Ultra Runners

Looking for suggestions for June 50-miler or 100K (Read 351 times)

Trail Dog

You may want to talk to Amanda (RoxieRuns). I believe she did the stage race. If you decide to do it, let me know. I might be persuaded....

I ran only one day of the stage race (several years ago before I was running ultras or even marathons). It was the 18 mile stage on Raccoon Mountain, and it was fun and not too challenging. However, combine that with the other two stages and you've got a challenging training weekend. I've run the 20 and 22 mile courses as training runs, and they are tough. And hot - historically, temps in the upper 80s and potentially low 90s. Not Cascade Crest tough, but a solid weekend.

But... you've already got TN so no need to check those out for this training cycle. Too bad the GA Death Race is so early and the year - that would be great training. It is sold out, but a friend is the RD so I could ask him if they will have a wait list.

Having just moved from Georgia with running in the mountains and on the Appalachian Trail, DRT, BMT, I can say that Kettle Moraine would not be the best pick- the trails up here don't have any real climbs. They are challenging in their own way (like Glacial Trail 50, which I thoroughly enjoyed and was surprised by how difficult it was with the constant small ups and downs).

In the 4 corner states that you haven't bucketed (UT, NM, CO), these are the classic tough 50 milers:

Jemez 50 NM May25

Squaw Peak 50 UT June 1

San Juan Solstice 50 CO June 22  (aka Lake City 50)

13 hours is mid-pack for these races.  While they will make you stronger and are great preparation for the CCC, they require the same preparation as goal races, rather than simple tune-ups. For best results, train on difficult terrain (such as portions of the CCC course), have a good taper, and allow at least a month of no racing for a good recovery (2 months is better).  IMHO, runs like this are better prep for CCC than White River, due to the additional time for recovery.

The Jemez 50 course is again different for 2013 due to the Las Conchas Fire of 2011.  There generally aren't many opportunities to run organized (i.e. non-fat-ass) ultras in NM.  In fact, there are only three others, Cedro Peak (4/13), Angel Fire (6/29), and Mt. Taylor (9/13)

Squaw Peak and Lake City are well-known, well-organized races that have been around for a long time.  I believe Squaw is on a lottery system and registration is this week.

Big Horn is beautiful and is definitely WYs classic 50, but only has 1 climb and is net downhill -- probably not ideal prep for CCC.

BH Slogger

Here's my $.02 on Black Hills 100 and Bighorns. I live in the northern Black Hills and do many of my long runs on the BH 100 course. Yes, I believe it is deceptively hard, given our lower elevation and 'hills'. The course is all single track except for the first couple miles on bike path and open meadows. I am amazed to see mountain bikes on the Centennial Trail since it is more rugged than most single track around here. There is a lot of up and down running with no long stretches of either. It's rocky and wooded most of the way and I think the 50 mile and 100K covers the best of the course. I am the AS Captain at Dalton Lake, so if you choose the 100K option, you'll be turning around just past us. 2013 will be our third year, and we hope to see a higher finisher rate (33%). I think the weather was most to blame - hail, then heat. I am training for the Bighorn 100 for next year, having only run the 30K there. Many runners from our area go there, and it is also a difficult course. It is more mountainous with higher elevation and longer climbs. The advantage of both is the low humidity, no mosquitos, and cool nights. Let me know if I can provide any other info. Hope to see you out here!

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Silver City Idaho June 22  they offer a 100k

http://pickledfeetultras.com/scer/

AT-runner

Tim

Laurel Highlands 70.5 is in June.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Laurel Highlands 70.5 is in June.

Oooooo!  Great idea!  I desperately want to do that race soon.

Running is dumb.

Since we have a friend who's running the 100-mile and was eager to have people join her, my husband and I are heading to Bighorn!  (I'm in for the 50, hubby for the 100).  Really looking forward to it!

Runnerman Dan

Purveyor of peace & love

I ran the TN stage race last year, so I can try to answer any questions.  What Amanda said is true, the first day is fairly tame, the second day harder and the third day was most difficult with bigger climbs and more technical terrain.  I enjoyed it so much that I went back for the Lookout Mountain 50 miler a few weeks ago.

I've been asked to pace a friend for the Bighorn 100 and while it looks like a great race, I'm not sure if I can fit the travel into my work schedule.

Imminent Catastrophe

Join me for Bighorn 50!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Since we have a friend who's running the 100-mile and was eager to have people join her, my husband and I are heading to Bighorn!  (I'm in for the 50, hubby for the 100).  Really looking forward to it!

I'm in for the 100!

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Join me for Bighorn 50!

See my comment above; that's where I'm heading!!!  Hubby is running the 100, and we have 7 other friends who will be running the 100 as well.  Will be quite the party!

Trail Monster

I have nothing to add but I'm glad we have a 50 states group! I'll join in when I get home tonight. I only have 6 states so far but that's okay right?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

I ran North Fork last year as my first ultra, and it was a butt kicker for me. With that being said, I am going back this year, and would recommend it as a training run for other hilly races (I'm using it as a tuneup for Leadville this year). There was one particular section that I didn't care for last year, a ~3-4 mile section on gravel road that has been eliminated for this year. Instead, they have added an out-and-back route on the Colorado Trail that should be quite nice.

I feel like I got a LOT out of that race last year, and finished the Woodstock 50 nearly 3 hours faster with plenty left in the tank. It is also a really well organized race with a killer BBQ next to a nice mountain stream afterward. Highly recommended.

I only have 6 states so far but that's okay right?

Of course!  It's going to take me a LONG time to hit 50 states, but I'm in no hurry.

Kalsarikännit

I have nothing to add but I'm glad we have a 50 states group! I'll join in when I get home tonight. I only have 6 states so far but that's okay right?

I think it is nice just to be able to talk about races in states that don't get a lot of attention.  For example, I was dreading Nebraska. I didn't want to do the Lincoln or Omaha marathon. I was hoping they would secede before I had to race there. I ended up doing the Bohemian Alps 50k this Sept, and it was a fantastic race!  I'm so glad I went to Nebraska. Who says that?

It would be fun if someone smart in the group could make a spreadsheet for us to check off our states.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart