Ultra Runners

Bear 100 RR (Read 26 times)

nOOky

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Congrats on a hard-fought battle with the Bear.  Did you really not eat any solid food for the entire race?  I can't go an hour without eating solid food, and that's just sitting at my desk.    Laughing about your hot ass.  Not laughing about hiccups, which I hate with a passion.  Or the stick in your leg, which is kind of the last thing you need when running 100 miles.  Nice job, thanks for the RR.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

nOOky

Thanks M. As for the solid food, I did manage a cup of chicken noodle soup past the halfway point, and heading out of that aid station I immediately felt better. However nothing else solid would go down, and after that even more chicken noodle soup would help, so I was kind of stuck.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Sandy-2

Hi n00ky,

Nice job, congratulations !!!!  Thanks for the RR, I really enjoyed reading it. It reminded me a lot of things out there. We were traveling in similar circles. Did you eat at the wood fire pizza place?  I got lucky at sat at the counter.

I laughed at at getting a song stuck in your head, I heard “Seeet Caroline” at one of the aid stations and had to start singing another song out loud to myself to get Neil Diamond out on my head.

Recover well.

tbd.

Pain is my friend

Love the Bear 100.   I have paced someone for the last 4 years. This year my runner dropped at Temple.  I stopped in to Tony grove and picked up another friend.  Then ran to Beaver lodge.  Next year is my year to run it.  Love the report.  Great job.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

nOOky

Curious how it compares to Wasatch, I'd like to run that one also.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Congrats!  I really enjoyed your RR and appreciate the details.  Sucks about that piece of tree stuck in your leg.  Hope it works its way out without issue.  Something like that would annoy me to no end, and I'd probably have to take a knife to it.  Too funny about Beyonce though!  Rest and recover well.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

drock69

Congrats on finishing that! Sounds like you had lots to get through, with the cold and the massive sliver. I don't think I could go that long on just Tailwind. Did you find the elevation had an effect? Looks like you went up to over 9k feet a couple times

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

Typed up a few thoughts here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ep381rMCSiRm0SR6oqirHeVWRhw6bspORHENTDHYUUI/edit?usp=sharing

Great report and pictures.  Looks beautiful. Thats a good tip not doing math when you are slogging. I found that demoralizing too.  Im also primarily going to base nutrition , like 2/3 of it on TW. At least as long as i can.  Like the quote by J.W. at the end!

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Great report Jay.  Congrats on the finish.  The Bear was going to be my first 100, but it didn't happen.  I consider Logan my second home with my Grandparents living there and many trips visiting the area.  Stunning colors.  Great training trips in your report.  I like the hill repeats until you are sick of them and also the importance of downhill running.  Too bad about the cold, probably was the biggest factor in your struggles.  Hope you got that stick extracted.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

nOOky

Elevation definitely had an effect, as did the cold. Especially in the second half my breathing was the limiting factor. Today, 5 days later my head is plugged up and I'm still in the teeth of whatever this cold thing is.

I'm making an appointment today to get the stick removed, I'm tired of it lol

Congrats on finishing that! Sounds like you had lots to get through, with the cold and the massive sliver. I don't think I could go that long on just Tailwind. Did you find the elevation had an effect? Looks like you went up to over 9k feet a couple times

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

Omg I am so grossed out by that stick situation. And honestly I think the pinky would have freaked me out, too, especially when you mentioned that it was getting colder than the other fingers. I'm such a wimp.

Congratulations on fighting through a lot. Interesting that the biggest climb is the first one, that's kind of nice. You don't have it looming out there. Not that the others look like much of a treat, but still, sometimes the little things help psychologically. I hope you're coming around from your cold now.