Ultra Runners

April 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 40 times)

drock69

Gatsby - that looks like a great 50k! That's really green for California

Beryl - yeah, should be less time looking for the trail during the race, I've done the trails a few times, and feel like I could do the course unmarked now

FunkyHd - maybe wait until the Speedgoats go on sale? I love them so far, we'll see what I think after doing 100k in them

me - mostly biking last week, was dealing with some knee pain, which seems to be mostly gone now. I did a night run with clubfatass on Saturday, starting at 8pm, a couple other slower 100k racers wanted to do the last 11k of the course in the dark, so we did 17km/10.6mi with 830m/2722' of climbing. Was good to test out my lights, have a handheld Nathan fire 300, and a Petzl tikka headlamp, the headlamp is a little underpowered, but really liked the technical trails with the flashlight. These trails are technical, and there's a few part where you wouldn't want to fall off the edge (there's a rope handrail in one section). Rained pretty heavy all day, and was light to moderate rain throughout the run, even though it was clear in the distance, and you could see the city lights. They waited for me a bit on some of the climbs, I think I did pretty good for my second ever night run though. The fast group went ahead, but only finished about 10 minutes ahead. We stopped and took some not so good photos at the lookouts. Was fun running with some more experienced people, one person just finished Hurt 100, and the list of races that some people have coming up is mind boggling. Taper this week, so only a couple short runs, will spend some time prepping, getting my gear and drop bags ready. Race starts at 4am, and I'm about a 45 min. drive away, so not going to be much of a sleep on Friday  night!

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

paul2432

Nice race Gatsby.  Is there a trail somewhere in that photo?

Here is my week:

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Apr 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
      Mon 4.0 11:54 Easy run with 1.6 miles at 10% in the middle 800* strava
      Tue 9.0 8:42 Bit of a hodge podge 1500* strava
      Wed 6.0 8:45 Afternoon Run 0 strava
      Thu 9.0 10:50 Misty morning 1489 strava
      Thu 5.0 9:56 TM with 2 miles at 10% 1000* strava
      Fri 7.2 8:43 Afternoon Run (with 8x1 min hard uphill 30 seconds easy) 934 strava
      Sat 12.0 10:07 Afternoon Run 2148 strava
      Sun 7.1 12:26 Morning Run 1223 strava
        59.3 10:06   9094  

*TM - gain based on incline % and distance

Tuesday was a supposed to be 6x5 minutes hard uphill, but did the first couple too hard so did a couple more at just 2-3 minutes then did a fast-finish flat at the end.  Sunday felt super sluggish and turned into a hike/run.  Planned 15 when I left the house but cut it to 7.

I have two races this week - a 5K for the Ventura County Corporate Games - I'll run it around 10K pace which should be good for an AG placement and earn some points for my company in the games.  Then I have the LD50 (miler) on Saturday.  Taking it easy the rest of the week (with rest days Tuesday and Friday).

Goal for LD 50 is sub-9:00.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Paul good luck on LD, looks like you have some good elevation each week there getting ready for WS

Berly    24 hr race would be a relief for someone like me who took 29 hrs to finish 100, but for someone who is fast and takes like 16-18 hr it would be "graduate level" because they are running faster for more miles.

Gatsby, that looks nice and lush.  Good job.  I am impressed how symmetric that mountain you went up and down is by its profile

WC thanks for that link.  I need to do one of those races.  Logistically they just seem so much simpler for packing/nutrition.  There are a bunch around here but so far timing has not worked out.  I may have to travel more afield.

My week was about 45 miles.  I have been alternating easy running with walking TM or intervals run/walk outside, no workouts, and did a couple days strength training.  Had no ITB issues all week.  I had a nice 20 mile run LR @9:01 pace/mile including some hiking, finishing up in mid 8s, so feeling pretty strong.  First 20 of the season and I think it means at least cardio wise I am trained well.  My ITB was fine until the next day and then it flared again.  So I am going to have to get more serious about taking it easy.  Race is in a couple weeks so I can justify that as a taper.  Its so annoying to be trained up well cardio but basically sidelined from injury.  Its like I can have one or the other not both.  So usually I revert to just slow easy paced trail stuff to avoid injury.  Just enough to keep whatever is left of my sanity during the taper.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Kinda funny, juvenile video of Ultra and Tri weirdly animated shit talking Euro-bots.  Warning some things not PC and may not be suitable for work/ young children, but overall pretty benign.

Funny Ultramarathon vs. Triatholon video

I just may change my name to "smelly ultrarunning donkey" lol

GC100k

Kinda funny, juvenile video of Ultra and Tri weirdly animated shit talking Euro-bots.  Warning some things not PC and may not be suitable for work/ young children, but overall pretty benign.

Funny Ultramarathon vs. Triatholon video

I just may change my name to "smelly ultrarunning donkey" lol

Funny. "... is ultrarunning just for fat people who just can't run very fast but have a very high tolerance for boredom?"

I resemble that remark.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

fnkyhd - Hope you're enjoying the trip and good luck this weekend!

paul and drock - Good luck in your races!

TH - So frustrating about that ITB.  Hope you can keep it in check between now and the race.  Glad you were able to run that 20 at a good clip though.

WC - Is the D3 on a 400m track?

RWD - Having a race to look forward to helps.  Hope the weather breaks and helps pick things up.  Been a long winter.

I watched Ouray on Amazon.  Since I'm a noob, I'm keeping my mouth shut until I hear what others say.   I'll check out the other video when I get home.

Got 63.4 in last week.  Went out Sat morning planning for 20, but the wind was pretty harsh, so I stopped at 12.  Then did 8 later in the evening.  25 on Sunday.  Wind was still strong but I kept a pretty steady pace, ate solid foods, but it must have caught up with me.  I bonked pretty hard the last few miles.  The last mile I had to sit down a couple times.  Walking was just as hard as shuffling.  It got me freaked out a bit because while I've faded on training runs, I've never bonked like that before.  Or even in a race for that matter.  Hope I'm not doing more damage than good.  Will cut back this week.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC - Is the D3 on a 400m track?

Yes, 125 laps for 50K. We change direction every 4 hours, but that's more for the 12- and 24-hour runners. If I have to change direction twice I'm in big trouble. Let me correct that. Since the 50K has a 9:00 am start two hours after the 24-hour gets started, I will have two direction changes. A third would be a disaster.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Yes, 125 laps for 50K. 

That's impressive you can go that far and long on that surface.  Couldn't imagine 12 or 24 hours.  Of course, I'll have my own challenges at Montour, but I'm hoping the trail will help break things up.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

gatsby, nice job! good to see you back on the trails!

bert nice b2b. perhaps the bonk is good for you? some ppl do that on ourpose for fat adaptation.

paul gl at your races

beryl, going home quickest way via nevada hwy 93. its a nice way to drive.

drock, gl to you too!

im reading all the posts but stuck on my mobile for now. race on sat so maybe just some easy hikes next few days. trying to deal with allergy induced migraine? dry weather, wind and pollen here. and its been hot. race forecast calls for low of 31 and high of 70. kinda hard to dial that in. gonna be a cold start and a hot day! ya 70 feels hot

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend

There was snow on the ground earlier this week, today its 70s and sunny go figure great day for a run!

Trails are dried out and runnable, I found a nice 10 mile loop of single track to practice hike and run for Kettle 100K.  Now I need to find a hot as hell and humid praire to run in.  But I am not gonna run that this year anyway, just hike it.

WC- you mention changing directions makes it harder or you don't like to? how come that is, or did I misunderstand.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC- you mention changing directions makes it harder or you don't like to? how come that is, or did I misunderstand.

If I have to change direction a third time, I've been out there running much to long for a 50K. 2 hours to the first change, 4 hours to the second change. If I'm out there another 4 hours for a third change, that's 10 hours and I'm running a 50K with ZERO vertical gain and a flat artificial surface especially designed for running. I should be able to walk a 50K faster than that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

drock69

Good luck to all the racers this weekend!

funkyHd - maybe a desert 70f will feel cooler, I'm sure direct sun is a factor though too

bert-o - bonking is no fun, worst bonks for me have always been cycling

trail hound - enjoy the weather!

me - bought a new headlamp last night, Petzl Actik, 300 lumens and takes aaa batteries. Weather is looking better for the race, with some sun and just a bit of rain. Trying to figure out nutrition, going to try using cliff bars, bonk bars and gels, as well as aid station food, I find I never take enough aid station food, and it's hard to keep track of calories. Thinking I might pack a cheap poncho for the start of the race, if it's rainy, a lot of people DNF'd the race last year because of the wet/cold weather, so will have some extra clothing in my drop bag as well

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

Zumbro 100 starts tomorrow morning, 50 miler starts at midnight Fri/Sat, and the 17 miler starts on Saturday. The weather looks insane - winter storm watches/warnings abound. I am glad I am not running it!

Pain is my friend

My first 24 hour race I changed directions every hour.  But every loop was 2.5 miles. I am looking to do a few more 24 hour races next year.

Yes, 125 laps for 50K. We change direction every 4 hours, but that's more for the 12- and 24-hour runners. If I have to change direction twice I'm in big trouble. Let me correct that. Since the 50K has a 9:00 am start two hours after the 24-hour gets started, I will have two direction changes. A third would be a disaster.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Pain is my friend

I am back to running full speed.  Last week I ran 36 miles.  Most miles where easy.  I did a 16 miler Saturday with a tempo run after 4 miles.  Ave 6:17 for 5 miles. I was hoping to run 6 miles but couldn't hold the pace.  Next week I will try another tempo run for 6-7 miles.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?