Ultra Runners

October 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

strambo

Krash, nice week!

Thanks for the additional nutrition info and resources berylrunner.  I really liked the Trail butter, healthy ingredients and a good mix of fats, protein, and natural sugars.   I ate it towards the end though, should have munched it sooner I guess. I can't mentally handle the idea of ingesting a bunch of sugar gels, so more whole foods sounds good to me.

drock69

Berylrunner - probably wouldn't work going off trail here, there are different routes you can follow, and where it starts, might be better to run some of it on the road. So not a true Fell Run

FnkyHd - the Van100 route isn't easy to follow, would want to do it with someone ideally. Especially in early June, some parts still have a lot of snow, so there are some snow bridges and the route isn't easy to follow. Thinking it would take over 20 hours.

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

Here's my race report for Twin Cities! A fun day with nice cool weather and overcast skies.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Here's my race report for Twin Cities! A fun day with nice cool weather and overcast skies.

RWD.  Nice repotting. I agree the throwing cups down is lame.  I mean if your balzing (sic) fast maybe, but 95% of people should be able to manage a garbage can without loosing a ton of time.  Along the same lines, why do trail runs even have cups sometimes?  That also seems unnecessary.

Question RE: 100 pacing:   Im trying to figure out a pacing strategy.  The race is 5x 20 miles. I cant decide if i should run them all even or go faster at first using the daylight and not rainy weather.   I just cant see being able to run them even.  I guess maybe shoot for a less positive split.

Ive been tapering/ hardly running. Its scary how a couple days off, i get lethargic, dont have energy.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

RWD, i agree about littering too! i got so pissed the first time i did a half and saw ppl walkign and doing that not ever trying for the garbage can. dont get mad but i still think your nutrition isnt very good. for most of the time humans have been here we hardly eat and carbs at all and just in the last hundred years we are suddenly eating mostly carbs...processed ones. those bagels are grains turned to dust (something inedible) and then artificially re-"enriched" because the processing removed all of it's nutritional value...and all the bread, cake and everything else at the starbux counter

TMH, good luck with the taper! i read the course decription. "off camber grass sections" ...?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

RWD, i agree about littering too! i got so pissed the first time i did a half and saw ppl walkign and doing that not ever trying for the garbage can. dont get mad but i still think your nutrition isnt very good. for most of the time humans have been here we hardly eat and carbs at all and just in the last hundred years we are suddenly eating mostly carbs...processed ones. those bagels are grains turned to dust (something inedible) and then artificially re-"enriched" because the processing removed all of it's nutritional value...and all the bread, cake and everything else at the starbux counter

TMH, good luck with the taper! i read the course decription. "off camber grass sections" ...?

It isn't great, but my stomach is also not great, so I eat stuff I know will go down ok. I eat better than I used to, overall, but I also am very unlikely to be a runner who brings, like, bags of mashed sweet potatoes to races.

Pain is my friend

Question RE: 100 pacing:   Im trying to figure out a pacing strategy.  The race is 5x 20 miles. I cant decide if i should run them all even or go faster at first using the daylight and not rainy weather.   I just cant see being able to run them even.  I guess maybe shoot for a less positive split.

With most 100 miles you will run slower the last half of the race. It is not impossible to run a negative split.  Depending on the race course I will run faster at first when I am fresh and have day light.  But if it is a hot day I will run slower and wait for the sun to go down.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

berylrunner

Rick

Fnkyhd - read the report.  Didn't see any glaring issues.  Didn't you mention it was cold?  When it gets dark, it is hard to maintain temperature when you are going slow.  Some mental things going on.  Not fully recovered from surgery possibly?  Anyway, I think you made the right call in this situation if you were concerned about safety.  I think a pacer would have helped.  Maybe a pain in the ass to convince you to continue, but even a pain in the ass is company.  It gets lonely in the dark and minor problems seem to become major problems.  Congrats on the mileage and effort.

Treadmill - I am similar to Krash.  A good start to knock out some early miles, slow down during the afternoon, get a second wind when it gets dark.  I have tried a slower pace at the beginning and it was very mentally draining.  Must have worked however because I had a good night portion and a very strong finish.  Even pacing would be very difficult.  What is your finish goal?  At 28 hours that is a 5.5 hour first lap.  That would be very difficult to run that slow.  I say keep things comfortable, don't push, don't surge to pass people, walk often.  Run by feel?  Leave the gadgets?  I think being a slave to an even pace takes away from the experience (ha, now I am marathon training, hypocrite).  Have a great race.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

T Hound

Slower but happier

Pacing.  Yeah not sure i can mentallyhandle even pacing.  Basically i want to knock out the first 50 because after thing get tougher-stomach, cold, dark, pain.  I have good feel for my 50-100k paces through those races, so i will make sure to stay a little behind that.

Im packing, again, today.  Im definitely going overboard, but since i almost dropped due to hypothermia, im basically going to have a crap load of warm clothes.  I have enough halloween candy, maybe i should

reverse trick or treat during the race.

(Fkyhd.  My training/ race nutrition is horrible too.  Probally why i still have belly fat despite the running, that and beer/ice cream).  I am thinking after this race to get healthy.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Decided there really was no sense in postponing registration for Crooked Road 24 on Nov 17th, so I'm in for that. Don't know if I'll really be ready to go the full 24 hours, but I'll go as long as I can. I think SeattleMax may be there.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Fnkyhd - read the report.  Didn't see any glaring issues.  Didn't you mention it was cold?  When it gets dark, it is hard to maintain temperature when you are going slow.  Some mental things going on.  Not fully recovered from surgery possibly?  Anyway, I think you made the right call in this situation if you were concerned about safety.  I think a pacer would have helped.  Maybe a pain in the ass to convince you to continue, but even a pain in the ass is company.  It gets lonely in the dark and minor problems seem to become major problems.  Congrats on the mileage and effort.

I wrote the report immediately after but my recent comment was after more thought about the situation. now also think altitude was probably a big factor. most of the course was around 5k. I know that's not a lot but I have run a few events around that and always end up wondering why I was so wiped out. emotionally I admit I was lonely and feeling bad that my pacer bailed on me just a few weeks before the event. she had a very good reason but that may have made the difference and it just made me think about all the times my so-called friends have bailed on me in the past and it brought me down a lot and then another friend passed & dropped me when I was really down and I realized you cant rely on anyone to help you but then at the same time that makes the 'why' stronger and the attitude of "who gives a @#$% anyway"  kinda takes over and then I was done, because I was thinking of the people who haven't bailed on me and those are my family and my family certainly does not give a crap whether I finish or not...but it's all good because if the friend who left me like that had stopped and tried to help me that may have cost her the race because she was in pretty bad shape at that point also, and I am really happy that she did finish. id be feeling a lot worse if I had brought her down at all

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

Treadmillhound - good luck this weekend! First 100 is huge, hope to do one next year. Sounds like you're well prepared. I don't think you're the only ultra runner with a bad diet, I'm sure a lot of people could use help in that department.

FnkyHd - it sounds like a lot of the battle with longer races is finding your inner strength to finish. I've yet to finish a 100 miler or even 100k, I battled stomach problems in my 100k dnf, and think I gave up too early. I think you made the right decision to drop, considering the safety issues, having warm enough clothes seems to be a good take away from your race (and a lot of people doing their first 100M)

Been sick this week, so hardly any mileage. Still well enough to go to work, hopefully get some good runs in on the weekend

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

TM Hound, have a great race this weekend!

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

RWD

Go Krash! Go Treadmill Hound!!!! I'm rooting for you both!!!!

And SeattleMax has that Euchre Bar Massacre thing this weekend too.  Good luck!

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR