Ultra Runners

October 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

Pain is my friend

Dugway 30k rocked. Killer steep downhill and fun to bombing them. 3,000k vert. It was in the middle of no where on a military base in the west desert of Utah. Was shooting for a sub 3 hour. Missed it by 2 min. Missed a turn and had to turn around. Added about .25 of a mile. Small race. Finished 1st of 7. Best swag ever. Cool trophy.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

nOOky

Here's my race report for Twin Cities! A fun day with nice cool weather and overcast skies.

I like that race, I've done it twice. I find the crowd support to be the best thing about it. That and running downhill past the church to the finish!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

berylrunner

Rick

Hey Krash.  Congrats on the WIN!!!  Noticed you changed your timed event from Across the Years to Jackpot.  I have wanted to do that race.  Closer than Phoenix but the Vegas air can be pretty bad plus some pavement on the course.  Are you coming down for Cory's or Turdl's race in December?

65 miles for the week 4,000 gain.  Mid-week long run of 16.  Weekend trail run was very pretty but had to cut it short because of snow.  Looks like the higher trails are out until next year.

Plan for this week is to front load the miles and do a one day taper for the 50k.  Going to take it easy and enjoy the day.  Hopefully good weather.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

drock69

Go Krash and Seamax!

I'm following a local guy that runs with the Buntzen Burners, he's doing Moab 240, he's just over 150 miles in

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Krash, congrats! w. utah & nevada scenery so intense.

hope TMH, Seamax doing well.

weekly check-in to feel some sense of responsibility anyway 45.6M, 5180'. had a nice LR tues and then took an extra day off. thinking about trying this more but schedule may not allow. nice run today too made me think about having a quiet mind and how much i enjoy that and how good it is for me and restful...and i thought about that in races and honestly i think all the greeting, encouraging and chatting with others runners drains me some. i do try to practice kindness wherever i go and would like for that to be my default so all esle said and done i should continue my best at that but sometimes training i can just zone out...and i can zone out in a way that my body can still react to rocks and roots and things but socially i am just not there. and it's nice Smile

oh and i got 2 new pairs of a clifton-1 reissue from lrs. !!! so stoked! 

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Finished The Indianna Trail 100.  A dramatic play in three acts. 29:30ish, chasing the 30 hr cutoff.  Same thing happened to me last year at Tunnel 100, 29 something.  I will get a report out soon.  I want to start a 29 hr club, get tshirts or something.  But im not doing another hundred...ever.

Congrats to Krash as well!

hope to hear something from Seamax on his race

Beryl.  One day taper for a 50K!! Slacking off I see.

Fnkyhd. up and running, great

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Treadmill, congrats on your race.  I look forward to reading the report.

Fnkyhd, nice week.  Getting some good gain in.  I do most of my running alone so I enjoy the social aspect of the races.  I am probably the annoying chatty guy.  I hear you about zoning out or just wanting to focus.  My usual is just a "hi" or a head nod.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

Treadmill, congrats on your race.  I look forward to reading the report.

Fnkyhd, nice week.  Getting some good gain in.  I do most of my running alone so I enjoy the social aspect of the races.  I am probably the annoying chatty guy.  I hear you about zoning out or just wanting to focus.  My usual is just a "hi" or a head nod.

I am definitely the annoying chatty girl, sorry folks. Better hope that you don’t run into me at a race!  Although I can  tell when my company is not wanted.  Usually.  

I’m just chugging away getting read for a road marathon in AZ in November, Revel Mt. Lemmon.  I’m kind of itching to get back on the trails and plan some races for next year, though, so this ultra break has served its purpose.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

RWD

Krash, congrats! w. utah & nevada scenery so intense.

hope TMH, Seamax doing well.

weekly check-in to feel some sense of responsibility anyway 45.6M, 5180'. had a nice LR tues and then took an extra day off. thinking about trying this more but schedule may not allow. nice run today too made me think about having a quiet mind and how much i enjoy that and how good it is for me and restful...and i thought about that in races and honestly i think all the greeting, encouraging and chatting with others runners drains me some. i do try to practice kindness wherever i go and would like for that to be my default so all esle said and done i should continue my best at that but sometimes training i can just zone out...and i can zone out in a way that my body can still react to rocks and roots and things but socially i am just not there. and it's nice Smile

oh and i got 2 new pairs of a clifton-1 reissue from lrs. !!! so stoked! 

Obviously you know from my RRs that this is also me. I don't even like to be AROUND people who are chatting (I always seem to be stuck in front of 2 women gabbing away for hours on end) when I'm racing. This was a bit of a problem at TCM - there were a lot of people around who were encouraging and energizing, but after awhile it becomes too much. Like, I don't want to high-five a bunch of kids -- but then I feel bad running by them, because I DO like to be nice to people who are encouraging. I'm practically in tears at aid stations sometimes because I'm overwhelmed with gratitude -- but I've also had an hour or two of solo time to be able to appreciate this interaction.

drock69

I don't mind encouraging other racers as I pass them, out and backs can be draining, I feel like an automaton just repeating the same thing over and over. Diez Vistas was bad for that, a really long out and back, and the 50k and 100k racers overlapped there. I find running alone for 4 or 5 hours can be a bit much sometimes, usually I don't mind though, seems to happen to me most races, I find when I run with someone I usually end up slowing down too much, or I just can't keep up with them

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

With ultras it seems sometimes I like being around people sometimes not.  You can give a lot of positive energy and that can give you a boost.  Other times I might slow down or speed up to get away from a chatty group.  A good AS is a great way to get positive love (something a little off with that statement not sure what).  My brain spews out a lot of negativity deep into the race and counterbalancing that is good.  There is actually a study where they show pictures of smiling people to athletes and they out perform the controls.  I think even when these flash so fast they couldn’t consciously see them.  Also one where they activate the smile muscles (but not by smiling) and this also gives a boost compared to frowning muscles.  Over the top “rah rah, woo hoo” stuff can be fatiguing to an introvert like myself, but in measured doses is great.

I was alone most of the night and it was pretty monotonous,  I can see having some people running along or a pacer would make it easier or give you some distraction. I remember thinking as I walked for hours alone at night so much for the romance of solitary hiking through the woods.  

I also like dogs, so if I see one that makes me happy.  The one thing at my last race that was annoying was some guy blasting music, mostly because it was really shitty music and these were multi use trails.  I think the best pacer would be a good doggo.  I think they more or less have to let in service dogs everywhere, so maybe I can bring one for a pacer and my UDD (ultra dysfunction disorder).

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

TMH UDD. lol. today there was a mangy dog running around in the 7-11 and when the lady suggested the dog shouldn't be in there a junkie said it was a service dog. and to crosspost from strava: congrats!

i can get chatty too. i dont mean to say it's a bad thing but it does drain me sometimes just because i am spending energy just trying to make conversation...and ya those out and backs can be rough that way...or a loop...but if it's funny then it gives energy! i have some friends who like to do "guys night". it is so freaking boring i asked the ladies if i could go to ladies night instead (the wives of the same guys & DW do ladies night). the guys were like: 'duh' 

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

I put the IT100 race report in the forum, but since not everyone sees that, here is the link:

Indiana Trail 100 Race Report

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

So far behind:

Race planning: I guess I'm on the OCD side relative to a lot of you, but I do a lot of schedule planning.  I have a list of events I think I'd like to do sometime, and then I keep a running list of things I might do in the next year.  That helps in a few ways.  First, over time hopefully I hit the things I care most about.  Second, as many of you have noted, you have to plan way in advance for some things and sign up early.  Third, it helps me leave holes for for the non-event things (e.g. R2R2R and local stuff) that I want to fit in.  Finally, it forces me to decide which things I really care about so I can train somewhat reasonably.  It's also fun thinking ahead.  Planning doesn't preclude changing things around but it helps me avoid big screwups.  Sometimes.

DHuffman: Badger Mountain 50 has the same cutoffs as the BMC 100.  Late March in eastern WA, usually doesn't sell out.  Well organized.

Drock: That 50/50 is pretty brutal on your body, especially if you come out of it with any kind of issue.  If you care about the WAM, I'd skip the 50/50.

Strambo: Great time in your near-50k!

Solid/Real Food Vs Plastic Food: For me it's mostly about variety.  In short races, I can eat the same thing the whole time.  In long races, I get tired of stuff.  I use plastic food between aid stations and try to eat the solid stuff at aid stations.  Even then, "solid" often turns into "Coke" later in the race.

Pacing 100s: In theory, the best approach is to start at a pace/effort you can sustain for exactly 100 miles (or the race distance).  It's basically impossible to do that in trail races and if conditions aren't perfect.  Also, in most trail races it's not at all about pace, it's about effort.  The most useful and actionable advice I've ever heard about 100s is "if you'd walk it in the last 1/3, walk it in the first 1/3".  There's also "if it feels like you are going slowly, slow down" but I've never been able to internalize that.

Krash For The Win!

Treadmill: Congrats on that finish!  Chasing cutoffs - that's the main reason I train, so that doesn't happen very often.  And I know that feeling about never signing up for another again.  When's your next one?    The thing I'm most impressed with is that you considered dropping mid-race, and somehow continued.  Usually that's the death knell for a finish.

GatsbyBird:  Hi!

Being Social At Races:  I've been joking lately that as I become more misanthropic, trail running is becoming more and more important for me.  I'm not sure I'm really joking.  But I do enjoy talking to people out there, and usually when I say something ridiculous they don't realize that I'm joking.  So they probably don't enjoy me.  Dang misanthropes...

I DNF'd at Euchre Bar Massacre - most people do - but, as I say in my race report, it was really fun.

dhuffman63

Trails

Thanks I'll check that one out.

Oh due to MIL going into hospice I've pulled out of Pumpkin Holler and the KUS 12 hour. Too much unsettled to be away right now. Still have Brazos 50 miler on tap.