Ultra Runners

October 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

There's another Laz race this weekend, Big's Backyard Ultra, that I'm tracking. i don't think we have anyone from the forum there, but it's packed with big names. Last year it wasn't decided until the 59th lap of the 4.1667 mile loop, one loop per hour until only one runner completes the loop in the time limit.

Here is the link.  Personally, this format is a last stomach standing because inevitably I reach a point in an ultra where I need some walking or stopping awhile for that. Of course, sooner than these guys/gals.

https://my3.raceresult.com/110552/results?lang=en

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

It's fun watching BBU.  Three local boys in the race plus all the stars.  I like the question about race strategy - treat it like a 48 hour (60? 72?) race with minimal rests or finish the loops quickly to get more rest.

RWD: Do you not sleep because you are nervous?  I didn't sleep before IMTUF and it wrecked my race, but it was because I was cold.  My only advice is that it's just a race.  It will be hard, you might do well, you might not finish, but it's just a race and there are other races.  I've spoken with Courtney Dauwalter a couple times and she is so present and relaxed outside of races - and it sounds like she continues that through the races.  Intensely present, as in crushing what's happening right now in the race, and before the race not worrying about what is ahead.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

It's fun watching BBU.  Three local boys in the race plus all the stars.  I like the question about race strategy - treat it like a 48 hour (60? 72?) race with minimal rests or finish the loops quickly to get more rest.

RWD: Do you not sleep because you are nervous?  I didn't sleep before IMTUF and it wrecked my race, but it was because I was cold.  My only advice is that it's just a race.  It will be hard, you might do well, you might not finish, but it's just a race and there are other races.  I've spoken with Courtney Dauwalter a couple times and she is so present and relaxed outside of races - and it sounds like she continues that through the races.  Intensely present, as in crushing what's happening right now in the race, and before the race not worrying about what is ahead.

RWD

Bummer.  I didnt sleep at all well before the 100, too excited, and w the time change ended up loosing an hour.  Id would like more Fri night starts because basically im ready to go and no point in delay and after the race more recovery and one less hotel night to pay for!   It seems like after a few cofees and the race starts any lingering thoughts of it dissapear.

RWD.  To answer your question from Strava about the recording, it is a Fenix 3, it lasts 15hrs regular mode for me w HR.    It charges on the go. You can keep it on your wrist while charging.  This time I put in my pack for a loop so i didnt have to look at.  That was nice.  At the end it ran out again around 98. I used wrist HR for about 40 mi.  At this point though, if i got s watch, it would need to have music/spotify capability because the giant phone thing has gotten old. I think the newer Fenix/935s have this.

I really only need 2-3 hours. Just enough that I can close my eyes and re-set. Instead I'm lying there trying to distract my mind by, like, reciting multiplication tables in my head (something that works in other scenarios), and my heart rate is like 85 bpm. I ran 11 miles today instead and kind of realized I shouldn't have been out there doing a 50 miler anyway. My legs are still kinda tired from 2 marathons in a month's time. I think now I'm going to run a half marathon in November since I had such a nice half split at Twin Cities.

Seamax -- I think I am more nervous about not sleeping than about running, at this point. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have charged my watch on the go, too (I did it at FANS) -- but dang that is some great battery life.

berylrunner

Rick

76 miles for the week.  Over 9,000 gain.  Thunderbird 50k ended up being 32.5 miles, 7200 gain.  A great event, perfect weather.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

76 miles for the week.  Over 9,000 gain.  Thunderbird 50k ended up being 32.5 miles, 7200 gain.  A great event, perfect weather.

So that is how you taper for a Beer Mile? Have fun at Javelina. I assume you're only running the Beer Mile and not the 100K or 100M. Are you crewing?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                    06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

berylrunner

Rick

Yes, just pacing and crewing a friend.  I wanted to run the race with him but didn't have the $.  That went to a ski pass.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Beryl, sounds like a nice event. i take it you werent going for time? Javelina is on my short list for another shot at 100...or coldwater...or maybe lumberjack up here. flights to phx so expensive.

RW, i am the same way about sleep. when i know i need it real bad i stay awake worrying about it. that is so messed up!

speaking of flights just signed up for black canyon again. ppl please dont cough into your hands when you are sick and then touch everything unless you want to get everyone else sick!...and so i can make it to BC this time. thanks! hey you'll know who you are when you catch yourself doing it! little kids know better!

43.7 M 2799' the week ending today. taking a little off on both mileage and intensity cos my knees are still hurting. i think it might be my riding position on my commuter ebike which l love to ride so of course its gonna mess me up somehow. but i am trying my best to drive less and less so enev though its hurting my knees i am still hoping to get used to it somehow. raised the seat about an inch above the line on the seatpost and still have knees quite bent. carkeek saturday. love that this is a timed event and also in the afternoon. 1pm start means dont have to take a vacay day. thanks to G for agreeing to close for me!!!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

39 miles with 6900' of vert. in 3 runs for me, with just over an hour of cycling. Did almost 21 miles yesterday, and was long, almost 9 hours. Started at sea level, and ran with the group up to Mt. Beautiful which is around 3900'. I took it easy on Saturday, and thought I was recovered from the sickness I had. felt okay for the first part of the run but as we started climbing the steep stuff, I started to feel worse. Everyone waited for me at the peak but I slowed the group quite a bit. Did better on the downhill, there was still quite a bit of up and down though. Jogged in to the finish, and struggled back to my car. Ended up throwing up beside my car. Thankfully that passed, so I was able to drive home. Feeling a bit better today, going to take a few days to recuperate

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Down to 4 at Big's.  I'm a huge Courtney fan, but it's hard not to root for local hero Gavin Woody.  I'm guessing he'll make it to the final 3, and then I have no clue who of the 3 will finish it out or how long it will take.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Down to 4 at Big's.  I'm a huge Courtney fan, but it's hard not to root for local hero Gavin Woody.  I'm guessing he'll make it to the final 3, and then I have no clue who of the 3 will finish it out or how long it will take.

This is an incredible year. Last year and 2014 are the only  previous years two runners went beyond 40 laps. This year there are 8. Last year was the first time two went beyond 50 laps, though 2014 had some special circumstances with the last two both stopping after 49.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                              06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

strambo

40 miles this week, 16 mile trail run followed by a 10k yesterday at what I think my "race pace" would be...if I raced 10ks.  49:45, was just shooting for anything under 50.

I got the "Feedzone Portables" book and really enjoyed all the info in the beginning about digestion and liquid vs. solid foods, absorption rates etc.  Right up my alley since I never wanted to get into eating gels etc. anyway.  I'd rather save $ making my own portables...

Good job everyone!  I'll be slowly increasing my mileage, this week;s plan is 44, next week 48.  Signed up for the Tillamook Burn 50mi in April, has I think 8700ft elev. gain.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

It is indeed incredible, but I also think it's the first year that a critical mass of talent showed up.  I'm speaking out of my rear end here, but I suspect in the past a few amazing people showed up and injury got it down to one "quickly".  This year, a bunch of amazing people showed and even after injury took it's toll we were left with 3 seriously deranged people.

nOOky

It's been a slow month after my 100 miler. I had one week of rest, then work travel with long days and cruddy restaurant food set me back two weeks. I had a week of rest after that, but that still got me to where I was just feeling okay.

This week I am running a 50k Sunday so I need to do the taper thing somewhat. I'm just running it because it's the local race and my bib will be free, so no expectations other than a finish and a couple beers, hopefully.

I'm looking forward to some time where I can just run wherever and whatever I want to without worrying about training for something. Call me silly, but I'm looking forward to running in the snow and cold.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

berylrunner

Rick

Fnkyhd - Yep, a "just finish" goal that became a just get my friend to finish goal (couch to 50k).  He ran more miles in one day than his whole summer.  Ended up 7:33 and 16th out of 35.

Drock - Hope you get well.

Strambo - Nice week.  Glad you got some good info from the book.

Max - "deranged" runners sounds like you would fit in.  Put it on your list for next year.

Nooky - have a good 50k.  Hope the beer is good at the finish.  I need to get out of the state, my event was dry.