Ultra Runners

RWOL Ultra marathon forum.... (Read 89 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Seamax, thanks for the tracker. will def be thinking about you this weekend. what an amazing place to do that! im sure you know but get ready for big temp difference btw day & night

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RunningDenver

Moab 240 tracking info here:  https://pointlenana.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/moab-240-tracking/

I think it's 240 meters, or thereabouts.  Oohhh.... well, it looks like I'm wrong on that.

These long races are completely different beasts.  Half my house is packed into plastic drop boxes.  My plan has 30-75 minutes in every aid station just for eating and dealing with equipment.  The weather looks good for the first 2 days but it's too early to know about my second two days and if things don't go well there's a 5th day in the offing.  Still, I'm really looking forward to it - a very very simple life in a beautiful place.  I have to be one of the luckiest people in the world to get to do that.

Congrats to TrailHound and Bread!

240 miles ?!!  That's just silly !!!  Smile

Gorgeous part of the world.  Hopefully you're taking a camera as I'm sure there will be many stunning shots. Good luck - and enjoy !

______________________________________________________________________________

17:50 ('11) 37:23 ('16) 1.23:02 ('13) 2:53:22 ('13) 

2019: Leadville 50, Leadville 100, CIM

T Hound

Slower but happier

Moab 240 tracking info here:  https://pointlenana.wordpress.com/2017/10/09/moab-240-tracking/

I think it's 240 meters, or thereabouts.  Oohhh.... well, it looks like I'm wrong on that.

These long races are completely different beasts.  Half my house is packed into plastic drop boxes.  My plan has 30-75 minutes in every aid station just for eating and dealing with equipment.  The weather looks good for the first 2 days but it's too early to know about my second two days and if things don't go well there's a 5th day in the offing.  Still, I'm really looking forward to it - a very very simple life in a beautiful place.  I have to be one of the luckiest people in the world to get to do that.

Congrats to TrailHound and Bread!

I was reading the website looks cool.  Do you have crew or self supporting?   What pack are you using?  What’s your sleep plan?  Anyway, have fun, truly does look like a uniques experience

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Adding my big congrats to Obtuse and Breadnatty.  Impressive feats to be proud of.

Finished a 45-mile week yesterday.  The week was mainly 6- or 8-mile runs with some tempo or hills on three of the runs.

I'll probably run three more times this week before the race for a total of just 15 miles, stretch regularly, and try to eat well without gaining weight.  The forecast is not great: one says a low of 60 with a high of 70, another says 67 and 81; both say a chance of rain.  I would prefer 45 to 55, so I'm hoping the forecast is wrong.  More than anything, I think the weather will dictate my pace and goal.

Last year they had cheeseburgers and beer at the finish was perfect.  A lot of shade on the trail if I remember right.  Weather is so crazy here lately hard to know and good chance it will change.

skim1124

Running to eat

Last year they had cheeseburgers and beer at the finish was perfect.  A lot of shade on the trail if I remember right.  Weather is so crazy here lately hard to know and good chance it will change.

Yeah, I think I should just stop looking at the forecast until the day before because it's been changing daily.  Whatever the weather, I hope I can finish in good enough shape to really enjoy eating the burgers (which they'll have this year, too).

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

T Hound

Slower but happier

Hennepin 50 Race Report Correction:

Guys, I put this in the race report, but since likely no ones going to look back at that, I wanted to post it here:

Although they told me I won age group and gave me AG trophy, q couple days after the race I checked ultrasignup and there are 3 guys 40-49 AG ahead of me, so I am not sure what is going on, but I would be fourth at best.  I have sent a message to the RD to see if they want me to send this back or what the deal is.  But my guess is whoever was giving them out made a mistake.  I will post an update when I know more/hear back.  So another strange twist in a pretty straightforward race.  I no one really should care about an AG award in a relatively small field like this, but I guess I am a little disappointed to be honest.  But of course, I want to give proper recognition to the ones who earned it.  I am usually mid pack (except for 100K where I seemed to hang on for dear life), so I am still good with finishing 4th AG/13th overall.  At least I didn't get DQ for cutting the course and finishing early and I was technically overall first in the 47 mile race being its only runner.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

ive noticed that sometimes the results change over time on ultrasignup. not sure why.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

TrailHound - maybe they were using 45-49 age groups that don't show on ultrasignup? That is disappointing though, especially after they've already given you the award

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

good points, will wait to hear from RD, and moving on...

How would you guys pace a pretty flat 100?  Usually people say walk the uphills but there isn't really hills on mine.  I am thinking

to set up to pace it for goal 24 h and if it falls apart so be it, but at least give myself a chance. I am thinking for the 50 mile for 10-12 hours, of course if its 12 hours, then 24 h is likely not going to happen.  I was thinking of keeping the first 50 easy using the technique of effort, HR, avg pace I did at Hennepin.  My guess is then I would start out like a 10 min/mi pace (or whatever is easy/HR controlled), drift down over the 50 miles, hitting maybe 11 min/mile in the middle, then ending up more like 11:30-12 min mile if I am going by easy effort/HR.  I different approach would be walk/run from the start just keeping an even pace, for e.g. 12 min/mi pace.  This would be tedious, but would leave me with more reserve.  Maybe after running 5 miles, walk a bit until the average pace falls to 12 min/mi.  Then for the second 50 more go by feel/effort with I am sure more walk/run approach.  I figure walking through aid stations, walking anytime eating, and maybe periodically if the average pace gets too fast.

Many of the 100 milers were walking a good amount at Hennepin, but in different intervals, there were a few people that would blow by me then walk, and with a steady pace I would catch up, then we would leap frog like that with them walk running.  Then there were 100 milers walking as I was finishing up my 50, so that means they got down there pretty far relatively fast and then started walking more.  I would likely do longer stretches of easy running and walks.  I am sure whatever I set out to do, will change.

I really have no idea what I am doing, just making shit up, but hey its better than doing the work I should be doing now.

paul2432

ive noticed that sometimes the results change over time on ultrasignup. not sure why.

If multiple distances are offered sometimes folks change races at the last minute and get their result posted in the race they registered rather than the race they ran.  Some folks also drop down after the start.

My opinion is that drop downs (after the start) should not be eligible for awards, especially if the longer race started earlier (and cooler).

Some RDs post unofficial results to the race website before submitting to ultrasignup so these things can get sorted out.

RWD

If multiple distances are offered sometimes folks change races at the last minute and get their result posted in the race they registered rather than the race they ran.  Some folks also drop down after the start.

My opinion is that drop downs (after the start) should not be eligible for awards, especially if the longer race started earlier (and cooler).

Some RDs post unofficial results to the race website before submitting to ultrasignup so these things can get sorted out.

I agree with you that drop downs shouldn't be eligible for awards -- and honestly, unless they started at the same time and ran the same course (like they only did one loop instead of 2), it should be a DNF.

Hi everyone, I've been AWOL lately due to traveling. I'm not really running much, only like 30 mpw. So excited for Obtuse!!! Looking forward to hearing about Moab and anything else people are up to. Congrats Bread on the nice PR, too!

berylrunner

Rick

Good luck to the Racers this weekend.

100 mile pacing for a flat course.  Certainly no expert having only done 2, neither a flat course, but Javelina is pretty gentile.  I did negative split Javelina and came in sub 24 so I consider my pacing to be pretty good for that race.  The pace was so mind numbing slow during the day it was very difficult mentally.  In fact, I suffered no physical lows, only mental lows.  But as I observed runners all salty and cramping in the heat and then puking later, I knew I had the right strategy.

I wouldn't say walk by schedule, but plan on a lot of walking.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I find shuffling or slow jogging tedious (10-14 mm).  With the exception of uphill, if I find myself running slower than 10 mm I will go to a fast walk.

Work on your walk to run and run to walk transitions.  Could be hundreds of them in a 100 mile race and will wear out those muscles.

Do a few "pick-ups" throughout the race.  A  short sprint isn't going to cause a bonk and will sure loosen things up.

Enjoy the race early and talk to runners and race volunteers.  Spend a little extra time at the aid stations.  I don't think you will be in danger of the cutoffs early on.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

bhearn

Hey, welcome to RA! And good luck. It's crazy how many of my friends are running that.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Hey, welcome to RA! And good luck. It's crazy how many of my friends are running that.

he's moving this morning at about mile 85 after just over 24 hours

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Hes with a pack at mile 99.  F1 is first overall by quite a bit.  Weather here is hard rain and flooding.  Did my first treadmill since last winter brutal.  Hope Skims weather just up north of me was better for his race.