Ultra Runners

Western States... (Read 72 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

finally.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Awesome. Congrats.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations.  Enjoy!

steph  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Persistence pays off perfesser. Congratulations. An added bit of trivia: 78 runners got in on only 1 ticket including Gunhild Swanson. Four runners holding 64 tickets got in finally.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Congrats, Russ! You are going to love it.

Also that fifth runner with 64 tickets did get in in the end. They draw three additional tickets for those physically present at the drawing. (Kicking myself now for not going.) This year, they asked the audience how they would feel about giving up one of those tickets to the last 7-year guy -- universal assent. So only two tickets for those present this year. Still, it would have been a pretty decent boost in odds, at least for someone like me with two tickets (7%) -- there were only 90ish present who were eligible and not already in.

bhearn

IMO the 7 years (and even the 6 years) should be automatics. But having eliminated the two-time loser rule in the past, the board doesn't want to put a similar, unsustainable rule in its place. The thought that always letting in the 7-years might become unsustainable is somewhat scary. Actually, next year there will be no 8 years, and at most two 7 years. But there will be a lot more 6 years than there were this year, so more 7 years for 2018.

bhearn

Hardrock lottery is under way...

http://hardrock100.com

... and RAer lace_up is in.

... and a neighbor of mine just got in to both WSER and Hardrock. Damn!

... and that's a wrap. Oh well, I didn't want to run next year anyway. I did really, really, really want to run WSER next year, though.

... oh wait. I'm 26th on the wait list. Last year I think 10 got in from the wait list.

... but. Apparently most didn't do their trailwork. Friend of mine started at #43 and moved up to #4. So... hmm.

hectortrojan

Hardrock lottery is under way...

http://hardrock100.com

... and RAer lace_up is in.

... and a neighbor of mine just got in to both WSER and Hardrock. Damn!

... and that's a wrap. Oh well, I didn't want to run next year anyway. I did really, really, really want to run WSER next year, though.

... oh wait. I'm 26th on the wait list. Last year I think 10 got in from the wait list.

... but. Apparently most didn't do their trailwork. Friend of mine started at #43 and moved up to #4. So... hmm.

Which one is harder to get in? WS or HR?

bhearn

If you've never run before, Hardrock is harder to get into. If you have, you have an advantage in the HR lottery.

Feeling fortunate that my name was drawn also.

5th year - 16 tickets.

Gonna do this one right........

bhearn

Congratulations! Kill it.

jjameson

From the midwest I see Maas, Horns, and Wehner.  All great grand master runners and all course record holders and winners of past midwest races.  Go get em guys!

DoppleBock

Way to go John!

Feeling fortunate that my name was drawn also.

5th year - 16 tickets.

Gonna do this one right........

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Nice

I have been the happy participant of many of Robert Wehner's races.

From the midwest I see Maas, Horns, and Wehner.  All great grand master runners and all course record holders and winners of past midwest races.  Go get em guys!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !