Ultra Runners

September 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 33 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

I think i like packing /planning race almost as much as running it.  Got my last minute items.  Flavorless tailwind, minipaydays, ensure.  I think to get tailwind into ultraflask i will put scoops in separate ziploc and then rip of a corner to dump it In.  I just cant do Heed which is what my next 2 races have

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

TMH, hope things went well at NF!

30.2 mile week with 3200' vert. knee gets sore off and on but doesnt seem to be any worse when i run versus just sitting with it immobile. sore, crampy calves this morning after running 12.8 yesterday with the added personal challenge of carrying a cv axle the final mile. hadn't run since wed which was just a short jog. i think days off arent that good for me! gotta keep moving. 6 days out forecast high of 58 low of 35. gonna pack some warm stuff.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

thanks FNKYHD, here is the race report:

The North Face Endurance Challenge 50 mile - Wisconsin

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

a friend told me to try kinesio tape. i am skeptical...tried it once but it wouldnt stick... nobody cares about ppl who are hairy! i dont see many ultrarunners with it on. does anyone here use it?

Seattlemax should be done by now. hope it went well!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

FunkyHd - I used KT tape on my AT, I found the cheaper stuff stuck better. Rock tape is supposed to be better. I see lots of Ultra runners wearing it. It might be a placebo, I found it helped though

26.2mi in 3 runs (that wasn't intentional) last week with 2631' of gain, and a 1.5 hour bike ride on the trainer. Did a fun group run on Saturday, feel like taper is coming along. Got the new course for Whistler, hopefully Grizzly free. Lots of climbing in the first 8 miles

https://cdn.raceroster.com/events/0384fd69-99bf-4c51-97d6-ba2eb417937a/images/5b9d90edd3726.png

Only 3 aid stations too, so good thing it's not going to be hot. Was thinking of using my bladder, not sure if I need to though, I'm usually good with 2 bottles for 3 hours, as long as it's not too warm. Lots of mandatory gear, so would be tight with a bladder. Maybe just an extra bottle?

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

drock69

TMH - I read your report on the weekend. Glad your race went well, love it when I plan comes together. I can't imagine the heat and humidity in some of those races

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

strambo

40 miles last week with a 20 mile trail run.  Both the weekly mileage and 20mi distance is my longest so far. Newbie building up...

Anyone running the Mountain Lakes 100 in OR this weekend?  I'll be there manning some aid stations.  My goal is to do the race next year.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Drock.  Turns out i was lucky on heat.  The am wasnt bad at all.  Back up to 90s yesterday and today. But not terribly humid.  I think though as a result of no workouts in August my overall speed is lower.  Fortunately for the 100 mile that doesnt matter to me.

Strambo.  Our resident Fnkyhd will be running.  Just follow the smell of bacon.

Fnkyd. Great excuse to shave your legs, though who needs one!

Kinesio tape.  I messed around with it one year, my issue was its expense.   Not sure if it worked but doubt it would hurt you otherwise.  You tube has videos how to apply it.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

40 miles last week with a 20 mile trail run.  Both the weekly mileage and 20mi distance is my longest so far. Newbie building up...

Anyone running the Mountain Lakes 100 in OR this weekend?  I'll be there manning some aid stations.  My goal is to do the race next year.

i'll be there...if my car works. no ill rent one if i have to. no crew or pacer, just me. tall older gentleman bib # 227. just going for a finish. the ultrasignup target seems to ignore this is my first 100M attempt. have you run mt hood 50? you guys do a nice race and thanks ahead of time for helping out! i am really in awe of all the people who come together to help out! what's the hot food at night? just broth or will there be more solid food too?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

Fnky, is there runner tracking?

strambo

what's the hot food at night? just broth or will there be more solid food too?

I don't know what will be there, it is a first time experience for me...

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

80 mile DNF at IMTUF.  That outcome seems obvious in hindsight but I was confident until mile 67 when I really needed an aid station miracle and didn't luck into it.  More later.

Fnky: In case I don't get back here before you leave, have a great race this weekend and good luck.  My 2 bits of last-minute advice:  1) In a 100 mile race, something almost always goes wrong - if/when that happens for you (and it can happen more than once during a race) just deal with it vs. letting it throw you.  Puking, blisters, wrong turns, falls, etc. - people have done all those things and still finished.  2) There's usually plenty of time in a 100 mile race to go through a very bad patch or two, recover, and still finish.  If you need to, take time to sit in an aid station and get yourself together.  This is an oversimplification, but I DNF'd at IMTUF because I didn't take that time when I needed to.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

80 mile DNF at IMTUF.  That outcome seems obvious in hindsight but I was confident until mile 67 when I really needed an aid station miracle and didn't luck into it.  More later.

Fnky: In case I don't get back here before you leave, have a great race this weekend and good luck.  My 2 bits of last-minute advice:  1) In a 100 mile race, something almost always goes wrong - if/when that happens for you (and it can happen more than once during a race) just deal with it vs. letting it throw you.  Puking, blisters, wrong turns, falls, etc. - people have done all those things and still finished.  2) There's usually plenty of time in a 100 mile race to go through a very bad patch or two, recover, and still finish.  If you need to, take time to sit in an aid station and get yourself together.  This is an oversimplification, but I DNF'd at IMTUF because I didn't take that time when I needed to.

thanks & sorry about the dnf. looking forward to hearing why. all of those things you mention have happened o me except puking. i am trying to prepare for anything while keeping my drop bag within the "21 liter" limit. that means only one option for shoe change, but i plan to change shoes at mile 55. i usually blow through aid stations pretty quickly but i will plan for 20 minute stops at the 3 drop locations. if i need more that's ok. im just going for a finish. i will start out super slow & not worry about lines. it's probably going to be wet during the day and cold at night. xtra dry clothing in my bag. change socks at each drop (towel & chafe lube) in drop. proper waterproof raincoat will be with me for the duration. planning my own nutrition plan with as many fats & complex foods i can manage. thinking i should stay away from gels early. have ensure, coffee & a red bull for mile 70 drop (ill carry the red bull until later if i make it that far. have 2 lights one handheld and a black diamond cosmo as backup. my mile 55 & mile 70 drop will have: dry clothes xtra jacket, warm winter tights, socks, underwear in case i shart somewhere, food bag with pb&salami sandwich, baby food, ensure, olives, cheese, maybe an avocado -but then i need a knife, first aid bag w/ lights, xtra batteries, band aids, more chafe lube, a little cordage & roll of 2" coban in case i get bloody, battery & charging cable for light & watch. on me will be pack, belt & 3 layers, hat, gloves & merino buff but probably just shorts for the daytime. the start will be cold. and food bars, handheld and soft flask, wet wipes & maps & aid details in a baggie, lots of sports legs electrolyte capsules and a few 50mg cbd caps in there too. the longest segment is mile 11 to 21 with the most climbing (2631' for that segment). i think that should still be fairly early in the day so hydration should be ok.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Fnky, is there runner tracking?

the sweeper may track me

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

the sweeper may track me

If so, channel your inner RWD.