Ultra Runners

September 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 33 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyhd.  Sounds like you have big drop bags like me.  Make sure everything is clearly labeled so at night when your brain is fried you are not rummaging around cluless in the dark.  I use a white 3x5 card and write in big sharpie letters “socks” or “headlamp” etc. i even make a little to do list like change socks, bring lamp, so i dont forget to do something.  But keep it simple.

Here is my pep talk from my limited experience:   Expect to be pretty fnkyn miserable at a few points, you wont be disappointed.  Remind yourself thats what you signed up for and, you are getting your moneys worth.  Ask for help if you need it, it may turn things around and save your race.  Think of some reasons your not going to quit ahead of time:  for me a couple are:  gi upset/vomiting or unable to eat or drink for awhile, pain from something you know isn't dangerous, missing time goals or going slower than you plan, not being able to run and having to sit for awhile (for me that may even be an hour, who cares?). Most of it is enjoyable.  For me 75-100 was without joy.  But the second i crossed the finish line, totally worth it.  Just some thoughts.

cant wait to hear about it.  Go get ‘er done!

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

thanks TMH! words of advice taken. interestingly i am also motivated by negatives but no one seems to doubt me this time. i remember at black canyon last year my Dad bless his soul, after seeing the weather forecast, was really worried about me and wanted me to drop so i definitely had something to prove there. also ive seen enough 'back from the dead' accounts to know it happens. i have to keep reminding myself that whatever is bugging me at the moment will eventually subside, esp the GI stuff. i havent puked but i do get nauseous but it always goes away after a while. no real time goal except to finish under 30 hours BUT - and it's a big BUT - i would like to reduce time on feet also. i guess i coiuld do that by resting more along the way and stopping to stretch etc but there is also sleep deprivation which is my biggest worry. i love my sleep. i am a big giant baby. i sleep 9 hrs plus every night if i can. maybe ill curl up on the trail somewhere for a while. hmmm maybe i should bring an alarm clock! do aid station workers do wake up calls?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

Good luck this weekend Funkyhd! Hope the sweepers aren't tracking you, had my experience with that this year. I love to sleep too but I'm good at staying up if I have to, have stayed up 30 hours for work and school. Maybe set an alarm on your phone? There was a post on FB by a guy that did Tor de geants, he said that sleeping 25-45 was his sweet spot, and he was good for another 8 hours after that. He said that food helps when you're tired as well, but that was second night which you shouldn't have to deal with

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

berylrunner

Rick

Other than minimal daily mileage, not much running.  Another hay harvest done and now field work.  Maybe I can ramp things up in October.

Foot is still sore (stone bruise or stress reaction), but no knee pain and PF is gone.

Fnkyhd.  Have a good race.  Excited for you.

Treadmill, RWD, Krash, Jay, congrats on your races.  Will get to those reports.

WC - have a good race.  I have new respect or additional respect for the timed events.

Seattlemax - tough race.  I like your list of races.  I will have to run them through you.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

thanks Drock, Beryl. saw the chiro and trainer yesterday & felt positive. last night and this morning a lot of mild, achy patellar knee pain. confidence just went off a cliff. wondering if a dnf is better than a dns

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Funky, popping in to wish you a good weekend at Mountain Lakes.  DNF > DNS, IMHO, but put those thoughts out of your head and go give it your best shot.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

RWD

thanks Drock, Beryl. saw the chiro and trainer yesterday & felt positive. last night and this morning a lot of mild, achy patellar knee pain. confidence just went off a cliff. wondering if a dnf is better than a dns

Stop this nonsense right now.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Just looked for tracking for Fnky.  Should have checked here first.  Weather's ok up here in Seattle, hope it's ok down there.  Loved Gatsby's shrek-guy.

Treadmill: You're the only other person who has mentioned putting a to-do list in drop bags.  I started doing that at Tahoe 200, when I figured I'd have 0 chance of remembering once my brain shorted out.  It's super-helpful.  I know people who take pictures too, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes - you can look at the actual drop bag more easily than looking at a photo.

Here's my IMTUF post-mortem.  It may read just as blah as my attitude going into that race.  https://pointlenana.wordpress.com/2018/09/22/imtuf-dnf-9-15-18/

As I was driving back from IMTUF, I received mail from the RD for a race called Euchre Bar Massacre - "Sorry to do this to you, but someone dropped so I moved you from the waitlist to the entrants list".  I am so toast, for so many reasons.

As I was driving back from IMTUF, I received mail from the RD for a race called Euchre Bar Massacre - "Sorry to do this to you, but someone dropped so I moved you from the waitlist to the entrants list".  I am so toast, for so many reasons.

Heh, oh my.  I've heard of that.  Euchre Bar Massacre: "Expect roughly 10,000' of climbing for the 25 mile and 20,000' for the 50, with a good amount of bushwhacking and route finding thrown in for good measure.... Distances are approximate, and may refer to nautical miles."

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Pain is my friend

Got in 47 easy miles this week.  My long run had 3,700 ft of  vert over 11 miles.  Great day in the Wasatch. Time to start training again this week.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

nOOky

Just read Seamax's IMTUF report. I did take heed and study the aid stations for my upcoming race more carefully, I normally don't plan drop bags and that kind of stuff out very carefully at all.

Only 21 miles for the week, although I did volunteer at a 24 hour race yesterday, watching the runners is always motivating.

Debating shoe choice for the Bear. Normally I wear normal cushion shoes for about the first half, and switch to more comfy shoes after that. Now I'm wondering why I don't just try to wear the cushy Altra Olympus for the entire race and just change socks. Duh lol.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

T Hound

Slower but happier

Heh, oh my.  I've heard of that.  Euchre Bar Massacre: "Expect roughly 10,000' of climbing for the 25 mile and 20,000' for the 50, with a good amount of bushwhacking and route finding thrown in for good measure.... Distances are approximate, and may refer to nautical miles."

I only got in off wait list once, I was excited.   I will stick with my upcoming 8000 ft in 100 miles thank you very much!

T Hound

Slower but happier

Just read Seamax's IMTUF report. I did take heed and study the aid stations for my upcoming race more carefully, I normally don't plan drop bags and that kind of stuff out very carefully at all.

Only 21 miles for the week, although I did volunteer at a 24 hour race yesterday, watching the runners is always motivating.

Debating shoe choice for the Bear. Normally I wear normal cushion shoes for about the first half, and switch to more comfy shoes after that. Now I'm wondering why I don't just try to wear the cushy Altra Olympus for the entire race and just change socks. Duh lol.

I’ve wondered the same thing. I just got some Timps in the mail, I like them cushioned but stay put on my feet.  I went down a half size from my first pair.    I’ve decided to go back to trail shoes after my little toe fiasco.  Do they still sell Olympus?  Haven’t seen any around lately.  My M.O. is switch to Bondi after the first 50.  They are crazy cushioned (yes I know not Trail shoes but baby steps here). Your feet just say thank you.

T Hound

Slower but happier

40 miles this week.  Temp finally dropped, so it’s great.  I’m pretty well bounced back from last weeks 50 mile. Just my toe (not bad) and ribs still hurt but less anyway.  I think by the 100 on 10/13 should be fine.

I was was leaving to go on a run today and literally walking to my car the Delivry guy brought me my new shoes, Altra Timp.  I did 13 mi, 9 harder, 4 easy on trail and I like them.

I dont have anything after October, so I may take my seasonal break early this year. I’m ready.  I think I have spring races picked but next fall is??  Also tossing around the idea of solo multi day in Wi, but not sure on that, I would have to get some ultralight gear.

Any my news on Fnkyhd?

nOOky

I’ve wondered the same thing. I just got some Timps in the mail, I like them cushioned but stay put on my feet.  I went down a half size from my first pair.    I’ve decided to go back to trail shoes after my little toe fiasco.  Do they still sell Olympus?  Haven’t seen any around lately.  My M.O. is switch to Bondi after the first 50.  They are crazy cushioned (yes I know not Trail shoes but baby steps here). Your feet just say thank you.

Yes!, I have enough runs in the new Olympus 3.0 to say that I like them a lot better than the 2.0 version. I might just try them the entire race and keep my other shoes in drop bags just in case.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024