Ultra Runners

November 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 35 times)

drock69

Only about 14 miles this week, got in a good trail run with the Buntzen Burners yesterday, 25 runners in the group. 8 mile run, with 2440' of climbing. Saw the first snow of the season, just a skiff in the trees around 2500' elevation. Cold morning with frost and ice. Found a new trail, it's a trials motorcycle trail, really nice trail, very soft, slippery in places.

I heard that some ultras in Malibu, Sean O'Brien was one of them might not be able to continue. Fires are terrible, lots of loss of life, hoping things calm down.

I have the JBL headphones, seem okay to me, I hardly use them though. I saw some of the jay bird ones on sale here for $90 Canadian, so should be some good black friday deals where you are

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

Pain is my friend

Easy week for me put in 39 miles.  Taper time is finally here.  Antelope Island 50 k this weekend.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

berylrunner

Rick

Rough week recovering from the race, dealing with a cold, and dealing with the cold.  Still managed 47 miles.  Playing around with Strava a bit.  My brother has set up some unique events and challenges for our area but the runs need to be shared by Strava.  Having some difficulty recording with my phone.  Now trying my watch that has been lost.  I have been using my older one to track mileage, but it won't sync.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Rough week recovering from the race, dealing with a cold, and dealing with the cold.  Still managed 47 miles.  Playing around with Strava a bit.  My brother has set up some unique events and challenges for our area but the runs need to be shared by Strava.  Having some difficulty recording with my phone.  Now trying my watch that has been lost.  I have been using my older one to track mileage, but it won't sync.

i was going to recommend an ambit 2 but just looked at the prices...i guess they are a hot item!

qotd or week or whatever: what's your favorite piece of running gear? mine is the naked running band. no backpck needed! and no more drinking from nasty water fountains! https://www.nakedsportsinnovations.com/shop-online/naked-running-band

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

i was going to recommend an ambit 2 but just looked at the prices...i guess they are a hot item!

qotd or week or whatever: what's your favorite piece of running gear? mine is the naked running band. no backpck needed! and no more drinking from nasty water fountains! https://www.nakedsportsinnovations.com/shop-online/naked-running-band

Re gear:  I got some Skora running pants at TJ max for $12, I like them.  The naked stuff looks interesting.  Haven’t seen that.  I am liking the C1s with what little running I’m doing.  I’m still hunting around for cheap but good running shorts, seems like they’re all crazy expensive these days.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Re gear:  I got some Skora running pants at TJ max for $12, I like them.  The naked stuff looks interesting.  Haven’t seen that.  I am liking the C1s with what little running I’m doing.  I’m still hunting around for cheap but good running shorts, seems like they’re all crazy expensive these days.

i just keep my eyes on clearance racks. it's weird how they all have built-in underpants. i cut those out. dont like having to wash them every time!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

SJ3.0 pack and Hoka Speedgoat shoes are my favourites. I think I need a larger pack for longer trail runs, and races where you need a lot of gear. The 2l bladder takes up the whole thing. Looking to get some poles too, Black Diamond Distance carbon z are what I'm thinking of getting. Would be for long mountainous races, would have to practice with them as well though. Any suggestions for good socks that last? I had some ice breaker merino wool ones, and blew through them in a 50 miler. Balega ones have been good, and seem to last. Long races where your feet get wet seem to destroy socks

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

SeattleMax and I will be at Crooked Road 24 this weekend. Live tracking is here. This is more a training run for me and a check to see what race I might run next when I put together my 2019 race schedule.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Races and other events are being canceled this weekend because of the smoke and poor air quality, after cancellations last weekend too.  My daily routine is now to check the AQI when I get up and see if it's okay to run.  Yesterday there was a "moderate" spell at 5 am so I went out for 6 miles.  Today it's "unhealthy" so no go.  

WC, SeattleMax -- I hope all goes well at Crooked Road 24!  (SMax did quite well there last year, if I recall correctly).

Drock, re socks, I got a pair of Darn Tough socks at a race this past spring and I like them a lot so far.  I usually poke my big toe through socks but not with these, at least so far (seems to be a design flaw with my big toe and yes, I do cut and file down my big toe nails).

QOTD: I'm pretty flexible about gear and don't have a lot of strong opinions, but I'd say sunglasses are pretty essential.  If I'm wearing contacts, I'll have my Tifosi shades on.  They're photochromatic so get lighter or darker depending on conditions, which is useful when fog is blowing around or I'm going in and out of shade.  Otherwise I'll wear my prescription Nike sunglasses, also photochromatic, but not as good as the Tifosi glasses.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC, SeattleMax -- I hope all goes well at Crooked Road 24!  (SMax did quite well there last year, if I recall correctly).

SeattleMax won it last year with 114 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

nOOky

drock I always wear Darn Tough, lately I have been wearing taller ones as no show socks like to fall down below the shoe and that's annoying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096E52MC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My mileage has been down lately after my 50k, started having a lot of pain in the ball of my foot right behind the big toe, and like a dummy I kept running through it. I'm going to tune up my fat bike and change the tires this weekend and try to use that a lot more. My weight has also been trending up after my 100 in September, partly because I am not training for anything and I'm just having fun relaxing and running when I want.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

Bleah, I'm sick again. Large swing in temperature = illness for me, for some reason. It's nice weather again (relatively speaking) so it's a little frustrating to not be able to run.

T Hound

Slower but happier

i just keep my eyes on clearance racks. it's weird how they all have built-in underpants. i cut those out. dont like having to wash them every time!

I thought about that. Makes sense. Someday when you die and they cleanout your house theyll find all those cutouts and wonder what the hell you were actually into?!?

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Cool - I finally get to meet wcrunner!  Hopefully we'll recognize each other.  The woman who won ARFTA (Amy Mower) will be there too.  Plus a woman named Ann Trason - I'm trying to place that name.  I'm sure it will come to me.

Gatsby - I hope things calm down there for you and everyone else.

Fnky - Get your foot healed up quickly.  Shouldn't be a problem to do two non-running days.

Hi to all.

T Hound

Slower but happier

SeattleMax and I will be at Crooked Road 24 this weekend. Live tracking is here. This is more a training run for me and a check to see what race I might run next when I put together my 2019 race schedule.

Good luck to you both.  I will check it out.

Drocks:  re sox, I use balega but now this fall added drymax. My feet did well in the hundo with drymax, really minimal issues. They are really sturdy/thick. One thing i have never done good at is replacing old wornout ones.