Ultra Runners

bhearn goes over 150 mark (Read 67 times)

AT-runner

Tim

I'm a glass half full guy, so congratulations to Bob Hearn for being the first american male over age 50 to break the 150 mile barrier at the Run 4 Water 24 hour race. Nicely done!

bhearn can fill in the rest of the details.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

...and missed making the US National 24 Hour Team by .03 miles!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DoppleBock

I know there is a Master's Championship with the World Championship.  I hope they allow Bob to come along and compete to bring the Master's World Championship to the USA.  Then as long as he is there he would be a great alternate in case someone is injured.

I am not sure if that is how it will roll or not ... but holy crap 152 does not make the team?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Women

1) Katalin Nagy (AUTO)
          2) Traci Falbo (AUTO)
          3) Jennifer Hoffman (AUTO)
          4) Courtney Dauwalter 155.39 Miles
          5) Pam Smith 143.6607 Miles
          6) Gina Slaby142.380 Miles
          and Alternates:
          1) Megan Alvarado 140.0 Miles
          2) Melanie Rabb 136.9499 Miles
          3) Laurie Dymond 135.503 Miles

Men

1) Olivier Leblond (AUTO)
          2) Pete Kostelnik 163.68 Miles
          3) Harvey Lewis 157.9081 Miles
          4) Jon Olsen 154.5840 Miles
          5) Steve Slaby 154.0755 Miles
          6) Rich Riopel 152.21 Miles
          and Alternates:
          1) Bob Hearn 152.155 Miles
          2) Joe Fejes 145.52 Miles
          3) Adrian Stanciu 144.87 Miles

AT-runner

Tim

I know there is a Master's Championship with the World Championship.  I hope they allow Bob to come along and compete to bring the Master's World Championship to the USA.  Then as long as he is there he would be a great alternate in case someone is injured.

I am not sure if that is how it will roll or not ... but holy crap 152 does not make the team?

I like your way of thinking. Also send Laurie Dymond along, as she's a female masters (51).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I believe that's the plan. I've also seen several places on FB, including a post by Bob, that his total was 152.18, not 152.155. It doesn't make any difference as far as making the team, but is a small difference for his AG records. He's the only US runner over 50 to exceed 150 miles in 24 hours.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

152.18 is what was engraved on my 3rd-place plaque. However, the RD has explained that that was a brain fart, and it's actually 152.1555, as reported in the results.

Yes, I'm probably going to Belfast anyway to compete for an age-group world title. I just won't be part of the US team, meaning that my result can't count there. Realistically, this would have been a long shot anyway. I'm a strong backup. But only the three distances of the six on the team count for the team score. If that includes me, it means a lot of people had a bad day. This is an historically strong team. Even Rich, the 6th-place guy on the qualifier list, ran 159 at Worlds in 2015. I had always hoped to shoot for 160+ at Worlds, but it's clear now that where my body is is too far from that. It will take a lot of focused work to hopefully improve my 152 by a few miles. I would love to hit 250K.

bhearn

Also it hadn't occurred to me at the time, but rather than beating my own AG record here, I set a different one -- road vs. track. So now I will have both of them. On the down side, though I improved my 200K record by over 13 minutes, there is no 200K road record maintained by USATF, only track. So, that won't count.

DoppleBock

Every race is different ... Your body has 3 months to recover and reset.  I know you can get out whatever your body has to offer at Worlds.  There are way too many factors that could make a 8 mile difference either direction ... so please do not write off the 160 miles as a potential outcome.

I had always hoped to shoot for 160+ at Worlds, but it's clear now that where my body is is too far from that. It will take a lot of focused work to hopefully improve my 152 by a few miles. I would love to hit 250K.

DoppleBock

I saw that ... and it is stupid they don't.

BTW - They maintain records that are not on the USATF website ... I know they maintain a different set of "Indoor" records.  I remember WG referencing wanting to beat a couple of them.

. On the down side, though I improved my 200K record by over 13 minutes, there is no 200K road record maintained by USATF, only track. So, that won't count.

bhearn

FWIW duv (the German site that has all the ultra results) says I just ran an age-graded 171.269 miles. Holy crap.

DoppleBock

I like that site, they have some interesting race information that I did not even know

Basically it is saying you are a really good old fart ?

It had my 6 hour and 12 hour split from the 24WC - I had no idea what they were.

Basically dead even pace from 6-12 hours then a 10k drop off between 12 and 24 ... even with the fast finish.

FWIW duv (the German site that has all the ultra results) says I just ran an age-graded 171.269 miles. Holy crap.

AT-runner

Tim

Basically it is saying you are a really good old fart ?

Yep, that's what it says. 

bhearn

Every race is different ... Your body has 3 months to recover and reset.  I know you can get out whatever your body has to offer at Worlds.  There are way too many factors that could make a 8 mile difference either direction ... so please do not write off the 160 miles as a potential outcome.

Well, certainly there's plenty of stuff that could make an 8-mile difference in the wrong direction. But I don't see what could go better in the other direction. Everything was pretty close to optimal here, and I found my limit. I've always believed 24-hour performance should ultimately be limited by cumulative muscle damage, if other things don't derail it first, which they usually do. But not this time. Over the last two hours my legs just gradually failed, I believe because I got too low on muscle fibers that were still able to fulfill their demands.

The only caveat here is that I don't know how much my muscles were impacted by the 24-hour five weeks earlier. So they should have some extra capacity at Worlds. But probably not 8 miles' worth, I wouldn't think. In the meantime I need to figure out what kind of training to do to improve their endurance in that regime. More strength work, hill repeats, or just faster running overall? I have rarely gone faster than 9:00 pace in training, because I had yet to hit my limit with that level of aerobic fitness. I'd already planned to up my paces training for Worlds.

bhearn

BTW - They maintain records that are not on the USATF website ... I know they maintain a different set of "Indoor" records.  I remember WG referencing wanting to beat a couple of them.

I'm not familiar with any US indoor records. IAU used to distinguish between road, track, and indoor, but they did away with that a couple years ago. Damn shame, because the track 24-hour record for M50-54 is Martin Fryer's 153.85, long a target of mine, now frozen. But the overall M50-54 record is Kouros' 165.66, which is otherworldly. Oh, and it was also a *split* in a 48-hour.