Ultra Runners

March 2018 Ultra Running Forum (Read 51 times)

GC100k

If it wasn't for the weight loss aspect to motivate me I'd probably just be sitting on my butt.

That's funny, because I'm the opposite. I have some family business over the next few weeks that may prevent me from running much. I thought that at least I could use that time to lose some weight. I can only really lose weight when I'm not running because I'm less hungry and better able to control my appetite. I've never been able to lose weight while running a lot.

T Hound

Slower but happier

The only time i lost some weight was when i got above 70 mpw.  Which i have regianed promptly. Beer and ice cream just find a way to get into my stomach. One is the setup for the other no doubt.

RWD. In boring times i do podcasts. Books on tape.  Netflix.  Sometimes i just get really negative about running and thats a sign im overtrainning or stress.  A few days off can help.  Moving is stressful for sure. But going down south like ur, maybe warmer weather will help.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Nice week Fnkyhd.  Any chaffing from the belt?  I guess build up the calluses for the race.

Nice training Treadmill.  Time to change the name back.

Impressive week Paul with the block of miles at the end and the vert.  Dave training for a 100 also?

Krash - miles plus that speed?  Wow.  Running with Suwinski?  I saw him years ago finish Lake to Lake relay solo and then again at the Timp trail Marathon (I was only to the half level at that time).  I said to myself I want to be like that guy.

RWD - I go through those rough patches.  A nice speedy run helps.  The 10 miles race sounds perfect.  Have a good move.  I am trying to drop a few pounds also.  Just stubbornly staying on.

WC - How did your race go?  Anyone run in Leiderhosen?

GPS/HR question?  I don't use a HR, but got a refurbished Garmin on EBay that works great.  Cheap and the battery still holds like a new one after 2 years.

What else?  I am dropping Mogollian Monster off of my schedule.  No time, no money.  Now I can put all of the focus on the Zion race.  Maybe up my goal time a bit.  Anybody have any training/taper suggestions?  I have 5 weeks to kill.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC - How did your race go?  Anyone run in Leiderhosen?

I spent the weekend without internet so I never saw the email that said the course was in good condition. Conditions at home were bad enough that I couldn't face 5 hours plus in them so I took a DNS. Once I got internet and cable back I discovered my PC was kaput. Then spent all day Sunday and Monday shopping for a new PC, transferring data, and reinstalling software.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

The only time i lost some weight was when i got above 70 mpw.  Which i have regianed promptly. Beer and ice cream just find a way to get into my stomach. One is the setup for the other no doubt.

RWD. In boring times i do podcasts. Books on tape.  Netflix.  Sometimes i just get really negative about running and thats a sign im overtrainning or stress.  A few days off can help.  Moving is stressful for sure. But going down south like ur, maybe warmer weather will help.

I'm definitely all about Netflix on the treadmill! And I mix it up with varying speeds and elevations. Sometimes I watch sports.

I'm an afternoon/evening runner, so I can't take too many days where I get home from work and say "screw it, I don't want to run," since I generally choose breakfast/lunch with the plan I'll be running later. I'm doing ok with actual weight loss while in the 40-50 mpw range (I've lost like... 5-6 lbs since November, it's hard to tell since my weight fluctuates a lot) but I do have to be diligent.

I just took a couple weeks with lower mileage/extra days off. I'm just in my "it's been cold for almost 6 months straight and I am tired of it" funk I get into every year. My move is less stressful than most because my company is paying for movers and they are doing the packing. This move will help with my faux-SAD because 1. my new place is bigger than the old one so I won't feel so much like the walls are closing in and 2. the springs in the twin cities are much more forgiving than in the northland.

paul2432

Beryl - Yes, my friend Dave is training for SD100.  He ran SOB with me, and will also do LD50.  Unfortunately, he's travelling with family during Western States, so won't be able to come as my pacer (and may not have anyway given the closeness to SD100).  Fortunately, I have another running friend (Ben A) who will be my pacer.  He's doing SD100 as well, but he's much faster than Dave or me, so should work out well for him to pace me at WS.  Ben and I are also doing AC100.  Should be a good summer.

T Hound

Slower but happier

My schedule opened up, I’m registered for Kettle Morraine 100k in June, in WI!

Hello hello.  Guess I'd better be a little less MIA since I just got off the wait list for Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler in July.  Woohoo!

Have been running here and there, doing some shorter trail races for hill training.  Did a 25k race in the Marin Headlands (CA) yesterday, 3500' gain, one wipe-out.     Another 25k later this month in San Jose, CA.  Next serious race is the Napa 50k on April 7, 7500' gain.

Have popped in here from time to time but I haven't had much to post about... (hopefully) that will change now that my race calendar has some ultra stuff on it.

Treadmill Hound, nice that the 100k fits on your schedule for June.  Hoping means you will lose the "treadmill" and become Trail Hound again soon.

RWD (and others who have been treadmill-bound this winter), hopefully spring and warmer temps come soon.   Can't imagine keeping motivated to do much of anything with several months of crappy weather.  And hoping the move goes smoothly and brings back some good running juju.

That's it for now.  Taking a rest day today since I banged up my knee, among other things, when I took a tumble yesterday.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

berylrunner

Rick

Cutback/recovery week of 34 miles.  No gain, no long runs, 2 fast miles, but most of the miles were on uneven ground.  Got lots of work done and I feel more beat up than the previous week.  I'll call it cross training.

Treadmill Hound - nice on the 100k, such a great race distance, I wish more would pop up.

Gatsby - glad you made it into Tahoe, I look forward to you posting again.

WC - sorry about the race.  Smart call on not driving in that weather.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Pain is my friend

Last hard week before the taper.  Body told me I needed to take it easier.  Ended up running 71 miles in 4 days.

Monday: 7.2 miles easy

Tuesday: 10.1 at 7:04 pace and afternoon 10.5 at 7:16 pace.

Wed:  rest day.  Body said no way.

Thurs: 10.1 with 2x2 mile hill repeats

Friday: Body said no way again. rest

Saturday: 30 miles trail at ultra race pace.  Felt like I could run 70 more miles.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

T Hound

Slower but happier

Krash - you have had some nice training, sounds like hay is in the barn

Gatsby  - sounds like your race schedule is falling into place, Tahoe looks like a lot of fun, congrats on getting in

Berly - I am seeing a few more 100k pop up, but one that I did last year is only 50K this year Sad.  For me its good training because I am out there so long, I get into the night and stomach issues, more misery, and lots of stuff that hasn't come up in a 50 mile race for me around here.

WC  glad you are back on the grid

I may keep treadmill hound, I kinda like it, the irony is really the only decent elevation training I can get here on a regular basis, is on a treadmill.  I am down to a couple weeknights a week doing some with incline and weekend trail/long runs and workouts on the road.  I don't mind, its soft/easy on the joints and I can watch netfilx/xfinity.  But for long runs, it blows.  Its also really hot. (try to find a fan at a store in the winter).  I would just go with "the hound" but that's taken by the big guy with the burn on his face and a broadsword, and you do not want to upset him.

My week:  49.5 mi

mon  4 mi easy Treadmill

Tues rest

Wed 8 mi   aerobic Treadmill

Thu  10 mi VO2 max workout 5 x 1K @ 6:50-7:00

Fri    4 mi Treadmill 800 m intervals @15% easyish

Sat   8 mile trail on the 25 K course

Sun  25K course, run, 2:18, worked on race pacing, hills

Last week I did the 25K course in 2:24 and this week 2:18.  BY the end I was pretty much done (and there is a big grassy hill at the end, I am not a grass fan (for running), too much give and lumpy.  The main difference is I walked more hills from the start and really paced them better then pushed more on the flats.  I set my watch to show heart rate, incline and pace on one screen and really tried to walk if those got higher threshold effort or HR.  There is a bunch of mud which sucks (literally).  I am not sure I can get much more out of this course.  I will take an extra rest day the week of the race and couple workouts before then.  Hope for less mud and let race day do its magic.

please enjoy my 2 headed hound picture! (look at it in your peripheral vision field)

Pain is my friend

Treadmill Hound - great job on the 25k improvement.  It is great to see week to week improvement.  I can't do speed work on a treadmill.  I can run a 7 min mile outside and it feels easy. But put me on a treadmill and it feel way faster.

Berly - I really enjoy a cutback week.  It does great for the body and brain.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Beryl, not much chafing yet but have been using lots of blue steel. i bought a second one so i could wash the first one, only take it off at night. i did have one time the belt didnt hold it in while running, but there is a pouch in the front where i took the pad it came with out and replaced it with a sock. if the hernia comes out on race day i'll carry and extra sock or something to add in there. i dont want to scare anyone standing beside the trail trying to push my guts back in

RWD, hang in there! i bet when you get to TC you'll see so many ppl out running you will want to join them!

TMH, i thought you live in Denver? not enough hills?

Gatsby, i am the king of awkward wipe outs! did you get back up like a cat and look around to see if anyone saw?

had another really good week last week. 66.7 M, 7595' vert. sunday i met & ran with Uli Steidl for a few miles. i made a concerted effort not to bug him but he was very talkative and friendly! i think that improved my confidence. tapering now getting ready for chuckanut. i dont think i will go all out but feel good so i will aim for sub-6. news there is that the regular course is a go (there was concern about a plane crash there that had closed a road up). might still be some snow up top. i was considering getting some microspikes but my friend says the trail is not right on the edge so there are trees to grab onto

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Treadmill Hound - great job on the 25k improvement.  It is great to see week to week improvement.  I can't do speed work on a treadmill.  I can run a 7 min mile outside and it feels easy. But put me on a treadmill and it feel way faster.

Berly - I really enjoy a cutback week.  It does great for the body and brain.

I cant do workouts on TM either, i dont feel like i really know the pace,(even with foot pod there is a lot of variability).  its much hotter, too and squishier.   Mostly now  doing easy runs or incline intervals on TM.  Strides also dont really work well either w mine.

fnkyhd.  Not in Denver, would like to be, but im in Chicago area embracing the flat.

Omr.  Sorry to hear that.  I often thought it would be nice if WS had a medical exception. Even as a one time thing.  Im sure some people would abuse it.  And all sorts of exceptions and deferments would be requested. Maybe just take some tickets out but not start all over.  Starting all over just seems unnecessary.  Anyway, I hope you heal up good and get back at it when u r ready.

OMR

I've been lurking, but not posting, as I haven't been running much.  My knee issue has been lingering, so I ultimately scheduled an appointment.  Had an Xray and MRI in the past week, and found out today that I have a radial tear in my meniscus, and will have to have surgery.  So...no running for me for a while, and any ultras are probably out of the question for me this year.  Guess I'll have to start over with the Western States Qualifying lottery!