Ultra Runners

March 2018 Ultra Running Forum (Read 51 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

oh i see it now! i just kept going directly to "my topics" so i didnt see the main forum. nice report, thanks! glad you had a good day and no pneumothorax. FYI part of the reason i use a handheld is because it makes a great shock-absorber when i fall and saves at least one of my hands. ive got to the point where the hand the bottle is in will automatically go out first to stop my fall

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

My RRs tend to be pretty measly, so here you go:

I did the Salomon San Francisco HM, which is now my new favorite HM in SF.  It was a spectacular day for running in the city -- sunny, clear, chilly at the start, and warmed up to the mid 50s. This race is about as close as you'll get to a trail race within SF, with a mix of trails, roads, stairs, and beach. It's an out and back from the Presidio lagoon, up and under the Golden Gate Bridge, down to Baker Beach, through Sea Cliff, and out to the turnaround at Sutro Baths at Land's End.  The Land's End trail has some spectacular views (see pic below).   Finished in 2:14. The goal was to work on hills (about 1100' elevation gain), and I felt good with my hill efforts, with minimal walking aside from some gnarly stairs.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

THM's RR

Now why didnt i think of that!  Thanks WC

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Gatsby, looks like a beautiful day to run a HM.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fkyhd.  I used to do that with hand helds..  Infact my old vest could hold handhends as bottles in the front so i could do both.   My current vest is soft flasks which do make for a great airbag in crashes.  I did fall once with handhelds and one broke open so I was left w/o water for awhile, but its better than a broken wrist for sure.

drock69

Last big week for me, 61.5mi, and a few short walks thrown in there. Ran with a group yesterday, just over 24 miles on the Diez Vistas 100k course, did the DV trail, one of the most difficult trails I've ever 'run' on, really steep in sections, feels like you're trying to hike down a cliff. Was snowing, not much on the ground,  huge flakes lower down, but real snow up higher. Was a little slow going, not the easiest trail to follow in sections. Ran with a group the Buntzen Burners (they run around Buntzen Lake). Was a group of about 6 of us slower runners to start, but only 2 of us did the DV trail. Saw the other faster runners, they were doing 70km, too much for me, I did a 50k 2 weeks ago, and my plan called for 40k. I was really dragging on some of the climbs, they're up to 40% in some sections, I was a bit faster on the downhill than my partner (I'm still slow). Was supposed to work on nutrition this run, but neglected it, and think I was close to bonking. I guess going slow I can keep going, I won't make the cut offs going that slow though. First week of taper this coming week, still a 20 mile long run, so thinking of hitting DV and some of the other trails in the race, and concentrating on nutrition this time. I only took in 400 Cal in 7 hours, need to get that a lot higher, we'll see if my stomach will tolerate it

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
              Mon 1.3 14:17 Lunch Walk 53 strava
              Tue 8.8 10:04 14.21 - QEP - Easy Run 564 strava
              Tue 1.2 14:56 Lunch Walk 54 strava
              Wed 9.3 9:03 15km - Mountainview - 7x5min. with 1 min. rests 429 strava
              Wed 1.3 13:18 Lunch Walk 65 strava
              Fri 8.7 10:12 14k - QEP - Easy Run 596 strava
              Sat 24.2 15:38 39km - Belcarra and Diez Vistas, return around Buntzen Lake - Long technical trail run 5415 strava
              Sun 10.1 9:28 16.2km - 2x QEP - Easy recovery run 738 strava
                64.9 12:11   7914  

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

paul2432

Nice reports guys.  Nice long run Drock.

I had my biggest week this year:

Monday-4.5 miles TM easy

Tuesday-8 miles TM with some temp

Wednesday-5.5 mikes TM easy

Thursday-11 miles AM, 5 miles PM easy

Friday-6 miles with 40 minutes at 15% incline TM

Saturday-30 miles trails, 6500 ft gain

Sunday-8 miles easy roads

78 miles total

drock69

Gatsby Bird - looks like some beautiful views, interesting city race course, and beautiful pic!

FunkyHD - good to see you here! I don't think a waterbottle would have helped me if I fell on the trail I was on yesterday, I can see how if could help some falls though

treadmill hound - about to read your RR

Paul - that's a stellar week! I've never hit that kind of mileage, great long run!

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

drock69

Too bad about Barkley's this year! Feel bad for Gary Robbins, don't really know him but have met him briefly a few times at his races. Sounds like weather was a huge factor this year. Has to hurt missing cutoff by 13 minutes, the next lap would have been difficult in 12 hours, with the darkness factor though

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

berylrunner

Rick

43 miles for the week.  No long run but a nice variety of miles.  Road, trail, dirt, fields.  Some harder miles with intervals and hills.  Thick shoes, thin shoes, and some barefoot miles.

Another big week is just not going to happen with work so my plan is just maintenance.

Nice race reports and training weeks being reported.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

dhuffman63

Trails

Going to have to report a DNF for my Prairie Spirit 50k.  The 21 mph head wind after the turnaround with 29 mph gusts were too much for my back so I dropped at 24 miles.  An expensive training run but I learned something and even with a bad back I was able to volunteer for 4 hours at the AS for the 100 milers.  They were so awesome to see coming in at 61 miles.

drock69

dhuffman63 - sorry to hear about the dnf, I find back shoulder pain can hamper my progress more than tired legs sometimes, I try not to take nsaids, but will take a tylenol if it gets too bad. Finishing into the wind sounds brutal

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Going to have to report a DNF for my Prairie Spirit 50k.  The 21 mph head wind after the turnaround with 29 mph gusts were too much for my back so I dropped at 24 miles.  An expensive training run but I learned something and even with a bad back I was able to volunteer for 4 hours at the AS for the 100 milers.  They were so awesome to see coming in at 61 miles.

I ran a marathon in those types of conditions. I saw a normally sub-3:00 marathoner (2:52 at Boston) run a 45 minute positive split.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

my weeks training: 46 mi

workout was 10 mi run 5x1K@VO2max pace (6:50-7) which went well.

race which I posted RR already was 25K trail

the rest was mix of easy running on road/trail/TM

Sun cut short, I was reduced to walking due to ITB so today is rest day

Barkley's:  Ten Junk Miles podcast has an interview with John Fegyveresi which is great for a long run listening with some about his training and a lot of other interesting non Barkley stuff he's done.  The actual Barkley was, of course tough to follow, it looked pretty foggy at first.  Bummed about Gary.

Dhuff, the wind here was pretty brutal, sorry about the back,

Drock, looks like your pace is good to finish in 18 hrs if that was the tough part right?  I guess if the weather

cooperates.  I cant imaging 40% incline, that's like rock climbing/scrambling.  If your looking for calories, I like ensure, it is pretty easy going down and lots of calories in a small volume.

Krash will be checking out your RR shortly

Ugh, I have to start strength training for the ITB.  That's how it works right?  You get injured and then you

finally start strength training?

drock69

Treadmill Hound - sorry to hear about the ITB! I usually reduce mileage, and run easy until it get aggravated (stay close to home, could be a long walk otherwise). I haven't had it in a while, usually get it from high mileage and speed work. Doing a hip strength routine and squats/lunges could help long term once it's healed.

I'm thinking 18 hours is going to be tough, I did the toughest part of the course, but you have to do it in the opposite direction as well. Definitely ran slow at the start, and getting lost looking for the trail took quite a bit of time. I forgot about ensure, will maybe put some in a drop bag. Might be something to test this weekend as well

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19