Ultra Runners

March 2018 Ultra Running Forum (Read 51 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

DHuffman, sorry to hear about the dnf but sounds like you made the most of your day! i appreciate all the volunteers out there making it possible for me to test my limits!

TMH, itb...is that giving you knee pain? go get some ART & graston! salt baths! rest! how about running on the ground?

just saw Coury's new film from Barkeley = very nice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpEE-82bWc

lets see if i can get things going a bit. how about a discussion? here's a topic: cross training! personally i am ambivalent when it comes to training for ultra trail races...particularly upper body stuff and weights. honestly after doing it for a year and then not doing it for 18 months and then having less than that with a hernia i really cant say it helped my running at all. maybe shorter stuff but not ultras. my legs seem to have more endurance without it

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

dhuffman63

Trails

Topic that is quite relevant to me right now.  I'm wondering if my back issues are due to a weak core therefore I intend to incorporate some core/back strengthening, probably some shoulder/arms too in order to help with carrying my hydration pack.  I'm small, 4'9" and 93lbs and those things can get heavy...lol.

I did get a rower for christmas that I need to actually start using.  That's my first new project.

drock69

thanks for the video FunkyHd! Interesting to see behind the scenes, doesn't look like a race I'd ever be interested in!

I don't do a lot of cross training, after races and on some rest days I bike, sometimes outdoor, or on the trainer. I was swimming for a while, but haven't done that in a while. Strength I mostly just do body weight or with light weights or bands. Try to do a core workout at least a couple times per week. I'm thinking swimming would be good after races, I'm just such a terrible swimmer, and hate the public pool

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

I have a love-hate relationship with strength training.  I used to do a lot of it.  I have all sorts of routines, notecards, books, etc.  Mostly body weight type stuff.  Then for some reason I stopped it all. Now I do not.  I think I will be starting soon though with the ITB, I feel like I should do something.  I don't do cross training per se, but if I get injured I will tend to walk or incline walk or sometimes biking.  I am sure I would do more if injury necessitated it.  I am just not as motivated as I used to be for that.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Cross training - not right now.  Whole focus has been on running/hiking for my last event and next one.  After that I will probably add some biking.  I have an elliptical in the garage that is seldom used.  It is a cheap model that requires batteries to run the display and control the programs.  NOT GOOD.  Need a plug in model if I every buy another.  Cross country skiing - not a good snow year and when I get to the ski resort I have been running the slopes or downhill skiing, but maybe I will do some in the next couple of weeks during taper.

Strength training - no.  Most of you know I am a farmer so I get plenty of physical labor.  My wife says I stand crooked so maybe I need to work on my weak side.

A couple of notes:  If you use handheld water bottles some arm work might be beneficial.  Also trekking poles.  After my RUFA event, my triceps were my most sore muscles.  Shoulder work if you are going to use a pack.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

T Hound

Slower but happier

Hey all, hope your having nice easter weekend.

My week, lots of rest due to busy + ITB, no workouts

mon rest

tues 5.5 walk incline treadmill

wed 7.0

thu rest

fri 10 mi.  Easy  Itb good

sat rest

sun 17 LR  ITB back 😖

Everytime.  I seem to get itb every year around this time.  Probally  intensity (and racing).  because my milage pretty lo/flat 40-50s.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block