Ultra Runners

WS 2011 (Read 807 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What a mediocre website they have...why can't I find the results???  Anybody got a link?

Kalsarikännit

What a mediocre website they have...why can't I find the results???  Anybody got a link?

Really?  I thought you ruled the Trenternet?  Go to ultralive.net.

I just read something unbelievable.  In 1996 Ann Trason won Comrades.  Twelve days later she won Western States.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks, but ultralive.net does not help me find out how my buddy did...

From Roes' blog:

"Ellie's performance is still too unbelievable for me to put into words, but I'll try anyway. Ellie was 15 minutes behind with only 10 miles to go in the race! And she ended up winning by over 20 minutes! This after she was more than 30 minutes behind the women's leader when she left Michigan Bluff at mile 56. When the dust had settled she was across the finish line with the second fastest women's time in the history of the race. I couldn't help but think about how similar her race was to my race last year, but in reality what she did yesterday made what I did last year seem like no big deal in comparison. The amount of time that she made up on the leaders in the second half of the race was more than double what I did last year. Good stuff. "

Incredible!

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Agreed. That's awesome. Most elites would have dropped I bet.

I didn't see any finishes. Are they recorded anywhere?

I do wonder about someone like Koerner dropping 2 years in a row.  Last year was injured and I know these guys go for broke in order to win.  But something to be said about finishing even if you are beat.  Will never be able to do what he does so perhaps not my place to speak..but I will.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

In a big time race like this I think you finish if you can.  Is he doing UTMB? 

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

In a big time race like this I think you finish if you can.  Is he doing UTMB? 

Yes

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)

You'll ruin your knees!

Was WS this past weekend?ConfusedRoll eyesDead

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I do wonder about someone like Koerner dropping 2 years in a row.  Last year was injured and I know these guys go for broke in order to win.  But something to be said about finishing even if you are beat.  Will never be able to do what he does so perhaps not my place to speak..but I will.

I have a really hard time knocking any of these guys for DNF'ing.  I remember reading about and seeing pictures of Krupica after he dropped at Leadville and he looked like he was in serious trouble.  The safety risks and potential for long term injury are so much higher in these types of races I don't think it's fair to bash them for dropping.  That being said It is certainly inspiring to see the elites lay it on the line and finish even when it's not their day.

Of course I haven't finished a race since January....

DoppleBock

To be fair - I will finish any distance race if I can -

But timed races - For me "Finishing" would mean to give 100% effort to the race and stay out 100% of the time.  I did not do this at NorthCoast 2009.  I never planned on being competetive - I was only on the course 18 or so hours.  It takes me a very long time to recover and I did not want to spend 3 months slogging around for no reason.

In marathons and 50 milers - The struggle to do my best on bad days has tought me a lot.

I am not sure what to think about Leadville - I am trying to half ass the race - Do just enough to finish and enjoy the day, but still be able to perform at NorthCoast 24 ... seems a recipe for bad mental ju-ju.  I am 100% confident I can not do well at both.

Posting this reminds me of how stupid I am ... Even more stupid is if I do not do well at NorthCoast I will have the same issue with Monkey and a December 24 hour race.

Reading GR's blog - He was basically powerwalking a lot to get to where he dropped - I do not disagree with his decision ... but I am also not heart broken to see the man struggle for once in a 100 - I think it does us all good to fail ... it will make him a better runner and person.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

erockalot

I had the pleasure of running this year. What an awesome day!
                          The snow wasn't too bad but I'm from Minnesota so I trained in it. The temperature was very bearable, unlike the Kettle Moraine, where the humidity just suffocates you. 
                          Anyway, I am so pleased with the outcome, I don't feel the need to try to top it by entering the lottery next year.
                          I ran as a tribute to my dad who passed away last year. He finished WS100 in 2002. His running group works the aid station at Last Chance every year. They had a memorial for him there this year and it was super cool when I went through there.

Kalsarikännit

Thanks for sharing. That is pretty darn cool on so many levels. There aren't a lot of people that can say that they did a 100 as well as their parent (much less WSER).

I thought I had snow running down, but I couldn't come close to doing the job of glissading that some of the people were doing. It ended up being very necessary to get down those little hills. I was floored how some people could just sit back on their heels and shoot down the hills. This was my first bad spot. I just kept falling and falling and falling.

Last Chance. Oh, those evil volunteers! As I left, they said it was only three and a half to the next aid station. No problem! Little did I know what was in store for me. That climb up Devil's Thumb is unreal.

Congrats on a job well done! (And of course a million "thank you's" for not going into next year's lottery Wink)

(And of course a million "thank you's" for not going into next year's lottery Wink)

Ditto. Smile

That sounds like a very special experience erock. Very cool and well done!

~Sara
                              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan