Ultra Runners

June 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 35 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Funky, good news that you are recovered and ready for some climbing action. Have you talked to SeattleMax about White River?  He had good info when I asked him about it last year.

i remember his musings from last years race. i bumped into him the other day but just asked about where to camp. he is training for Ouray 100 which has 42k feet of climbing! there is one thing i remember he mentioned from last year. now i know he got a great time in that race like 9 hours and something (which for me would be best day ever considering there is 9500' of climbing) but he said he was talking about deliberately climbing at marathon effort and then relaxing on the downhill portions...to the extent possible. i dont know if thats what he did but the more i think about this the more it makes sense in terms of effort. the profile is just two big climbs so HM up at M effort HM down easy HM up at M and HM down ez. i just think that the difference in effort versus pace is less when going slower. so if i am climbing at 14:00 pace and want to crank it up to 12:00 it would be less additional effort than descending at 9:00 and cranking that up to 7:00.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

RWD - Thanks for the link to the article.  I'm sure I'll be in a race where I'll need to bring a blister kit, so great resource.

drock - Looking forward to hear how the 50K went.

Krash - I'm with Gatsby, that's a huge amount of vert in a short distance!  Do you try to do it all at the same effort, or do you break up the effort?

fnky - Glad to hear you have the green light now.  Hope your training goes well for White River.  Cool that you have a greenhouse!

TH - Hope you're recovering well.

QOTW - I really don't modify my diet much.  If I'm running more, I might add a couple hundred calories in the morning with some cheese or nuts, but that's about it.  I do need to be cognizant to eat enough veggies, because I'll order a big plate of french fries in a heartbeat if I'm hungry.

I completed my first 100 mile week.  I almost completed it by 4 x 25, but had to double up the last 25 (19 in AM, 6 in PM) on Sunday.  Friday evening it was 80 when I started and it was after 6 PM.  The heat really sucked a lot out of me  I didn't get home until around 11:30 PM, since I took a lot of breaks and stopped at a bar for a beer.  The beer was a great refresher, but it also made it really tough to get going again with 7.5 miles left.  I had about 4 hours of push mowing on Saturday, so by Sunday morning, my legs were noodles and I just didn't have it in me to do 25 in a single push.  Still a successful week for not training for anything specific.  Running time was 18 hours with about 3,600 vert. and 1/2 the runs were on trail.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

drock69

50k was lots of fun, finished in 8:58, thought I'd be a little faster than that, but with the low mileage I've been doing, and 7000' of vert and some technical trails it wasn't easy. My knee was mostly okay, I could feel it on the steeper climbs if I tried to push it. My other knee was clicking, but didn't hurt. Glad to finish without any injuries, and didn't have any issues with my stomach. No blisters, felt a  few hot spots, but they didn't develop into blisters. Lost the trail a couple times, so added an extra km or so. I'm still working on my race report, hopefully finish it tonight

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

Have you thought about this one? It must be fairly close to you.

Christmas in July

Yeah.  Timing is good.  Night start is interesting.   Its  close by in a Chicago Suburb.  I did tell my DW i am taking off Jul from racing and she has held me to it already

Speaking of timed events August 2019 Milwaukee is the 6 days in the Dome . Although 6 day is sold out.  There are 2x 24hr events w openings still. 48 hr is unfortunately filled.  6 days in the Dome Redux is in Ultrasignup. 

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyd.   White river looks nice.  For some reason i got the Bigfoot 100k out there on my radar and someday want to do it.  Looks challenging but doable.  24 hr cutoff.  Good elevation and some long stretches between AS.

I agree speeding up downhills is also risky with more eccentric wear and tear/injury risk.  The cardio effort is less but the soft tissue costs are higher.  My hiking is so painfully slow i stand to gain a lot if i could get myself in better hiking shape.

Berto.  Recovery is good but not ready to jump back to 50 mpw.  Im going to approach jun-jul With less structure.

Congrats on the Hundoweek.  I would have counted the push mowing.  4hrs  Thats a lot!  Strength training too.

Drock.  Nice job on 50k.  Will watch out for RR.

krash.  Ive got no sense of that elevation.  I have to really work hard to get 2000 ft in a week in Illinois and its pretty monotonous.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Speaking of timed events August 2019 Milwaukee is the 6 days in the Dome . Although 6 day is sold out.  There are 2x 24hr events w openings still. 48 hr is unfortunately filled.  6 days in the Dome Redux is in Ultrasignup. 

I've had my eye on that since it was first announced, not as a runner, though I may run the 24-hour if there are any openings once I decide. I think it would be am experience just to watch and maybe crew or volunteer. I know a lot of the people who are registered.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

drock69

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Fnkyd.   White river looks nice.  For some reason i got the Bigfoot 100k out there on my radar and someday want to do it.  Looks challenging but doable.  24 hr cutoff.  Good elevation and some long stretches between AS.

i was thinking about offering to pace for one of the 200M runners but schedule doesnt permit. i hear the course is very technical. the only bad thing ive heard about WR is wasps which could end my race & wondering if i might need an epi pen

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

Almost done with my self-imposed 2 week break from running! I got my bathroom painted so that's good, and I actually miss running, so the mental break appears worth it.

Volunteering tonight at one of the Endless Summer Trail Runs here in the Twin Cities - it should be fun to get back with my people!

Pain is my friend

It all depends on the the hill.  Some of them were runable.  Others there we no way I could run them.  I try to keep an even pace all the way to the top.

Krash - I'm with Gatsby, that's a huge amount of vert in a short distance!  Do you try to do it all at the same effort, or do you break up the effort?

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Pain is my friend

I finish the week with 33 miles. Ran a 10k today in 38:31. Got beat by 3 teenagers to finish 4th

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Krash nice 10k!

60 miles this week with 6500' vert. was bounding on some bleachers and got a mild knee sprain plus downhills are still an issue so i am focusing my effort climbing and just taking it easy going down. would like to continue to ramp up the vert each week. ran quite hungover this morning in the heat 

hope everyone's running is going well!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

My week: 54 miles, about 2500' climbing.  Stayed close to home this week.

Have a lot to do for the WS aid station next weekend (and won't be running much this upcoming week!).  I know Paul2432 is running WS this year.  Anyone else running/pacing/crewing/volunteering?

Heading out shortly to visit my Dad.  Happy father's day to all the dads here!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

Krash.  Wow Great 10k time.

Gatsby and Paul.  Hope you have great time at WS.  Look forward to hearing anout it.

Drock enjoyed the RR as always

Fkyhd.  I had a slow start a little hungover today too.  I was making slushie cocktails.  Here is my fav from that escapade:

frozen peaches 3c

ice cubes 2c

simple syrup 3 oz

lemon juice 2 oz

buffalo trace boubon 6 oz.

2 tbsp grated ginger (i just used the spice)

blend all that up

garnish with sage sprigs (i just dusted w a little sage powder)

Its been hot here.  Up to 96 and humid makes it slow going.  I also have been lazy about getting the run in early before it gets hot.  Week started off w a cold and dudnt get out to run.

I got 38 mi in 4 runs.  Quality runs were 7 mi with 22 min@T and 13.1. With 8MP, these were before the heat wave.  Since then i just plug along.

Hope all the dads had a nice fathers day

Pain is my friend

I am pacing a buddy for WS for about 20 mile some where.  What aid station are you working at GatsbyBird?  I will come say hi.

Have a lot to do for the WS aid station next weekend (and won't be running much this upcoming week!).  I know Paul2432 is running WS this year.  Anyone else running/pacing/crewing/volunteering?

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?