Ultra Runners

June 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 35 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

and go Kaci! I love what she said about her Mom in the pre-race interview = respect!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Who is Lucy Bartholomew?  Dont know much about her.  Here comes the heat of the canyons

Fnkyhd.  Sure u know this but just in case u dont Zack Bitter is a ultrafatburnner, check out his website.  I remember you said u ate a pound of bacon in a race.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

GC100k

Sure u know this but just in case u dont Zack Bitter is a ultrafatburnner, check out his website.  I remember you said u ate a pound of bacon in a race.

Bitter does consume carbs for races and hard training. He has in the past done sugar gels during races. He said he consumes about 3000 calories of carbs during a 100 miler. That's what he said a couple months ago, but since then he's been doing a podcast with a carnivore guy (i.e., diet of 100% meat) and is embracing and being embraced by all the keto zealots, so maybe he's modified his race nutrition. It does seem that he's no longer a Hammer Gel endorser. He's being paced this year by vegan Jamil Coury.

At mile 40, Bitter was in 14th place.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

i know Bhearn from this forum is also one but also consumes carbs during races. Bob are you there? DW is totally into it. she is psyched cos she lost 47 lbs and feels great. we eat tons of greens, cheese, avocadoes, olives, all kinds of nuts and just a normal amount of meat. smaller meals are more satisfying because the carbs just make me hungrier. last night we had some kohlrabi noodles with peanut sauce that were excellent. she calls herself "lazy keto". i was concerned for her liver & kidney function but her labs are great after doing this almost a year... way better than mine. i will take carbs during training but i find stevia has helped me with uncontrollable sugar cravings when i am not running. i work at an outpatient clinic and you wouldnt believe how unhealthy and overweight everyone is. sometimes it seems like everyone is sick either diabetic or pre-diabetic and getting sicker all the time...and if someone brings in donuts or muffins or whatever they are slathered with sugar and everyone runs to them like they are starving. some of the ma's are approaching 300 lbs! my biggest problem is beer. i just wont give it up

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Agree on drawing the line on beer.

Walmsley is killing it. Last few AS consistent 8:30 min/ mile splits (mile 78.9)

Sharman just a machine

Belgium 🇧🇪 is also killing it 4:1 over Tunisia  @51:16

Looks like Bitter Moved up a lot

T Hound

Slower but happier

Just playing with ultra live.net...

M7 - Ian Sharman On Course

Year Age Place Finish Time
              2010 29 8 17:26:19
              2011 30 10 16:40:19
              2012 31 5 15:54:38
              2013 32 4 16:20:25
              2014 33 6 15:47:50
              2015 34 7 16:44:27
              2016 35 6 16:55:11
              2017 36 7 17:42:06

F9 Megan Laws.  Age 57

Year Age Place Finish Time
              2006 45 35 23:20:54
              2007 46 25 20:50:06
              2009 48 30 21:33:36
              2010 49 22 19:15:58
              2011 50 29 18:50:19
              2012 51 43 19:45:24
              2013 52 18 19:30:50
              2014 53 49 21:14:48
              2015 54 53 22:36:47
              2016 55 40 20:30:11
              2017 56 33 21:57:09

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

go Megan!!!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

GC100k

At mile 40, Bitter was in 14th place.

He finished 11th. Avoided getting chicked by Courtney Dauwalter, who finished 20 seconds behind him.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

lamenting not much activity here. only a couple of comments on WS. where is everyone? i thought ultrarunning was a growing sport. is everyone on fb? im done with them. socializing shouldn't be a commodity esp when they sell our thoughts to anyone. we know not what monster we have built

had a really good week. 68.9 miles and 9700' vert according to strava although i think the vert was less because i dove off the lowdive with the watch on one day and it freaked out the barometric alt on the ambit 3. when i downloaded (uploaded?) the run to gpx file though it attempted to fix the vert but i think it gave me a couple thousand feet extra. weird. ok 7700' vert. that gives me more climbing to do

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyhd.   I think RA is just under the radar of most people.  I never heard of it until the RW collapse.  Some of the groups  (eg 320 Narathon) have a thread in one of the main threads which keeps them noticable, but not sure how the overall RA community feels about this).   On the flip side, it avoids a lot of the psychopathology of Lets run.  Not sure about FB, ive never looked at that.  Its to “look what i do” for me.

As far as privacy, i keep myself online prescence incredibly uninteresting.  But i agree FB is BS, at least you should be able to option in if you want, and get a cut of their profiteering for your info.

Hey, here's some WS talk:

I was at mile 85.2, ALT aid station, from 1:00 pm yesterday until 8:30 am this morning.   Forecast called for a scorcher, and it was, but we didn't see nearly as much carnage as we expected.  Around 80% finish rate.  NOT ONE PERSON DROPPED OR MISSED THE CUT-OFF AT ALT!  That made me supremely happy since pulling runners and cutting off their wrist bands is not my favorite part of the job.  Walmsley was about 20 minutes ahead of course record pace when we say him.  We figured he would not get lost again , and he was running effortlessly at mile 85.2.  Only question was whether he could keep up that pace and get the record.  Yep.  I was really happy to see Courtney Dauwalter get the win for the women.  She was not on record pace at mile 85.2 but was smiling and looked strong, with no close challengers.   The cut-off at ALT was 7:15 am, and a couple runners just squeaked through (but they were moving okay -- wish I could remember their numbers to see if they finished).  No major medical issues, just lots of serious dehydration.  But they were able to get it together and continue.

MTA: I missed Paul come through (sorry Paul --- one of the volunteers said you were looking for me).  I tried to nap in the back of my van between 3-4 am.  Not a very successful nap.

Not a great running week for me, but I'm okay with that.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

Gatsby:  sounds like a blast.  I need to get out there some day. A lot of great stories.

WS talk:   I’m just blown away by Sharman and Law’s consistency(if u didn’t already figure that out)  Elites come and go so quick in this sport and here these guys are doing it year after year at a high level.  That takes a whole different set of skills.

My week:

51 miles, started week slow, raining a lot.  Workout:  I tried to do a Tempo but couldn’t get going, so

I went to the track and did a little 9x400m @6:45 min/mi speedwork.  Then weather for weekend turned out

great 70-80s sunny.  Got in a couple trail runs including a fun 20 miler.   Was able to channel some of the excitement of WS.

Still not pulled trigger on races.

here is my new training plan:

40-55 mpw

5-6 days per week running

one aerobic day with strides and/or  hill sprints

one workout (interval, hill, stairs, or Tempo)

a MLR which may include either of above runs if needed

one LR on trail

Still tossing around the idea of signing up for a 10 mile race.

paul2432

Gatsby - No worries.  I came through and chatted with the nurse for a bit. I was in rough shape, and much to my pacer’s chagrin, sat down for a few minutes.  All the AS and volunteers at WS we’re awesome. Thank you.

All - WS was an incredible experience.  I didn’t meet my time goal, but did meet my goal of enjoying the experience.

dhuffman63

Trails

Congratulations Paul.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Way to go Paul.