Ultra Runners

August 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

I may find that out fnkyhd in Sept as I'm doing the Sizzling Sasquatch.  There are 3 days of up to 50k but I'm planning right now on just Sun's 50k and if I feel well enough the marathon on Monday.  It's over labor day weekend so I don't have to use PTO.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I forgot to change my location on weather bug back to Illinois after recent trip.  I thought it was supposed to be 75-80, I did 20 mile trail about 4 hrs including water stops (basically dousing myself in water a few times) only to find out it was actually 96!  I thought it felt a little harder than expected.

Protip:  always check the weather for the state your actually running in.

Fnkyhd:  Re multiday:   Ive no idea, never done it. I dont even do back to back LR.  Honestly, after long runs and races its more my brain that is wiped out and my stomach.  Staying motivated would be hard for me.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Pain is my friend

Finished the week with 73 miles.  Ran the Millcreek Canyon 50k.  It started Friday night at 9 pm.  I took it easy and pace a buddy.  It had 6800 ft vert and 8600 ft decent. It was a great week.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

hey all, Krash how was pacing?

32.4 miles this week with very little vert. strava is off because of diving off the diving board at the lake (i seem to have maxed out on the amount of air i can get safely). taking it easy mostly but carefully doing a tiny bit of faster stuff. still recovering for sure but pushing the recovery just a bit. def got some rebuilding to do. it is fun to run when it feels good and when it feels good to go fast i just want to go faster. it's kind of a problem

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Hi folks!  I've been a little AWOL here since TRT.  After going through a few crazy scenarios in my head about what to do next, I think I've decided to switch gears for the fall and focus on a road marathon in November.  Maybe try to improve my marathon time.  And give more thought to what ultras I want to do next year.  Have my eye on a couple of 100k's, Miwok (May) and Waldo (August), which are both lotteries.  Would like to do another 50 (heck I'd be happy doing TRT again).  Anyway, all of this is to say that I won't have a lot of ultra stuff to contribute here for a few months, but I'll continue to check in every now and then.

Because I love this pic from TRT, I'm posting it in every one of my forums.    (Apologies to people who have already seen it elsewhere!)

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

60mpw, hot,hot,hot.  Got hills sprints, tempo+strides (on the track even) and Sat 20 miler trail that ended at 96 degrees. At least there a good amount of shade.  Found some new trail routes today which were a surprise.  If I can recall how, I will post pictures.  I really need to commit to some fall races this is getting ridiculous.

edit:  okay did it, signed up for 15 hr elimination run in 3weeks and Indiana Trail 100 mile in October.

T Hound

Slower but happier

32.4 miles this week with very little vert. strava is off because of diving off the diving board at the lake (i seem to have maxed out on the amount of air i can get safely). taking it easy mostly but carefully doing a tiny bit of faster stuff. still recovering for sure but pushing the recovery just a bit. def got some rebuilding to do. it is fun to run when it feels good and when it feels good to go fast i just want to go faster. it's kind of a problem

I’m trying to figure out the strata diving board thing?

Gatsby: good luck on Marathon training.  Don’t be a stranger.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Gatsby, nice pic! keep in touch! i am interested in how to go from ultras to marathon because i totally failed at that last year.

TMH, it's because the altimeter on the ambit 3 is barometric so when i dive in the water it thinks i just climbed 1000 feet in one second. i have to remember to wear my ambit 2 (map based alt) in the summer...15 hr and a hundred? just for something to do? how does the elimination run work?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

Gatsby, nice pic! keep in touch! i am interested in how to go from ultras to marathon because i totally failed at that last year.

TMH, it's because the altimeter on the ambit 3 is barometric so when i dive in the water it thinks i just climbed 1000 feet in one second. i have to remember to wear my ambit 2 (map based alt) in the summer...15 hr and a hundred? just for something to do? how does the elimination run work?

Wait... so are you saying you run to this lake, jump in a couple times, then keep going? That's awesome. (Also, I looked up the workout in question - LOL at the elevation.)

Pain is my friend

It wasn't quite pacing, it was more like I decided to slow down and hang with my buddy.  It was hard to pace my buddy.  I wanted to climb and run down hill faster. But it payed off to slow down.  I wasn't trashed come Monday and was able to run.  I got time on my feet, practicing eating and drinking when I should. With no pressure of time. Its a win.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyhd.  The 15 hr elimination is basically a 4.25 trail loop.  You start a loop on the hour every hour.  If you finish a loop early rest. If you dont finish in 60 min your out.  (You can still run just wont be counted in results for that distance). You cant start the next loop early.  So if you do it all it comes out to 100k in 15hrs.  It is also minimal swag and bring your own aid station so it was cheap. $45, Money goes to help the trail.  I think it will be good 100 mile training.  Not an all out 100k.  The risk is if my stomach blows and i cant keep minimal pace for a loop i could be out whereas in a 100k i can stop or walk and pull it together and start running again.   We will see.

Fnkyhd.  Still dont quite understand, but i cant wait to try it w my watch.  Is it measuring change in pressure and setting the highest pressure(lowest depth) as your starting altitude?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Fnkyhd.  The 15 hr elimination is basically a 4.25 trail loop.  You start a loop on the hour every hour.  If you finish a loop early rest. If you dont finish in 60 min your out.  (You can still run just wont be counted in results for that distance). You cant start the next loop early.  So if you do it all it comes out to 100k in 15hrs.  It is also minimal swag and bring your own aid station so it was cheap. $45, Money goes to help the trail.  I think it will be good 100 mile training.  Not an all out 100k.  The risk is if my stomach blows and i cant keep minimal pace for a loop i could be out whereas in a 100k i can stop or walk and pull it together and start running again.   We will see.

Fnkyhd.  Still dont quite understand, but i cant wait to try it w my watch.  Is it measuring change in pressure and setting the highest pressure(lowest depth) as your starting altitude?

you know now that i think about it it should read that i went down not up since the pressure increases. i think the dive just freaks it out.

RW, ya i just put my stuff in my shoes near the lifeguard (if there is one) hoping they will stop someone from trying to steal my keys & glasses. and then after i get the swamp-cooler effect! ...but it is hard to get the legs going again after being in the water.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Similar to the Big Backyard Ultra put on by Laz (Barkley Marathons) except the Big Backyard has no time limit. Last year's race was epic with Guillaume Calmettes edging out Harvey Lewis 245.835 miles to 241.668 miles, i.e. 59 to 58 laps with each lap being 4.1667 miles. John Steene, who I believe holds the record for screwed runners at Vol States, was 89.5 miles behind Harvey.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Theres also a loop race around here where in betwen loops you can do hill repeats for fun.

Dang, just saw that Fat Dog has been cancelled this weekend due to fires.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR