Ultra Runners

August 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

drock69

Sucks about Fat Dog, knew a few people doing it. Was thinking about doing the 70 miler next year, instead of doing Squamish, not sure I could ever do the 120. Hopefully no fire for Squamish, looks good so far

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

T Hound

Slower but happier

Hope alls well

61 miles this week.  Workout day it was so hot i ended up in the basement on the treadmill and just did strides. Had nice trail 20 mi only to find out i had locked my keys in the trunk, DW to the rescue.  2 wks until 15 hr run so i will likely do a little less mpw.  Its hard with my paces and avail time to get higher milage, plus i start to not like running.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My training has finally taken a turn for the better. I've been able to start increasing my mileage and my pace. Post D3 I had been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and I hadn't realized how much it was affecting my running until I finally started getting treatment. 20 miles in a week was a struggle then but I just finished a 36.5 mile week with no problems.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GC100k

My training has finally taken a turn for the better. I've been able to start increasing my mileage and my pace. Post D3 I had been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and I hadn't realized how much it was affecting my running until I finally started getting treatment. 20 miles in a week was a struggle then but I just finished a 36.5 mile week with no problems.

That's awesome news.

Pain is my friend

Talking to a Nurse friend of mine that works in the cardiology lab, She tells me she sees a lot of middle age ultra runners in the lab for atrial fibrillation.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Pain is my friend

I got in 67 miles last week.  Raced a 15k trail race.  Legs were tired going into it.  Killed all the flat and down. But the up kicked my butt.

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

dhuffman63

Trails

Talking to a Nurse friend of mine that works in the cardiology lab, She tells me she sees a lot of middle age ultra runners in the lab for atrial fibrillation.

Did they say why that might be?

Pain is my friend

It has a lot to do with endurance athletes working their hearts hard for long periods of time. Some time one side the heart can't keep up. It was best put to me this way.

Person 1 is taking water buckets from point A to point B full of water to put out a Fire.  Person 2 is taking the water buckets From point B up the stairs to point C to put on the fire.  At first Person 2 will keep up. But over time they will have to work harder to keep up the same pace as person 1.  Person 2 is over worked and gets out of sync with person 1.

Did they say why that might be?

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

drock69

34.5 miles for me last week, tapering. Squamish 50/50 is this week, trying to workout food and recovery between races. 50 miler will take between 15-17hours, 15:36 and 16:02 are my 2 previous times, so not a lot of time to recover, since the bus leaves for the 50k at 5am the next morning. Thinking of bringing some sort of wrap, maybe with rice in it, maybe some baby food and some ensure. I didn't feel like eating last year, and that was part of the reason I didn't start the 50k, the other was the intense pain in my legs. Couldn't sleep without Tylenol to dull the pain. Not sure there's any way to cope with that, other than just sucking it up. Ice my legs and legs up wall? Hopefully not a repeat on the pain side

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

nOOky

44 miles last week with 8,500 feet of gain. I'm running a 50 miler in 2 weeks as race prep for The Bear in 7 weeks. Probably taper after Wednesday this week.

As for a-fib, I have had 3 ablations for a-fib, it started when I was 30 and racing road and mountain bikes. The last ablation was in 2012, and my heart has been rock steady ever since. I was not happy living with it and medication. I am off of everything with no restrictions, those drugs to control it as well as the blood pressure, blood thinners, and rhythm control drugs sucked.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

I had a couple awful training weeks, 25.5 and 31.6 miles. 2 weeks ago was a planned cutback week and then I cut back even more than planned. Last week I took one overnight work trip (Mon-Tue) and started another one (Sun) that I'm still currently on. Hello from New Hampshire, btw.

I found out today I won an award at FANS! I won "best ultra story" or something, for my huge improvement in miles (a 44% increase). I feel very honored and now I'm thinking that maybe I will do the 24 hour race again, even though I said I was going to just do 12 hours. I really want to get the full experience.

T Hound

Slower but happier

NOOKy which 50 miler?

Drock.  I think just running 80 straight would be easier

than having your body tightenup and just mentally getting back

out there.

Wc glad to hear hearts taken care of and the training is back in swing

rwd.  Congrats on your award.

I plotted out a 104 mile three day Ice Age Trail self supported run today.  I dont really have time off but it was fun to contemplate.  Plus if i did it i would need to obtain all the gear as i have no pack/tent/bag etc. that would be fun too but can get $$.   Its hard to guage how many miles in a day to go.  Ive done a lot of racing there but that doesn’t include all the camping stuff Which i would cary set up/ after running 100k in a day.  Also no body is going to handing me water.   Im thinking start conservative with around 50k per day.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

nOOky

It's called Underdown Trail race, I think it's the second year in existence, near Gleason, WI.

NOOKy which 50 miler?

Drock.  I think just running 80 straight would be easier

than having your body tightenup and just mentally getting back

out there.

Wc glad to hear hearts taken care of and the training is back in swing

rwd.  Congrats on your award.

I plotted out a 104 mile three day Ice Age Trail self supported run today.  I dont really have time off but it was fun to contemplate.  Plus if i did it i would need to obtain all the gear as i have no pack/tent/bag etc. that would be fun too but can get $$.   Its hard to guage how many miles in a day to go.  Ive done a lot of racing there but that doesn’t include all the camping stuff Which i would cary set up/ after running 100k in a day.  Also no body is going to handing me water.   Im thinking start conservative with around 50k per day.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

dhuffman63

Trails

drock I can't wait for your RR for Squamish.  I'm still considering if I feel ok after the 50k on the 2nd doing to marathon the next day.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Hi all, to those who remember me.  GatsbyBird told me to stop by when I saw her at Miwok in May, so, poof, just like that, here I am 3 months later.

It looks like I may see Drock at Squamish this weekend.  I'll be in a Seven Hills shirt and/or hat.  Oldish looking guy with a Seattle accent.

Race For The Ages sounds fun sometime.  So many races, so little time.

I ran Ouray 100 a couple weeks ago.  If Hardrock is on your list, do Ouray instead/too because you get in by signing up.  I met some Matts From Canada there.  They are fast, just like everyone from north of the border.