Ultra Runners

August 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Drock:  I'm modeling both the shirt and hat in my picture...

Hi all, to those who remember me.  GatsbyBird told me to stop by when I saw her at Miwok in May, so, poof, just like that, here I am 3 months later.

It looks like I may see Drock at Squamish this weekend.  I'll be in a Seven Hills shirt and/or hat.  Oldish looking guy with a Seattle accent.

Race For The Ages sounds fun sometime.  So many races, so little time.

I ran Ouray 100 a couple weeks ago.  If Hardrock is on your list, do Ouray instead/too because you get in by signing up.  I met some Matts From Canada there.  They are fast, just like everyone from north of the border.

Thank goodness you finally showed up here.  I'd been holding my breath.  

Good luck to you and Drock at Squamish!

And happy running to Bert-o at the BUS 50k!

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

drock69

SeattleMax - which race are you doing? I'll look for you in the dark, race started late last year and it was light out, we'll see if they get everyone parked in time this year

Looks like the smoke is sort of clearing, the numbers looks better anyways, and I can see a silhouette of the mountains

Dhuffman - I've yet to finish a b2b race, all you can do is show up and give it a try

Bert-o - good luck at the 50k!

Treadmill Hound - yeah, I think 80 miles would be easier too, or the 50k the first day for more recovery. I guess it's not about being easy

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Drock:  50/50.  Two chances to find each other.

RWD

Hi from New Hampshire! I am having an interesting week. My trip out here was kind of comedically disastrous and this training I'm in has been draining. I got a couple chance to run out by the Piscataqua River mouth and it has been totally restorative. I have the exam for this course tomorrow and then I'M FREE.

Seamax, so good to see you. Have not read the RR yet but it's still in my feedly for when my brain recovers.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Drock, Berto, Seamax have good races.

Seamax did you get a cameo in the Ouray movie or were u left on the cutting floor?

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Treadmill: That movie is from a couple years ago, before I knew about the race.  I don't like that movie - it could be titled "Ode To Avery" and was probably directed by his girlfriend.  But I did meet him at Hardrock and he seems nice enough.  He DNF'd the Ouray 50 - he told me at Hardrock it was just a training run.  I think he's doing Tor de Geants this year.

berylrunner

Rick

Hey all.  Good luck to the racers this weekend.

Good to see Seattlemax and Jay on here.

Time to get training again.  I have an elimination event on Sept. 7-8 called Last One Standing.  Details:

7pm start for the 24 hour solo and 2 person relay.

7 am start for the 12 hour the next morning

90 minutes for a 6 miles loop.

Paved bike trail.  Hopefully some softer ground to the sides.

Sprint finish for the last lap to determine podium.

Not too many registered for the 24 hour with other events going on.  12 hour could be huge.  All registrants for the St. George Marathon (6000+) could receive a free entry.  Could be the biggest Ultra in the country.

Training has not been so good.  Too much work, but a lot of time on feet.  No long runs for almost 2 months.  Have one planed for Sunday.  Still daily running and have added some intensity.  Paces have been great.  Have been doing heat training.

Injuries - still some lingering pf, but feels better.  Dealing with a sore back but running helps.

Overall health - pretty good.  I lost 5 lbs. during my last hay harvest and have started cleaning up the diet.  Stopped drinking booze last week and surprisingly haven't been cranky and not missing it.  Course I will have a cooler for the event.

Race strategy - have patience and fun.  Run/Walk.  Conserve through the night to save for the day.  Conditions will be hot.  Try to finish the laps with a 10-15 min buffer.

12-23  Last One Standing  -  Finished 102 miles

2- 24 Grandmaster 100 - 22:32, 1st place

4-24. Cappy's Backyard - 17 yards, 1st place

5-24  Bryce 100 - 29:38, 18th place

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

hey everyone, sorry for being absent. my Dad passed away after a difficult 10 month battle with undiagnosed but what we think was vascular dementia, so ive been in az with too much chaos to keep up or train properly. i did get some nice short runs in here on the trails around prescott but nothing close to what i should be doing. guess ill have another 2 weeks to train before taper so i gotta crank it up.

Drock, good luck this weekend! after doing the 50 last year i couldnt imagine going back out the next day after your body shifts to recovery but Mikey said just get gradually moving again and youll be ok.

Seamax, welcome back! looking forward to hearing your impressions of SQ.

scary about the afib! im gonna ask our cardiologist about that

nice to see a lot of activity here!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

scary about the afib! im gonna ask our cardiologist about that

Heart rhythm is back to normal and staying that way for now. I'm off the medication (blood thinner), and for now all I need to do is monitor my heart rate daily, something I should be doing anyway to check my recovery rate from hard runs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

hey everyone, sorry for being absent. my Dad passed away after a difficult 10 month battle with undiagnosed but what we think was vascular dementia, so ive been in az with too much chaos to keep up or train properly. i did get some nice short runs in here on the trails around prescott but nothing close to what i should be doing. guess ill have another 2 weeks to train before taper so i gotta crank it up.

Funky, sorry to hear about your Dad.  Dementia is awful.  Good that you were there.  You've got a solid training base, you'll be fine.  And rested!

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

T Hound

Slower but happier

Treadmill: That movie is from a couple years ago, before I knew about the race.

I know, just trolling, though I thought of u when i read about Baldy Marathons 100 mi w 60 hr cutoff.  Seems like something else

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyhd sorry about your dad.  Dementia is a rough illness.  DW’s mom has it and basically living in the moment isnt all its cracked up to be.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Beryl. I will be curious to see what u think about your elimination run. Ive got one this coming weekend.  Since there really no advantage to going fast, i am going to try and keep my hr as low as possible kinda like a hundred mile training run.  Btw your hay literally and metaphorically is in the barn.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Fnky: Sorry about your dad.  Everything about that sounds hard.  Thinking about you and your family.  Take care of yourself.