Ultra Runners

Training for Vert (Read 27 times)

Leaf_124

Hello,

First time poster on the ultra running forum, but have been following. Was wondering how you all target races with elevation. Do you try to get the elevation of the course into a week of training, maybe in a peak week? Or just try to get a proportionate amount in the long run and one hill workout a week? Do you feel you have to get the vert every week or every other week? do you increase vert like mileage is increased (10% rule). Would like to hear your strategies Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I live at low altitude with the biggest hill nearby only about 150-200 ft of vert. When I asked a similar question to a local elite ultra runner, she said to just run lots of repeats up the hills I have available.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

paul2432

I calculate the climbing/mile (total climbing/total distance) and then run trails that have about the same amount of climbing/mile.  Some of my runs are on the treadmill and I'll simulate climbing there as well.  Of course, I don't get the downhill on the TM, which is good and bad.  Good in that I get a break from the downhill pounding, bad that I'm not training for downhill on the treadmill.  4 days outside on trails and 3 days inside on the TM seems to work for me.  I'll also do flat runs on the TM so my weekly climbing/mile is usually less than the race climbing/mile.

Unless your weekly mileage also happens to be the race distance, I don't see any reason to shoot for a weekly climbing total equal to the race climbing.  It could be more or less depending on the race distance and your weekly volume.

This is just what I do.  I'll let you know if it worked in two weeks.

berylrunner

Rick

No calculations, numbers or ratios for you.  Just try to get as much in as you can.  Note, your overall mileage will suffer, there is just no way to do more vertical if you have time restrictions.  I think it is a good trade off.

Downhill, downhill, downhill.  Can't say it enough.  This is where you will see the benefits of vert.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I was waiting for my replies to put in my own since I have the same questions but heres what im doing fwiw. got a 9K vert 50 miler in a month and my goal was to get 10K in a peak week but it looks like ill be hitting that too early (this week), so maybe a cut back week next week and then one more strong vert week after that for peak with 2 weeks to go until race day. the strong runners around here drive too much out to the mountains to get theirs. I don't like driving that much

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Leaf_124

Thanks for the responses!

I myself only got one week where my mileage/vert was proportionate to the race (mountain vacation). Quads were sore after that but it really did toughen my legs up for the next few weeks of training. Did two 50 km races for long runs but not enough vert for those a lot less than the goal race, so other weekends I had a steeper run closer to goal race in climbing that was still long in terms of time on feet but not as long a distance. basically i can get representative vert into a long run or hill workout, but for weekly climbing it has been falling short of the target goal race. Definitely can't make it to the mountains as often as I like, enough driving already with work. I guess I'll see how it works out on race day and just do my best.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

seems like you understand the importance of training similar terrain. trust in your training and be confident!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24