Ultra Runners

February 2018 Ultra Running Forum (Read 47 times)

berylrunner

Rick

Nice weeks being reported.

Fnkyhd - congrats on deciding on the 100.  Now that is your main goal, your other races become training runs.  The key is little to no taper and hopefully very short recovery time.  Can't go wrong with adding vert. with emphasis on the downhill.

Had a quiet recovery week with the longest run being 8 miles.  Kept the running streak going.  Good to go physically, mentally a little sluggish.  Wanted to go watch my brother race a hundred this weekend, maybe pace or help with the race, but behind on the work.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Beryl, thanks ya good point on the taper, but with sept so far out and surgery in between I don't know if it matters. I am still on the fence whether I want to try my best at chuckanut, perhaps a game-time decision but I did put-off surgery so I can run it and whiskey basin. I don't want to get stuck in the mid pack in a conga line which is motivation for me to move a little faster to find some space but I know everyone goes out too fast so maybe there's no way to avoid lines on the trail.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

OMR

Treadmill Hound:  Thanks.  Regarding LRs on the treadmill, I think I've gone as long as either 21 or 22.  Netflix helps, as does some way to build in variety.  I've occasionally done a course simulation run, making a rough map of the elevation profile of a portion of a race, and then following it by changing the % of incline as needed.  It makes the time go just a little faster (for me, anyway).

Krash:  Nice week!

fnky:  Good to see a race (goal or not) on your schedule.

I am still not running.  Lots of core work instead.  Hoping to be able to start up again around March 1st, and I'm looking for a 2019 Western States qualifier later in the year.  Has anyone here run Pine to Palm?

T Hound

Slower but happier

OMR,  I was looking around last year for info online about races and elevation (besides just profiles they all show), to simulate climbs.  The only thing I found specific was for Pikes peak marathon.  Then I gave up, I just do intervals every 1/4 or 1/2 mile or so.  I did them walking on Friday instead of a recovery run, I am thinking of making that a regular thing, I need to learn to hike better and recovery is recovery, so I don't think I will loose fitness, maybe gain.

FKYHD, congrats on signing on the dotted line for Mountain Lakes.  Don't worry about running with a hernia, if it pops out you can push it in!  But if it gets stuck and you cannot, then you might need emergency surgery, so yeah maybe do fix it before Mountain Lakes.  Also, in the meantime I would avoid stuff that increases your intra abdominal pressure a lot.

I am bummed the Olympics are over.  Some great stuff and motivating for sure.  Now I want to see trail/ultra running in the next one.  It is pretty international sport and growing.

MY week:   time is flying, Feb almost gone.  Technically I am in week 8 of Pfits 18/55, but I have modified it a bit, though workouts and LR are basically the same and he has a medium LR during the week.  I would always stress about when to run on Tuesday, so I just made it my rest day and run Monday instead.  This makes since also in terms of active recovery from the LR.

mon: 6 mi easy on TM

tue:   my new rest day!

wed: 10.4 mi LT run 5 miles @ LT (7:30-8:00)

thu:   11.4 mile aerobic run (cold road run 9:20-10:00)

fri:     4.25 mi walking incline intervals on TM

sat:   6 easy TM

sun: 17 mile progression LR @9:06 avg finishing around 8:30s, got outside, was sunny, warm (42) and dry asphalt bike trail

total miles:  55 mi

next week is a "recovery week" but it doesn't look too much less (9 mi with 4LT, 10 medium LR, and I am putting a15 mile (12 mile MP) run at the end due to scheduling issues.  I may cut some miles off the mid week runs.

Goal Race:  Earth Day 50K on 4/21.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Pain is my friend

Had another great week.  Only have 2 more hard weeks before the taper. Looking forward to taking it easier.

Mon: 13 miles in a snow storm

Tue: 8 mile in a snow storm

Wed: rest  day - not enough sleep

Thurs: 11 in the morning and 10 on the TM ave 7:40

Fri: 8 miles easy

Sat: 26 road miles with 2,300 ft vert ave 8:05 pace.

Total: 76 miles

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

drock69

Turned out to be another rest week, with around 30 miles this week, and 1h35 on the bike trainer.

Ran a 25k race on Saturday, was a bit of an adventure getting there, about 10" of fresh snow at my house, and more like 14" where the race started. Snow plough broke down, and people without 4x4 or at least snow tires had a hard time parking, so an hour delay to the race start. Had a pack of Stinger chews while waiting, and they turned my stomach a bit, so started slowly near the back. Probably should have passed a few more people, but treated it like a training run. The course was altered, with the biggest climb taken out, which was described as "a frozen waterfall". The 100k I'm doing in April is on the same trails, so was good to get some time on the same trails, although the snow added a different dynamic. Wore nano spikes with my Speedgoats, and traction was good for most of it, and it was fun passing in the deep snow on the downhills. At least being near the back meant that the trail was packed down. Took a couple spills on the downhill, the trail was getting icy, and the nanospikes were slipping out, especially with with a thin layer of fresh snow off the trees. A guy that I was running with caught up to me in the last km, and we were running together, trying to push a bit, was pretty beat though, even though I started super slow. Ended up sprinting in for the finish neck and neck, was good spirited though, and we were both laughing about the sprint in. One of the most beautiful runs I've done, the forest was amazing with all the fresh snow, and sunny blue skies. Was lucky that most of it was in the trees, felt like I was going to go snow blind in the few short sections under the power lines

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

I am bummed the Olympics are over.  Some great stuff and motivating for sure.  Now I want to see trail/ultra running in the next one.  It is pretty international sport and growing.

I LIVE for the Olympics. Maybe one day the winter triathlon will make it in. It made me want to bust out my xc skis. Maybe next year I'll be more confident in my running and can sub in some xc skiing on the weekends. Perhaps with a squirt gun to mix in some biathlon. Right now I don't want to sacrifice the mileage.

I'm in a holding pattern right now - I kind of get this way at the "end" of winter when I'm sick of being cold and sick of all the planning I have to do just to get out and run (what to wear, what's the weather going to be like, what are the road/trail conditions). So I'm pretty much all treadmill right now. Also shoveling is a great strength workout.

I did sign up for FANS again! I'm actually very excited to give it another try, as I will be living in the Twin Cities by then and won't have to do so much logistical planning.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I LIVE for the Olympics. Maybe one day the winter triathlon will make it in. It made me want to bust out my xc skis. Maybe next year I'll be more confident in my running and can sub in some xc skiing on the weekends. Perhaps with a squirt gun to mix in some biathlon. Right now I don't want to sacrifice the mileage.

Cool you signed up for the 24 hour race.  A few of us in trailer trash are doing the Montour 24 in May.  I've never done a timed race before, but it was described to me as a smorgasbord with some running involved, so I figured what the heck.

I've been following along the thread, but I haven't posted in a while.  I've been averaging 50 mpw for the past 6 weeks.  Week before last I did my first back-to-back LR's (20 Sat, 20 Sun).  Nothing broke, so last week was 13 Sat, 21 Sun.  I'm pretty surprised that my body has held up (knock on wood) since it's all pavement pounding.  Looking forward to spring so I can hit the trails though.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

nOOky

Just checking in... RWTD hope to see you this year at a race, although I am not doing anything in the Midwest except maybe the new Duluth timed race in June.

Just finished the Antelope Canyon 50 mile on a recovering case of non-insertional Achilles tendonitis and I had very little issues with it so I am happy. I have not tun over a half marathon so far this year so I was nervous, but it went okay.

I am not sure who everyone here is except I can figure some of the names out, but not all.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

RWD

Just checking in... RWTD hope to see you this year at a race, although I am not doing anything in the Midwest except maybe the new Duluth timed race in June.

Just finished the Antelope Canyon 50 mile on a recovering case of non-insertional Achilles tendonitis and I had very little issues with it so I am happy. I have not tun over a half marathon so far this year so I was nervous, but it went okay.

I am not sure who everyone here is except I can figure some of the names out, but not all.

I am moving to St. Paul so I will probably not be at the race in June. I was interested in it but I don't think I'm fast enough to enjoy it. I'd be worried I'd be out on the first loop and it would be a huge waste of money and time.

I'm glad you're around, though! I do have a question, have you done Surf the Murph? I'm looking at doing that for my first 50*. Cutoff is 14 hours which may or may not work for me depending on the course.

Bert-o, I did FANS last year and tapped out at 29 miles. It sucked and I felt really crummy about how I handled the race, but I learned a lot. Now this year I'll have something to motivate me to keep moving. Also maybe it won't be 90F.

*I plan on doing over 50 miles at FANS of course!!

berylrunner

Rick

40 miles for the week.  Long run of 20 miles.  Heavy legs if anyone has a remedy.  I am thinking a few intervals on (gulp) road?

Fnkyhd - The surgery will complicate things, hope it goes well.  If it were me, I would race the 50k depending on training/niggle injuries and do Whiskey as a tourist run.  Practice the 100 mile pace (of course look at the cutoffs you don't want to go too slow).

OMR - Hope to see you running again soon.  Heard a rumor that Chimera is in its last year, but that would be a 2020 WS qualifier.

Krash, Treadmill - nice weeks

nOOky - nice job on your race.  Wanted to be there (my brother was running), but had other commitments.  Tough course.

Drock - congrats on a tough race.  Have you tried microspikes?  Heavy, but incredible grip.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

drock69

https://www.facebook.com/CoastMountainTrailSeries/photos/a.1069601303187579.1073741894.150165918464460/1069609396520103/?type=3&theater

25k finish photo, racing for the finish, even though I'm near the back, not sure the photo will show up here

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

paul2432

Beryl - For heavy legs, I'll do some stretching and foam rolling, and run easy for a few days.  Maybe try to get more sleep, make sure I'm hydrated, avoid alcohol.  Sometimes I'll have heavy legs and I just play it by ear if I have a hard day planned.  Often, the feeling goes away after a few miles warmup.

A little late, but here is my week:

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Feb 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 25, 2018

Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                            Mon 5.0 9:03 TM easy 0 strava
                            Tue 8.2 8:24 Temp on the TM at 5% 0 strava
                            Wed 7.0 9:13 Afternoon Trail Run 898 strava
                            Thu 8.3 10:37 Morning Trail Run 1430 strava
                            Fri 6.0 11:56 2x15 minutes at 15% 0 strava
                            Sat 14.4 11:06 Trail Run 3040 strava
                            Sun 18.0 10:31 Trail Run 3119 strava
                            drock69

Berylrunner - I was thinking of getting microspikes, just went with the nanospikes I had, since I knew the trail would be packed down, a few sections would have been better with microspikes, the nanospikes did a decent job on most of it

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Heavy legs if anyone has a remedy.  I am thinking a few intervals on (gulp) road?

Fnkyhd - The surgery will complicate things, hope it goes well.  If it were me, I would race the 50k depending on training/niggle injuries and do Whiskey as a tourist run.  Practice the 100 mile pace (of course look at the cutoffs you don't want to go too slow).

heavy legs: epsom salt bath. also i tried a very old remedy for a muscle strain/sprain i got last weekend that seems to have worked very well. i made a plaster with ginger, flour and wine and held it on with a compression sock overnight. grated the ginger on the cheese grater, mixed with flour added a little wine to make the right consistency.

be careful doing intervals on heavy legs! that's what i did to get the injury!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24