Ultra Runners

PING: Purdey (Read 136 times)

Into the wild

Shut up and run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Johnny, Firstly - happy Bastille Day! I would love to do it. Unfortunately : 1. I've still not recovered from my shin splints. 2. I pulled my bloody calf muscle on Fri, so I'm restricted to swimming at the moment! I'm still hoping to do a 30k trail race on Aug 10 and then the Clarendon marathon in Oct... but my training has been massively set back. Maybe next year for the Downland 30!

Into the wild

Thanks Purdey, fireworks and drinking alond will an abundance of civic ceremony.. Smile I thought you'd gone quiet!! Bummer about injuries. I feel you went big on the mileage too soon..is that the case? I would further hazzard a guess that it's been harder on your bod while carrying the extra weight... (I know a bit about that Wink ), anyhow, get well soon. Remember, it's not a defeat to change your goals and targets; you put them up, you can move them. I'll see you at the start line one of these days, no rush though eh Smile Keep the faith, Johnny

Shut up and run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Cheers fella. No question - you are right - the mileage went up pretty quickly and I was carrying a lot of extra weight. I'm now down to 78kg/171pounds/12.3 stone from 95kg/209 pounds/14.9 stone and heading towards my 11 stone (ish) goal. That should certainly make the running easier and the injuries less likely. I'm not going to run at all until I'm absolutely certain that the shins have healed - and it may take a while. But in the meantime there's loads of cross training that I can do, which will help regulate the weight and condition the rest of the body to resist injury.