Ultra Runners

Ray Miller volunteer report (Read 16 times)

paul2432

I volunteered at the final aid station at the Ray Miller 50/50 (km/miles) this weekend.  I really enjoyed it.  This is a short write up.

I volunteered for this race because several friends were running.  I didn’t run myself because I have a goal marathon next weekend.  Unfortunately I had the first shift at the station, and none of my friends came through while I was there.

The night before the RD asked me to prepare some boiled salted potatoes so I did.  My 12 year old daughter and I arrived at the finish at 7:15, met up with the captain and headed over to the aid station.  We got set up and waited.  The first 50ker came through around 9:30.  Then we waited some more.  Eventually runners started coming in more steadily.  Some were in not so good shape.  I really enjoyed encouraging them, getting them what they needed, etc.

We had a few drops at out stop.  One fellow headed out and then cramped big time on the climb out.  Fortunately for him the trail doubled back so he was close to us as the crow flies.  Our medic and one of our volunteers ran up to him.  He was eventually ok.

Later we kept getting reports that there was a guy in.really bad shape a couple miles out from our station.  Again someone went out to assist him in.  He was eventually ok as well.

Later the lead 50 mile male and female came in, maybe 10minutes apart.  We didn’t see another 50 miler for over an hour (although plenty of 50 mile bibs that dropped down in distance).

Through all this my daughter was super helpful and had a great time which was a big relief for me.

Finally the second shift arrived at 2:45 and my crew headed out at 3:00 after a short transition period.  We went back to the start/finish where it was cool to see some of the folks I had aided cross the line, especially ones that were struggling.

i hope to find other races to volunteer at in the future.  It was a great way to be part of the event even though I could not run.

RWD

Volunteering is so much fun. It's such a great way to pay forward the great treatment I've received at aid stations. It's also amazing for the people-watching.