Ultra Runners

Practicing to Eat (Read 674 times)

I've read several posts from experienced runners about practicing to eat on the run.  This is yet another thing I have not done...

I have only 9 weeks left to my first 100 so wanted to know of any specific methods or recommendations for how to practice.

Should you only practice eating on long runs? Maybe I should see how many PBJ's I can eat on a easy morning 8 miler?  I can probably get a 40 minute run in during lunch should I eat during this?

Is the benefit of practicing to try to find out what you can tolerate, or to get better at tolerating what you eat?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Umstead!!

I'll be watching this thread.  BUT: in my (limited) experience, eat something solid right before a long run or in the middle of the long run.  I may get to try this very weekend!  I think it is about figuring out what you can tolerate AND figuring out how to proceed when your stomach turns south.  For me, for the latter, in the past I have just switched to Coke.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

See how many PBJs you can eat during your easy 8-miler. Then, keep going for another 20 and see how that works out for you. Wink

I have no advice on practicing. My long-long runs, I stick with the drink/Blok plan below.

What's worked for me so far (26.2 - 100 miles):

- 200 kcal / hr from Succeed Amino/Clip and Clif Shot Bloks

- supplement with a little bit of whatever looks good at the aid stations

For me, there comes a point sometime after 12 hours where nothing is good (except chicken soup). I stick with the plan and choke the stuff down.

Caveat: I'm small - 5'5" and 105#. 200 kcal / hr (plus snacks) may not be enough for you. But, we can only handle so much at a time - I think I've read quotes going up to 300 kcal / hr.

See you at Umstead!

Liz

pace sera, sera

Practice on your long runs for sure. In my limited experience creating a habit was helpful. Every long run I just used my race strategy even though it probably wasn't totally necessary for a training run. I ate 100-150 calories every 30 minutes no exceptions during my 100. I got a little liquid calories from Gatorate G2 or Clif drink mix, but mostly it was gels/shot blocks, every now and then a grilled cheese. I estimate I took in at least 5,000 calories from gels/shot blocks... yum. 200-300 cal per hour is a lot to take in on a 20-30 miler but it's good to try it out. If you can set a timer on your watch to beep every 30 minutes. Try out what you will use on race day. I found out in a 50 mile training race that Succeed Clip did not work for me at all. It's good to find that stuff out before your big race.

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

From my limited experience in 100s, one thing I would recommend is that you stay open to mixing it up.  If your plan, which has worked in training, suddenly goes to hell in the race, don't hesitate to mix it up...try something different, etc.  

An example is my run at Hardrock last year.  Normally, gels work fine... I can eat 2-3 hour and not have problems.  For some reason, at that race my stomach was just off... for about 50-60 miles.  On advice of my pacer, I threw out the gel plan and started eating stuff like pie, bacon, eggs, burritos, potatoes, etc... which *sounded* awful to me...I was absolutely certain it would make me puke.  Oddly...it worked.  Felt much better, sour stomach went away.  The rest of the race was quite pleasant.  No idea why..  

DoppleBock

Get up eat 4 eggs and 1/2 pound of bacon and then go out and run.  Stop @ the and get a donut on you run.  Then rely on PB &J until you reach your favorite Pizza place.  After Pizza you might have to walk / run to your favorite pub for burgers, fries and beer. Finally go to the last stop of the day DQ, have a big icecream cone - But you must eat it as you are walking.

That should be good for your next 20 mile run.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

When I practice long runs

I typically do a loop (Car parked for supplies) that takes @ 1 hour - I eat a bigger thing on the hour + refill handhelds.  During the loop I eat a gel or 2 and take my s-caps.  I repeat this process until I do not want to run anymore.  I have done 21-28-35-42-49-56 miles.  I usually am targeting either 35 or 42.  But at times I feel like crap and I am "Done", other times I feel great and keep going.  I never read too much into either occurence - Sometimes you have good days / sometimes bad - I do not force to many miles out of a day I just don't have "it"

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Get up eat 4 eggs and 1/2 pound of bacon and then go out and run.

If my boy says he can eat 50, he can eat 50 eggs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNyl6gXLMLQ

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

When I practice long runs

I typically do a loop (Car parked for supplies) that takes @ 1 hour - I eat a bigger thing on the hour + refill handhelds.  During the loop I eat a gel or 2 and take my s-caps.  I repeat this process until I do not want to run anymore.  I have done 21-28-35-42-49-56 miles.  I usually am targeting either 35 or 42.  But at times I feel like crap and I am "Done", other times I feel great and keep going.  I never read too much into either occurence - Sometimes you have good days / sometimes bad - I do not force to many miles out of a day I just don't have "it"

One thing mentioned above is doing X on the hour and something else at time Y, Z.  I think this is very important.  After being out there a while it is much easier to think about what needs to be done or attempted at certain points on the clock rather than a time.  I try to hit salt and ensure water consuption (~ bottle) every top of the hour as well well as take in 100 cals.  Then about 20 and 40 after I take in another 100 cals or so.  This is my way of taking in the obligatory 250-300 cals our bodies are supposed to be able to handle/process (I am sure some people do more or less but this comes with the practice).

Be prepared to switch it up and know that what works at one point wont at another.  As for large solids, doesn't work well for me but that is me.  crackers, gels, solution work well as do Larabars - they are mainly fruit and seem to digest well for me.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

The calories that are going to work best for you are the ones that you are putting down during a race.  You can practice with certain foods (lets use gu and PB&J as an example.)  Do all your long runs with it, maybe do a smaller race with it, get to the big day and by mile 45 it sounds terrible and it sits in all of your drop bags or your crew can't talk you into eating it. 

Rather than finding one or two types of food that work really well, I think it helps to find a bunch of foods that are going to provide calories without projectile vomiting or explosive diarrhea (although there are no guarantees late in the game).  Now you can pack your drop bags or provide your crew with sandwiches, chips, nuts, candy, gus, cookies, breads, drinks, etc.  Go nuts.  Whatever you don't eat during the race will last to be a snack the next day or can last for months.   The extras are worth it if you can complete the race without the tank going empty or having spent 35 miles fantasizing about your favorite type of cookie that days before you thought you wouldn't want.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Never underestimate the power of bacon.

My crew had an obscene amount of food on hand. I was prepared for anything... cold pizza, cheese sandwiches, avocados, tortillas, chips, pretzels, cookies, gummy bears, nuts, fruit snacks, bananas, watermelon, G2, ginger ale, soda, red bull. I ended up eating one piece of pizza, once piece of watermelon and a few bottles of G2. I LOVE gummy bears and I had a bunch of them thinking they would be a real treat... and I ended up not touching them.

They had bacon at mile 90 at Cascade Crest and I could smell it like a quarter mile away it seemed. Made me want to vomit. But they looked at me like I was nutso so I am pretty sure everyone else appreciated the bacon.

~Sara
                          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Mmm... bacon.... I think. Maybe. Depends.

But, looking forward to finding out this year at mile 90! Big grin

My crew had an obscene amount of food on hand. I was prepared for anything... cold pizza, cheese sandwiches, avocados, tortillas, chips, pretzels, cookies, gummy bears, nuts, fruit snacks, bananas, watermelon, G2, ginger ale, soda, red bull. I ended up eating one piece of pizza, once piece of watermelon and a few bottles of G2. I LOVE gummy bears and I had a bunch of them thinking they would be a real treat... and I ended up not touching them.

They had bacon at mile 90 at Cascade Crest and I could smell it like a quarter mile away it seemed. Made me want to vomit. But they looked at me like I was nutso so I am pretty sure everyone else appreciated the bacon.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I will not be eating bacon.

The King of Beasts

The calories that are going to work best for you are the ones that you are putting down during a race.  You can practice with certain foods (lets use gu and PB&J as an example.)  Do all your long runs with it, maybe do a smaller race with it, get to the big day and by mile 45 it sounds terrible and it sits in all of your drop bags or your crew can't talk you into eating it. 

Rather than finding one or two types of food that work really well, I think it helps to find a bunch of foods that are going to provide calories without projectile vomiting or explosive diarrhea (although there are no guarantees late in the game).  Now you can pack your drop bags or provide your crew with sandwiches, chips, nuts, candy, gus, cookies, breads, drinks, etc.  Go nuts.  Whatever you don't eat during the race will last to be a snack the next day or can last for months.   The extras are worth it if you can complete the race without the tank going empty or having spent 35 miles fantasizing about your favorite type of cookie that days before you thought you wouldn't want.

jet blackberry GU ??

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”