Ultra Runners

Practicing to Eat (Read 674 times)

Mmm... bacon.... I think. Maybe. Depends.

But, looking forward to finding out this year at mile 90! Big grin

They do not mess around at Cascade Crest. I haven't done any others to compare too, but the food was quite impressive. Tons of grilled cheese, grilled ham and cheese, quesadillas, PB&Js, but then there was also the bacon, chocolate chip pancakes, perogies, potato soups, noodle soups, chocolate fountain....

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are the gilled sandwiches hot or cold?

xor

Are the gilled sandwiches hot or cold?

Hot.  Well, at the aid station I worked at least.

Edited to add: the grilled cheese.  We didn't have fish sandwiches.

Edited further to add: now I want fish pie.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

They do not mess around at Cascade Crest. I haven't done any others to compare too, but the food was quite impressive. Tons of grilled cheese, grilled ham and cheese, quesadillas, PB&Js, but then there was also the bacon, chocolate chip pancakes, perogies, potato soups, noodle soups, chocolate fountain....

Oh, good grief!! That is CRAZY!

But certainly appreciated (even if none of it winds up being appealing at the time). Grilled cheese and quesadillas have, so far, always been welcome. I'm really hoping I'll be up for the bacon and perogies!

Only 7 months to go...

On a total hijack, have you decided whether you'll be running again?

Liz

pace sera, sera

Yup...definitely signing up for Cascade Crest.  Fish sandwiches would be awesome too!

They served 80lbs of bacon at the Cow Camp A/S at Bighorn 100.  There was a runner who came in sick...and he'd been a vegetarian for 10+ years...looked around, grabbed a handful of bacon, and took off.  That was the turning point of his race.

Trent:  Turkey bacon may work.  Wink

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Yup...definitely signing up for Cascade Crest.  Fish sandwiches would be awesome too!

They served 80lbs of bacon at the Cow Camp A/S at Bighorn 100.  There was a runner who came in sick...and he'd been a vegetarian for 10+ years...looked around, grabbed a handful of bacon, and took off.  That was the turning point of his race.

Trent:  Turkey bacon may work.  Wink

Bacon just sounds horrible.  To WG's point though, the types of foods that you crave are often nothing you want day to day.  All I could think about was peppermints but had none.  Then when I stocked them, I didn't want them.

I also know a guy here that was vegan.  When he finished the race he ate meat - lots.  He too is still a carnivore.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't eat turkey either. 

But the story of the vegetarian grabbing bacon...heh heh heh.

Hotdogs with extra ketchup and (English) mustard at 3.00 am in the morning with a cuppa tea....food of the Gods.

I just love crispy, streaky bacon late on in a race, I seem to desire savoury, salty foods anything to get food inside me then washed down with a banana milkshake drink

Jerry
                    A runners blog-updated daily

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Why Bacon Is A Gateway To Meat For Vegetarians

As cited in the article - "BaconToday.com" - are you kidding me

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is a fascinating thread -- thanks for all the info -- except, stop posting bacon in such big letters, or I'm gonna get obsessed with it Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Bacon! I could not keep a banana down at a 50k. Do take this stuff with you on training runs? Went back to the the 1st post.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

Practice eating in training

and

You can not wait to eat in a race - Most people wait too long and then their body rejects it. 

Bacon! I could not keep a banana down at a 50k. Do take this stuff with you on training runs? Went back to the the 1st post.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

KvnJns

All this talk is making me hungry.

Kevin

DoppleBock

I do not eat Bacon while running - I know some do -

My food choices are very limited while training and running - I stay away from high sugar items except

Gels and Endurox R4

I tend not to drink sports drink

I eat bananas if possible or take a potasium pill

I will eat a small amount of meat and cheese in sandwhiches to keep my stomache from going sour with all the gels and Endurox I take.

I start fueling from the start and it is my main concern throughout the race - Food-Salt-hydration - running - time etc are just secondary ... If I nail the eating / drinking part the rest will fall into place.

It is a rare occassion when I can not follow my nutrition plan - My 1st 50M my nutrition plan was for a gel every 2 miles - so I ate 25 gels in 50 miles.

Pizza - Cookies - Candy or Candy Bars - Chocolate - etc - Make me crash

Soup - potatoes - pasta - Although normally not on my nutrition plan - work nicely

PB&J - The J has too much sugar

Beer - God how I love beer - has no place during my races - Unless during a marathon or shorter

I am sure looking forward to 2011 -

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !