Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 - 9/17/2016 (Read 57 times)

No portapotties? Those motion-activated PPs were the best! Where are the 200 people going to pee?

Have a great race, Buzzie!

Rains cleared out enough to give everybody time to set up. Looks like they'll be back by start time. Whee!

MTA: bathrooms are locked (of course) and the usual array of portajohns is nowhere to be seen. Wee!

bhearn

Tracking site is here, but there's nothing there yet. I'm told that three hours in, there is still no leader information, even on-site! WTF. USATF National Championships. Some mention was made of the pouring rain before the start, the implication possibly being that it messed up the timing mats? If that data is not there, this is going to count as a massive, massive, massive screwup. How are results going to be validated? A lot of people are pinning their hopes of making the 24-hour team on this race.

http://verticalrunnerrm.com/race-monitor.html

bhearn

Working now!

bhearn

Snope is out.

bhearn

Riopel and Finger seem to be too far behind now to hit the 140-mile qualifying standard. I know Finger was shooting for 160+, feeling good... I wonder what happened. Well, there is crappy weather.

bhearn

At this point people are slowing down, and it looks to me that only Lewis, Leblond, and Janzen have decent chances of over 150, though Stanciu and Wasternack have outside shots. I can maybe start to breathe a little easy... Lewis and Leblond are already ahead of me on the qualifier list. (Though I was hoping to maybe catch Leblond, at 153, and he is looking really strong today, maybe high 150s.)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

No portapotties? Those motion-activated PPs were the best! Where are the 200 people going to pee?

Have a great race, Buzzie!

They were hidden in a trailer. A lighted restroom trailer - separated into men's and women's rooms complete with multiple stalls (with doors!) and a single dispenser of hand sanitizer. Sounds posh! (meh) Had to climb and descend 3 steps to get in and out. Ultra-runner problems...

Meanwhile, the "indoor" restrooms did get unlocked. These were the only facilities near the start/finish and tent city; no portables this year. Given the site layout, beach sand, standing water and unfortunate decision to place a food tent on the only walkway to these restrooms, they were virtually inaccessible to runners and somewhat inconvenient for crew.

As you would imagine in a community of runners, this situation was a popular topic throughout the race.

Speaking of which, my race was about as exciting and satisfying as the sanitation situation.

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

bhearn

That should have been you best case result = Automatic spot goes to  someone that was already ahead of you?

Leaves you spot unchanged at 4th on the list.

With the 2 strong events (Desert Solstice & ATY) and a few more less strong left in the qualifying window.

I noticed Kevin Grabowski in the results 127.91 - He has done well in 50/100 in our local area and a past super fast person (5 minute mile 1/2 marathoner).  It will be interesting to see what he thought about a timed event.

I have been watching results and pulling for you to make the team !

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

Thanks DB. Yes, amazingly, I've managed to dodge yet another bullet. I was sure this race would shake things up.

Wow, what an exciting, though painful, race to watch. The tracking wasn't up for the first few hours, was never great, and cut out during the final hour, so we didn't know final results until the end of the day yesterday. Here they are.

http://verticalrunnerrm.com/assets/0b5061692fde690d7713777fb385765c.pdf

Sorry to hear about the crappy portapotty situation. Combined with the crappy weather, and timing glitches, that must have made the whole experience quite challenging for the runners. I'm glad I didn't pin my hopes on this race, and try to put up a big number there (which I couldn't anyway, because Spartathlon is in two weeks). OTOH, there is serious prize money. Adrian Stanciu ran just under 145, not quite catching Joe Fejes for the #5 team spot, but earned $800 for second at the National Championships. And a ton of awesome hardware.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thanks DB. Yes, amazingly, I've managed to dodge yet another bullet. I was sure this race would shake things up.

Wow, what an exciting, though painful, race to watch. The tracking wasn't up for the first few hours, was never great, and cut out during the final hour, so we didn't know final results until the end of the day yesterday. Here they are.

http://verticalrunnerrm.com/assets/0b5061692fde690d7713777fb385765c.pdf

Sorry to hear about the crappy portapotty situation. Combined with the crappy weather, and timing glitches, that must have made the whole experience quite challenging for the runners. I'm glad I didn't pin my hopes on this race, and try to put up a big number there (which I couldn't anyway, because Spartathlon is in two weeks). OTOH, there is serious prize money. Adrian Stanciu ran just under 145, not quite catching Joe Fejes for the #5 team spot, but earned $800 for second at the National Championships. And a ton of awesome hardware.

You might appreciate that the buckle is the same size as Burning River.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Kalsarikännit

Am I insane, or is weather and conditions a serious factor there every year?  I never feel like I see this race without a freak blizzard or typhoon being mentioned.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Am I insane, or is weather and conditions a serious factor there every year?  I never feel like I see this race without a freak blizzard or typhoon being mentioned.

It's Cleveland and right on Lake Erie. It's also September so the range of weather can potentially vary from sleet and hail to sun and 90F. I'm a little surprised by how much the weather bothered a lot of runners because it was a non-factor for me. The port-a-potty situation and the array and sequence of food available at the aid station were the main issues for me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

You might appreciate that the buckle is the same size as Burning River.

Ha. Well, I was looking more at these.

DoppleBock

I am 0 for 2 at doing well or liking the race, but I need to toughen up buttercup.  I think it is less about the race or conditions and more about my mental toughness when I participated.

DoppleBock

Food is an interesting comment as I have never done a 24 hour race where I planned on relying on any food from the race.  I have taking small bit of coke or bits of stuff ... But I always wanted to be in complete control of what I had available.

It's Cleveland and right on Lake Erie. It's also September so the range of weather can potentially vary from sleet and hail to sun and 90F. I'm a little surprised by how much the weather bothered a lot of runners because it was a non-factor for me. The port-a-potty situation and the array and sequence of food available at the aid station were the main issues for me.