Ultra Runners

Superior 100 (Read 88 times)

Gator eye

Looking over the elevation chart for Superior and starting to get very intimidated. I signed up during a post race high and probably didn't put enough thought into this one. Anyway, the race fee is paid and hotel is reserved so I'm trying to come up with a game plan for drop bags and clothing ect. and was wondering if anyone had any post race notes they would be willing to share or race reports that could be helpful in preparing for this course?

DoppleBock

I wish I knew more, but from all my conversations with exprienced people - This is a hiking race and not a running race.  The 1st couple of sections you could run, but you will pay for it dearly later on.  Just remember that very few people have broken 24 hours.

Luckily you have a resonable good weather year.  I experienced the course once between 42 and 102 - 60 miles pacing a really slow runner / but a beast of a hiker.

My only advice - Spend an extra hour than you have to on the 1st 2 sections = putting yourself in a good position to still be picking up your feet on the more gnarly sections you will be running at night.

Have fun and enjoy - the 60 miles pacing at Superior is one of the top 3 most enyoyable experiences I have every had in running / racing.  So beautiful, just keep your eyes on the flags.

Please post back about your amazing experience after the race is done.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I ran it last year and am signed up again this year.  I agree with DB, <24 is pretty tough.  It's a point to point course on very rugged terrain, constant hills and can get pretty cold at night.  Last year it started around 50 degrees, got up to 65 but then dropped to 40 overnight.  That and the mud in the last 50 of the race were bad.  Prepare for the worst and hope it doesn't happen.  But the aid stations are incredible.  Bacon at mile 7X, volunteers are amazing.  Views are nothing like you will see again, unless you pass temperance in the dark.

Gator eye

Sound like I better work on my hiking pace, for the most part I'm a slow walker and was hoping for some runable section to make up for my slow walking pace.

The up hills don't scare me near as much as the down. I can hop on the TM for a good up hill work out but still haven't figured out how to train for that much down.

Hill repeats will train you for the downs.  Do lots of them.  Preferably a ski hill or sled hill at minimum.  Being able to run the downhills will make a huge time difference.

DoppleBock

I do not have good downhill training - I do have a 150-200 foot hill 25 miles away or else it is really flat.  If you have a 5+ story building in the area, snek into a stair well not used often and grind up and down the stairs for hours.

Sound like I better work on my hiking pace, for the most part I'm a slow walker and was hoping for some runable section to make up for my slow walking pace.

The up hills don't scare me near as much as the down. I can hop on the TM for a good up hill work out but still haven't figured out how to train for that much down.

DoppleBock

Flatfooter is very fast and very strong.

There are runnable sections at Superior - The 1st 20 are runable, but the biggest mistake people make is running them too fast.

The very fast people I have talked to would say move efficiently, not fast accross the runable sections early on.  For me this would be slowing down maybe 1 MPH from what I think I could do and then take some nice walk breaks.  Temps can be 80+ and can 30, adjust effort accordingly.

Again there are a number of beautiful runable sections - But I would not be in the "Run" midset as much as the shuffle fast and efficient = Cover distance with a speed that gives a gives good speed, but minimal effort.  An example of this was when I was in 6:15-:25 marathon shape ... 8:30 pace was a pace I could do on a road ultra for the 1st 50 miles that felt about as hard as sitting on the couch drinking beer.  as soon as I drop down to 8:00 or even 8:15 I could feel that the amount of effort was more than the amount fo speed I gained.  Keep this mindset the 1st 50 miles on "Runable" sectoion.

Where Flatfooter is a beast and gains a lot running down hills.  If you are not able to train on running downhills - This is your weakness.  You should play to your strenghs and minimize you weaknesses ==== Take it super easy on the down hills - If they are super steep, walk them if they are moderately steep run them easy ... but you do not want to trash you quads, becasue your strength will be uphills and gliding efficiently over runable sections.  I think you can get away with being aggressive and trashing your quads in a 50 mile race, but not at Superior.

I am jealous, I had wanted to run Superior in 2015 or 2016, but some medical issues will not allow me to run for the next 9-12 months and maybe not again ever.  Although I do believe a really strong hiker might be able to hit the cutoffs ... maybe 2016?

Gator eye

Thanks, lots of good stuff to think about here

jjameson

I'm only doing the 50.  (4th time!)  Superior is my favorite Midwest 50.

The 100 is a beast.

Good luck.

Find the most technical trail you can find. Rocks and roots, the more the better. Practice on it and forget about pace.

When you get to a section on Superior that feels like the running pace is going well; get ready because it's gonna get nasty and tough real soon.

Seriously, one of the best trail events in the country.

Enjoy!

Gator eye

I'm glad you all could put my fears to rest. Lol

I would not over think this. 38 hours is a lot of time.  Maintain a steady pace and you will finish.  One thing I took away from the race besides the fact that the second 50 of this race feels more like 75 miles is the first 20 is not as easy as everyone says.  Maybe the first 3-5 are easy but by mile 10 don't panic if you already hit some steep inclines and technical stuff.  Last year after 10 miles I was freaking out because I was already hitting some tough spots although I was told the first 20 was really easy.

There are harder parts of the course and also easier but for some reason everyone remembers legs feeling good the first 20 miles not the actual terrain.  Be patient and enjoy the views.  The first 15 is pretty amazing to look at.  The last 10 is very runnable.  In between is a lot of fun and suffering.

Gator eye

Was planning on 3 drop bags one at 25, 50, and 75. Where did you leave yours?

Also, can you give me more on the mud? How far? Bad enough to need a shoe change after?

Last year I had drop bags at 25, 51, 72, and 90.  90 may seem like overkill, but this race is 103 miles not 100 and that last 13 miles can seem to stretch on forever.  I ended up only using 51 and 72 but thinking back I would not have altered my plan.  So I would shoot for overkill just in case.  A lot may depend on the weather, if it is supposed to rain or have cool weather you may want more than 4.  Like the race bulletin says, weather can be unpredictable.  Last year it dropped 25 degrees in 6 hours overnight going from 65 to 40.  After 51 miles (Around 6 PM) I ran with a lightweight vest (the Ultimate Direction AK) with an extra shirt, hat and gloves stuffed in the back instead of hydration.

Regarding the mud, there really is no good solution.  I did change socks at Sugarloaf (mile 71) but within 5 miles they were soaked with muck again.  I am okay with a lot of foot discomfort so YMMV.  I saw people changing shoes at Silver Bay (mile 25) and I personally thought the mud was not terrible through the first 25...

DoppleBock

Hello to the beast from Sleepy Eye

Find the most technical trail you can find. Rocks and roots, the more the better. Practice on it and forget about pace.

When you get to a section on Superior that feels like the running pace is going well; get ready because it's gonna get nasty and tough real soon.

Seriously, one of the best trail events in the country.

Enjoy!