Ultra Runners

Welcome New Members! (Read 1875 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hi there, newbie here. Been running since 2010, loads of halves, 15ks, 10ks and 5ks, 3 marathons, then used 2018 to focus more on weight lifting than running... I feel ready to start training to tackle a 50 mile. I've got my eyes on the 2020 Land Between the Lakes 50 🙂

Hi, FS!  Does B&B know you're over here? Wait until I tell LRB and Damaris.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Welcome Freesoul! join us in the 2019 ultra training group!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hi, FS!  Does B&B know you're over here? Wait until I tell LRB and Damaris.

Lol! Damaris would probably understand, LRB would think I'm crazy. By the way, do you know what LRB's instagram might be? He won't tell me dang it!

Hi fnkyhd! Can I? I mean I won't be attempting an ultra this year, figured I didn't belong there yet lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Lol! Damaris would probably understand, LRB would think I'm crazy. By the way, do you know what LRB's instagram might be? He won't tell me dang it!

Hi fnkyhd! Can I? I mean I won't be attempting an ultra this year, figured I didn't belong there yet lol.

Sorry, I'm not on Instagram so I wouldn't know.

The monthly Ultra Training Thread is our equivalent of a daily, so that's where most of the comments and interaction take place.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sorry, I'm not on Instagram so I wouldn't know.

The monthly Ultra Training Thread is our equivalent of a daily, so that's where most of the comments and interaction take place.

Ohhhh, I did find it and I will continue to follow it. Can't say I feel like my workouts deserve to be a part of it right now though lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Crap, I won the Way Too Cool 50k lottery so it looks like I am doing this. My first ultra. My only goal is to finish and not get injured.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Crap, I won the Way Too Cool 50k lottery so it looks like I am doing this. My first ultra. My only goal is to finish and not get injured.

Great!  That's a nice incentive to train over the winter.  Join us in the monthly threads.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Great!  That's a nice incentive to train over the winter.  Join us in the monthly threads.

Will do! Especially since I have no idea what I am doing in regards to ultras.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Hi!  And welcome!  I have not done WTC but have run lots of other things on those trails. Be ready for mud in March!

As for what to do?  Just keep moving forward. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think I introduced myself a while back and then disappeared.

I'm hoping to train, attempt and complete the Stump Jump 50k this October.

Looking at the elevation gain of 6,500 ft... I've got a lot of work to do 😳

Thankfully I've got some hilly trails within a 20 minute drive from home. Ran 7 miles on them this morning, I'm hoping these will be challenging enough to help prepare me for the 50k 🙂

PRs

jeffdonahue

Hi everyone.  New to the group and new to considering an Ultra.  But my wife has a friend from work who lives in Illinois and her husband found out I'm a runner and invited me to run a 50K with him in either mid-Sept or early-Oct.  And I do love a challenge.

A bit about me and my running.  I've been running for about 17 years now - started with triathlons back in the day and just kept up with the running because I dislike biking (butt just cant handle long times in the saddle).  I've done a handful of marathons, though haven't run one in about 10 years.  I typically average about 35-40 miles a week depending on what I'm training for and where I am in that training.  Due to sciatic issues, there is almost no speedwork as that tends to flare it up.  I used to be moderately fast (but I guess that depends on your definition of fast - sub-19 5k once and my best run was probably a 1:08 and change 10 miler) before a soccer injury in 2012 which is when the sciatic issues started - can't seem to get rid of them but can hold them at bay most of the time with stretching.

I've really enjoyed running half marathons the last couple of years and was signed up for a HM race series in June (now potentially moved to September) that is 7 HM in 7 days in 7 states.  Though I have the option of just deferring that series to next year and would not try to do that and the 50K.

So I figured I'd find an Ultra group and check it out to see if I might want to give it a shot in the Fall.  Also trying to get a handle on what kind of training I might be looking at for a 50K.

Thanks for listening

Jeff

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Hi everyone.  New to the group and new to considering an Ultra.  But my wife has a friend from work who lives in Illinois and her husband found out I'm a runner and invited me to run a 50K with him in either mid-Sept or early-Oct.  And I do love a challenge.

A bit about me and my running.  I've been running for about 17 years now - started with triathlons back in the day and just kept up with the running because I dislike biking (butt just cant handle long times in the saddle).  I've done a handful of marathons, though haven't run one in about 10 years.  I typically average about 35-40 miles a week depending on what I'm training for and where I am in that training.  Due to sciatic issues, there is almost no speedwork as that tends to flare it up.  I used to be moderately fast (but I guess that depends on your definition of fast - sub-19 5k once and my best run was probably a 1:08 and change 10 miler) before a soccer injury in 2012 which is when the sciatic issues started - can't seem to get rid of them but can hold them at bay most of the time with stretching.

I've really enjoyed running half marathons the last couple of years and was signed up for a HM race series in June (now potentially moved to September) that is 7 HM in 7 days in 7 states.  Though I have the option of just deferring that series to next year and would not try to do that and the 50K.

So I figured I'd find an Ultra group and check it out to see if I might want to give it a shot in the Fall.  Also trying to get a handle on what kind of training I might be looking at for a 50K.

Thanks for listening

Jeff

Welcome Jeff! it's pretty quiet around here. i think everyone's on facebook (not me though). you can find a sparse but a-political discussion over in the monthly ultra training threads Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

dktrotter

Dorothea

testing... testing... is this thread still live?

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Hey dktrotter. Welcome to the group.  We do a monthly training thread where people post about training, races, questions and whatever. See below. Join us there!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dktrotter

Dorothea

I see. Thanks GB! 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.