Womens Running

Dark Side Weekend (dailies) (Read 21 times)

Kilmisters

Wooo! Any finish time will be a success Smile Start time: 6am ET

Good luck to other racers!!

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

8.1 for me!

Ugh that was a slog. 70 degrees with 67 dewpoint - pretty awful. But, its done. That ends me at 50+ for the week. I get to cut back into the 30's next week! I am pretty excited about that (I say that now)...

I will have to catch up with everyone later. We have to leave to go up north in about 45 minutes. Hair apt and lunch with my parents! I hope I dont blind people with my white legs in shorts 

Happy Saturday and good luck racers!!! WOOHOO

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I saw you did awesome, Elina!! Congrats!

Liz, nice run.  Our dewpoints are above 75 today so even my husband said FTS to run outside.

Morning.  I have 5 miles.  Thought of going to OTF this morning but we have a show tonight so I won't have time to run tonight so OTF is going to be sacrificed.  Good because I'm still sore from OTF Thursday, ha.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

I'm finally feeling back to normal (yes, I was hydrating like crazy, which I think helped it from getting any worse). But last night, or should I say early this morning (like 2 am), Riley started dry heaving. Again at 4. And at 5. He was coughing/hacking a little yesterday. We finally got up at 6 since I really hadn't slept much anyway. Took him to the vet when they opened at 8 and they fit him.in. Nothing major, they think either kennel cough or just something that irritated his throat. DH had been googling and was sure he was dying. Antibiotics and painkillers and now he's sleeping away. I am tired, but can't go back to sleep after the 6 am coffee. Napping on the agenda for later.

Since it was raining I didn't feel too bad about blowing off the group run. It's nicer now, but getting late for a long run, so I'll just run a few easy this morning and save the 15 for tomorrow morning.

Kathryn, I'm really sorry about the job. Even if you think it might be coming, it's still a shock.

Elina, great job on the trail race!!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ginnyb

Oh Kat sorry about your job.  Even if you half expected this, it is still unnerving.  Hope you have a relaxing weekend with lots of wine!

Lisa, hard to believe Kaite is through her freshman year already.  That went fast.  How exciting for the trip to Europe.

Liz...you and I need to switch habitats!

Diana...hope your walk/run is going well.

Karen...sorry you haven't been feeling so good, but sounds like you are better.  Glad it was nothing serious with Riley, tell your DH to stay off the internet!!!!

Elina...I saw you did great !

Sandy....uh-oh, you moved your parka????  I hope that isn't like washing your car and then it rains or buying a snowblower and then it never snows, you get my drift.  We will never forget you here, sorry being stood up by your friend.

GD's softball season is just about over.  They did ok, not great, but not awful.  Still fun watching her play, she's a great catcher, but I am just a little biased.  Now she will do travel basketball and summer softball league.

So saw the chiro yesterday and I just don't know.  I saw the x-rays and my spine curves and my hips are uneven and my neck is compressed, LOL, I'm a mess, but doesn't everyone have some of this?  This is over decades , she said I could have been born with my spine this way.  I don't know, she just seemed so rushed and I felt like I was listening to a recording, do you know what I mean?  Also said no running or working out and I can't do that!  I will just turn into a fat slug, believe me I have been there, but my back hurts!  Running actually does not bother me and I half walk anyway.  As far as working out, I think I know what to do or not do.  I don't know what to do.  I am going to go for adjustments for a while and see if there is any improvement, but if I don't follow her instructions will they even help?  Has anyone else gone to a chiropractor?  I just don't have the experience working with one.   Just confused.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Kilmisters

Race report!

So, it went better than expected! Everything was done perfectly from the organizational side. I put my bags in the storage spot, while DH and K went for a walk. At first they were hanging around the start/finish zone, but K drew so much attention (''aaaawwwww!!'') from random people... DH just said ''I can't take this anymore, I am going to more remote trails'' Big grin Met w former colleague (ran the same distance) before start, so lots of gossip in those 40mins or so and positive vibes before the start. It felt surprisingly well from the get go. The first (and biggest) hill came at around 5k mark and my legs were dead from just walking up that monster. Either way, the course was amazingly fun, it ''threw'' you up and down, right and left all the time till around 11k mark. Then there was a grueling no-shadow wide open field. The heat! 11-13k was the first extremely challenging segment for me. No shadows. Rolling hills. It made it tough to even simply bring the heart rate down, which didn't happen for quite a while. Then when I had gone back to normal rhythm... The second segment of death: 15-19km. ENDLESS ups and downs. I had to constantly tell myself ''dont stop, dont walk, it will be tougher if you do so, dont walk''. Everything above knee level was hurting, including my back. At 19km mark (where it said -2k till finish-!'') got some second breath as I knew exactly where I was (hometown trails!) and that there is very little left till finish. The last km was tough once again as it seemed endless. But the kids that were standing at the side and high-fiving people cheered me up. At that point I already knew I'd make it faster than 2:30, so had kind of a Rocky mood - YEAH! The finish time was 2:23 and I am extremely proud of that time. Also, huge thanks to DH; I had fully trusted him w my mp3 playlist, so he was kind of my race DJ, and, boy, had he found a perfect mix of rock and dance pump-up songs! Like, you are dying out there, but THAT SONG! Big grin First thing I did after picking up bags (it was funny, there was a corgi dog sitting in the middle of that bag room, so everyone was joking that he is the main guard), taking pics and calling hb... GOT MY BEER. I said ''oh god'' or ''oh f---'' at least 100 times while I was standing in the line. Because... My quads... Burning! Got my beer, found a table, found out from FB messenger that Latvia had won their first World Hockey Championship game (vs Norway) - life is great Big grin

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

LC Runs

Hey there!!

5 miles for me...I waited until 10 am and I was overdressed; yes, it was warm LOL!!  I am really not complaining, I loved it.  DS has Senior Prom today, so I will be at the park for pictures.  Then, I am going to a wedding shower this evening for my co-worker.  It's a couples shower so my other co worker and I are going as a couple LOL.

Elina - AWESOME job, Girl!!

Lizzie - enjoy the hair appointment and lunch!

Damaris - have a good 5!

Karen - glad you are feeling better!

Ginny - My BF is going through the same thing with a chiro. He has on and off back pain (and hip pain) and he works as a mechanic so he is always bending over and lifting, etc.  Anyway, the chiro took X rays and said he was 'a mess'.  He is spending $720 out of pocket for all of these appointments (3x week then 2x week then 1x week or something). Anyhow, he's had about 6 appointments and the past 2 days he has been in worse pain.  So, I don't know how much it works. I went years ago, maybe every other week because my neck and shoulder always give me issues.  It helped but only for a little while.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a few appointments and see how it goes.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ginny, get a second opinion.  I used to go to a chiropractor but Pilates helps my back more than adjustments.  I just don't know if the no running is something he says because he is not a runner or what, but it does not sound like running would curve your back more.

Elina, congrats!

Damaris

Kilmisters

Margaret, if I recall correctly, you are (sort of) cheering for San Jose Sharks. Well. This LV dude is drafted by them 

https://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/must-see-balcers-ot-dangles-win-it-for-latvia~1387559

All over the hockey media tonight.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Hi Ladies!

Hair apt and lunch were fun! Slowly getting back to super blonde Smile Since I went dark, it takes forever to go back all the way blonde. I think I should be back to where I was last summer by the next apt. SO EXPENSIVE!!! Catching up with my parents was fun - my dad is having some medical issues. I think I may have said that a couple weeks ago - but he sent away some tests before they left for Europe..and the results weren't good. He has to go in for more tests. Of course he didnt offer up this information because he doesnt want me to worry...daughters need to know these things, too! Anytime they offer to get together, I am saying yes. Life is so short and he is older than most so I know my time is limited. Sad to even think that way..but true. He needs to stick around at least until I walk down that aisle!

Once we got back into town, HCBF dragged me to the Harley store. Oh boy. He has a bike but has wanted a Harley all of his life. He needs to just get one but that man cannot make a decision!

Lounging and catching up on shows tonight! I need to clean, but I am so run down. That 8 in the humidity this morning killed me. So exhausted and tired..took a nap but didnt help much. I guess that will be my cross training for tomorrow Smile

Run4kupcakes - Do you and your DH have the same Apple ID ? That might be why the calendars are coinciding.

Docket - I have been thinking about the runs I will be doing in FTL…and how SHORT they will be hahah. A show?! Have fun!

Karen - When I started with your personal, I put the name as Riley. He has been on my mind!! Glad that he is okay and that it isn’t anything serious. Did they take bloodwork just in case? Glad you are feeling better too. Maybe just run down?

Ginny - Which sport does GD favor? Basketball, right? Wasn’t this the first year she did softball? As for the chiropractor - I have never been to one. My dad has a medical background and he doesn’t speak to fondly of them. But I think if I was in enough pain, I would try it. I think you know your body the best. Just don’t go all hardcore on your workouts. Take it day by day and see how it goes. When I was having foot problems 4 years ago, the Ortho told me that my feet are just not “built” to run distance. We see how well his advice worked….I second Damaris in getting a second opinion.

Laura - Nice miles this morning! We must be having prom around  here too. When I was getting my hair done their were a bunch of “kids” in there getting updos! Cute. Hope the wedding shower is fun - not really sure how funs those can be. When my SIL had her bridal shower - it was probably the best I have ever been too. LOTS OF BOOZE..and LOTS OF FOOD. No games. Awesome.

Kilmisters - Wow!! Congratulations on your first (this is your first, right?) TRAIL RACE!!! That is an awesome time! Sounds super challenging. And the heat did not help! Beer will help cool you down Smile And congrats to Latvia on their win, too! What a great day for you!! Maybe I need to borrow DH’s DJ skills haha.

Diane - Hope today went well!

Diana  - Cant wait to hear about your race!

Sandy - Have a great race tomorrow!

Okay I am outta here. Going to make TACOS for dinner since it is Cinco de Mayo!!! Smile

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

dhuffman63

Trails

Well I’m racking up DNFs now ...made it to 26 miles but heat... hills and a head wind = fail for me ... think I had mild heat exhaustion but will go over it in my RR...RD said he’ll give me a discount for next year but I’m thinking 50k may not be for me.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Elina, HUGE congrats!  I am so glad you enjoyed the race and did so well.  Nice DH!

Lizzie, good job at getting the run in.  Glad you like your hair and are getting it back to your summer blonde.  I know what you mean about our parents.  Mom is turning 80 in October.

Damaris, what show??

Karen, glad Riley is OK.  Dr. Google can be scary.  You have rain in Houston, damn, it is 80's and sunny here.

Ginny, I personally have zero experience with a chiropractor.  My ex, also a runner, swore by his chiro, and also pilates.  And I second the others, get a second opinion, especially if you felt rushed.  And get one by a sports med person.

Laura, hope DS has a lovely prom.  Enjoy the shower tonight.

Diane, don't be hard on yourself, you will do one.  You are too determined not too.  Take your time and you will get there.  Smile

I will be honest, with all going on yesterday, I didn't read personals really.  I am surprisingly fine with it all.  Obviously I need to figure shit out, but something will work out.

Had a trail half today.  Obviously I was very under trained for it, but it wasn't too bad.  Wasn't an easy race, but I am used to the distance so it wasn't a slog fest.  Foggy at the start, and warm (80's) and sunny at the end.  Lots of rocks, and strangely enough, cows.  None last year.  Must have seen 10-15 today right on the course, no fence.  A few stream crossings (I managed to stay dry.)  And a few more rocks.  (It is called Pandora's Box of Rox, go figure...)  Took me forever.  I was lallygagging for a while taking pictures until the couple in front of me slowed down and then I shot past them.  Sat around with friends after - one woman got 2nd masters for the half, and one woman won first female in the marathon.  I have speedy friends.  Here are a few pics, just cause.

Out back enjoying a rather yummy cider.

Have a good one all.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Half Crazy K 2.0

3 miles. They sucked less than anything this week, so figure that's a good sign. Went up to get special Cinco de Mayo cupcakes this morning.

Ginny, I went to a chiro once, didn't go back. To be fair, not one medical professional I saw in that period had a clue. Basically I was having all sorts of mid back tightness & spasms as well as neck pain. All back & neck related images were fine. After much time & money, I noticed my shoulder was constantly popping, turns out it was rotator cuff impingement. The chiro (and a unrelated PT) really latched on to scoliosis, as the "cause", which was BS. It's tough finding medical professionals who will actually listen.

Lizzie, we have Android phones. Somehow it must scan the e-mails to then attach it to the calendar. It's creepy.

Kilmisters, nice race! Course sounds tough.

AnonymousGuest, poor Riley & you. I swear dogs only get sick in the middle of the night.

DHuffman, heat & hills are a really tough combo. It sounds like a smart decision, heat illnesses are nothing to mess with.

Relay this morning. I found a partner when I got there, a woman about my age. I ran the first lap, 4 miles--it was SO hot and steamy!!  I tagged the other woman and got a beer and sat down for a bit. I finally ran out and walked back with her. 5.6 miles total.

Ran some errands on the way home and bought a flat of strawberries. Today turned out to be jelly making hell. The first batch didn't set bc I added the sugar instead of the pectin. Then the dogs knocked over the cooling rack and jam crashed to the floor.  Four jars broke---it was such a sticky mess.  I need to mop again. DS2 helped me clean up, but it is still sticky.  

So I went to the store for more pectin, recooked the first batch, put the dented lid jellies in fresh jars with new lids, washed a mountain of sticky dishes and I am DONE!

Diane--sorry about the DNF. 26 miles is awesome in my books.

Elina, congrats.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well I’m racking up DNFs now ...made it to 26 miles but heat... hills and a head wind = fail for me ... think I had mild heat exhaustion but will go over it in my RR...RD said he’ll give me a discount for next year but I’m thinking 50k may not be for me.

That would have been a fail for me as well.  Don't kick yourself for it.  A DNF is good when it's necessary and sounds like it was.

Damaris