Womens Running

Happy News Monday (Over 40) (Read 20 times)

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Big grinBig grin Special Happy Note: Mei Xiang the DC Giant Panda had a baby. It's in good shape so far. Atlanta Giant Panda, Lun Lun recently had twins. We now have three new Giant Panda babies in the US.  They are an endangered species.

Post as you see fit. Smile

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Friday I did 55 minutes of cardio DVD.

Saturday was SDO

Sunday was a glorious run. Sunday Buddy was still not there at dawn so I drove down to the park and struck off alone. At the end of 1+ hour I was feeling so good that I kept going. Total was 2 hours. I got a chance to investigate many plants in the park and along the trail. My muscles felt *used* in the good sense. If I had had GU with me I would have stayed out longer. Added sustenance keeps the leg hurts away for me.

Safety Note: When I go out to meet Sunday Buddy it is in sometimes in the dark. I go to a small park to wait for him. In order to be safer when I am alone then, a friend suggested this to me: he said to keep the car doors locked, keep the car engine running and park the car so that I could escape easily by driving either forward or backing away. I never thought of that, and I tested it. Makes a lot of sense!

Happy runs, All!  :::HUGS:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Morning Judy. Great idea on the parking.

Sue for the heat, IDK, I'm just used to it. I know when I'm overheating and need to stop and I'm just as stubborn as i can be. I try to avoid a lot of pounding sun light with high dew points. But usually can't as our dew ponts are in the mid to upper 70s most days. I guess I've just gotten used to it?

Marjorie

Howdy!  IDK why, but group power was hard today.  I did go up on my weights and I was shaking by the end.  Guess I got my money's worth!

Judy--great job on the two hour run yesterday!

Marjorie--You would think I would be used to the heat by now!

Happy Monday everyone!

LC Runs

Happy Monday, Ladies Smile

I have today off, as well.  The one good thing about my current job is we get a lot of PTO and it's fairly easy to get days off (of course, you end up more behind in your work, which leads to other problems lol).

Anyhow, enjoying my 'free' day.  I just got back from a 4.75 mile run, man is it humid!  Coloring my hair now and planning on a day of cleaning and other errands.  Not too exciting but must be done.

I had a great race on Saturday - 1:25:23 (10 miles), I was able to hold a 8:30 pace throughout, even mile 5 which is known for it's hills.  Lucked out with the weather, low humidity, unlike today.  My PR is 1:24Tight lippedx from 2011, but I am thrilled with this year's result.  Yesterday was an easy 5 mile run.  I am racing a 15k trail race on Labor Day, going camping and visiting with my mom and step dad, as well.  So, something to look forward to.

I just got an email from the recruiter, which surprised me.  She apologized for this taking so long and is under the impression I'm still in the running for the job.  I do know they are moving in to a new office so that is putting things behind.  I also applied for another case management position last week, haven't heard from them yet.  My patience is running out, so frustrating.  It's hard to work and then fit in interviews, etc...

Judy - I saw that about the baby Panda this morning, they sure are funny looking newborns lol

Hi Marjorie and Sue!!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

11.5 miles. Another good run.

Sue, some people never get used to the heat.

Laura good you are still in the running for the job. Great race time!

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Back at work and back at home! I only have 35 something miles logged for last week, including a nice 8 miler in SD and a 7 miler yesterday morning. And I started the week by oversleeping and missing a morning run.

DH is still in the skilled nursing facility and we're not sure what's going to happen. When he was admitted we were told that they were aiming to have him ready to go home this Friday, the 30th. However, he had a setback -- blood sugar went into the 30s and he was unresponsive so they called 911 and he was hospitalized for several days -- and I'm not sure he'll be ready to go home. He keeps saying he wants to and that he's not sick, but considering he can't even raise his bottom to have the sheet unwrinkled from under him I am not confident that he has regained enough strength to go home. They also have him on thickened liquids because he coughs and chokes when he drinks regular water. He loathes the thickened water.

So, life in limbo continues. I'm back at work this morning. DD starts classes today. DS is trying to crash a couple of courses for which he's on the wait list.

Judy, good suggestions, though I'm not sure about leaving the car running. Idling the car is bad for the engine and for the environment -- and for your gas bill! But leaving the car in a position so that you could leave the scene quickly is a good idea for every situation.

Laura, sorry you are still waiting to hear about the other jobs. And yes, baby pandas do look funny. I hope this one survives.

They don't look as ugly as baby condors, though. Even a mama condor could not love that at first sight. It did not help that with the photo the zoo solicited suggestions of names for the new baby condor and someone fired back "Naming this new California resident is easy. Happy birthday, little Condor Minium."

Marjorie, you may get used to the heat, but does it get easier to run in it? i found the SD humidity was awful and I assume SC humidity is even worse.

Susan, glad you made group power class.

Hi to everyone to follow!

runlikeagirl18

Good morning ladies-

First day of school for my boys, so I got them there, went and had coffee with a few friends, and then went out for a 4.1 mile run. I was lucky - it wasn't very humid, so delaying my run didn't cost me too much. I am very much paying the price for my spotty summer running, though.

Judy - good safety suggestions.

Laura - nice job on the race! Fingers crossed for you on the job situation.

Crazysue - I find the older I get, the harder it is for me to deal with the heat and humidity. I ran a 5K here in NC on 8/3, and another in NY on 8/17, and I ran the one in NY 2:30 faster. I'm convinced it's due to the cooler temp and lower humidity.

Marjorie - I hope your stomach is cooperating better today.

Tessa - welcome home! I'm sorry the situation with your DH is still so tenuous. I'm thinking of you.

Off to shower and have lunch....by myself! That's one of the hardest things for me to get used to when the boys go back to school. But I made some yummy guacamole that I'm going to put in a pita. Have a great day everyone-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

camille2

Here's an article about older women and heat. I remembered it because I find heat and esp. humidity so hard.  It's a small study though.

http://www.runnersworld.com/womens-running/are-older-women-runners-at-a-disadvantage-in-the-heat?page=single

Sue and Marjorie, you are super women because you still get out and run in it!

Tessa, my thoughts are still with you and family.

Laura, good luck on the job. It sounds like you are a strong contender since the HR person called you. Nice race, too!

Karen, woo-hoo on 70 miles!

Judy, good tip on the parking.

Cindy, I hope the boys have a great day of school!  You'll get your fitness back soon-fall's around the corner.

SRD for me. Did a trail bike and hike on Sat.  There were gorgeous views, but few blueberries.  : )

LC Runs

Tessa - sorry the stress with your DH continues, sounds like coming home is not a good option at this point.  Hang in there!

Cindy - my kids don't start back until next Tuesday.  Haven't even taken them school shopping yet, I'm hoping their Dad gets a start on that  lol.  Sounds like you had a nice morning!

Marjorie - great 11.5!

Camille - hi there!  Sounds like a nice weekend for you.

Got my bedroom/bath/closet cleaned and organized.  I even put some pictures on the wall that have been sitting there for years lol.  Now, on to the kitchen.

This is interesting, I got a phone call this morning for another interview (the other case manager job I mentioned), that's Thursday, scheduled it for lunchtime so I'm crossing fingers that I don't find I have some mandatory meeting at work or something.  This will be quite ironic if I end up with 2 offers....hmmmm

Fusion class tonight, was only able to go once last week since they cancelled two of the classes.  Looking forward to it Smile

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Very busy day**** still have things to do but haven't decided if I want to do them tonight or just do them tomorrow. I'm leaning to tomorrow.  I think I did enough work today

Dad is still blowing off his family. I called him today since it has been over a week.  He blew me off too and couldn't wait to get off the phone. If he has done what I think he has I will be po'd. Twins oldest turned 16 this past weekend. I'm hoping he actually sent something or called. Not so sure he did.....pair that with he is in FL this week and took his wife's daughter her daughter  and two of her other grand kids with him.

I'm just frustrated.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

Cindy, hope the boys' first day went well. You will get back into a routine that includes running regularly soon enough.

Laura, having two offers to choose from would be a very good thing.

Marjorie, I'm sorry for you. How frustrating of your dad. It sounds as if he's focusing on his wife's family at the expense of his own.

Camille, not sure if few berries is a good thing or not -- if there are lots of berries there will be bears there to eat them, but if there are no berries will there be frustrated hungry bears?

5.5 miles on the TM at lunch. Hot and humid but it's done. Now heading to the nursing home. DH called again to tell me to take him home. Guilt is miserable, especially when I'm not intending to take him home until he can do the basic activities of daily living.