Womens Running

Wends-day Dailies (Read 21 times)

As in:

Wend is related to the verb "wind," which means, among other things, "to follow a series of curves and turns." It is also a distant relative of the verb "wander." "Wend" itself began its journey in Old English as windan, meaning "to twist."

My favorite kind of running route! My name should be Wendy. 

Ready to wend my way through the day. First the gym for lower body and core strength workout. After work I have tutoring with my 28 yo student who is working up to being able to study for her GED. She was having a bit of a low moment last week since her younger sister was graduating from high school and getting ready for college. Will revisit those feelings and help her to maybe see them as pride in her sister and inspiration for herself. Never too late and 28 is hardly that far down the road. LOL

Tessa-nice job on the 5 in the heat. Hope your vote went well!

HCK2-rainy runs are often really nice... glad yours was!

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

I did it - I'm up! Of course I need coffee first because it's too damn early, but I"m up. It's already 78 degrees, feels like 84. The dew point is 77. That is just wrong.

Okay, coffee, wending my way through the neighborhood, then possibly nap. Back later.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Kilmisters

Sandy, cut watermelon makes more sense; then again, I still think carrying the whole thing would be a good workout Big grin Did you go to the store eventually? The guy (stressful one) you described sounds a lot like our marketing ladies. Thankfully we moved away to our own space further in the building. Not surprising for analytics, some cheerful moments aside, it's usually dead quiet and just keyboard (and occasional cursing) sounds. Sometimes lots of cursing.

Damaris, fingers crossed!

Lisa, haha! As you (100%) know, fartlek = speed game in Swedish Smile

Lizzie, don't be too hard on yourself. Go and let that frustration out in a run!

Can't believe it's only Wednesday. Slowly crossing things out of to do list (VERY slowly and lazily; in a more eventful week this would be impossible) while boss is gone. Feels like silence before storm. There are rumors in the office that I have an affair w a dude from development department; we share (stupid) sense of humor and willingness to go into details when it comes to store development projects (so lots of ''so nice to hear you'', calls, visits, and  etc.). Meh. I'm just laughing it off. Apparently some ppl still live in a century where this automatically means smth.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

8.1 for me.

Eh, not a good one this morning. Legs felt like cement and was feeling any and all aches and pains. I think its a combination of things...I am tired, my body is tired from body pump 2x this week, and it was more humid than I thought it would be. The weatherman said GORGEOUS humidity free morning...but he meant after the cold front came through. It came through when I was on mile 7. LOL. Anyway..I need some rest and a good foam roll. Hopefully Friday's run will be better.

I am getting mentally prepared for the beating I am going to get today over the audit yesterday. Emails started rolling through last night..I didn't even read them. Nothing I can do about it now except to work harder..but..still. It's not so much about how I look (well, it is kinda)...but I actually feel bad for MAMMEL. It makes him look bad. I don't want anyone looking bad because of me..no matter how much I hate them!

In other news..BACHORLETTE MARATHON WEEKEND! For those interested..I was looking up Caribbean Marathons..and a lot are in January. I know a few of us who already have things for January. Maybe we use Toledo, OH (Glass City) as "the" weekend? Thoughts?? Suggestions?! I would say plan something early Fall of next year..but I am not 100% sure on wedding timeline yet.

Is it the weekend yet?

Lisa – Whiskeys on the River? That sounds yummy Smile SO TRUE about number of races J Really cool that you are tutoring. Sounds like you are part therapist, too  Smile She is still so young!!

Run4kupcakes – I was expecting the rain last night but we didn’t get it until this morning. Nice miles!

Tessa – How is the office reconfig working out? Is everyone getting used to it? You reminded me when you said you were WFH.

Karen – Maybe its better that you don’t even look at the weather before you head out. LOL. I was thinking that this morning. Then you just dread it! I was thinking about you this morning. I was getting mad at myself for being SO SLOW. So I kept catching myself speeding up…had to keep myself in check. Hope your run was good!

Kilmisters – I thought the same thing this morning – can’t believe its only Wednesday. WTH about the rumor! Can I just say that there has been a rumor about me sleeping with basically every engineer here. LOL. If someone see’s a male and female talking or laughing together..they automatically think those two are sleeping together. Its annoying and frustrating!!! You are handling it the right way (and the way I did, too) LAUGH IT OFF!!! People just want something to talk about.

Isn't today National Running Day??

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have 9 with hill intervals tonight.  Maybe weights.  Swamped at work and boss is here this week so I'll get back later for more. LOL.

Lisa, enjoy the wending today.

Karen, go, go, go!  Well, don't go out there for too long. Wink

Elina, I can't believe it's just Wednesday either, but it's the week I get my Friday off, yipee. Hoping things at the office calm down.

Liz, nice run nonetheless. I have already done OH but I have heard great things about Glass City.  Just need to see if I can go and leave husband home.  LOL.

Damaris

Yes! Happy WENDS Day!  My family is of Wendish descent.  The Wends lived in Germany near the Czech border and came to the U.S. on the ship Ben Nevis in the 1840s. Landed in Galveston, and settled in central Texas.  Wink And...small world...our new minister's wife is also Wendish.

5 miles this morning.  Still stiff from group power class on Monday, but I survived. I thought it would be a little cooler this morning due to the storms yesterday, but not really.

Lizzie--don't beat yourself up. Just own it and learn for the future. Sorry you have to go through it. I've been there. It's not fun.

Damaris---good luck with the interview tomorrow!!!

Have a great Wends-Day!

Seloc

Tessa – whoa them were some hot miles.  Way to go!  How are the little kit kats doing?

HCK – nice rainy miles!  But ugh on the steam.

Lisa – Whiskey’s sounds VERY good!  And on the river, too.  Did you get to sit outside?  “Dine el fresco” as the fancy folk say?  LOL on leaving the TVs with the EX – I like how EX is in ALL CAPS – I read that as a disgusting EX haha  Hey, I never made the correlation between “wend” and “Wendy”.    Going to bring that up with my friend of that name.  Awww you sound like an aMAZing mentor for your girl!  She has LOTS to be proud of!

Damaris – woohoo on interview tomorrow!!  I take it is over phone/Skype?  Or do you get a quick trip to the hopefully cooler than Miami PNW?  Glad the new boss seems pretty cool, too!  Encouraging!

Lizzie – sorry about the audit but don’t beat yourself up.  Shit happens.  I LOVE that you know all the words to “Apple bottom jeans” and I’m totally cracking up to “drop my booty” hahahaha  Yeah, running will tighten those hips right up!  You might want to drop that booty once or twice a week to keep them flexible.  Ever since CrossFit I make a point of being able to get down and up from that super low squat position.  It hurts so good.  Yep, TWSS hee hee  Sorry your run wasn’t amazing but that happens.  Rest day for you tomorrow!  I think it’s cool when you can feel the cool front come through.  Of course, better if it was at mile 1 or 2 haha.  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS for Glass City Bachelorette Marathon weekend!!  I’m INNNNNNNNNNNNN

Karen – woohoo!  Getting out of bed is half the battle.  But, do not get sucked into the coffee and Interwebs!  Get out there, lady!  Yes, your weather is wrong in SO many ways.

Elina – nope, never made it to the store for watermelon.  Queen of laziness over here.  Isn’t it nice to not going 10 thousand miles an hour and multi tasking like mad while at work??  Ahhhh, it feels like a vacation haha.  OMG that is REDIC about the rumors.  If that’s the case, I’m having an affair with a handful of dudes in my office.  Eye.  Roll.

Sue – well leave it to a running forum to learn about the Wends!  Nice miles.

Kat – so Austin is now not looking so great.  The friend I am visiting was just diagnosed with colon cancer.  She is 53.  Surgery scheduled for the 19th and expected to be in the hospital 3-10 days.  Super pissed at her (not at all regarding my trip) for letting this go so long.  Who bleeds out of their ass for MONTHS and not think anything is wrong??  She says she thought it was hemorrhoids.  Um, hemorrhoids don’t DRIP blood, do they?  She only went in because she thought she was having heart problems.  Yeah because her hemoglobin was so low from bleeding all the time they put her in the hospital on a blood transfusion.  For someone with a PhD in Psych I can’t believe how dense she is.  Okay, rant over.

Yep, it’s Global Running Day!  So, happy day to all my Internet pals.  Stormy here this morning.  Only made it 2 miles before the lightening made us beat cheeks back.  Soaked.  If I was RETIRED I could have just waited it out for an hour until it passed.  Oh well.  Sure, I could try to get some more in after work but we all know the chances of THAT happening haha  Happy Wending!!

dhuffman63

Trails

Hi everyone.  I have 6 tonight.  It was a nice 67 this morning too bad I'm not a morning runner.  Of course the idiot down the road reminded me why not as he blew past the driveway raising a huge cloud of dust.  I try to limit my time on our roads to Sunday morning early cause no one is up.  I tried an afternoon and again idiot truck and huge cloud of dust.  And it's  not like they can't see me cause I'm wearing bright yellow.

We have a team luncheon today and other than free food I'm not looking forward to it.  Maybe we'll get to leave early.

Lisa so nice of you to tutor her not on just book learning but on positivity also.  You are a great role model.

Yay Karen for getting up early.

Kat did you and Lizzie see Kate Spade died?  I thought of you too and your purses.  So sad she committed suicide.

Elina too funny about your affair.  Some people have way too much time.

Lizzie, Sue has excellent advice.  No one is perfect...admit the mistake, learn from it and move on....easy to say when it's not me.  Look at it as a bad run or race that didn't go your way....you learn and adapt.  I've accepted my DNF's as learning experiences.  The first was my back and I've taken steps and fixed that issue...so far no back pain.  The heat exhaustion was not using ice when I should have....stupid mistake on my part and I won't make that one on the 23rd.

Damaris is it a phone interview?  Good luck!  And enjoy that Friday off.

Quick check in!  As posted on FB, I was away last weekend for the Bishop High Sierra Trail Race and now I'm swamped at work this week.  Why is it so busy?!  Ran 4.2 easy miles yesterday, will do around 8 today.  Going up to Lake Tahoe this weekend for an organized training run for the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 that I'm doing in July.

It's been busy in here, love it.  Sorry not to catch up with everyone more regularly.

Lisa, never too late for a GED or other life changing things.... like running.  I didn't start running until my 30s but so glad that I did.  Enjoy your wending.  

Karen, well done on getting out there before the temps get even more miserable!  Wait, that doesn't sound very positive..

Kilmisters, glad that you are having a productive week while the boss is gone.  But SMH at the silly rumors in your office, don't people have anything more important to talk about?!

Lizzie, I'm in for a BACHELORETTE WEEKEND!  We will have fun anywhere we go.  After you and HCF figure out your plans, we can see what's out there for race weekends.

Damaris, I saw that you have an interview for the Seattle job.  Hope it goes well.  That would be a big change!

CrazySue, I've never heard of the Wends, interesting!

MTA: cross-posted with Seloc and DHuff...  happy running day to you!

Waving to everything that I missed!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Tuesday was jacket weather. My plan was to do 45 minutes out the trail which I did. Then I found my friend from last week so I ran the time up to 80 minutes. It was a good run. As I started out the trail I met about 10 high school age running girls. I commended them and they were pleased.  Bunnies, birds, osprey on the nest later.
                      Today I need to rest the toe again. Cardio dvds barefoot should give me a boost and save the toe. It tolerates the shoes just so long.
                      Happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Kilmisters

Lizzie, wow, it's Global Running Day? Surprised I am not seeing dozens of events on FB feed; usually there are at least some. Oh well. Not that I would go. As for audit, you cannot retroactively change anything, and after all the crap mammel has caused you. And not surprised about crappy run; stress also adds to it.

Sue, hm, interesting; googled the info about Wends. Such history trivia is always interesting.

Sandy, you and extra miles after work... You generally being a morning runner... No, I don't believe it Big grin So any mile you DO run will be a pleasant surprise! Big grin

Diane, ugh, those few stupid drivers are the worst. Dust clouds. Attempts to show off by using drifting skills. And so on.

So, the last two hours at work were just wow. After introduction of new GDPR rules, some customer data we have was deleted. Seems like there has been a misunderstanding on what will be deleted and what will stay. I was forwarded a loooonggggg email conversation (which shows this stuff has been escalated to our CEO, who then complained to global Group), and asked for comment, as the first person to find out data was deleted and said ''wait, this is not what was communicated'', was me. And, uhm, I am the one using it the most. Since it is a lot of ''we agreed on this'' ''but this is not done'' ''yes it is'' 'but where is the data'' ''here it is'' ''no it is not, you said you deleted it'' ''no we didnt'' ''yes you did'' ''who said that'' insanity, I called two directors of our Latvian office (lawyer - because data protection, loyalty program - because customer data) to shortly explain stuff and now I am sitting at home and carefully drafting the email, based on what was said and when. I would pay a fortune to be given a chance to simply write ''ok, sunshines, let's get this s--t over with, do we have the GPS data or not... .... .... ... Regards, Elina''.

I will never ever say things at work are suspiciously calm again. Ever.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lisa, good luck to your student.  What a great thing that she wants to go back to get her GED!!  Enjoy your wending.

Karen, enjoy your wending as well.  This weather sucks.

Elina, sounds like a challenging end to your work day.

Lizzie, ya gotta get the wedding date down first.  Jan is bad, Karen and I are in Louisiana, Damaris is doing Houston.  Well, bad for the 3 of us...  Of course I don't know if I could get time off in spring anyways...  Sad  Maybe fall.  Yeah, get married in fall JUST so I can bachelorette with you gals.  hah!!  Smile

Damaris, you have an interview!!!!!  I remember that from the other day.  WHEN?  I don't remember that part.  Is it an in person one, or prelim phone type??  Oh, reading Sue's post - it is TOMORROW - good luck!!!!!!

Sue, sorry your run wasn't cooler.

Sandy, glad you hauled butt back.  Again, sorry about your friend.  Whatever works for you on your trip if you make it.

Diane, yes, I heard about Kate Spade, how sad.

Margaret, great job in tough conditions last weekend.

Judy, jacket weather?  What is that!

So I actually partook in running day!  Well, walk/running day for me.  Only 82 out with a feels like 86.  I disagree, felt like 100.  I was standing at the light waiting for it to turn and the sweat was rolling down my back and I hadn't even run yet.  Got a shortie one in, I was melting.

Work is taking forever to wind down.  3 1/2 weeks.  I still don't have an answer to one question, which I have been asking for nearly a month.  I have asked my bosses 2-3 times, my market manager 3 times, the director of HR twice.  It isn't a huge deal, but I would like an answer to my question.  Geez.  (They have my last day in a new pay period, which would put my last check 2 weeks behind everyone, which means my severance/PTO payout would be delayed.  Not sure that is what they meant to do and do they REALLY want me to work that day??  Only a few of us work Sundays.)  Ramble over...

Have a lovely day.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Anonymous Guest

First hour of running - not bad. Second hour of running - pretty sucky. So better than normal, I guess. I ended up running 11, with a break at 5 to stop home and guzzle a bunch of gatorade, and a break at 10 to talk to this girl I've seen running quite a bit lately. I think she's the one Bernie was telling me about, as she mentioned that "this old guy" told her she needed to talk to me, because I run all kinds of marathons and stuff.

All of you "it's only Wednesday" people need to retire. I'm sitting over here thinking "it's Wednesday already?!?"

Damaris, how exciting about the interview!!!!!!! Good luck! As for this week, I'd like to set a weekly mileage PR, but this weather. I'll do what I can, but will most likely fall in the middle of the group. If nothing else, it's a kick in the pants to get back on track as I'm over 100 miles behind my pace bunny.

Elina, I have to admit that all I know about GDPR is that I've gotten a ton of emails from websites telling my their privacy policy has changed. Good luck getting your issues straightened out.

Liz, yeah, today is probably going to suck a little. When you're a bit of a perfectionist, mistakes hurt more. But like Susan said, we've all been there. I was thinking the same thing about Glass City, but then was thinking Toledo? Is that really where we want to have bachelorette marathon weekend? But then I thought - good central location, good race, and it's really about the people. Island destination sounds pretty awesome, but you're right, January is a busy month. And realistically more people would probably be able to make it to Toledo than the Caribbean. On the other hand, it's Toledo, not Vegas or the Caribbean or......someplace cool.

Susan, nice 5. I'm glad I'm not the only one still stiff and sore two days after a tough workout. And an extra special happy Wends-day to you!

Sandy, hey, you ran. That's what counts. And made it safely home. How awful about your friend in Austin. Colon cancer is evil.

Diane, from the other day (was it just yesterday?), speedwork is supposed to be hard and uncomfortable. I think I'd leave it on Tuesday. If you switch it to Thursday, you might still be tired and sore for the long weekend runs, and I'd give them priority over going faster doing speedwork. As long as the effort is there, it's not going to matter if you could be 0.1 mph faster on Thursday with extra rest than you would be on Tuesday, it's more that you put in the effort and pushed yourself. Does that make sense?

Gatsby, the pictures from your 50K were gorgeous. And the fact that you ran another 50k is pretty badass. Tahoe run should be fun - I love it there.

Judy, 80 minutes? Wow, nice long run!

Kat, yes, it's weather where you see a stop light ahead and pray for it to change to red so you can stop and catch your breath. And let the sweat roll down, so it feels a little bit cooler when you start running again. I may have been trying to convince Lizzie to join us in Louisiana when we were in Fargo.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Throwing out an idea... may be one to be shot down but tossing it all the same...

Glass City Marathon is end of April so I would think school spring breaks would be over.  One hour away is Sandusky (HI Ginny!) and 3 or 4 big water park hotels.  Not a beach but they do have waterside bars and could be nice pre or post marathon for soaking in. We could PRETEND we are on an island somewhere even though only in Ohio (sorry Ginny and Judy). My place is an hour the opposite direction and would certainly be open for many to stay at if they wanted to before/after.. whatever. It's just me in there and there are 2 bedrooms plus two futons if not staying at one of the lodges. Great Wolf and Kalahari are the biggies. The Detroit airport would be just over an hour from Toledo and two+ hours from Sandusky. I could certainly drive people.  The van seats 7 (same one used in Maine) and I'm presuming that I would still be connected to it. :-)

Aside from that, I'd be open to anywhere. I will likely be in Europe to visit DD (and Elina!) earlier in April or late in March. DD has pointed out to me that the Rome Marathon is in April and has a 7.5 hour cut off. In case you were thinking really far flung. LOL

Lisa

Louisiana Marathon---Baton Rouge is only 3.5 hours or so from me.  Karen--you know it is put on by the same guys who did the Mississippi Gulf Coast Marathon, right? Supposed to be a good race tho. It is a maybe for me.  Not sure about next year's work travel schedule yet.