Womens Running

Mothers Day WEEKENDS (DAILIES) (Read 19 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms - that includes the dog moms, cat moms and bird moms 😃

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

6.3 for me. Heading to abs in about an hour.

69 degrees out there...67 dewpoint. Please send snow. Smile Honestly, for how crappy it felt out there the run wasn't that bad. I had to come home for a bathroom break halfway, but other than that it was a good run. Probably one of the best I have had since the race. Ending the week at 33 miles. Just where I wanted to be! It will be similar next week as well. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to put my marathon plan together. Have a couple months before I would start training.

I have a mini vent about work. After my asset manager call, I felt like crap. I just feel stupid and like maybe I am just not ready for this job. It is NOT him..he is awesome. Talks to you like a counter-part..not like he is in "charge" (like Mammel). But I notice that I hesitate when I make decisions or I submitted something for "out of scope" approval when it should be covered already by the contract. Just little things. I am NOT used to making decisions and standing up for why I did - Mammel never gave me that opportunity. I am not used to being in charge! I am probably being extra hard on myself. I realize I am still learning the job and learning how he wants things presented to him. I am also still learning WHAT IS covered in the contracts - but I want to do a good job! I want them to be SOO happy they hired me. Does that make sense? IDK. Just been on my mind since yesterday.

Busy day today. We have a cookout at 1pm. Wish it was later in the day...we have to get all chores done today since we are traveling up to my brothers and MD tomorrow. I have to pack for Sunday nights stay in MD and also my site visits on Tuesday (I have to stay the night in Harrisonburg). Happy to say I am almost DONE with the site visits! WOOT!

Kathryn - SWEET on the watch! You will get your moneys worth Smile I am jealous of your shopping spree! Smile I thought about buying myself something real nice for making it 90 days without smoking. Hmm..Kate Spade maybe?

Karen - You are such a great coach. I really wish you lived in VA so I could join. No way id live in TX. Wink You know, sometimes recipes with coconut don’t taste like coconut. I am not a fan myself..but I like a lot of things with coconut in it. Hey, Diane (MIL) knows all about your cycle!!! LOL

Laura - Nice miles yesterday! I seem to get more tired when I sleep in. AWWW..I can’t wait to see some pictures of DD!! Smile Have fun on the run today. Send that freeze warning this way!

Tessa - Have a great time hiking today! That sounds really fun! AWESOME on the race sign up!! I have been meaning to put together my running plan as well. Well, just the timing.

HCF is coming to the gym with me! Say whatttt!!! Wink

Happy Saturday!

Good morning!  Heading out soon for a trail marathon. A RB who’s been out with a knee problem is picking me up. He’s testing out the knee with a HM today. Looking forward to catching up.  Over in the Oakland hills (Karen, your old territory?)

Lizzie, totally normal that you’re unsure of yourself making decisions, given mammel’s micromanagement and how he didn’t support or help you.  Give it time, you’ll get there!  Yay for HCF going to the gym with you.

Have a a great day!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

Yesterday afternoon I got my first real sponsor! I've only had the two I basically inherited - the store we run out of and the hospital sports medicine department that sponsors all the local groups and a ton of the races. This is the juice place that is opening in the shopping center where we run. I met the owner after the half last month, followed up a few weeks later and get the email yesterday that they are in! Since I absolutely hate asking people for things, especially people I don't know, this is kinda big for me. I'm hoping to get a couple more (although I won't take credit if my baby runner gets us the beer sponsor) before we start up.

I added more asking for things to my June list of things to do. Someone told me that restaurants are generally pretty happy to give away gift cards because it gets people in the door and then they generally spend a lot more once they're there. There are a bunch of restaurants in the shopping center (it's a pretty big place), so I'm going to walk around to all the restaurants and see if I can get anything out of them, then we'll do raffles after some of the Saturday runs to give them away (and keep people around for the seminars). And then maybe more businesses will see us as a part of the community and potential customers and want to sponsor us or give us things going forward. Could you imagine if I got the cupcake place to sponsor us??

Since I've been focusing so much on getting things going for next season, I've got a question for the group. One of the organizers I met at the conference painted smallish rocks with "10" and "20" and their group name on them and brought them out for the half groups first 10 miler and the full groups first 20. They were "milestones" for those that completed the distance to take.  Get it - mile stone milestones? So my question, good idea or corny?

Okay, enough about my group. The overnight rain into the morning didn't happen, but is now supposed to hit around noon and not be as bad as predicted. Thank goodness. But since the storms have been so bad, and this Thursday through Saturday event looked just as bad, I ran every day I could thinking I'd save my rest days for the storms. So even though it's not raining, I am not running today. Tomorrow looks better anyway, overnight low of 60.

Tessa, yay on Spokane! You'll get back into marathon shape in no time.

Laura, have fun with your mom in town! It's fun seeing all the prom pictures on fb this time of year.

Liz, I think what you're feeling in your new job is completely normal. Those things you're uncertain of will become routine in no time. And the decisions will be much easier once you've got a little more experience in the job itself. You'll look back and be amazed at how much you learned and how quickly you mastered it. Nice running this week - I plan on ending up with about the same mileage. Speaking of Diane, yesterday DH came home from work and apparently was talking to her on the way home. He had gossip,  which he shard and then said "but I'm not supposed to say anything, it's still a secret." I said "your mom knows about it and they still think it's going to be any kind of secret? By now your brother knows, your aunts and uncles know, probably most of your cousins know." As they probably also know about my cycle, now that you mention it!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I think I just figured out what's been going on: depression.  Ever since January when I had a bout of depression during the shutdown, I don't think I ever recovered or did anything about it.  It's not like me to not apply for my judge's position when I've been waiting for one to retire for years, or for DNFing all my marathons.  I think it's medication related (BP meds can cause it), so we will see how we can work it out.  With that said, I might run tonight.

Liz, ugh at the weather.  It feels like 91F here and it's only 10am...

Margaret, good luck on the race!

Karen, yay on the sponsor!

Damaris

LC Runs

Happy Saturday!!

6.7 for me this am...it was kind of segmented though.  I ran to the park to meet my RF, which is about 1.25 miles from my house. Then I stopped and she got herself together, she runs with her dog which does not work great in town, so that took a few minutes to get situated.  Then, we ran about 4 together.  We stopped and talked for a bit at her car and then I ran home.  I like how Strava will pause when you are not running.  So, not a fast run by any means but it was nice.  And, since I always complain about our crap weather, today was perfect!

Lizzie - nice run!  You need to come up here to run this time of year, perfect for you (no freezing weather, it was 40 degrees, no wind and sunny)!  I think you will get more confidence with a little experience, there is no way for you to know all that information at the beginning.  I can relate, I sometimes just 'guess' at what I'm supposed to do since it's hard to find someone to answer my questions and then have to correct myself.

Margaret - enjoy the trail run!!

Karen - that's so exciting about the sponsors, you are doing such a great job!!  I think the milestone thing is cool!

Damaris - glad you are looking at ways to address the issue!  Are judges elected or appointed there?  I think in Michigan they are all elected officials.  Hope you are feeling up to a run today!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Federal bankruptcy judges are interviewed and hired like a regular job, with appointments of 14 years subject to renewal.  Regular federal judges are appointed by the President; bankruptcy judges are Article III judges vs Article I (regular federal judges for life) in the Constitution and selected by the other district court judges (Article I judges).

I am applying for a Magistrate Judge position (similar procedure as bankruptcy judges) where I don't have a chance but fuck that.

Damaris

LC Runs

Federal bankruptcy judges are interviewed and hired like a regular job, with appointments of 14 years subject to renewal.  Regular federal judges are appointed by the President; bankruptcy judges are Article III judges vs Article I (regular federal judges for life) in the Constitution and selected by the other district court judges (Article I judges).

I am applying for a Magistrate Judge position (similar procedure as bankruptcy judges) where I don't have a chance but fuck that.

You Go, Girl!!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I RAN TODAY!!!!!! 6 miles with the my RP who walked with me last week at the race. She had to stop 3 times to poop in 6 miles. This is not unusual for her. She doesn't get up early enough to do it at home so the fact that it was well after 9am was kinda annoying. But since she donated her time last week to help me I didn't gripe too much (out loud. What happens in our head should often stay in our head. lol). But this is one reason I prefer to run solo.

Lizzie.... what you describe with your job sounds very normal. it will all become second nature to you soon.

Margaret... have fun on the trails today. I stuck to dry pavement myself today.

Karen.... personally I believe the stones are a fabulous idea.  I wish I could run with your group.

Damaris.... depression could certainly be a factor. I am glad you're looking into that possibility and now you can try to get a handle on it. I suffer from it and am always looking for ways to alleviate it when it strikes its ugly face. hugs. Your running will return when you're ready. And you always come back stronger from what I have seen.

Laura....I assume we get similar weather. crap.  I personally can use some sun and dry weather. Not hot gross weather. But dry and sunny.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Half Crazy K 2.0

10 miles today with 10 x 3 minute intervals on a mostly uphill section. It was cool and sprinkling. Seems like it keeps raining--well, it does. We've had 15 Fridays in a row with rain. 15!

Lizzie, I think those feelings are normal when starting a new job or position. Plus, you have to figure out how to work with a new manager, luckily not all are like Mammel.

AnonymousGuest, I think the milestones would be one of those things that some would absolutely love and others would be kinda meh on. Seems worth a try.

BerthaSlayer, were you running in a park or did she have to take those breaks in the woods?

Karen-I LOVE the mile stones... I'm sure that you are shocked that I would love something corny like that. What would be equally cool would be to have a small glass jar and get either small stones, marbles, or those flattish colored glass discs. Write numbers on them up to the distance of the big event. Give the person the jar either during training with as many stones in it as they have already done and then add during the training cycle as they reach those new levels. Kind of cool to see it fill up. Maybe give to person a special colored stone each time they do 5, 10, 15, or 20 miles also... Idea being at the end they can visualize to a certain extent their training. When they doubt that they can do it they will have a real visual of all the miles they have put in, all the hay in the barn.

Kat-woot on the new watch! I bought 2 pairs of used Hokas from the REI used gear website and a SkirtSports capri skirt that was on sale. Enough shopping for me. I remember that I ACTUALLY believed Katie when she said that they brought in rocks for Bandera. BWAHAHA! I mean, they don't REALLY truck in more rocks, do they? 

Lori-wtg on the run! Dawn may be talking me into that Loopity Loops timed race in July.

Margaret-hope you had fun today!

Laura- you go girl!

Damaris-hugs! Having a sense of what is going on certainly helps!

Diane-have fun at those races. They cost too much not to.

Ran with Trail Sisters this morning. Just 5.3 miles on Poto but was great! Then we drove down to Toledo where Abhay bought a Harley.  Now I guess I will be a Harley chick.  It's a sort of smaller one (for a Harley) that he could do his ride to Alaska (someday) on.

FYI.. if anyone is interested in joining us at North Country I have an AirBNB in downtown Manistee reserved. 3 bedrooms and only 2 are taken. Walking distance to House of Flavors. Even after a marathon.

Lisa

Had a fun day at the trail marathon today.  As usual around here, it was plenty hilly, >5600' elevation gain, but I did my best to tackle them and finished 35 minutes faster than last year, 2nd in AG.  Friend did well too, knee generally cooperated and he was 1st in his AG.  I'm currently eating a bowl of chips and drinking my post-race beer.

Karen, I'd have liked the "mile stones" when I was starting off.  Yes, maybe a little corny, but still a good idea.  As long as you don't feel awkward giving them out.

Damaris, interesting thought about depression throwing you out of whack.  Good idea to look into it and see what changes you can make to your meds.  Most of my cases are before magistrate judges in district courts.  Apply for it, no reason not to.

Lori, yay for running!  Onward with Woodstock training!

LC, I have a cousin named Laura Clark who runs a little bit.  The other day, I was confused because couldn't remember following my cousin on Strava.  And I thought she lived in Reno.  Then I remembered that I'm not following my cousin.  

HCK, nice intervals on the hills.

Tessa, wooo on Spokane marathon.  I'm not going to join you, deliberately not planning anything for after Woodstock.

MTA: cross-posted with Lisa because I was taking too darn long.  I'd like to go to Alaska one day, but not on the back of a Harley.  

Although I know nothing about hockey and do not follow the San Jose Sharks, I feel the need to watch and root for them in the playoffs.  So that's on the tube.  Works well with my chips and beer.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Lisa,  both events are so tempting. I may be going to Loopty Loops. Ingrid and Shaylene are both goin .

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Running rest day for me! Heading to a Body Pump around 10.

Thank you all for the work advice. Glad to know its normal and I am not crazy Smile

Good day yesterday but it was crappy - weather wise. We went to a graduation cookout yesterday afternoon (older graduate) and it was outside because their house was just too small to have everyone inside - and it was pouring. They had tents set up but that didn't help anything. It dropped the temperature to the low 70's but it was SO. HUMID. At least they had cake.

Heading to my brothers around noon today. Going to hang with them and my mom and then heading to MD for the night. Busy day. I have a KILLER headache. Not enough water im sure.

Happy Mothers Day!

Karen - Congrats on the sponsor! That is GREAT! That is some major extroverting - good for you. I would find that very difficult as well, so..GO YOU. A cupcake sponsor would be awesome! The milestone idea IMO, is cool. Cute idea. LOL at Diane. Hope you are able to get some miles in today!

Docket - Aw Sad I hope you start feeling better soon. I am glad you recognize it and want to take care of it! Would you consider taking something for it? Only ask because after HCF’s heart attack he started taking something to help him get back on track. I have really noticed the difference in his attitude - especially towards work. He won’t be on it forever..just a little help. As for the job, always always apply! It NEVER hurts anything!

Laura - Woohoo nice run yesterday! Your DD looked beautiful last night! The dress reminded me of Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Loved it!

Margaret - You crushed yesterday! Congratulations!!! Chips and beer sounds good! Maybe some quesadillas and bananas?

Lori - WOOHOO on the run! Okay, I can relate to your friend LOL. Happens to me ALL.THE.TIME.  Usually on runs longer than 13 though Smile

Run4kupcakes - Nice run yesterday!! It was cool in our area yesterday too..”cool” meaning I wore jeans. Wink

Lisa - Nice run yesterday! Congrats to Abhay on his Harley! HCF loves his. So, you went back to Toledo? Did you stop to see Diane?

Happy Sunday!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I am taking one more RD and then restart tomorrow.  Happy Mother's Day!

Liz, I don't want to take something now; trying to see if the BP meds are the cause or not first.  Sometimes, knowing about the problem helps.  I have plenty of time before Chicago so I can play around with the meds and see first.  Glad he is taking something to help him recover.  It must not be easy.

Damaris