Womens Running

Cold Front Friday! (Read 21 times)

Anonymous Guest

Cold front should be arriving in the next hour or two. I hope I can run in the cooler temps this weekend!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

It's in the upper 70s now, but should be in the 60s in a couple hours. Woohoo.

Astros won last night, so they are one step closer to meeting the Cardinals in the World Series.

I think I'm going to try another short run this morning before my appointment with the doctor at 11. But first coffee. Also need to get the utilities at the new place turned on/put in our name. Normally I'd set that up ahead of time, but I wasn't trusting this deal until it was completely done. I booked the dogs in the kennel for the end of the month and confirmed the dog trainer can work with them while we're gone. It's still hard to believe the sale went all the way through!

What do you have on tap for today and the weekend?

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

16.2 for me!

Great run considering I didn’t want to do it 😊. Weather was 52!!!!! My arms got cold 😊. My stomach however, was a mess. I ended up taking something for it which I haven’t been doing a lot recently. So freaking annoying. Anyway, its done. Training cycle is almost done for me! My Garmin thinks I am in recovery mode. WTH.

Today will be crazy day at work. We are down to 3 days! This weekend…hair apt, printing signage for wedding, welcome bags, eyebrow apt (who knew?), lunch with a friend, writing out letters to parents…last minute shit basically. 😊

Wedding weather watch – 71/53 SUNNY. For my LR next Thursday…42. I am going to need to pull out the PANTS!!! WHAT!!! LOVE this time of year.

Karen – Congratulations on the condo!!!!! So exciting. Can’t wait until you visit and post tons of pictures. Okay then. Myrtle Beach it is! I signed Ruger up for his kennel stay..its really breaking my heart to have him there for 2 weeks. They will take good care of him, but still. I will miss my little buddy! Let us know how the doctor goes!!

Run4kupcakes- Nice run yesterday! WOOHOO, does this mean 4 day weekend for you??

My inbox is flooding already. Happy FRIYAY!!!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Woohooo!!!!  Three day weekend!!!!!!!  And we are leaving early so I can get to chiro appt this afternoon.  Office is a ghost town, but I had 15 emails from my boss this morning!!! 15!!!Sheesh!!! And...she wants

me to resend her some projects I finished early in the summer. Ugh. Yes, let me waste some time looking up a project and sending it to you AGAIN.

Slept in this morning.  I really needed it.

I am SO ready for cooler weather!!!

Lizzie--so excited for you!!

Have a great weekend!!

Bikerchick1

Karen - Yay for the condo AND the cold front!  Hoping things go ok with the foot.   I just listened to a podcast about runners and injuries - it was all about the mental aspect of it - was interesting.

Liz - Glad your training cycle is almost over.  Hope the weather holds out nice for your wedding!!!

Yesterday did my “neighborhood” run, then my brother took me golfing...I suck...but was beautiful weather and we enjoyed it, so all wasn’t lost.  Doing LR later with RB’s.

Hi to all! 

Carol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The cold front is coming here too! I still have not turned on the furnace so not sure what to do tonight that the low is 35F.  Should I turn it on?  Ha.  House insulation is awesome but I don't want to freeze come tomorrow morning.

I was so exhausted after weeks of no sleep, worries, etc., that I came home to 1/4 of our floors being gone, 10 fans that scared the shit out of the cats, and I just ordered pasta from Olive Garden (you know I eat low carb now so this is huge - first pasta in 5 months), had a martini and went to bed with the cats by 9:30am.  Slept on and off but better than the last month combined.

I have 5 miles.

Karen, hope you get to run in nice temps.  It was 70F here this morning, wut?  It should be raining most of the day so it will be nice and like 59F and rainy for my run tonight. Not sure what to wear!

Liz, nice run!  Forecast for the wedding sounds great.

Susan, does she ever rest?  My little office is a ghost town today but it's my short day and I leave at 4!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Carol, have fun!

Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

It was 39! 30 freaking 9 degrees with a wind chill of 33....It's too soon for this crap.

Karen would you describe strides for me.  I'd like to see if I can get a little faster (HA...lol) and maybe even do some little bit of running.  I've been reading The Happy Runner and am kind of motivated again.  Have to make sure I keep my back happy though.

Anonymous Guest

My foot needs to get better as I obviously have way too much time on my hands in the morning without running. Sky is really cool-looking right now, dark storm clouds moving in really fast with pockets of blue sky and sunshine. I guess I should wait until this line of thunderstorms (which is the cold front!!!!!!) pass through. I've seen a few different stories lately of people getting hit by lightning. So I hope it passes through in time for me to get my short little run in and then get cleaned up to go to the doctor. Wind is picking up......it's like Christmas Eve here waiting for the colder weather. Predicted 50 degrees tomorrow for the group run.

After the doctor I'm going to run by Kohls. I have a 30% coupon and DH needs workout shorts and more t-shirts. I don't need anything, but that doesn't mean I won't walk out with anything for me.

Oh I almost forgot, we finished season 3 of Goliath last night. i don't really remember much of season 2 other than it was a letdown. Season 3 started out a little weird, but got good. I was really sucked in by about episode 4 and binge watched until the end.

Diane, I started reading The Happy Runner last night. Strides - they should be done at the end of your run. I usually do them over the last mile or two and run easy between them, but there are people smarter and more experienced than me that say you should complete your workout, then do strides, with a complete rest in between until your HR comes back down. Generally 100 meters, or if you go by time 20-35 seconds. The first 2/3s or so you should  be increasing your speed, then just "float" at top speed the last 1/3. Not 100% all out, more like 85-95%. Reason for that is that you want to focus on good form, and if you're going as absolutely fast as you can, you'll start flailing a bit and your form goes out the window. So don't focus too much on how fast you're going at the end, but on keep good form as you speed up. I am a big fan of strides, both as an intro to speedwork, and also as a chance to focus on your form at faster speeds. It's a lot harder to think about form when you're trying to run faster for longer, but you can for just the short interval time of a stride. I would try adding them in once/week at the end of a normal workout.

Liz, this is your last weekend of being single! Well, you're not actually single, but you know what I mean. I predict most of the time you're in Hawaii you will just be loving life, but then there will be times you'll think of Ruger. The good thing is he's going somewhere he's comfortable and has fun at. He'll be just fine. I am so excited for you.

Yay on Myrtle Beach! I know Damaris is signed up but they are iffy right now on that one. Who else wants to join us? Cathy and Sandy, you know I'm gonna bug you about it next weekend.

Susan, I can't even with your boss. I hope she understands that a three-day weekend means no work for three entire days.

Carol, I think most people suck at golf. The secret is to be okay with that and enjoy it.

Damaris, you crack me up. I would turn the heat on before you go to bed but keep the thermostat set pretty low. That way you won't be freezing in the morning if the temps do drop so much. I follow the local news from my hometown on fb and they were showing the cold front moving through there this morning. They are 3-4 hours straight west from Indy, so it is most definitely heading your way.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I will put it on but will see what temps.  Hubby is the AC master in the house and I've no idea what he puts it up to: 74? 72?  I don't want to be too hot either and the house has great insulation.

Diane, that is heading my way!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Docket, we set our heat around 65 at night. Trust me, you will roast at 72.

dhuffman63

Trails

Thank you Karen...I want to start adding in some run/walk workouts slowly....like one day a week to start and see how I feel after a couple weeks build up to 2 times a week for a couple of weeks and see where I stand then add in a few strides.  Not sure I'll ever get to the tempo type workouts but strides sound like fun.  I'm debating hiring a coach for my 100k next year and will definitely consider strongly one for my 100 miler, whenever that maybe.  I'll still need to find one that has a long cutoff though cause I'm still SLOW. 

Oh and tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 30!  We have a freeze warning.

Anonymous Guest

I will put it on but will see what temps.  Hubby is the AC master in the house and I've no idea what he puts it up to: 74? 72?  I don't want to be too hot either and the house has great insulation.

Diane, that is heading my way!

We keep our a/c at 76, but our heat at 68. I'd turn on the heat but keep it low, like low to mid 60s. You'll sleep great and can always turn it up some if you need to once you get up.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Yay, cold front.  Can you sense my excitement?    We may have our first hard freeze tonight, low of 29 expected.  High in the 40's tomorrow.  Woot woot!  Still resting, I am on call this weekend.  I guess if I feel like it, I can venture out for a run tomorrow.    Oh, and I have a massage this afternoon!!

Karen, enjoy the cold front!    Congrats again on the condo!  Did you hear about the guy that got hit by lightning near the finish line of a 50K in Kansas?  Have fun shopping.  I'm sure you will get Kohl's cash and need to go right back next week.    Myrtle Beach... well, there's this pesky marathon that I am signed up for on April 11.  Though I suppose a half in early March would fit in also.  I am still debating whether I really want to train for a marathon in the winter.  Besides that I have never run two marathons that close together.  I'll make you a deal, I'll train for a marathon in April and you will train for Lakefront.    Yes, Chicago gives a break to women in their 50's!  They take times since 1/1/2018, so I bet you have lots of qualifying times!    Hmm, Lakefront or Chicago.  I guess it depends on how bad you want to get WI out of the way compared to the spectacle that is Chicago.  

Liz, awesome long run!  Sorry about the stomach issues.  Maybe you just have to get old and super regular like me.    Recovery mode?  Was your HR lower than normal?  I am guessing it may have been due to the cooler weather!  It's the final countdown!!  You won't know what to do with all your extra time.    Yes, I am hard at work trying to figure out my training schedule.  These days, the mileage I run during training for a half vs a marathon is not all the different, just a longer long run and a mid-week long run.  I can usually do my long runs outside during the weekend.  That mid-week long run might be on the TM, but I suppose I would survive.  

Sue, enjoy the long weekend and the time away from your boss.  

Carol, sounds like a fun time golfing!  

Damaris, heehee, you may want to invest in an electric blanket!  Then you can keep the heat pretty low, and if you get chilly, adjust the heat of the blanket without getting out of bed.    It's also nice because you can turn on the blanket about 15 minutes before getting into bed and it will be nice and warm when you get in!  They have blankets with 2 controls, so DH can leave it off or adjust it differently.  I think men tend to sleep warmer than women.    I read somewhere that 65 is ideal for sleeping.  I'm glad you got some sleep, sounds like the stress has been overwhelming!

Diane, yes, it's too soon.  

Kupcakes, enjoy the day off!

Lori, woot woot on your fast 5K!

Cathy

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Docket, we set our heat around 65 at night. Trust me, you will roast at 72.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am.  Hubby puts it to the mid 70s but the insulation in Miami was non-existent.  I have the AC now at 74F and it's been nice and all even when we hit the 40s at night (hubby had the house at 76F in Miami).  I'll try 70F and go from there.  If I need to unwrap tonight I'll have to walk down and put it in 65F and you can tell me I told you so, ha.

Damaris