Womens Running

O-scared Monday (Over 40) (Read 23 times)

Tessa- I arrive mid day on June 2.

Lisa

Anonymous Guest

Long day. Drove 7.5 hours home and it just wore me out. Then a friend on FB pointed out that on Saturday I ran for a longer time than I drove today. That really hit me, because the drive seemed to take forever. Anyway, short nap, groceries, 2 loads of laundry and the Biggest Loser later, here I am. Ready for bed.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words on my RR and picture.

camille, only the last ~5 miles was relentless solid uphill (and that was the road, which isn't usually the course). The rest, although it was more up than down (and vice versa on the way back) was more gentle and rolling. I walked more for the footing than because it was uphill. Except for the uphill road, which the marathon didn't do. It is a really well done event, very friendly RD, volunteers, spectators (yes, there were spectators on the trail at one point, they had camped overnight to be there!) and participants. And from the other day, the 82 year old did run the marathon, not the challenge!

Lisa, there is a book on training for ultras (Relentless Forward Progress, or something like that) and the training plan calls for one day of walking each week. And I remembered all the people I passed at North Country just by walking faster. And since I figured I'd probably be walking the hills anyway, I just set the TM at 4 mph, started around 5%, and increaded 1/2% every quarter mile up to the max, which is 12% on my TM. It was boring, but was actually a good workout, and I think it did help.

Damaris, running a half with the nausea from a migraine, that is pretty bad ass. The first time I ran Marine Corps I had a migraine and it was just miserable. I think it would be even worse with the nausea. Way to get it done.

Gatsby, great race for you.

Tired, and can't remember what else was on the first page - sorry! I think I'll go to bed and try this again tomorrow.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

Oh, a funny thing I wanted to share with you guys. This morning I decided to wear my compression calf sleeves for the drive home. I wore my compression tights for recovery Saturday night and Sunday, and since my shins have been kind of tender lately, figured why not. When I woke up from my nap, an area on my right shin hurt. Sharp pain. I laid there for about 20 minutes convinced I had a stress fracture, and getting mad about all the races I was looking forward to and was going to have to miss. It was a localized pain, and it hurt. Finally, I decided to at least take the compression sleeves off, because they certainly weren't helping anymore. Turns out that part of my big toenail came off when I was putting on the sleeve and the sharp edge was digging into my shin! Gross, yes. Stupid, yes. But boy, was I relieved.

I figure only other runners will appreciate this story....

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel