Womens Running

Hopeful Thursday (dailies) (Read 19 times)

Kilmisters

Feeling a bit better and starting to feel some weird bits of confidence. The goal is sub-3hrs Big grin

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Kilmisters

Damaris, understood; Miami is one of those places where the biggest elevation change is likely to be a pothole.

Lizzie, yes, weather stalking continues and it looks like 60 degrees at start time. Is that warm/cold? Smile Sounds perfect to me.

Margaret, the bird picture in FB is amazing Big grin SJS looks like the weakest team still in the play-offs, to be fair; despite last night win vs Vegas. I am cheering for any team not named Pittsburgh.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Thunderstorms for quite a while over the next several days.
        Wednesday I decided to try doing a 40 minute cardio dvd, then icing the foot afterwards. It ached some, but my state of mind was so much better afterward. It's awful not to be able to exercise.
        Today I’m going to the doc to make sure I’m splinting this toe correctly and to find out what cardio exercise I can do without screwing up the foot. I hope to get an idea when I can start to run. The main problem is the bruising of the foot making it hard to wear any shoe other than toeless. At least I have some of those.
        Safe and happy runs, All!  

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me!

9 hours of sleep..OMG it was awesome..I could have slept until noon I think. Smile

Its going to be 70 degrees when I am running tomorrow. UUUGGGHHHHH. The dewpoint won't be too awful actually...but STILL. NO JUST NO. I guess it could be worse..could be running 21 miles haha.

Another day in paradise over here.... Looking forward to FRIDAY! HCBF didn't win the lottery last night so unfortunately my dreams of quitting my job went out the window. 

Run4kupcakes – AGREED on this gross temperature change. I went from wearing a sweater on Monday to skirt and tank today! WTH. I was not ready to shave my legs everyday.

Margaret – There is no Spring over in these parts haha. Nice miles! Do you run much before work? Why do I feel like you are an after work runner?  You are lucky you get to have a flexible work schedule, too!

Kathryn – I like the idea Margaret mentioned – volunteering! Maybe at SPCA? Ugh, wish I lived closer because I would so do that with you

Docket – I am with Margaret, it would be weird running on a course that flat! I guess I have that to look forward to when I am running while vacationing in FTL.

Kilmisters – 60 degrees at start?! That sounds warm!! Haha. As long as it is perfect for you that is all that matters.

Judy – Hang in there! You are right – once you are used to that high of a good run everyday..hard to just cut that off. Good luck at the doctor today! What about elliptical? Or bike?

Have a great day!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have 6 miles and OTF tonight (saw the class was speed and it looks fun).

Elina, true!  Go sub-3!

Judy, glad you were able to burn some without hurting the foot.

Liz, glad you slept well.  Too bad about the lottery...

Damaris

4 sucky miles this morning. Didn't sleep much--worrying about work. Boss moved my performance eval to tomorrow.  Ugh. Another 24 hours to worry.......;(

Judy--patience my friend! Maybe you can do arm and core exercises while your foot heals.  I know it is hard to stay off it.

Margaret--loved the bird pic!

Lizzie--aren't rest days wonderful? Glad you got to sleep in.

And my laptop is really screwy.  Won't read my card (this has been going on for over a week). Took me 30 minutes to get in.  Ugh.

Y'all have a great day!

dhuffman63

Trails

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 50. North wind 5 to 9 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 81. West wind 5 to 7 mph.

No way around it...it's going to be hot.  Lizzie the forecast says a dewpoint of 43 but I'm not sure what that means.  Humidity will be low but it's an open course with no shade.

Elina, you will rock this!  I think I have your cold or what ever.  Runny nose and needing mega doses of coffee.  Could be the staying up late though too as I'm usually in bed by 10.  At this point 60 sounds lovely compared to mine.

Margaret your birds are hilarious.  I'd love to visit and talk to them but just can't see owning a parrot with all my other critters. Of course if I did then I would feel like Dr Doolittle.

Judy that does sound like some sort of torture.  Cutting back for what I'll call taper is not much fun.  I never thought I'd be so caught up in wanting to exercise.

The U2 concert was fantastic.  I'm not a huge U2 fan...the tickets were free so we went.  It was loud.  The guy sitting next to me was a HUGE fan and knew all sorts of stuff.  They played mostly stuff I hadn't heard but did play Sunday Bloody Sunday and Desire.  Can't believe how an old guy like Bono can jump around like that...lol.  Now to mainline caffeine today.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Susan, I think she does all that shit on purpose.  She is a professional bully.

Diane, ugh, that's hot.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

RR:

On Saturday, I ran the Kentucky Derby Marathon in Louisville, KY.  It was a fun race and my 45th marathon.  I had lots of fun but I was slow due to it being hilly, but it's a race I would run again because it's loads of fun.

After the Disney Marathon, I was supposed to run the Houston Marathon for a PR, but I caught a fever the night before the race and I had to DNS.  But don't fret, as I always have back up marathons all throughout the year!  When I realized KY would be my 45th, I started counting down through the rest of the planned marathon and realize my 50th would be Chicago later this year! Makes sense it would be that one.

After Houston, I ran the Princess Half Marathon weekend with my girlfriends and we had tons of fun.  As I mentioned, hubby and I went straight to the hospital for his second brain surgery, which went well.  His recovery was even more amazing than the last time.  He was running and back to work in 10 days.  My training really did not start in full until after we were back home and rested.  However, for the first time in a while, we had time to train me well and train well we did. I am finally back to the mileage I was before my knee surgery and my speed seems to have come back.  I did some challenging workouts, including a 21 miler that was more a marathon than anything else (in speed and challenges).  Training, as usual, went great.  But you know me, I train well and race poorly and this time it was no exception, ha.

We landed in Indy on Thursday night and stayed overnight.

We headed to Louisville early Friday morning and got to the expo right after lunch and right after finding a Krispy Kreme near KY to buy my donuts and a Target to buy my Mtn Dew.  We stayed at the Galt House and that hotel is great.  It's large (it has two towers) but the room was excellent and the service was great.  The price was also great (we used to the race website to book it) but I suspect we got a huge bargain.  The expo was small, so it only took a few minutes to get our packet and shirts.  The race and expo were well organized.  We headed to watch the Avengers movie right after and that's all I'm going to say about that, lol.

The Marathon had a shirt and a trucker hat, which I think was a perfect match for my INKnBURN:

We had dinner in Bourbon District at the Hard Rock Cafe.  I had some fajitas and my stomach was happy to eat that instead of carbs.  I went to bed at midnight and woke up at 6:10am ready to go.

The race started at 7:30am and we stayed a couple of blocks from the start and finish lines.  We started around 4 minutes after the race started.  No waves.  Just corrals and then everybody started as they crossed the finish line.  My husband went off like a bat out of hell and then I never saw it again until I was finishing.  He was doing the HM but he is slower than me but I feel like he is coming after my 2:04 HM PR, motherfucker.

Miles 1-10
                    The first ten miles of the race are pretty flat. n fact, the Half Marathon was flat or so my husband says.  The first eight miles are uneventful as they go through downtown and then residential areas (and the University of Louisville) on our way to the main attraction, Churchill Downs!  The temps were a bit warmer than I like for marathons, starting at 55F and ending in the 60s.  In fact, that is too hot for marathons for me, lol.  Anyway, the first few miles felt good especially since the sun was hidden behind the downtown buildings.  But once we headed to Churchill Downs, we had the sun to our left (and a strongish wind).  We got to Churchill Downs pretty quickly (well, I did.  My husband was probably already done with it).  I kept looking at my watch and I was running between MP and easy pace for all these miles while my HR was below MP HR, so I kept at it.  I knew the hilly part was coming but I didn't suspect it would be as bad as people said.  The elevation chart is a bit misleading, since all this time I'm thinking that it looks like one bad hill and then downhill or flat til the finish.  Hahahahahaha.

Churchill Downs was fun, but it was smaller than I thought.  I was expecting this stadium sized thing and it was as small as the ones that we have down here.  Fortunately, we didn't have to run in the sand/earth, and we were able to see a couple of horses with their jockeys warming up for their practice.  When we exit Churchill Downs, the Half Marathon turned left back to downtown for more flat running, while we turned right to head to the park where those bad hills are.  The next two miles were flat, albeit with maybe a bit of an uphill at 1%, but what I remember about Miles 9-10 was the smell of horse shit.  It never went away.  Yuck.

Miles 11-17
                    So, remember I thought it was one bad hill at Mile 11.66 and then pretty downhill and flat through the finish?  Well, the park was around five miles long and it had mostly uphills.  It fell like it was uphill both ways, lol.  When I reached the bad hill you see there at Mile 11, I started my long walk (same thing I do at the Flying Pig which has similar uphills for three or so miles) and met two ladies. One was doing her third marathon and one was doing her first.  We chatted for a while and they had the same strategy (walk the uphills and run the rest).  Unfortunately, during these five miles there was not much "rest" to run in.  The downhills were around 0.05 long if at all, followed by a new uphill that little by little killed my legs even when I was walking.  I tried to run one but was glad sanity prevailed and I walked because if I had run this, I would have had to walk the rest of the way to the finish.  It killed my legs but I ran more than I would have had I run these hills.

I crossed the HM in 2:20 or something and I knew I would lose the post surgery fast time because there were more hills to come.  After crossing the HM mat, I sort of quit trying.

The park was beautiful and it had gorgeous views of downtown and other areas below.  There was entertainment during this part as well, but not many people cheering, which is understandable since the park was closed.  The water stations throughout were as good as the others.

Miles 18-26

At this point, I text my husband and say, is this the Flying Pig?  The park felt the same way as the Pig.  In fact, I wish the hills were located similar to where the Pig ones were because it's Miles 6-9 and then you don't hit hills this bad later.  But by placing them from 11-17, which are to me, the hardest miles to race during a marathon (after the HM point and before 20 miles), it made the rest of the race hard.

I finally headed out of the park and for the life of me, the flat miles 18-19 felt like uphill.  My legs were done.  I ran as much as I could but I had issues with my compression sock bunching (FFS, I already ran a marathon sockless, so I should have done the same here but I never learn).  I stopped too many times to fix the sock, and to take water, or Powerade.  Thank you to the man who gave me a whole bottle of Powerade which I drank while walking.  And thank you to the kid that gave me a bottle of Electrolyte Water at Mile 22.  Forever grateful.

Mile 22 is where the other bad hill is located.  At this point I looked at it and said seriously?  Even though I am walking a lot, I still see the same people around me so I know I'm not the only one struggling.  I finished with the same people I was around at Mile 14, so at least that is something.

At this point, I text my husband and whine that I was probably walking the rest of the race.  And then I put my phone in my pocket and proceed to run for two miles (except to fix my sock). And then it becomes three miles. And then I text him I'm at Mile 25.  He texted back that he was 1/2 mile from the finish.  And I keep running and don't see him.  And I keep running and running and thinking how much longer to get to 26, sheesh?  The marker for 25 was 0.40 from my watch, although I think it wasn't placed correctly since I crossed Mile 26 0.20 off from the watch, which is more normal for me.  I finally saw my husband, who took a picture of me on the run (it was hideous so I won't post it) and I head to the finish.  Finished in 5:13:15.  Not the time I wanted (I seriously thought I could at least run a sub-5 in this course, hahahaha), but faster than the San Francisco Marathon and the Pig, both comparably hilly, albeit a bit worse.  So, not too bad.

I had tons of fun at this race, notwithstanding.  The people cheering were having fun even with the slower runners.  It's a party. The only thing I didn't see was bourbon or beer on the course.  I know it was there but most likely it was there for the half marathoners and by the time I went by it was gone.  It was hot and sunny when I finished, so I don't blame them for leaving, lol.

I grabbed a heat blanket and my medal and headed outside to meet my husband and get a beer.

Marathon # 45 is done and 46 is coming up in two weeks.  Next time, don't trust your gut and listen to the people that have run that said it's fucking hilly, lol.

Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

Damaris, I found I don't mind the hills...which is good considering where I live, but that one big one in the middle is a little too much. I thought my spring 50ks were all flattish but turns out no, they are not.  The only flat one is the rail trail in June.  Oh well lots more Boy Howdy's.

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Strength tonight, rainy here today.  We had some crazy storms last night, 1 inch hail and 60 mph winds.  A lot of power in our area was knocked out and still out this morning but we were OK.  It made the temps drop a little, I wasn't ready for 80 degrees!  

Elina, sounds like a reasonable goal.   60 at the start sounds decent to me!  I gave DD your advice, she said, "Is she serious?"    I'll have to show her some of your floorball videos!  Out of curiosity I looked to see if there were any floorball leagues near us.  There are 2 in the state of Wisconsin.  The closer one is about 2 hours away.

Lizzie, sleep is good.    Yeah, the snow piles were huge in the parking lot at work, probably 6 feet tall.  I didn't look this morning if they were still there since it was raining pretty hard.  I'm guessing they will be gone!   I saw a man and woman running together yesterday morning, I said good morning and they ignored me.  That usually doesn't happen.    Maybe they were concerned about the rain coming!  This weekend... it's Puma Palooza!    That is the big fundraiser for DD's elementary school.  They have outdoor games, a trackless train, bouncy houses, face painting, etc.  I am volunteering to help load kids onto the train.  DD loves it, she hangs out there with her friends all day.  Should be fun.    Any plans for you and HCBF?  Quiet weekend at home?  

Judy, glad you were able to get some cardio in!  I hope the foot/toe heals quickly.

Damaris, nice race recap!  Still think it's pretty amazing about the quick recovery from brain surgery!  Haha, is it your hubby's goal to beat your HM PR?     It's not really a goal to beat my DH's PR, but it's always in the back of my mind.    Great job hanging in there with the boy howdy hills.  Though personally, I prefer some hills to no hills.  Too much repetition on the leg muscles?  Maybe your coach should sneak some hill intervals into your TM training.    Yeah, I didn't realize what flat was until I ran that HM in Coral Springs!  

Sue, sorry about the work worries affecting everything.  Really sucks!

Diane, if I'm interpreting correctly, that dewpoint with that temp would be fairly comfortable, humidity wise.  It will still feel plenty warm this early in the season, especially without shade!    Glad you enjoyed the concert!  I was a big fan of U2 early on, so I probably wouldn't recognize much either.

Margaret, the drenching was actually fine.  DH noticed it started raining hard and looked outside for me, he saw me run by the house and come back, I had to run even mileage.    The weather has been weird.  Monday it was in the 30's in the morning, with frost and at the end of the day it was 82.

Karen, nice run in the scorching heat!  I am not ready for summer either.  A week or so of spring would be nice!

Kat, hope you got outside!  Your race sounds like it will be a slog.  Sorry that you are not feeling so great.  I like Margaret's volunteering idea.  Getting out and helping others who are in need may also raise your spirits.

Cathy

Seloc

Gatsby – LOL on the birds helping with your post.  And, yep, winter to summer in a blink of an eye!  It’s actually quite spring like here today, for the most part.  Trees are finally budding!  Yay!  Looking at Columbia for Feb.  Well, one of the ideas – I’m kinda all over the map.  That’s going to be one kick-ass trip for you next Sept!

HCK – oof, that’s WAY too big of a temp change.  Hope it cools down a bit again so you can adjust!

Damaris – now THAT is FLAT!  LOL  Have fun at OTF speed – that sounds fun to me, too!  Though I was rudely reminded how much I’ve slowed in the last 30 years – 20sec in the 200m.  Need to come back to read your RR!!

Lizzie – awww, that sure wasn’t a friendly runner.  I can’t believe she didn’t return the greeting!  RUDE.  I saw a woman I know this morning walking her dog.  I actually was looking at the dog and didn’t realize I knew the person but she called me by name haha.  When I drive to Mpls I do occasionally see people I know.  That’s too far to go during the week.  Killer sleep last night!  How far are you going tomorrow?  What’s on tap for the weekend?

Karen – oh my THAT is HOT.  How do you do it??  Yeah, 10am running daily would be lovely but I gots to work haha

Kat – I hope you are feeling better, friend!  I SO wish I could come hang out with you.  Glad you got an appointment on the books.  Ooof 78* for your race is hot.  Hopefully the rain cools you down?

Elina – laughing at your advice to Cathy’s DD.  Teach ‘em young!!  Glad you are feeling better!!

Cathy – okay, I’m not sure I know that “Every Day I’m Shuffling” song.  I meant to pull it up last night but forgot.  No headphones here in cubeville so I better not haha.  That’s  GREAT that running has been pain freeeeeeeee!!  I thought of you this morning when I saw the big green blob of rain sitting over WI.  I think all our snow (except the humungous piles in the parking lots) is all gone.  Trees are budding and the grass is greening up!  Finally!  Though there is still ice on the lakes haha

Ginny – I’ve been sort of afraid winter is going to return, too!  But I finally moved my parka to the front closet so I guess I’m feeling more sure.  BTW – I just finished Carnegie’s Maid and really enjoyed it!  Now I’m reading Sourdough – was that another of your recommendations?  It’s quite different but kinda funny and I like it!

Judy – hope you get some good news from the doc today!

Sue – UGH your boss!  Another control tactic moving meetings around?  I’m so sorry!  Nice job getting out there this morning.  Yes, what Damaris said.

Diane – that dewpoint is pretty low/dry – it shouldn’t feel humid.  It’s when it starts approaching 60 and beyond that you can feel it.  Then 80 is mizzzzzzz as Damaris can attest!  Glad you had fun at the concert.

4+mi for me this morning.  Was a pretty slow shuffle.  Need to do some stretching and foam rolling!  Doing a half on Sunday with RBs.  It’s across town and it starts at 7am.  This is usually ideal except I completely forgot when I signed up that it’s the Derby on Sat!  One of my college friends has a killer party every year.  Mint juleps and lots of good food.  But, I’ll behave.  Have to anyway since it’s a bit of a jaunt – heading across the river to Cathy’s state of residence haha  Dang, I’ve been wanting to take and hour or two off on Friday just to get stuff done in which I don’t have to battle the masses.  Last week my boss scheduled a late meeting and now a customer is requesting same.  Ugh.  Anywho – It’s almost FRIYAY!!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

A $1 million powerball ticket was sold in RICHMOND. UGGGHHHH Why couldnt that have been HCBF?! I could not stop working because of that - but I could quit this job and find something I like hahahah.

Mammel wants to have a talk with me this afternoon. Everyone is gone except him and I today. This should be interesting. I have a hard time speaking my mind when confronted. But I have soooooo much built up...this could be bad. LOL

Docket – Speed looks fun? Haha, have fun! Awesome race report! Congrats on the time! You beat your previous “hilly course” time, so there is that! Sounds challenging. I can’t believe that was your 45th marathon! You are amazing!!! Which one are you doing in two weeks? Love the race swag you got especially the hat. I am also jealous that you can eat chicken fajitas before a race!

Susan – Ugh, I hate that work is bothering you so much!!! Good luck with the performance eval.

Diane – 43 dewpoint is good! Means it wont be super sticky out there. I bet Damaris would kill for a 43 dewpoint  Smile  Awe, glad you had a great time at the concert!

Cathy – 60mph winds? How could you sleep! Haha. Puma Palooza sounds fun!! Is the weather going to be good for it? YES quiet weekend at home!! We need it after last weekend  Smile I have a hair apt up north early on Saturday. HCBF is coming with to go look at some motorcycle . Since we will be near my parents, we are going to grab lunch with them since they just got back from Europe on Monday. Sunday, my friend had asked me to do lunch but I will probably reschedule. I kinda just want to lay around and do nothing! Plus, I need to clean!

Sandy – Nice miles this morning. A half this weekend?! Woohoo! Bummer that it isn’t on SATURDAY. Haha. EW who schedules a late meeting on a Friday?! Tomorrow I have 14-15..but will probably do 15 so I can make it an even 50 after Saturday’s run. Don’t really feel like going that long though..UGH. Should be my last time waking up in the 2’s though for a WHILE. This weekend is pretty low key…hair apt, lunch with my parents on Saturday..hopefully NOTHING on Sunday. I wanted to spend time with HCBF since Mothers Day weekend we won’t be together and then I leave for Fargo the following week. Cant believe it is coming up so fast. You don’t know “everyday im shuffling” by LMFAO?! WHAT?! Oh boy I need to play some tunes when I get to your place. LOL. Kidding Smile

I will let everyone know how it goes!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wait, did I say chicken?  They were steak fajitas.  And a carafe of sangria.  Didn't have any issues whatsoever.

Damaris

Kilmisters

Sue, oh wow, more wait... That sucks... Hang in there!

Damaris, 45th marathon? Amazing! How many years ago did you collecting them? Just curious about the frequency.

Lizzie, you may have mentioned it but how did mammel deal w the important guests? You mentioned smth about such visitors while ago.

Diane, get well! Maybe you took over some of that cold thru some Transatlantic runner connection Big grin  You went to see U2?? Sunday Bloody Sunday is amazing, the drum lines there...... /dreamy eyes/ I like The Saints Are Coming too.

Sandy, slow shuffle is better than no shuffle!! I have a hard time believing you will behave in that party :P

Cathy, well, if you made the decision to transfer my advice, then.... Yes... Yes, I am totally serious - there's no way back Big grin

Since I am taking zero risks and not running before the race at all it's pretty tough to sit still... Oh well... Putting together playlist for the race Big grin Looaads of pump up rock songs. Lots of them. Bought all sorts of junk food/drinks to have w Excels (junk food + Excels = <3); adjusting a file that has sheets so linked w each other... One wrong move and it could explode Big grin Well, lose all the structure, at least. Better to do such stuff at home in relaxed mood not open office. That's my way of staying up till NHL (2am start).