Womens Running

What day is it? The WEEKEND! Dailies (Read 16 times)

Seloc

Two more days off work.  Woohoo!

Seloc

Morning, kids.  Up early over here.  Woke up HUNGRY and couldn't get back to sleep.  Food situation has been abysmal.  No way was I going to the grocery on Wed.  Thurs things were closed.  Thought about going yesterday but Target wasn't allowing pick up for quite a few things on my list.  Plus, I'm sure it was a zoo with Black Friday.  Might venture out today but might treat myself to a deli sandwich and go tomorrow.

Did a 5K on Thurs and again yesterday.  WHOAMI?!  The one yesterday was free and I signed up quite a while back.  Then, my neighbor talked me into the one on Thanksgiving.  COLD.  Neither were chip timed but I think the one yest did results?  At least they were writing down who came across when.  Thurs was a breakfast buffet after.  So weird to be in a bar/restaurant with so many unmasked people!  Glad I got boosted last week.  Scrambled eggs and bacon - so good.  I NEVER cook that for myself.  Then I was lazy the rest of the day watching the parade and, my favorite, the dog show!  Claire the Scottish Deerhound won for the second year.  I don't get it.  To me, she looks like an ostrich.  Yesterday's 5K was around a lake I used to run allllllllll the time when I was training for my first marathon since I lived about a mile from there.  Great memories!  I did not "race" either one - just ran a bit harder than normal.  Didn't want to redline   Kinda nice to run a race that's so short - it's over so quick LOL  Will get out for an easy peasy 6mi this morning at some point.  Actually, I'll make it a 10K for the badge   Who got me started on these Garmin things, anyway??  Oh speaking of...  it seems when I wear my watch on my inner wrist, at some point (maybe when it gets sweaty??) my heart rate shoots up.  Turn it around to how most people wear a watch and it normalizes.  I mean, there is NO WAY I was running with a HR in the 180s and still able to talk.  Does this happen to anyone else??

Been very much enjoying not working.  Haven't been doing much,  Read a book - Liane Moriarity's latest - The Apples Fall (or something like that).  I was really enjoying it but then it kept dragging on.  Like she had to go off on a tangent on every character.  Absolutely no plans today other than running.  Anyone watching any good shows?

Elina - glad we had some matinee NHL games for you!!    Crazy about the new variant.  One of my (former?) RBs from my old 'hood is from So Africa and still has family there.  Sometimes she goes back for the holidays.  Hoping she's not there now and gets stuck.

CC - 4-5 hours of cooking?!  Wow - rock star.  Smart to take it easy on the shin!  Awww so fun when the little start to become real people.  So, kinda funny, quite a while back I started following this woman on Twitter with your SAME NAME.  But, it's not you.  Her post yesterday gave me a double take haha.

Laura - awwww hope you had fun browsing the shops.  As much as I dislike shopping, that kind of browsing I rather enjoy.  The weather forecast for here is actually quite amazing.  I hope winter stays just like this!

Judy - hope you are feeling better!

Karen - oh man, that's so much moving!  Man, I guess I'm even more grateful for being such a minimalist haha.  And, I am only one person.  Though, I have collected more since moving.  Yikes on the car drama.  Hope you can settle into a new normal, soon!  What's up next for you?  Houston?

Cathy - hope you had a nice Thanksgiving at TFs.  I see you are doing workouts already.  What's next for you?  I think you said a 5K but your workouts look like marathon type?  But, what do I know.  Hope you've kicked that cold.

HCK - ugh on washing machine repair.  I'm too cheap to try those fancy shoes LOL

Lori - glad you were able to meet with your cardiologist!  Enjoy the extended time off work.

Kat - sorry for the work woes.  Hope you enjoyed your big Tom and have lots of leftovers!

Damaris - OMG there is NO WAY I could eat dinner at 9pm much less 10:30.  I would rather just go to bed LOL  Then, again, I'm sure YOU wouldn't want to wake up at 4 something hungry.

Sue - glad you had a lovely day with family.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

ccoakley

Sandy, I did a double take on your back to back 5ks!  Awesome job!  Breakfast buffet sounds so much better than cold bagels and bananas.  Always to fun to go back and rerun an old neighborhood, it definitely brings back memories, like visiting a former version of yourself.  I'm not really on social media...I don't have Facebook or Instagram, I have a twitter but only read the people I follow (who are 95% journalists and news organizations with some episimologists thrown in this last year).  I'm screwed for when I have to navigate this with my kids but for now I think it's better for my mental health.

Managed to run yesterday without hurting myself.  Not really sure what the plan is for today.  Maybe my 13, maybe push my 13 to tomorrow and do 6 today, or maybe give up on 13 and do 8-10 both days?  Maybe a RD cause I'm feeling lazy but hopefully more coffee will solve that.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Anonymous Guest

Good morning! I need these threads to tell me what day it is at this point. Another day, more stuff in the house. Which is good as it is raining here all day. Yesterday I ran 8 miles in the afternoon, which was most definitely needed. Then Riley had a vet appointment with his new vet. They are still doing curbside, so a tech talked to me in the parking lot and took him in, then the vet brought him out. He couldn't stop about how much he really really liked Riley. Said he could stand to lose a few pounds though.

Sandy, I had a fb memory a few years ago on what was either Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving, that there was nobody at the grocery store and I should do my Christmas shopping there. So maybe get some food at an actual grocery store instead of Target? Nice job on the 5ks! Yes, Houston is next for me. I have a local 5k in a couple weeks, sounded fun even though I don't drink (Bacon and Brews 5k), but mostly because it's at a park a couple miles from here that I can run to, so plan to run there as a warm up, do the race, then run home.

Last night we got the TV going. At the old house it was over the fireplace and a little farther from the couch. Here it looks SO big. Speaking of the house (because what else do I have to talk about), the main living area is set up pretty much the same as the old house, with one big room - living room in the back, dining area, then kitchen towards the front. In the old house, across from the kitchen was the guest bathroom and laundry/entrance to the garage. In this house, there is a closet, entrance to the laundry/garage, and a hall that goes to a bathroom and two bedrooms, and the closest bathroom is past the kitchen. I can't tell you how many times DH has opened that closet door (where the bathroom in our old house was) and announced "whoops! not gonna pee in the closet!!"

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have either 3 or 5. If the calf speaks like it did on the race, 3, but it feels fine right now.

And sadly, the weekend goes in the blink of an eye so I am expecting to blink and it will be Sunday at 7pm.

Sandy, nice job on the 5Ks!

CC, enjoy whichever you decide on.

Karen, glad you guys got internet going. Nice 8.

Damaris

Happy Saturday!  Worked Wednesday and Friday but it was nice having a break on Thursday.  Thanksgiving no. 1 was with brother's family on Thurs., Thanksgiving no. 2 was with neighbors last night, and we still have leftovers in the fridge, groan... Driving over to Palo Alto today for Notre Dame - Stanford foot ball game.  Meeting brother and friends ahead of time for tailgating.  Will need a few days to detox from booze and holiday eating after these past few days.  Or maybe I'll just call it training for Xmas?  

Sandy, nice 5k x 2!  I'd go for the breakfast buffet for sure!  I think Karen is right, boring old grocery stores are probably not busy now since they don't sell big screen TVs or other Xmas must-haves.  Go buy some food, girl!  Or, come visit my fridge.    No advice on Garmins, too judgmental and bossy for me. Re dog show, I think there should be a rule against the same dog winning more than once.

CC, enjoy your run or rest day.  Are the kiddos excited about Xmas?  More importantly, are there inflatable and lights up in your neighborhood yet?  It makes me really happy to see them.  Of course, we're the people who put up their lights the day after Halloween.

Karen, from here, it looks like you made lightening fast progress in getting your stuff out of boxes and into rooms, as opposed to in boxes and in the closets and garage (I think we still have a few of those and we moved here in 2004.  Yeah I know we should just toss them without even opening them, but what if that's where we stashed the Picasso or the Faberge egg?).

Damaris, hope the calf cooperates today!

Sorry to miss a bunch of stuff from earlier in the week.  I usually check at the end of the day but have no energy to respond.  Work has been a bear.

Any good Black Friday running deals?  I saw a few race discounts but nothing that made me bits.  Maybe there will be more on Cyber Monday.  Heading out for a short run then getting stuff together for the game.  I suppose I'm tapering for CIM next Sunday, but I've been sort of tapering for the past two months, too, so.... 

Have a great weekend, all!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Happy Saturday!

Today I ran a route I've not been on in awhile. Primarily because I usually head to Malden where Bertha and the parkway are. But I do like this route. For whatever reason I always feel fast on it. It's relatively flat but unless I'm on Bertha every route is flat around here so not sure why? And although my pace isn't what it used to be I still feel fast. It was a good run.

Sandy.... congrats on the two races. I can't wait to race again.

And congrats to everyone else who raced Turkey Trots or similar!

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Kilmisters

Update: booster dose next Friday evening! Slots were open starting from Monday, but I want to get it before weekend in case of side effects. Going w HB, back-to-back slots.

Update #2: considering March race in Ireland w Margaret! Not sure yet, because of the entire Covid situation and it also looks like the date would potentially make me miss play-off game(s) in case 1) schedule doesn't change due to pandemic 2) we make Final 4, both of which are big question marks. Also, I'd have to either have ridiculously long layover (6hrs in Oslo!) or go a day before Margaret and spent a day on my own in Ireland. Buuuut, I've never been to UK/IRE, so... 

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 miles this morninig and some strength training this afternoon. Now doing laundry and watching football. I dropped DH off at his old boss's house to watch the Michigan Ohio State game. Guy's granddaughter (not sure how old, maybe 8?) was also there. First sentence out of DH's mouth had an f-bomb Guy was cool, said just play it off.

Seloc, nice 5ks! The fancy shoes I got were actually cheaper than my usual Wave Riders. I got a second pair yesterday on the Black Friday deal from Holabird Sports for $77. Dog shows are weird, the judging is supposed to be based on each breed's standards, some are rather odd.

ccoakley, I signed up for a 5 mile trail race next weekend jus because it is near where I used to live. I did a lot of mountain biking there, I hope the trails are as kind and gentle as I remember them--I was able to bike everything in Rockburn Park. When I went across the road to Patapsco State Park, holy hills.

AnonymousGuest, yes! The grocery store was empty today. I just ran in for some boxed stuffing so I could make a Thanksgiving sandwich.

Docket, yea, I have checked my e-mail a few times and am not looking forward to Monday morning.

GatsbyBird, I got some new shoes on Black Fridal deals. There was also a discount code for the trail race. Atlantic City had some deals for their races as well, but I didn;t bite on that one.

BerthaSlayer, nice run! I have a few spots where it seems like I am faster than others. Not sure why, one is even on a slight uphill.

Kilmisters, I haven't scheduled my booster, but I plan on doing it during the week and taking sick time if needed since that is maxed out.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Working Weekend here...

Sandy, great on the 5K's.  I as well went to the grocery store today and it was painless.  How I spent $200 is beyond me.  Oh wait, wine...  Go figure.  Isn't not working just fabulous.  I was looking into the coast of Spain yesterday.  Malaga area, specifically Estepona.  Just day dreaming for now.  For now.  Since I have Galapagos and Madagascar planned, it is still pushed to 2023.  It would be awesome if you joined for a bit.

CC, love your indecision on how much to run!  You cooked for way too long on Thursday, but I bet it was nice.

Karen, glad DH was against peeing in the closet.  You have been so busy with the move.  Wow.

Damaris, yes, the weekends go far too quickly.  Why can't work fly by????

Margaret, I hope the game and tailgating fun is good and ND wins.  There were some deals from our local race company (Tejas Trails - Rocky Raccoon/Bandera) but I didn't sign up for any.  Kinda need to exercise for that...

Lori, fast is a blast!!!  Good job.

Elina, awesome on the booster.  I am happy to have mine.  Which vaccine did you get and which are you getting Friday?

Kathi, funny about DH/f-bomb.  Something I would do.  So embarrassing.

Worked this morning at my regular job - I always hate it and got super depressed over it today.  Came home and just went to bed and napped for about 90 minutes.  I work tomorrow too at the vaccine clinic.  Feeling a bit better though after the nap.

So this weekend was Cape Town Ultra - Courtney Dauwalter raced/won for the females.  Cool, she is my idol and girl crush.  I hope she gets home OK because the US is closing to South Africa on Monday.  Can you imagine getting stuck indefinitely!

Watching silly movies now and will open a Chardonnay when it is cold - it's in the freezer.  Then more turkey.  And more, and more.  Tom turned out pretty well considering I fell asleep on cooking him.

Be well all you lovelies.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

LC Runs

4 mile run and upper body workout.

Kids and I met my mom for lunch, was really nice getting together!  Drive home was sketchy, it started snowing on our drive there and then started sticking by the time we left the restaurant.  But, it was only for about 1/2 the drive - my mom said the same for her drive (she goes the opposite direction). Ugh to winter.

Sandy - I could get used to 4 day weekends, for sure.  Nice running for you!!  Yes, I am so not an in person shopper but it was not bad going downtown (and we live in a small town so like 2 blocks LOL).

CC - you are doing some awesome mileage, Girl!!  Probably a great decision to stay off of social media as long as possible!

Karen - your DH cracks me up!  Glad you are settling in!!   Part of me wants to move but it just all seems so overwhelming 

Damaris - I know, weekends go by so fast, no matter how long they are!  Hope you had a good run!

Margaret - sounds like a fun and busy weekend!  I can't believe CIM is next weekend!

Lori - nice run!!

Kathi - UM v OSU game was on at the place we went for lunch (Older DS went to UM for two years) - lots of loud cheers going on LOL!

Elina - whoo hoo on the booster appt!!

Kat - a nap and wine always helps after a crap day!

Kilmisters

Kat, first two doses were Pfizer, so 3rd is going to either be Pfizer #3 or Moderna (half-dose).

Heyyooo! 12.5km easy for me today + strength workout. Lots of mud w snow melting, then another layer, melting again, on repeat. 12.5km sounds very specific, but I wanted linear transition from 10km last week and planned 15km next week, haha. Not sure whether reaction to 3rd dose (Friday) will make it possible, tho; but maybe Sunday? Long runs are the ones I really don't want to skip.

Morning started with watching floorball, tho, Women World Championship: Latvia-Poland. We lost and the performance was abysmal. It was clear our girls were simply slower/weaker physically. Not that long ago we were capable of beating Poland w/o any problem. Sigh.

Lazy day, probably another NHL matinee as the only evening plan (Carolina - New York at 8pm).

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Anonymous Guest

13 for me this morning. Didn't seem like a good idea to run more than that since I only ran a total of 13 miles the rest of the week. Things just might be starting to get a little more normal though, so will hopefully build back up over the next week or two.

Big house update: someone moving into the neighborhood in a month took a bunch of our boxes, then some other dude looking for boxes on the town fb page came by yesterday and took the rest. So much better with probably 70-80 boxes gone! DH is putting wall mounts up for bicycles this afternoon. I'm cooking a turkey, which is pretty darn easy once you fish the stuff out of the inside....it's just sitting in the oven.

Margaret, we still have quite a bit to do, but we have made really good progress. I don't know who won the game yesterday but I hope it was ND!

Lori, nice speedy run! I no longer have ANY flat routes - used to be all I had.

Elina, yay on the booster appointment and even bigger yay on possible race with Margaret in Ireland.

HCK, my DH does that all the time (dropping the f bomb around little kids). He doesn't even notice.

Kathryn, sorry your job is depressing. Naps make everything better. Hey, I know it's pretty far in advance, but with all your amazing travel plans, any interest in coming up to IL and crewing for me beginning of October next year? I'm hoping to go sub-24 in the 100. October 1-2 I think is the weekend. If that's not excitement enough, the finish is only a couple hours from where I grew up and my entire family lives. So basically in the middle of nowhere.

Laura, it seems way too early for sketch driving conditions due to snow! Fun to meet up with your mom for lunch.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon! I ran 3 in windy conditions (again). My asthma i lower than normal but not as bad as if I run without covering my mouth against the wind. So there is that.

Sad the long weekend is over. Sigh.

Damaris

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Karen; I leave for Madagascar on the 3rd…. But, it’s not a no to go. 

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024