Womens Running

Wish Upon A Star WEDNESDAYS! (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Seloc

Karen - EXCELLENT point re: everyone wearing a Garmin so there is more awareness of short courses.  I would have to agree!!  And, I literally laughed out loud (my coworker turned and looked at me haha) reading "then I remember I hate people"  LOL that does sound like me to a point.  Though lately I've begun turning into my mother - I strike up conversations with strangers!  Oh the horror!  I used to be mortified as a kid when she did that.  I guess I need a tiny bit more personal interaction.  And, quite frankly, quite bored with myself in evenings.  The job I previously had was backroom - mostly pulling stock - so minimal customer interaction.  Thanks, too - yes, after MX things WILL get better!!

Cathy - ugh on your sippery winter weather!  Sorry for sending it your way.  It passed through here fairly quickly so fingers crossed the trucks will be out salting/sanding before 4pm.  Awwww poor pupper!  That would hurt to have salt/sand on bare paws!

Judy - I love how you have so many gym pals!  Nice you have a buddy in DC to hang with.  Do you have holiday plans?  Does your son come home?

Diane - how's the back feeling?  PLENTY of time to ramp up for April race - I have confidence in you!!

Bag monster got me this morning.

Karen--I was wondering why they did not have someone manning the turn arounds? At least they did not have a person at the HM turn around and someone could have easily cut the course. Big stink on the news last night about it.  Check out WLOX.com Yes, garmins and Strava are very useful in situations like this. One of the race directors tried to blame it on satellite error at first.  Really??

Leaving for Texas tomorrow.  Thank goodness!!!  I nearly had a melt down at work yesterday.  She drives me crazy!!

Lizzie--sorry about the tire.  Maybe buy a used tire for a spare for your car to keep as a spare?

Later!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Karen, an RD that starts doubting people and saying the wrong thing is sad.  He should have said we're investigating, etc. and not attack from the start.

Susan, oh, that bag monster...

Damaris

Arimathea

Tessa

Lizzie, shooting stars will peak tomorrow morning -- it's the Geminids meteor shower. Hope your wishes come true! It's debris left behind by an asteroid and they peak in early December, like the Perseids on August 12 and the Leonids on November 15th which are both dust clouds left by comets.

On the help, if it was me who had helped a coworker change a tire (or do something else I know how to do) I would be pleased to get cookies as a thank-you, a little taken aback to be given money.

Sandy, staying away from the wine is a challenge for me too. Although sometimes DD is helpful and drinks it all for me. She is enjoying being in CA where Mom often buys the wine, though she does her share of beverage shopping.

Tell your doctor she is mistaken, almost 49 is certainly within the realm of perimenopause if not full on menopause. Is there a word that means the opposite of menarche? Like menoSTOP rather than menoPAUSE? (Why do they call it that, anyway? The damn periods had better not come back!)

I think most of us are members of the Honorable Order of the Mailbox -- as in we've hit one.

Diane, I can't fathom a lot of the times people do. Like at a trail out-and-back when you get passed by the first people coming back and you are nowhere near the halfway point. How do they DO that?

Judy, 13 laps to the mile? Ugh. Wasn't that the one where you had creepy people constantly trying to "steady" you by grabbing you? (Hope you have posted your #MeToo moments.)

Cathy, logging food does help. Logging drink even more. And if you can't figure out how to log it, you have probably drunk too much.

Kettlebell Kickboxing? Go for it, as long as you don't kick the kettlebell by mistake. That would not be good for your toes.

You're right, GPS has identified courses that might not have been ID'd as short before. Although I get annoyed by the people who come in complaining that their GPS says the course was 26.3. Yes, it probably was, unless you ran perfect tangents.

Karen, you are so right the fix a flat things don't work on all tire problems. One time I hit some construction debris on the freeway and my tire looked like a bowl of black spaghetti by the time I limped to the shoulder. No way was that going to be solved by Fix a Flat. AAA guy tossed the old one in the trunk after putting on the donut, I drove 3 miles to Costco tire center, and the technician there said "oh, your tire was fairly new, so we'll try to fix it rather than selling you a whole new one". I said there was no way that tire was fixable. He opened the trunk, looked at it, and said "You're right. It's not." BTW, that tire in New York, was that fixable or did you have to get a new one in the end?

Bah on the jackets. I agree, make them blue and yellow each year as an option -- yes there are probably some people who don't want a blue and yellow one year after year, but those who only qualify once would like the classic blue and yellow jacket! Hope the beef arrives safely. DD would be very interested in the Texas Beef Team except for two minor problems: 1) we don't live in Texas, and 2) she doesn't run.

Damaris, neat on the space station, especially the (literal) "heads up" text.

End of page #1...

Arimathea

Tessa

Bag monster? Bed monster, maybe, or mattress magnet or arse anchor. Susan, how long will you be in TX? Sorry your colleague is still driving you nuts.

4 miles this morning, wind has died down a little but there's more coming. Saw one shooting star. Hoping for more tomorrow. And as I was coming back I was waiting at the main intersection, there was a car in the left turn lane, arrow turned green and he just sat there. Honks and yells ensued. He was so busy staring at his phone that he couldn't even glance up to see he had the green light, and the sensor detected a car in the lane so it wasn't going to change until that car had gone. How to annoy lots of people in one easy lesson.

And in honor of the state of Alabama's election yesterday, I wore my First Light Marathon shirt this morning!

Meetings and conference calls today, class tonight. And I hope RN wants to go on a lights run Friday evening, because that is the ONLY evening I have free between now and Christmas Day. Seriously,

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL, Tessa.  Kicking the kettlebell is something I would do...

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Bag monster? Bed monster, maybe, or mattress magnet or arse anchor. Susan, how long will you be in TX? Sorry your colleague is still driving you nuts.

4 miles this morning, wind has died down a little but there's more coming. Saw one shooting star. Hoping for more tomorrow. And as I was coming back I was waiting at the main intersection, there was a car in the left turn lane, arrow turned green and he just sat there. Honks and yells ensued. He was so busy staring at his phone that he couldn't even glance up to see he had the green light, and the sensor detected a car in the lane so it wasn't going to change until that car had gone. How to annoy lots of people in one easy lesson.

And in honor of the state of Alabama's election yesterday, I wore my First Light Marathon shirt this morning!

Meetings and conference calls today, class tonight. And I hope RN wants to go on a lights run Friday evening, because that is the ONLY evening I have free between now and Christmas Day. Seriously,

Woot!

Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Sandy – I LOVE THAT IDEA. Seriously. LOVE the Target idea. And you are right – it is fun! When I was single and living alone a few years ago..I had a full time job and waited tables part time. I probably mentioned that before. I was doing maybe 3 nights a week..but it was fun for me. It kept me busy. And like you said, got me out of the house. I don’t know what I would have done with myself if I hadn’t had that job! I made new friends..I looked forward to running around and getting a free dinner. LOL. It was super fun. I miss it a lot sometimes. I think that would be an awesome thing for you to do! I think it would motivate you, also. When I was working doubles, I was still up early hitting the gym! There is something to be said about “an object in motion stays in motion”..hehe the opposite of what you said earlier – but its true! Love love this idea. I am sure they would take you back! You may have motivated me to do the second job thing.

Diane – Awe, thanks for the sweet words! I defiantly don’t think I am amazing at it. I am trying though! Sometimes after doing a tough race you get in a rut. It has happened to me several times. It will come back! Fruitarian?! I had to google that. I guess she gets plenty of fiber!! Ha.

Judy – Ugh, I would get annoyed with the pool smell! Attacking curbs..sheesh. I never understood the islands in the parking lot. Trust me, I have ran over my fair share. I guess I was just LUCKY before. How much snow are you slated to get?!

Cathy – Awe, poor pup!! Ruger does the same thing! Actually he does it when the ground is wet, too. If there is snow on the ground we have little boots for him. Smile Awe, nothing beats puppy snuggles. Hopefully you are able to get in the work out today! I am interested to hear how that one is. Have you done that one before??

Karen – OMG. HOW FRUSTRATING about your car!!! I totally get it. LOL at the “mansplaining” hahahaha. Well now I am second guessing even getting a spare. Maybe I should just keep a new tire in the back. Cutie pie engineer is going to look into it for me. I did not know that about the government but not surprising. Those cars that auto shut off scare me. LOL at your comment to Sandy “I think about trying the seasonal thing but then I remember I hate people”. So true. And people are awful around the holidays. Retail is tough! I hope the roast makes it to you today! Salmon and Maroon, really? Ew. Hope all goes well at the doctor.

Docket – Sorry for the headache! Exciting that you are running outside! WOOHOOO!! Agree on your comment about the RD.

Susan – YES. I am thinking of keeping a tire in my trunk. Is the TX trip work related? UGH sorry for the meltdown…

Tessa –AH, yes I saw on the news that it was TONIGHT. So maybe my wishes will come true after all! Woohoo! LOL at the menostop comment. I get so mad when people are glued to their phones on the road! What is a lights run? Is that where you go to watch all the Christmas lights? Sounds fun! Wow, you are busy!!! Is this normally your busy time?

Such a boring day today! I am kind of in a funk..I think it was just yesterdays fiasco and looking at my bank account today. LOL. It would help if work was busy. I feel like the day just drags on and on and on.

Have a great night everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

dhuffman63

Trails

Sandy my back still hurts a little.  Lisa told me she used to have issues too and got deep tissue massages that appears to have helped along with core work.  Since I have a massage on Sat anyway I'm going to have her give that a try.  The stuff she did for my PF appears to have worked.

Sue, sorry your boss is such a witch.  Enjoy TX.

Tessa, lol on the kettlebells, like Damaris I'd be kicking them.  I want to try some but I'm so clumsy they may be dangerous.

Arimathea

Tessa

Diane, kettlebells scare me too. I have come very close to dropping them on my foot on occasion. And when you pick them up with sweaty hands they are slippery!

Damaris, have you done First Light, or another Alabama race?

Surprised editors have resisted the headline "Alabama to Moore: "**** You...And the Horse You Rode In On"

Liz, yes, the starshower peaks tonight. A lights run is when you and as many of your friends as you can round up run through a neighborhood or two and look at all the decorations. Fun thing to do just before Christmas, especially if you go out or have a party after the run!

Anonymous Guest

Cathy, Riley says one is never too big to be a lap dog. Funny on the short course and pacers, Susan and I were talking the day before the race about all our bad pace group experience. Since she ran the half, she had to wait quite awhile for me to finish, and mentioned that she saw every pacer come in 4-5 minutes early, confirming our "too many of them go out too fast" theory. Later when I looked at my results on Strava, I looked at other people that ran the marathon to see if they were all short on distance (Strava shows you people that ran near you on a particular route). One of them was the 3:45 pacer. He did run the first few miles a little fast (not much, just a few seconds), but after that was spot on every mile. He titled his run something like the obviously short marathon.

Diane, I wonder the same thing about the news. The 24/7 news can just get depressing. Is the world just so awful now, or are we just hearing more about it now than we could when we got a half hour of national/world news and a half hour of local news.

Damaris, sucky on the headache but yay!!!! on the running weather. On the beef, as an incentive to wear the Beef Team shirt in races, you get points for wearing it in races that aren't on their sponsored/reimbursable list or for volunteering wearing a beef shirt or doing educational things. 50 points gets you a credit toward more gear and a holiday roast. 100 points gets you all that plus a Beef Team yeti cup. I don't know what else you get for more points because I have 100 points for 2017. But my holiday roast is still sitting in a UPS facility somewhere in Houston due to "operational delays."

Sandy, backroom/stock - that would be much better. With my luck I'd get stuck as a cashier. Laughing at you turning into your mother - my mom was never like that, but I am getting that way! Especially the three months I was down here before DH moved down - I was talking to the grocery store cashier, people in line, the UPS guy, you name it!

Susan, drive safe tomorrow and have a great time with the family! I wondered the same thing about the turnaround, they needed volunteers and a timing mat to catch people that might cut it short. Not that that would have helped in this situation, but still.

Tessa, had to replace that tire. And of course get an alignment. Ugh on the guy on the phone. There is nothing so important on a phone that you need to look at it when you're behind the wheel! I hope you and RN get a lights run in.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

Okay, now thinking about the Louisiana Marathon for 2019. It's always the same weekend as Houston so I've never considered it even though people seem to love it and it's only a 4.5 hour drive from here. And I don't have the state. And the RD from Sunday's race sent an email with a code for free entry into the race. I had heard they were offering that, but since I"m running the half at Houston that doesn't work for me. Plus I don't really want to do another full that soon. Then I got to the line in the email that said the free entry could be used for the 2019 Louisiana Marathon as well. In fact, it's good for both the marathon (or half) on Sunday and the 5K or quarter marathon the day before. Anybody want to do the Louisiana Marathon with me in January 2019? Or with my recent luck, anyone thinking about running the Louisiana Marathon in 2019 might want to reconsider!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Half Crazy K 2.0

Got off work early, so able to actually run when the sun was out. The had to come home to try to figure out how to word an e-mail. There is a dead cat along my route. No collar. I saw a sign on a light pole for a missing cat, dead cat fits the description. So I sent an e-mail basically say hope it isn't your cat, here's the exact location.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Been horridly sick all day.  Made it 90 minutes at work and left.  In bed/on couch all day sleeping.  Fever/chills/nausea etc...  Oh yeah, and a cold to boot.  Still  likely have a fever, but the chills have passed.  Tried chicken soup, body wasn't too keen on food.  I have tomorrow off, I kinda needed to make a decision earlier so they could get coverage.

Skimmed some personals.

Karen, I am doing Louisiana next year.  i was signed up for this year coming year, but deferred to 2019.

That is the extent of my energy.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Forgive me Karen, for I have sinned.  8 miles @ 10:10mm with 6 miles of those at MP or faster.  I am just not used to running in 60F.

Tessa, no AL race yet.  I was more happy about the election, lol.  Not sure which race I'll choose there as it will need to have a HM with it, so the one that happened last weekend won't be it.

Karen, I have heard great things about the LA Marathon.  Nice on the roast.

Half Crazy, yay for running in the daylight.

Kathryn, oh, no!  Feel better!

Damaris