Womens Running

TGIF (dailies) (Read 21 times)

Kilmisters

Hi, everyone!

Lazy poster, but I have been keeping up w your posts Smile Usually ''first thing in the morning'' habit while making coffee.

Seriously, TGIF. We had Wednesday off, but it only made things worse, disrupting weekly balance right at month end/start, which is usually a nightmare as it is. Yesterday I just finished all the files my boss needed for today's big monthly meeting and left an hour early to have some beer. Might do the same after  today's meeting. Not a good habit, but calms the nerves.

Then, 10k in pouring rain.

Answering yesterday's QOTD re:nutrition: post-run isotonic drink if it's really warm outside; maybe chocomilk if the workout is particularly intense (long tempo, for instance).

New QOTD: gel usage during LRs/races. I have never done it, but for no other reason than not being sure it would help. But you don't know w/o trying, right? I know it differs person to person, but what are your habits (using them at all yes/no, starting at what distances, frequency, timing of first one etc.)?

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

TGIF indeed. I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow. Took a rest day yesterday, DH's truck died, so I had to pick him up after work. Seloc & someone else had asked what's next for me. Good question. I'm not registered for anything at the moment. My friend is registered for the MD Half on 6/8. I'm considering it, but won't decide til about a week out to see what the weather is. Not running a half in 90 degrees. Other than that, I figure I'll pick some 5ks out.

Gels do not agree with me. I'm ok with the shot blocks. I actually carried fig newtons when I did my full. They were great, especially after burping up gels for 10 miles prior.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  On our way to Wisconsin. Sadly, my vacation is over and I start work again Monday. Boo.

Damaris

Since I know I won't be here for the May for Fourth be with you jokes....

Liz-and I was all ready to suggest a September marathon... in Michigan.. on a trail. LOL

Karen-the 100k at Woodstock is a good 100 mile training run too since it starts at 4pm on Friday., same as the 100 milers but you get to be done sooner. LOL  The 50 mile and 50k have same time allowed so the 50k is ample but you wouldn't have any problem with the 50 mile time out there. the little bit of trail (about 1/2 of each loop would provide enough to slow you down and get used to more walking/slow jogging)... I think that would be good. Whatever you decide, you'll rock it.

margaret-I need Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, Wyoming and Colorado (if we are pushing "west" coast definition). I have a brother in Seattle. Next year I get back to earning states. This was pretty much a year off from that. NO new states being added!

Tessa-is that a trick question about yourself with the wine?  

Cathy-wtg on the rainy run! LOL on Dd's girls' weekend. We used to have those too.

Carol-I just take a multi-vitamin.

Sandy-well don't ask how we do it since it hasn't been done yet. ha! And I still need Minnie-soda. perhaps something a bit less strenuous than the Superior Trail though. But I would do the marathon there, just nothing longer since the cut offs were so tight... and not in a cute Minnesota boy way.

Damaris-work definitely gets in the way of getting things done. You and Krispy Kreme. LOL

Sue-hope you get those tough runs in. I try not to schedule them.. they just seem to occur on their own.

Lori-see you out there! We are driving in the morning since it's only 45 minutes away and it's not like the start will be too crazy. I'm trying to actually picture what the start of an event that only has a 24 hour "race" will look like... seeing people sitting in chairs reluctantly getting up to start walking. slowly. Bwahaha. This will be fun!

Day of rest because ... well you know... tomorrow and Sunday. There will be pancakes at the end. Fancy pancakes by a company that is known for flipping them through the air and making a show of it. I'm sure that after 24 hours I will be duly impressed.

May the Force be with me tomorrow. LOL

Lisa

New QOTD: gel usage during LRs/races. I have never done it, but for no other reason than not being sure it would help. But you don't know w/o trying, right? I know it differs person to person, but what are your habits (using them at all yes/no, starting at what distances, frequency, timing of first one etc.)?

I only use them during races if I am pushing pace. They are a tool to get you to the end. Did use during the 100k but only a couple and that was around 2-3am for the caffeine boost and extra shot of energy. Had a couple during Glass City since, you know, lame road races don't serve grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas for us. There wasn't even any cheddar Pringles out there (Karen's fav during her race). 

I will probably do the same for the 24 hour but kind of want to just skip them completely as a part of my "let's see what happens" experiment. Stick to Coke, coffee and naturally occurring caffeine. They don't do too big of a number on my stomach during a race but the day after.. blech.

There is sort of a sweet spot for when they actually taste good (2-3am). I'm going to sound really full of myself here but if you totally hate them and won't touch them you probably haven't run long enough. I would say to try one about an hour into a 2 hour run.

Lisa

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I use Gu every LR and race. I used to not take one gel but some sub-3 marathoner told me that he takes 6 during the race so I started taking more of them and do 5 per marathon or 1 gel per 5 miles.

Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

6.2 for me!

Felt good out there! Not weather wise, but physically. My hamstrings are just about back to normal. My foot..well, babying it. Good run! I was speedy out there considering the temps!

SO glad today is Friday! I have a massage after work today! Excited for that. We have a fun weekend ahead. A fun, lowkey weekend. We are doing our registry tomorrow and then going out for date night. HCF got a bonus for doing all that overnight work 😊

Will have a busy day today. Have to plan my travel for next week! At least they got my pay right this time! The retro isn’t included but almost don’t even think its worth it to fight for that.

Docket – Aw, I am sorry about your grandfather ☹ That just makes me EXTRA glad I went yesterday. Have a safe trip to Wisconsin!!!

Kilmisters – Nice rainy run!! I am also interested in your QOTD! I am always interested in trying new fuels! Gels do not really work well for me. Though, Cathy gave me one to try that she heard good things about. I will have to grab it when I go downstairs and write down the name. But those gels might make me a faster runner! Who knows.

Run4kupcakes – I was going to say..a half on 6/8?! But hey, the weather might work out for that. I was thinking the same thing – doing some 5K’s and 10K’s locally.

Lisa -  GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND! Can’t wait to hear about it. Those pancakes will be well earned!

Happy FRIDAY!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Kilmisters

Kilmisters – Nice rainy run!! I am also interested in your QOTD! I am always interested in trying new fuels! Gels do not really work well for me. Though, Cathy gave me one to try that she heard good things about. I will have to grab it when I go downstairs and write down the name. But those gels might make me a faster runner! Who knows.

See, this is my train of thought too. I have lived w/o them so far (at least up to 14mi distances), but...

1) Not having tried them, who knows, maybe they would make a difference 10+miles in.

2) That 14mi max distance will soon be increased

Then again, it's one more thing to worry about and maybe it's not necessary to overcomplicate stuff. Might try them next weekend. Don't want to bother going to store which sells them this eve to try the gels during tomorrow's LR.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

14 miles is different than 18-20 and marathons. You can run 14 without fuel but once you reach 15, you might need something to keep your energy up.

Damaris

Bikerchick1

Elina - Wednesday off always feel like there are two Monday’s in the week!  Chocolate mile seems to be popular for post run nutrition.

HCK -  Weather is so unpredictable this time of year, don’t blame you for waiting till the last minute to decide.

Damarias - Enjoy Wisconsin!

Lisa - Can’t wait to hear about this adventure!!!

Lizzie - Ugh, on passing out yesterday...not surprising tho, a shock I’m sure to see him.  Good that you went tho, know it was so hard to do. Glad you had a good run today!

Laura - Found so many new podcasts!  Thanks for that helpful info!

Had an enjoyable run yesterday.  Listened to a podcast and the miles just went by!

Thanks for all the answers yesterday, interesting not much supplement/vitamin use among this group!

QOTD - I’m a definite GU user.  They don’t bother my stomach at all.  For my Marathons I usually switch it up and have little pieces of cliff bar or fig newtons that I will alternate with GUs, usually on the hour, I really like the GU rock tans with some caffeine.

Carol

Anonymous Guest

QOTD: I take gels, usually about every 5 miles (so 45 minutes or less) in a marathon. I usually don't in shorter races, although a lot of the time I take a gel with me for a half, I usually don't take it. Your body will have enough for fuel for 1.5-2 hours of running, after that taking something will help. If your stomach can tolerate gels, they are great because they give you the most bang for your buck.

QOTD from yesterday: In addition to my multi vitamin and probiotics, I think I'm going to try adding in BCAAs. Carol, have you read the book ROAR by Stacy Sims? I think you'd like it. My library had it, I skipped the parts about running before/during period, etc., and went straight to the menopause section. I now follow her on facebook - she posts a lot of good nutrition stuff.

Nothing much planned for me today. DH is working from home since the landscapers are coming back to finish and he wants to see it while they're still here. I'm trying to decide on a weekend plan - storms are coming through this afternoon and overnight so I was planning on nothing for Saturday morning. But now the good weather guy says they'll be through and to our east by 7 am. A bunch of my walkers are doing a 5K put on by our school district, but I don't know if my ego will let me do that and not try to win.

Back later for personals.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Bikerchick1

Karen - I have been reading about BCAA’s.  I have not read that book, but I will, thanks for the suggestion!   Thinking it wou,d be hard for you not to “race”...

Lisa - Minnie-soda... of course in my head hearing Sandy 

Carol

Seloc

Gotta make this quick.  I have 6 plus hours of corporate training that I hope to bang out today.  Blech.  But, will be happy to get it done!  If I'm not interrupted that is.  TRX/Bells class plus run there and back.  Ooof my quads will be sore tomorrow.  Did a million pistol squats!  Still so dang chilly here - 36* this morning.  Hard to believe it is so warm elsewhere in the country.

Karen - I LOLed at "don't know if my ego will let me do that".  Clearly, you need gramma's ego and just shuffle along.  Glad you are enjoying your rest week and still riding that high!

Elina - ditto to what Karen said.  I do gels in a marathon every 5ish miles.  It REALLY seems to help in the races in which I am undertrained.  I like the caffeinated ones early in the race and also alternate between fruit flavored and sweet flavored - ex: berry / caramel.  In the half last weekend I did a caf at mile 5 and a non-caf at 10 and that was great.  Like Lisa, they do tend to bother my stomach after the fact - later in that day/next day.  What about drinks?  You could get by on that as well.  I'm thinking of giving Cytomax a try.

Lizzie - glad you were able to see your grandpa.  Yikes on the fainting.  Perhaps you need more water?  You mentioned a killer headache the day before.  With all your driving around, I suspect you aren't hydrating as much with your disdain for potty stops?  Ummmm Lakefront is two weeks before wedding.  Everything will be ready by then, right??   As for driving / flying...  I could (should?) drive as it's about 41/2-5hrs (I think - Cathy can correct me) but I really despise driving.  And the thought of coming home after sounds gross.  Otherwise I'd spend another night and take Monday off.  But, I found a flight I could get in Sat morning and leave Sunday evening (home by 9pm) for $236.  Saves a hotel night ($150) plus gas seems like it's almost a better deal.  All this research and I still haven't decided.  I'll decide by month end when prices go up.  But, there is NO WAY I could cheer Cathy on.  She will finish an hour ahead of shufflin gramma here!

Damaris - good luck this weekend!  You GOT this!

Lisa - good luck to YOU!

Cathy - haha of course you and Lizzie would run for the Badgers!  And the Badgers would win   How was the concert?  Apparently she is coming here next!

Oh, fast girls surgery went well yesterday.  Turns out it was NOT a recurrence of thyroid cancer but, rather, hyperparathyroid (or something like that).  Removed the tumor and she should be good to go.

I best get after these trainings.  Have a great weekend!!

Seloc

Missed you, Carol!  LOL on Minnie-soda.  Ya ya - the accent won't go away.  Until I move to a warmer climate??  Great job jumping into marathon training!  How far this weekend?

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Ackkkkkk

Good morning

I suck at fueling during long races but do take gels if I remember to bring them. I've also tried dates and figs and maple syrup.  I just hate carrying them so tend to "forget" them. Hence I often bonk

Tomorrow is the BIG race and my ride can't decide if she wants to go up tonight or tomorrow.  I do prefer to sleep in my own bed tonight and not in a tent. Omg I need my own car. I haven't run a step since Sunday and last night my legs felt so heavy and tired. I'm nervous as hell. This race as you know is my litmus test to see if I can indeed try for September 100 mile.

Let me know if there are any plans on destination races for next year. I wowou love to meet again. I wish I could have stayed longer this past weekend but had promised my daughter to be home by evening and had to bolt afterward. The drawback of being so slow

Sorry I can't do personals as I'm on my phone. I will try to get my laptop up and running (it's ancient and temperamental) and try to get back to personals next week.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**