Womens Running

Wah Wah Wednesdays (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

ITS TOO HOT. ENOUGH SUMMER! ENOUGH!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

13.4 for me this morning. I did 3x 2 miles/.40 rest.

OMG. Thats all I can say about this run. LOL. No, really. I am surprised I made it through alive. 74 dewpoint with a feels like temperature of 84. UGGGHHHH it was like a massive wall of heat hit me in the face when I walked out the door. I had to channel my inner Texan. Wink Did OK on the intervals. I was by NO means where I would like to be on those intervals, but I was a couple minutes faster than my "humid easy run" pace so I am happy with that. I was a sweaty mess and chafed under my arms. I usually put moisturizer on and that helps with the chafe under my arms, but I think it was just so hot it came off with my sweat! Its done and I can rest tomorrow!

Took Ruger to daycare today. He was just sitting by the door wagging his tail and crying because he wanted to go play. His boo boo is scabbed over pretty good, so I figured lets give it a go. The daycare was SOO happy to see him! He seemed very surprised to see me so I think he thought we weren't going to come back. Ruger loves it there - HCF and I understand things happen sometimes. Plus, with the heat advisory today, they won't be spending much time out there playing.

Stalking the weather for Friday morning. Hoping we don't get the thunderstorms..but I want ALL. THE. RAIN. during my LR!! Smile No real cooling off in sight for us..despite the cold front coming through. It will be 91 instead of 98. Thats the cold front. WTF. Okay, I will stop bitching about the weather. Maybe. Wink

Run4kupcakes – Its so awful out there. Nice job pushing through!

Susan – YAY!! Glad she liked the project!!

Docket – Aw, I hope you are feeling better today!

Lisa – OOO candlelight yoga sounds nice! I bet that felt good. Do you get massages? Love what you said to Karen. I have a hard time walking – just mean to myself about it.  I want to keep my running shape for the wedding – nothing wrong with that! I laughed out loud on the mountain lion. LOL!!!! I am going to tell people that! HA.

Sandy - I was thinking about you this morning. You are your perfect weather. I HATE YOU. Smile

Happy Wednesday everyone! Looking forward to TACOS for dinner!!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Howdy! Group power this morning. Meeting in the next town(Diane--I'll be in Ocean Springs at the research lab on the beach. Smile, so I'm headed over there shortly. Back to the office and a conference call this afternoon. Should make the day pass quickly.

Lisa, .

Damaris--hope you are feeling better.

Lizzie--great steamy run. Hope Ruger has a good day.

Later!

dhuffman63

Trails

Lizzie how about this for my event this weekend:

Saturday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 74.

Sunday

Sunny, with a high near 92.

Course right now I'm sitting in my office with 2 sweaters on freezing thanks to the AC.  I did 3 last night, will do another 3 today, then 3 on Thu then take Fri and Sat off. Boy Howdee it'll be hot.

Susan I liked Ocean Springs downtown area.  We took my mom to the art museum last year when I went with DD, SIL and DGD.  I was so happy to read your boss finally liked something.  She's quite the piece of work.

ginnyb

I am finding that I need at least an hour "up and awake" time these days before exercise.  Needless to say I overslept this morning, so I had a TURD!   This time Dixie was up most of the night vomiting, that is such a pleasant sound in the middle of the night.  So....had to get up and see if she was okay and the clean up.  It's like  having a child in the house again.  I think she is fine, seemed ok this morning , although she didn't eat, but acting normal.  Guess she ate something that didn't agree. It is still very warm and humid here this morning, but supposed to have cold front moving in later this afternoon.  Granddaughter has a big soccer game with their biggest rival tonight, so I hope storms don't interfere, but I have a feeling they may be postponed, not the storms, the game.

Liz...sorry about the weather, but you got in done, just like you always do!  Relief is coming soon for you too.  Glad Ruger went to doggie care today.

Damaris...hope you feel better today.

I will be back later.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Arimathea

Tessa

Posting from the airport. I got here way early, arrived at 5:30 and we're not boarding until 7:10. Trouble is if I left even 30 minutes later I would be cutting it too close. I have to drive to Van Nuys and then catch the airport bus which takes 35-40 minutes leaving at 4:45 and can easily take 90 minutes leaving at 5:30.

Did make it to the gym yesterday, 3.7 miles.

Diane, I do need Missouri, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. I have Kansas. Fall -- I always have to think about classes and also about the CPCU annual meeting. Pumpkin Holler sounds possible, not this year though. $$.

Lisa, for November, there is one November 17 not 10 miles from my house:

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=57765

This is in the mountains just south of us -- we drove up to the old missile site, remember?

You are welcome to stay in our guest room. If Abhay wants to come too I can put you two in the master bedroom (king as opposed to the full in the guest room). RN and RNDH are heading up one of the aid stations.

Karen, it is fun hearing about all your baby runners!

Cathy, it's a lot easier changing the inside of the house than the outside, especially if you would have to do serious yard grading or wait for trees to grow. And not having a mortgage sounds wonderful...it's going to be a long time before that happens here.

Liz, Sandy and Damaris are not the only ones who have kit kats. Lisa has one. I have three. I think Diane has both dogs and cats. And horses.

Glad Ruger is not feeling too sorry for himself with the staple!

Susan, sorry your running group has fizzled out. But you have DH to run with, right?

Ginny, hope work gets a bit easier.

No run today and probably won't get one. I may walk the terminals but that's all.

Gorgeous sunrise out of the window of the airport! Red sky at morning, sailors take warning...

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Sue, gas station skimmers are epidemic in OH. I always go in and pay cash.

Lizzie, sorry about Ruger’s scuffle. Not only do dogs bite, but sometimes human day cares have the same problems with kids. Oh yeah, I had a yoga teacher who put strands of those tiny Christmas lights at the front mirror and then turned the lights out. It was great!

Tuesday it was getting hot early so I struck out and found my buddy. I had done my 50 minutes of running and wanted to add walking to the mix. We did 40 minutes before she went to her car. She told me that when we saw the 2 deer last week and I had seen just the legs of a 3rd, it turned out to have been a buck with a great big rack. She had to go past him to get to her car but he ignored her. There’s a lot of action on the trail lately.

Today I plan to go out the trail and do a nice walk again. Toe is much better since I am being careful of what shoes to wear.

Happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

Karen I like what Lisa said, unless you are very elite like Walsey mortals like us walk especially in 100 milers.  I keep reading that if you adopt a run walk strategy from the beginning you can avoid the death march near the end. When I did that at my June 50k despite the heat (OK in the summer is close to TX) I got my fastest 50k yet.  I did end up walking the last 25k but I fully expected that and while I did walk I walked with a purpose.  I can get a 11 or 12 min mile in while walking if I do it just like I would a speed session.

Lisa I'm adopting you as our unofficial cheerleader as you are always so optimistic and cheerful. Sorry about the confusion about Loup Garou...the post itself was August while the race is in Dec.  The pictures look ...well...interesting.  I lived in LA for 3 years at Ft Polk which is near Leesville. Other side of the state from New Orleans.

Ginny hope the storms hold off at least until after the game.  Good luck to GD.

DH and I have been talking retirement and the possibility of taking early SS.  That would put me at 7 more years.  It seems far out but then again so close it's kind of frightening.  I've worked ever since I was 15 with only a few years when we moved I didn't work and that really wasn't all that much fun.  I like having an income.

Tessa I like PH so I'd happily do that one again. It's kind of low key but well supported AS.  I do have 2 house cats, 3 barn cats, 4 dogs and 3 horses.  Various stray male cats sometime come to the barn but all of ours are fixed and if DH can catch the strays they get fixed too.

Seloc

Lizzie – I was thinking about YOU this morning with my perfect weather.  My hands were cold and I wore long sleeves.   Now TACOS I can get on board with!  They go nicely with beer.  I had 3, yes THREE, tamales yesterday for lunch.  ½ price Tuesdays so I only spent $4.05 on lunch.  Frugal Frieda here!!  So happy Ruger buddy is doing better – hope he has a great day at day care!  From yesterday – me thinks you’ve never heard some of my old timey gramma sayings hee hee.  Whatcha gonna do Friday on your day off?  I’ve got no real plans for the weekend.  Again.  Sigh.  IF my sister comes down to go to the fair, I will go with them on Sun.  IF my former RB volunteers at a race on Monday I said I would do that with her (don’t really want to do it without her – the point is to hang out – plus it’s way across town).  Otherwise nada.  Other than drink too much beer per the norm.  Oh, and I always forget to comment on your run because, well, you are always CRUSHING your workouts.  Your weather today – omg I think I might have turned right around.  No WAY I could have managed THIRTEEN FREAKIN MILES in THAT.  Excuse me, thirteen point FOUR.  You would have found me laying as a puddle on the sidewalk.  You are awesome.  That is all.

Sue – glad you finely got some positive feedback from boss lady.  Nice job on the Group Power.  Have a good day at the lab!

Diane – ooof that is hot for a race.  Keep up the water intake.  I guess because I’m a BIG person, I can drink more water.  I’m already on my 2nd 32oz of the day.  Exciting that retirement is coming soon!

Ginny – sorry for the TURD.  Poor Dixie.  Yeah that middle of the night puking is a drag.  The kit kat does that sometimes.  Sometimes I just leave it and then go searching for it in the morning haha.  Good luck to DGD in the soccer game!  Hopefully the storms stay away for it.

Tessa – oof that’s early!  Maybe the gorgeous sunrise and traffic avoidance made it a tiny bit better?  Safe travels!

Lisa – I totally cracked up at the mountain lion that was chasing Lizzie yesterday morning.  Your yoga studio sounds awesome.  I think even I could get into candlelight yin.  A nice stretch out before bed!  And count me in with clean pores haha.  One of the RBs hardly sweats at all and she keeps telling me she wishes she did for that very purpose.  I roll my eyes LOL

Damaris – yuck on feeling so crappy!  Can you make adjustments to the meds?  Nice job getting in your full workout – sheesh.

HCK – OMG impressive run in that oppressive heat.  Stay safe!

Kat – excited for you guys next weekend!  Should be a hoot.  Weather doesn’t look too shabby either.  Though, not sure I would call it “chilly” haha.  I guess for a Texan…  Mmmmmmm beeeeeeer…

Cathy – yay for being on vacation!  Nice you could let the storms pass and then still get your workout in.  Looks like the glorious weather is headed your way, too!  Hooray!  That’s so cute that DD got a massage.  Congrats SCRUM Master!!  I’m chuckling thinking what Lizzie could come up with for that haha  Bummer the house lot isn’t the greatest.  But, dang congrats on no mortgage.  I had to look up what a Swurfer is – that looks fun!  Have you tried it?  Have a great time at the Dells!!

4 easy peasy CHILLY miles for me.  It was GLORIOUS.  My hands were cold and I wore long sleeves.  Should be same tomorrow.  Woot!  Gonna pull a Lizzie and shoot for 18mi before coming into the office.  Alarm is already set for 3am.  Gulp.  Hair appointment tonight.  Finally.  The mop needs it!  Oh!  I finished Crazy Rich Asians – it was cute!  Now I want to see the movie.  Happy Humping!

Anonymous Guest

Lisa (and others), good advice. I know especially on such a flat course, I'll need to do walk intervals to break things up. That worked well for the flat middle of JFK 50. And I remember when I ran Mt. Mitchell, I knew I wouldn't be able to run the entire  20 miles up a mountain (the 20 back down was less concerning pre-race, during the race it kinda sucked because it got just warm enough for the ice to melt so was running in ice cold water, but that's another story) so I walked fast uphill on the TM once a week for 5 miles. I was one of the last to make the cutoff to continue on to the top of the mountain, almost everyone behind me got turned around and had to just do the marathon, and many of those people I passed in the last few miles before the cutoff while walking, just walking purposefully instead of easy. I have started walking once/week, now I just need to work on slowing down my long runs and adding in some walking. My mantra in tough races has always been 'go forward." Comes from hearing Chris Gardner (Pursuit of Happyness) speak at a work annual meeting and talking about his mindset when homeless. I've never been one to hang out at the aid stations as I can eat just as well walking away from them. Just keep going forward, any speed gets you closer to the finish line than stopping. I tend to do a lot of math in my head during longer races, so it will be interesting (to me at least) to see what goes on up there once it's long enough that math no longer makes sense.

Liz, that does sound like TX weather. I've been told we usually see our first under 70 degree overnight temperature briefly in September sometime. I'm looking forward to that. Aww, glad Ruger went to daycare. We're going to have to keep Riley out of daycare for a few weeks when we get the puppy so he doesn't bring anything home before the puppy is old enough for his vaccines....hoping the puppy keeps him entertained enough.

Susan, glad the boss loved what you did.

Diane, that's going to be a warm one, but you know how to handle that now. Overnight low in Tupelo for the marathon is predicted to be 72, so you'll be a bit warmer than my marathon known for being hot, humid and hilly. Of course here the overnight lows will still be mid to upper 70s, so I'm actually looking forward to running in that......SE TX messes with my idea of normal.

Ginny, it is so hard to workout in the morning if you've had a crap night of sleep. Hope the weather holds for the soccer game.

Tessa, I'm in the get to the airport early camp, so I think your timing is just fine. Safe travels.

Judy, dang, that's a lot of walking and running you did yesterday! Nice.

Evening runs in 90 degrees (actual, not feels like, I don't even want to know what the "feels like" was, dewpoint was around 78) make it tough for me to get to sleep early, then make it tough to get up the next morning. Once the weather is a little less debilitating, I plan to do some evening/early morning "doubles." But for now I am taking it kinda easy this morning and plan on running on the TM in a bit. DH said that my solution of moving the TM over by the wall helped a ton in the vibration/creaking/sounding like I was going to come through the floor and into the garage, so that's good. The hill workout last night was good, although the storms that came through earlier did nothing to cool things down, just made it even more humid. I ended up with 4.6 miles and ran the warmup and most of the cool down with a new to the group runner. She and I had emailed a bit and then she signed up last week but couldn't make it out last Saturday. I really liked her, very sweet.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

dhuffman63

Trails

Sandy I'd be more excited if we lived somewhere else but not the middle of nowhere and there were things to do.  I'm serious when I say there are more cows in this state than people. Course I am researching the best areas to retire, and they are NOT in OK...lol.  I want to go somewhere without snow in the winter or at least very little like maybe Flagstaff.

Karen I have Relentless Forward Progress tattooed on my left forearm.  It works for events and life too as I like to learn new things. Since it's been so awful hot I've had to skip my road walking but I plan to start back up in Sept to be ready for PH as it does have some rolling hills but they aren't bad.

Tessa if you all do that Nov race near you I'd like hear how it went.  I'm concerned with cutoffs but it sounds like a nice one.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I am in court all morning, then some more court back in Miami, then hoping 6 and weights tonight.  Woke up feeling better but I am now a bit nauseous.  The dose was changed so hoping this gets better as the days go by.  It was 100F heat index by 8am so that's how our day is going.

Liz, nice MLR.

Susan, liking the fact that you have a conference call...says no one ever. Wink

Diane, yeap. Hot.

Ginny, sorry about the TURD.

Tessa, have a safe flight.

Judy, enjoy the walk.

Sandy, nice run.

Karen, I suspect you'll love those TM runs the longer this summer takes.

Damaris

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Hey Ho!

Lizzie, sorry your run sucked from the heat.  Diane mentioned Trail Toes and I think there is Squirrel Nut Butter too.  I really chapped my lips and used the TT on them and it helped.  Hope Ruger has fun.  Saw the pic on FB, the battle scars didn't seem too bad all things considered.

Sue, hope the day does indeed go quick.

Diane, that is going to be toasty on Sunday, bummer.  But, you can do it!  Is it a race that starts in the afternoon and ends the next day?

Ginny, we are getting to be twins, I had the same morning, minus the puking dog.  Awake at 6am, next thing it was 9.  Still might venture out and see what it is like, though if I do, it will be a shorty.

Tessa, guess I am a weirdo when it comes to airports - 2 hours for this girl!  I think Karen is the same.

Judy, glad the toe is OK.

Sandy, 3am, wowza.  I can't even manage 6.  And of course the 18 sounds daunting as well.  Even walking.

Karen, I am DAMN TIRED of this weather.  Yeah, good idea on keeping Riley home.  He will have the new pup to entertain him though.  How fun.

Damaris, sorry you're in court all day, know it isn't your favorite.

TURD today as I mentioned to Ginny.

SOMETIMES when I am struggling I remember a talk by Matt Long and channel his determination.  He was a marathoner/Iron Man and was almost killed in a bike vs bus accident and went on to finish another marathon and IM after.  If he could do it, we all can do it...  Thinking about Mollie the other day helped too, that we still have the ability to do this.  Though I am a lazy shit, when I actually do get out, thinking how blessed I am to be able to can help if I remember.  Though admittedly I am usually just whining to myself how awful it is at the end.  And sometimes I whine out loud, like at Pinelands, loudly, and in front of others without realizing...

Next Saturday is Woodstock half.  Apparently I have the following Saturday the 15th off.  Found a race 2 hrs away that day I might consider.  8 miles or 24 miles.  So wish there was a middle distance.  We will see if there is anything left after the half.  24 really is far too much, but 8 isn't enough.  It is a 4 loop course, so easy to drop.  There is a 50 miler, so plenty of time to meander if insanity takes over.

I get a new hydration vest later today.  Still can't find one I like.  I have 2 vests, one doesn't have enough storage, and one is snug.  So I got a pretty nice Nathan one in a mens size.  Fitted it at a store months ago and got it online for way cheaper when it went of sale.  Gotta love Running Warehouse.  Guess that means I should break it in and go for a long walk tomorrow.

Enough babbling.  Happy Wednesday.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

dhuffman63

Trails

Kat when you see Lisa ask her about Hawk and the out loud complaining.  It's when I get quiet is when I'm struggling.  I like getting to the airport early too.  I missed a flight once due to a coworker and don't want to do that ever again.

I have a Nathan and don't much like it and an Orange Mud Endurance pack that I love. I'll take it with me if only so I can put ice in the back and keep cool that way.  I learned my lesson at Heartland.

Damaris glad you are feeling a bit better.

ginnyb

Apparently poor Lisa has heard a lot of us whining.  I know she certainly has heard it from me!  I also almost passed out on her once while lying by the side of the road, but that's another story!    I am laughing to myself just thinking about it.  For a bunch of ladies who all met online we certainly have a lot of fun, unique experiences together!  Running will do that I guess!  So glad that I ventured on to that Runner's World forum back in 2008!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15