Womens Running

We HEART the WEEKENDS! (DAILIES) (Read 19 times)

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Hey there ladies!!

So, l did't finish and was really OK with it.  I don't think anyone, including myself, was all that surprised.  Meh.

Short version.  I did make it through the pretty parts plus about 4 mile after that.  I had the glimmer of hope when I left the AS at mile 18 that I still would finish.  I was JUST at the cutoff time for an official finish.  I was hoping to make up some time after that, but kept hitting areas/sand/climbing rocks, that I just couldn't catch up.  At mile 22 (next AS at 23) I bailed as I was quite close to the start/finish.  And there was another gigantic hill to get to the AS, and my legs were shot.  Quite happy at that point to call it a day.

Boring version.  I got into Page Friday a bit before 2pm.  VERY lucky, as the weather south of Flagstaff (about halfway-ish between Phoenix and Page) turned nasty.  I had about 15 miles of scary driving in the awful snow.  Later in the day, by about 2 hours, it got much worse.  So bad they closed the main road from Phoenix to Flagstaff.  Someone posted on the race FB page that they were stranded and couldn't make the race, I'm sure there were others.

Diana and I got up extra early to go to the start of Lisa's race, though we missed seeing her.  It was COLD, and I mean COLD for this TX girl, 25 at the start.  Waited for an hour and started ours.  Sandy to start, about 2 miles in there was some slickrock and smaller climbs.  Very uneven running, reminds me of shale.  At the mile 5 AS we hit Horseshoe Bend.  There was lots of slithering up an down rocks/boulders/scary places.  We got to HB itself and were RIGHT ON THE LEDGE.  Holy cow.  Eek, scary for this girl who is afraid of heights.  Miles 5-13 were a blur, rock climbing, sand, slow going for me.

Mile 13-ish we hit the descent to Watherhole Slot Canyons.  Maybe Lisa or Diana can describe it, or have pictures, but for me it was a scary nightmare trying to get down.  One of the scariest things I have done.  I was running with 2 ladies, without them, I wouldn't have done it.  They were awesome and encouraging.  I slid down the entire cliff (yes, it was a cliff) on my butt. When we finally got down and were into the Canyon it was lovely.  A fair amount of slithering up rocks, some having to push your butt up halfway, then stretch your legs out horizontally to the rock across the way, and somehow roll over and up the remainder of the rock.  Then to get out we had to climb a ladder and squeeze through an opening at the top.  We thought that was it, NO.  A bit after there was a treacherous climb to finish getting out of the canyon.  I honestly was near tears and started to hyperventilate.  Thank goodness one of the ladies was still with me.  She made it up and I literally begged her not to leave me.  She stayed and soon after when we were back to safety she trotted off so she could finish in time, which she did luckily.

Mile 13-18 were a blur too.  Lots of sand and uphills.  There were a few more rocky descents that were very hard for me as my legs were shot. I usually slid down them on my butt, but my legs were so sore, I couldn't bend down to sit.

After the AS at 18, there was about a mile and a half of uphill sand.  Ugh.  I decided about mile 20 that I was going to pull out at the mile 23 AS.  As I said above, at 22 the start was right there and I quit, gladly.

I am super glad I went.  Have had a ball.  This morning I took a small 9 seater airplane ride with only one other woman.  The flight was much smoother than expected for such a tiny plane.  In about 2 hours I will take a walking tour of the Upper Antelope Slot Canyons.  My distance didn't go there, though Lisa's did.

I suppose that is it.  Going to go find breakfast and head out to the tour.  When my photos download to my computer, I will post a few here.  The internet is SLOW in this neck of the woods!!

Have an awesome day all.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Anonymous Guest

Holy crap, Kathryn. That sounds physically and mentally exhausting. Way to go.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Hi Ladies!

Rest day turned out to be cross training day because I couldnt keep this energy at bay. Cross training as in - cleaning the house Smile I cleaned bathrooms, 4 loads of laundry, vacuumed, mopped floors and cleaned out the fridge! I was exhausted by lunch time haha.

HCBF's car is not starting so we are waiting on a tow. Luckily we weren't out with it! He also has a work car so he should be good to go to the beach this week.

Going to try something new tonight for dinner - cauliflower pizza! I am excited to try it!

Sandy - NICE job on the miles this weekend! Wow, I am impressed that you got out there because judging by those pictures..you got a lot of snow!! Woohoo (on the miles not on the snow Wink ). I hope you enjoyed a lazy day after your walk! And thanks for crossing everything for me..I really really hope I get some good job news this week and hope I have some perfect weather next weekend! We shall see! The waiting is killing me!!!

Margaret - Wow, nice job yesterday!! Good lord that is a lot of hills. Way to go! JEALOUS of your iron stomach! I could understand chili in colder temps, but not at a “beach” setting in humid temperatures. YUCK. Haha. All of your trail races have some gorgeous views!! Smile

Laura - Nice miles today! Where did you and BF go to dinner?? Geez, date night was early this week Smile I used turbo tax too..it was easy!! Brewery/sushi place? That sounds interesting. You just reminded me that I need to look up sushi place. I meant to do that earlier. We already have the cupcake place covered!

Kathryn - Holy. Sh!t. Wow. That sounds so exhausting. You should be really proud of yourself for doing what you did. I can’t say I would be able to do that - I am scared of heights, too. How you got into a small airplane like that is beyond me. NOPE. NOPE. They would have to sedate me. LOL. Seriously though, you are a real badass and should really be proud of yourself!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I can’t wait to see pictures from the tour! Are your legs still super sore?

Lisa - CONGRATULATIONS on the 50!!! Wow. Just wow.

Have a good evening ladies!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

LC Runs

Margaret - WTG and what a beautiful picture!!

Kat - that sounds so challenging, you did great!!  Glad you are having a great time and you were able to get ahead of the snow!

Lizzie  - ugh on HCBF's car but glad he has one to use and you were at home when it happened.  We went to Applebees, that is the only chain restaurant near us.  Food was good but the service was terrible.  Luckily we only had to pay $10 since we had the gift certificate and the manager actually paid for our drinks.

Taxes done, whoo hoo!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

3.7 on the treadmill yesterday and 10 this afternoon. I'd prefer to run in the morning, but the rain didn't let up til around noon. So done with the constant rain and gray.

KatS, sounds like a good call to call it a day. That course sounds scary.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

WTG, racing ladies (including KatS!)

I'm back home.  Will start packing again for the hospital later.  So tired, slept 6 hours total the entire weekend, but had tons of fun.

I'll be back online on and off tomorrow.  Just wanted to report back.

Damaris