Womens Running

MLK Monday! (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Can I say Happy Maritn Luther King Day? Is that a thing?

Oh well, happy holiday for some of us that have 3 day weekends!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

8.5 for me! Speedwork miles..I did 15x 1min/1min rest.

Good run but my legs were fatigued pretty bad. They did great considering, though. Speed intervals were awesome and when I was doing the cool down, my "slow" pace was my new marathon pace. It seemed easy! I like that Smile 18 degrees out there today..back to layers. Snow maybe Wednesday.

Dinner last night was interseting. Food was good but something is up with my mom. I am not going to get into too much detail but she is having a hard time swallowing. So much so that sometimes when she takes too big of a bite..it comes right back out. And yes, it happened at the table. Its not like vomit (thought of you Sandy because I almost lost it) - the food doesnt even make it to her stomach..it just comes out. That sounds so gross. I am sitting there in tears as this is happening because I just havent seen anything like this before. She told us this has been happening for a while and she is going to the doctor at the end of the month. I find that hard to believe - it first happened last Summer apparently...my parents are very good about NOT telling us stuff. I have a feeling they have been seeing doctors and something is up..but they are waiting on tests or whatever. IDK its been on my mind and I just feel off about it. Sigh.

She did text me last night and said the cake was AWESOME and that she was very impressed (means a lot coming from her..she is an awesome baker). Woohooo!! I sent the cake home with them so we didn't get to try it Smile

Off today so just lounging probably Smile Heading to either a body pump at 10:30 or abs at 5.

Kilmisters - Nice run yesterday!! Wow, I am surprised you were so fast after all of your games lately! Woohoo!! We had the same temps this morning Smile How is the ankle feeling today?

Docket - I am sorry you couldn’t do the race - but you made the right decision! That was tough I bet. Congrats to your hubby!

Tessa - This morning on my run I was thinking about you! Just that we didnt hear from you Saturday..was wondering what you were up to this weekend Smile I used a recipe I found on Pinterest.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/best-carrot-cake/

I like how you say a short run - 8.5 Smile Funny how the “short runs” tend to change over time. Nice of you to volunteer.

Margaret - 100% AGREE ON FROSTING. AND there has to be the right frosting to cake ratio. Can’t have too much frosting..but also can’t have too little frosting. Thats how I judge my cupcakes and cake. LOL. Love what you said to Diane. Nice job on the 15!!! When is the race again? Sorry you ran out of gas..EAT! Smile

Karen - Wow, congrats on the race!! Let us know what they say regarding the email. You did awesome!!! HOW AWESOME for your baby runners! And how awesome of a coach you are to stick around and watch them all cross the finish line. Did you have a proud coach moment?! So cool. Your fast neighbor - I can’t remember - was this is first marathon? I ask because if he was one of your “baby runners” that is REALLY hard to believe considering that time!!! That is awesome!

Susan - Nice run yesterday! Sorry to hear about the Saints!

Have a great day everyone!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Diane - I meant to say I second everyone else. I get it though. I catch myself doing it a lot as well..if taking a break from social media helps, then go for it. We are here for you when you are ready!!!

LC Runs

Ugh, Monday.  At least I only had 1 voice mail when I got to the office today.  3 TM miles, I actually felt like I had more in me but ran out of time.

Lizzie- glad you had a nice dinner, sorry to hear your mom is having some swallowing issues, hopefully it's nothing too serious.  Glad she liked your cake!!

Damaris - congrats to DH.  Sorry you were sick and missed the race, but definitely a good choice.

Diane - I hear ya, I do it a lot, too.  Especially these past few weeks, I just feel like a slug.  It's hard not to compare yourself, but we are all here for each other!

Karen - great job to you and your runners!!

That's all I can remember from yesterday's thread LOL.  Waves to everyone, will try and check  back later!

Seloc

Sue – glad you liked the stew, too!  Sorry about the Saints.  That was a very un-MN team ending.  The classic with the field goal to go ahead – typical for the Vikings to blow a 17 point league.  But that last play was crazy!  Now they can go lose in Philly LOL

Tessa – how is dry veganuary going?  I’ve failed already on multiple occasions.  But.  Still cutting back.  That’s funny about the guy yelling “good job”.  Oh, and I do appreciate the plows for running purposes but since I drive a Grand Cherokee which has 4 wheel drive, I can get anywhere!  93 lbs of fruit??  Whoa.  Have a great long run today!

Karen – congrats to you and your baby runners yesterday!

Lizzie – SO SWEET of you to bake your mom her favorite cake.  I bet she appreciated that big time!  I sure would.  That is CRAZY weather you ran in on Saturday.  And brrr.  Wow, girl on the weekly mileage.  I think I’ve only hit 50 once ever.  Will see what happens this cycle.  Glad everything went well with your grandpa’s surgery!  92 years old is amazing.  You have some seriously good genes in your family!!

Damaris – I am SO SORRY you were sick and had to DNS!  Definitely sounded like the smart thing to do.  Congrats to DH on his HUGE PR!!  What’s next for you?  Oh okay, I’ll go check the calendar hee hee.  Are you feeling any better?  Hope so!

Gatsby – nice miles!  Dang, you ramped up.  I hope I can do the same!  Yeah, that under-fueled bonk feeling is the worst.  Ahhhhhhhh shorts and long sleeves – my favorite weather.  Soak that up for me, please?

Elina – great run yesterday!  That does sound like pretty ideal conditions.  Sorry for the loss to EST (hee hee, for me that means Eastern Standard Time).  Congrats to the rookies!  How’s the ankle feeling?

Laura – I thought of you on Saturday as I was watching MI v MI State in basketball.  MI won AT State!  Crazy.

Kat – that stinks about the glasses!  I just got progressives about a month ago and definitely do NOT love them.  Distance is fine, the middle range to see my laptop is fine but I can read underneath without glasses so that part bugs.  It took a couple weeks to get used to, too.  They did tell me if I wasn’t happy to come back.  Still deciding what to do.  Hopefully they can help you out!!

Lizzie2 – awesome run again, today!  Oh no that is super scary about your mom.  Um, yeah, I probably would have reflexively jumped out of my chair.  It sucks to see your parents go through health issues!!  Hopefully they can get some answers (and share with you!) soon!  Sending positive thoughts and comfort to you as well.  Its hard.

5mi indoors on Saturday – that was all I could muster!  I wish I could be more like Damaris!  5 ½ mi outside yesterday.  Cold and snowy.  Rest day today.  Legs were pretty toast yesterday.  Extra workout with the ice and snow.  Trying to decide what to do tomorrow.  I REALLY don’t want to go indoors but I also can’t get too excited about running in 0* with a pretty stiff NW wind.  Will decide later.

Saturday was pretty fun.  A cousin was in town from AZ so I met up with him and others for a quick beer and then went to watch my RBs DH band.  RB has been injured so fun to catch up with her.  And meet some new people!

Yesterday was a pretty lazy day.  Got another 4-5 inches of snow.  Anyone besides Sue watch the Saints/Vikings game?  Pretty crazy finish for sure!  Very atypical MN team pulling out the win.

No holiday here.  In the office early but that’s okay since its free parking at the meters so I got to park right outside the office building!  Makes me crazy happy!  It’s the little things haha

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Congrats to racers and coaches.

Lizzie, I wish the very best for your mom’s health.

Saturday was 40 minutes of cardio dvd work

Sunday was a 40 minute run on the track at the gym.

Today I plan a TM run/stairs, I think. Living in a high rise, we can do lots of stairs without a machine. 

Safe and happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

dhuffman63

Trails

Thank you all, your comments are very nice and help.

Lizzie, have your mom get her thyroid checked.  It can cause swallowing issues (I get this sometimes with mine).

Did 9 miles on the TM yesterday....walking but it took less than 3 hours so I was happy.  Trying to get my speed back up so the second hour I did 3.4 mph.  Working back to a run/walk but since my feet stopped hurting I don't want it to come back.  The PF seems to have cleared up.

It's snowing today and since I took Friday as my MLK day I drove in even tho they have a 2 hour late start to open the office...jeez...it's only a little snow.  Just took it slow and steady.  They wanted us to take PTO for the time but I'll probably need to stay home tomorrow and watch the heaters since the high will be 17!  Did I mention I hate winter.  I wish I could have run in the snow this morning tho....it was lovely and 33 degrees.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  Glad I am off today.  Just woke up.  RD for me.

Had a couple of fever bouts overnight but woke up feeling much better today.  Lost 4lbs this weekend from dehydration from the fever. There is that!

Lizzie, so sorry to hear about your mom.  Why did she wait so long to go to the doctor?  Hoping it's nothing major. Sad

Laura, nice 3.

Sandy, enjoy the rest!  I don't have a marathon until April, unless we decide on the RnR DC in March.  I have a couple of fun HMs with GFs and stuff but nothing major for now.

Judy, enjoy the TM run and the stairs workout.

Diane, nice 9!

Damaris

Since Kilmisters asked about weather:

Half Moon Bay is on the coast in Northern California, just below San Francisco, so the climate stays pretty mild and doesn't get too cold due to the Pacific Ocean.  This time of year, temps typically range from 40s to 60s.  Maybe a little above or below that. So shorts and short sleeves are entirely possible in the dead of winter.  Snow, not so much.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Happy Monday and MLK day!  I didn't do much this weekend, rested my foot.  We took the kids to the mall yesterday and my foot got pretty sore just walking around.  We got some snow last night plus 3-5 inches expected today so I guess it's a good time to take a break!  The blogger that was going to start at the back of the pack at the Houston Marathon ended up finishing in 3:41:56, which by my calculations means he passed 5,649 people!

Lizzie, nice running this weekend!  Awesome mileage!  Weird about the night sweats!  I haven't had carrot cake in awhile...  I am sorry to hear about your mom.  I hope things are OK.  My parents tend to play down their health issues also.  My co-worker has a "throat thing".  He has to go in and get a procedure done every year to "widen" his esophagus or he has problems swallowing.  Kaitlyn decided she didn't like her jacket anymore, too puffy and colorful.  So we got her a long gray parka yesterday.  It's really cute.    I just like to mention parkas around you.  

Laura, we are supposed to warm up to 40 this weekend, hopefully you get that weather also!

Karen, congrats on the half!  That is an awesome time.  I hope they take your "revised" time.  Yes, that is the blogger.  We are not really "friends", though we have e-mailed a few times.  He and his wife also started the Race Raves website and they both seem like super nice people.  Nice job by your running group!  Wow, your neighbor is super speedy!

Kat, nice 4!  Sorry about the glasses.  I hope they can fix it!

Damaris, sorry about the DNS but I am glad you are feeling better.  Great also that you saw Karen!  That is a nice PR for hubby!

Diane, once in awhile I think about not coming on here because this foot thing is super depressing.  But I do like reading what everyone else is up to and I would miss that.    Nice job on the TM!  I hope the PF is behind you! 

Tessa, that is a lot of fruit!  8.5 and is a pretty long run.    There are 3 more races left in the Winter Series.  I used to knit, though I haven't done much lately.  The last time I had PF, about 3 years ago, I knit a ton of things!    I've been reading more this time around.

Margaret, nice job getting through the calorie deprived run.  

Sandy, nice job on the TM!  Hey, anything on the TM is good.    Nice run outdoors also.  Though DH is a football fan, he acted like there was no football on TV yesterday.    If you like the Packers, you don't like the Vikings.     Ha, nice that you scored a good parking space.  No day off here either, the kids are in school too.  Yes, it is Mr. Math that clips coupons.  He is very thrifty.  I imagine that he is sitting on a huge pile of money.  

Sue, hope you got the 80K in!

Cathy

Now that I've given you entirely more info than you want about where I live, back to personals:

Lizzie, that's scary about your Mom's swallowing problem.  Hopefully she gets some answers at her next doctor's appointment.  Frustrating when parents don't talk about stuff like that because don't want to "bother the kids".

LC, hopefully you will have a quiet day at work, given the quasi-holiday.

Seloc, score on the free parking today!  I was thinking of Sue and Linda (posts over on FB) when I was watching the Vikings-NO game.  How aggravating for them!  I have no dog in the fight for any NFL games.  You a Vikings fan?

Judy, enjoy the stairs workout.  Stairs are tough!

DHuff, nice 9!  Sorry your temps are on the way back down.

Damaris, hopefully you've turned a corner with that bug and feel well soon.

MTA: Hi turtles!  Cross posted. Amazing that that Houston marathoner passed so many people.  He totally would have blown by me.    Sorry your foot is still bugging you.  You wearing shoes with good support when you're walking around, like at the mall?

SRD for me, but I might do 4 easy miles later today instead of tomorrow, and make tomorrow the rest day.  Have to hit the grocery store today, I should go do that now before it gets too busy. It's my DH's birthday today and he arrives home from a trip tonight, so we might go out for a beer after I pick him up.  Nothing too exciting, but at least he's getting home a day early!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Kilmisters

Oh, the holiday explains the early NBA/NHL games... Those 1pm ET faceoff times got me really confused, now it makes sense.

Cathy, I bet taking kids to mall can sometimes be more exhausting than running. Or even racing Smile

Lizzie, speedwork on tired legs? Yeah... The only thing that helps is muttering ''race day will feel like piece of cake after this'' Smile Specifically cake Big grin That's so scary about your mom's condition... But as you said few days ago... Medicine can do wonders nowadays. Fingers crossed for good outcome!

Karen, saw your HM time on FB, great race! And that's so cool about your group! I must have missed it - was it the first marathon for the FM dude?

Margaret, thanks for the detailed answer/map! Smile Woo, b-day greetings to your DH Smile

Laura, only 1 mail? I envy you Smile

Sandy, laughing about parking making your day... It's the little things indeed... Especially on Mondays Big grin I'd run indoors if I were you. Cold is one thing, but wind and ice... Yeah... No. That's a bit of a ''hold my beer'' territory.

Diane, nice miles! You see, Damaris was right - you are badass!

I wish I had Laura's situation at work - 1 email and that's it. New week, new fun. I think there was a moment when my phone rang 4 times in 3 minutes. Desk is covered w sticky notes. So basically - nothing new. Smile

Ankle is well... I don't know. Somewhere between ''perfectly fine'' and ''awful''. As in - can't say it's not bothering me, but certainly not to the extent of considering prolonged rest. Time will show. When I entered the kitchen this morning (after all the important reports, of course, because God forbid they're not sent out in first 15mins of the working day, ugh) boss looked at me, my foot, me again and said ''You're walking.'' ''Uhhhm.. Yes.'' ''So, the ankle is fine.'' ''Since when the standard of it being fine is as low as having the ability to walk?'' ''It's you. Of course, walking equals fine.'' Guess she's right. Smile

I don't know what the hell happened overnight but we're having below zero temps. Fahrenheit not Celsius. So obviously had to layer for the eve run. 7.5mi this time. The facemask really saved me, no regrets about that purchase. DH absolutely had to repeat the whole eve that I looked like Bane from Batman movie. Oh well, no comment! Smile

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Thanks for all the sweet words regarding my mom! I have never had to see my parents really go through anything. My dad had cancer a few years ago but they didn’t tell us until he was halfway through treatment..so I never saw him really “sick”. I am not ready for these kind of things! I guess we never are….

I ended up going to the 10:30 body pump. It whooped my butt. Holy biceps and triceps.

OH HCBF should be hearing about his contract in Richmond THIS week. We are crossing our fingers. That would be the BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT EVER. Smile

Laura - How is work going nowadays? Nice run this morning! Bummer you didn’t have more time!

Sandy - Nice job with the indoor workout this weekend. You are right - it is hard. Okay, so I thought I was crazy when my legs were extra fatigued last week after running on snow and ice. I was thinking - is it really that much harder? But I guess so! Awe, glad you had fun this weekend! Smile I didn’t do anything yesterday either besides dinner. I swear I was glued to that couch for 7 hours..didn’t bother me though haha. We are supposed to get some snow this week - the entire city is about to be shut down over 4” of snow. Smile Maybe thats why I like snow - snow days! How high are you planning on going this training cycle?? I know you are trying to PR right? I was telling my parents about it last night - my dad is really excited for me. He used to go to Fargo all the time for business.

Judy - Nice workouts over the weekend. Good luck with today’s. I loathe the stair workouts..basically a sweat fest!

Diane - I will mention that to my mom. I know she already does have thyroid problems and takes something for it. Hmm interesting. NICE JOB on 9miles!! Woohoo!!! I actually do the exact same thing when I have a two hour delay..go in at regular time. Beat the dumb dumbs on the road and have some piece and quiet for a while.

Docket - Glad you are feeling a little better and lost some weight hahaha Smile Have you thought about being checked for the flu??? I know so many people who have gotten it this year. I think my mom already went to the doctor..they just aren’t telling us something. Argh.

Cathy - Smart to rest the foot. Walking around the mall is workout enough! Smile I know that must have been tough for you because you aren’t really a shopper, right? Holy crap on the blogger! That is an awesome time! Its hard to believe he passed that many people. Interesting about your co-worker and the throat procedure…my dad was saying that the muscles in the esophagus can wear down over time and need widening. He was talking his medical talk I was lost. Smile I read HCBF your parka comment and he laughed Smile

Margaret - Awe, Happy Birthday to DH!!! Smile Smile Good thing about days off is going grocery shopping during the day. I went today before 5. I really didn't need go..but since there is snow in the forecast..everything will be gone by Tuesday night. Smile Have fun celebrating DH’s birthday! Was he gone all weekend??

Kilmisters - Sticky notes are my best friend!! I think you look badass in your facemask! I need one like that! Nice run!

Have a great evening all! I am off to order my birthday cake..I dont care if I am laying on the couch all day on my birthday but I am having my favorite cake. ALL. DAY. Haha.

Had a nice MLK Day.  Ran 5 this morning, and yes--I did get the 80K in!  Woohoo!

Made biscuits to go with the scuppernong (variety of muscadine) jelly I made yesterday. One of DF's co-workers gave him frozen juice. Four batches!!  Yikes!

Then took DD (happy 30th BD to her!) shopping.  Picked out a wedding dress. It was the one I saw on line and they had it in my size! Ordered a fresh one, should be here next month sometime. Fit really well.  Whew! glad that is over.

Check y'all later!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

HI All!

8 miles with a fast finish and strength training.

Lizzie, hopefully your mom gets some answers at her doctor's appointment. When I talk to my parents on Sundays, there have been more than one occasion where I get a recap of an ER visit.

Seloc, Philly is another team that likes to break hearts, so could have competition for who is going to lose in the most heartbreaking way.

DHuffman, social media is good for keeping in touch, but it is a highlight reel.

Kilmisters, brrr.....

Oh, I read a very, very scary rumor this morning--the "prize" for the Strava challenge is going to be a 25% off offer.