Womens Running

Pinelands FE, May 2018 (Read 24 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

I'm still checking flights.  Tul to Det (Th-Tu) is the cheapest at $299.96 or Tul to Bst is $439.96 (F-M).  The days for the Boston one work better for being gone that time of year (we do training in Apr/May time frame).  Splitting the cost of either a hotel or a bnb makes lodging much more affordable.  I'm very flexible on arrangements.  My biggest issue ever is food as I'm so picky.  Aid stations are helping break me of that tho...lol.

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, thanks for doing the research! I would rank them:

B

A

C

D

I think B would actually work out cheaper if we have 8 people, since A is listed at $233 but charges $20/night for each guest after the first 6, whereas B charges $10/night/guest for over 6. B can also sleep up to 11.

With this many runners I think any place with only 1 bath is a nonstarter, which rules D out, especially since D's water supply comes from the lake and they don't recommend you drink the water. D is also 22 feet from said lake. Some of the water is likely recycled from the septic tank back into the plumbing.

Race being Sunday, would you recommend arriving in Detroit on Wednesday or Thursday? What day would you be planning to drive out?

Arimathea

Tessa

I'm still checking flights.  Tul to Det (Th-Tu) is the cheapest at $299.96 or Tul to Bst is $439.96 (F-M).  The days for the Boston one work better for being gone that time of year (we do training in Apr/May time frame).  Splitting the cost of either a hotel or a bnb makes lodging much more affordable.  I'm very flexible on arrangements.  My biggest issue ever is food as I'm so picky.  Aid stations are helping break me of that tho...lol.

Another argument in favour of a house -- can self cater and so food arrangements can be flexible. I have no problem with cooking for varied needs.

Looks like 8 people... assuming Diane is successful in finding a flight or we figure something else out.  I am pretty sure that we will be driving in from Detroit.

Rank houses in order of preference with 1 being the best.

A. Thompson Lake $233/night

B. Sebago Lake $250/night

C. Unnamed but "idyllic lake" $225/night

D. Unnamed but "FUNky" lake $165/night

Awesome, thanks Lisa!  I would be fine with any of these places, but since you asked, here's how I'd rank them:

B or C

A

D

Kat, what times do you arrive/depart Boston?  It looks like the earliest I could get in to Boston would be around 4:30 pm on Friday, probably depart around 4 pm on Monday.  I'd be happy to put the rental car in my name since I'm going to go meet a friend on Sat.

This is so exciting! I'm really looking forward to it.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Margaret, I will get in at 12:30.  But if you're driving the rental, I will just hang in the bar and get tipsy.  I leave at 7:30 Mon.  Again, I will hang out. I could have bought different tickets, but would rather fly direct and for $200 less!! Waiting is fine.

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Total for Sebago Lakefront (B) for Friday through Monday would be $1380.

5 Bdr 2 Bath 11 guests

320/night

960 rent

180 cleaning fee

138 service fee

102 occupancy taxes

-40 travel credit

Divided by 8 people is $172.50 for three nights.

Total for Thompson Lake (A) for Friday through Monday would be $1076

4 Bdr 2 Bath 8 guests, 7 beds

273/night

819 rent

100 cleaning fee

115 service fee

82 occupancy taxes

-40 travel credit

Divided by 8 people is $135.50.

Total for Idyllic Cabin in Raymond (C) for Friday through Monday would be $1203

4 Bdr 1.5 Bath 8 guests, 6 beds

300/night

900 rent

125 cleaning fee

126 service fee

92 occupancy taxes

-40 travel credit

Divided by 9 people is $150.37.

Lisa

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

I would vote for B, Sebago Lake.  It is close to stores/food and slightly closer to the race.  A bit more expensive, but not that much.

A is pretty remote from what I can see, no grocery stores nearby.

C only has 1.5 bathrooms and that might not be a good fit for all of us.  Didn't look at location.

K

Arimathea

Tessa

Another vote for B. It's a little more expensive but worth it to be closer, I think.

And 1.5 baths means only 1 shower. Not great for 8 stinky runners!

Thanks Lisa for doing all this research!

"B" sounds good to me too, but any of them would work okay.

Thanks Lisa!

All look fine to me too!  Smile 

B) is close to a colleague of mine at St. Joseph College - so if we get the EPA grant, that will also be really convenient! Smile

I've requested May 25-28th at B.

Friday to Monday.

First time booking Airbnb so if that charge goes through to card prior to stay (not sure if it works that way), it would be great if people could pay via Paypal or Venmo. Message me for email address/contact info for either of those.

Lisa

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Happy to chip in now, I will message you on FB tonight.

K

I've requested May 25-28th at B.

Friday to Monday.

First time booking Airbnb so if that charge goes through to card prior to stay (not sure if it works that way), it would be great if people could pay via Paypal or Venmo. Message me for email address/contact info for either of those.

Yes, if there are any upfront charges, let us know.  I'd be happy to Paypal $ to you now.

Lisa, Just sent you a PM on FB.  Do you want me to send you a check as I don't use PayPal or whatever the other site you mentioned?

Arimathea

Tessa

Likewise, I will send you a check.