Womens Running

Strategic weekend (dailies) (Read 19 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

A little humor for when you're trying to decide if it's safe to run during a thunderstorm watch:

Brad PanovichVerified account @wxbrad

There should be no confusion of a Watch vs a Warning with this example. A Watch the ingredients are there for something, A Warning it's there.

There is currently a cupcake warning of the strawberry cheesecake variety in my kitchen,

Lizzie, 100USD worth of beer, wow, your brother must be my soulmate! In his defense, it's better to buy a really premium beer, even if it's 18USD for 4pack, than waste money on those that taste like cat piss.

Prepared junk food for the evening - Eurovision Song Contest - a show/contest w such awful (average) quality that it's like a car wreck you can't take your eyes off.

Just thought I'd highlight the important things in this post and put it right here again.  Thanks Kilmisters.  77 would be hot for me too.

Lizzie, OMG yum, cuban avocado chicken salad sounds amazing.  UGH on 99 degree temps! NO!  Laughing at your brother... BRUSHY BREWGUY?!

HCK, hope you have fun at the 5k tomorrow!  Hee hee on the watch vs. warning tutorial.

Kat, will get back to you with Pinelands info tomorrow.  Having beer now and don't trust myself not to make a typo or mistake.  Oh geez, what a crappy start to the day for you!

Seloc, what are you doing with the rest of your week off before Lizzie and Karen arrive?  A week off sounds awesome.

LC, enjoy your quiet weekend!

Carol, yikes on the big toe blister!  At risk of TMI, what did you do?  Lance it under the nail?  Yay for good recovery!

Karen, LOL (in a cool way) that you are the "neighborhood marathon runner".  Love that Bernie made the connection and found you.  And that his name is Bernie.

Damaris, hope the show was fun!

Lisa, universe is aligning... out with the old (work ID, etc.) and in with the new.  The head giving up has sunk many a hope, dream, and trail race.

I had a good trail race today.  A part of the course is on a trail called Cinderella, hence the name "Cinderella Trail Race."  It was a tad long at 27 miles but a truly lovely trail with lots of redwoods and shade.  But hilly, with over 5000' feet of elevation gain.  Warmish day, with temps in the 70s, but it wasn't bad at all with the shade and a nice breeze. Finished in 6:41, 3rd place female (not sure how many there were -- it was not a lot, only 11 signed up for the race and some probably DNS'd or dropped to a different distance).  2nd place AG.

Pics of the trail and my loot.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, Margaret!!

Liz, that is the best part. My work from home day is thursday and I’ll have WFH Thursday and off Friday which my boss would have never approved.

Damaris

Kilmisters

Kat, that doesn't sound like fun pre-run experience, no wonder you skipped the run. 10 months is way too early to worry, so I understand your frustration. You'll do fine.

Lizzie, that beer trading sounds amazing, and that brushy brewguy, really? Big grin Go Caps! This is the time of the year I am reeeaalllllyyy angry at time zone differences. 3am start and waaay too much work to just kill the Monday productivity before the day has even started.

Margaret, congrats! Sufferfest beer? Wow... Their website says ''Sufferfest Beer fuels active, healthy, passionate humans with premium quality craft beer.'' -- brilliant Big grin They don't ship to Europe. YES, I CHECKED.

So, it's 80 degrees. Went outside, stood there for 5 seconds or so, aaaand, nope. Waiting for the evening.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

And sometimes I need to take my own happiness pills (metaphorically speaking)... a few annoying things happened the last couple of days to bring me down but thinking of all the wonderful days ahead brings me back up. They also help to underscore why I divorced that man in the first place (low integrity which spills over into everything) and to make me remember what really isn't all that important in the long run vs what is.

So looking forward to seeing many of you over the next few months and further out! That makes me happy for sure! 

Damaris-the new schedule will work out well for you although it seems to still be 5 working days... do you alternate weeks? Say 1 Monday of 8 hours and 1 Monday off? this injury was my reminder to return to running races at a pace I can recover from and that I can enjoy. From here on out, if I do this race I just did, I'll only sign up for the marathon, not the 50k. That way I forego the stress of making the 6.5 hour trail marathon cutoff to do another 5 miles. On trails I run all the time so I know the difficulty level. Totally unnecessary stress but sometimes we have to be reminded of that.

Karen-I'm waiting until I know it's been signed and sealed with the court to change on FB. LOL That could be within a few days.  Slowest part there will be finding out when it's been signed. I guess we have to call in and check. What a system. LOL I'll have to check out the books you mentioned too! Not that I seem to have much reading time. But they sound good!

Carol-no reason to run every race hard, especially as we learn the recovery time required from doing so. And as far as the type of relationship we have... "adult" is quite inappropriately appropriate so "ahem" away all you like.  But it's also quite the "mature" one.  When we first met and I said we had to wait to date because of situation he really caught my attention with "I've waited for a woman like you for 8 years, I can wait a few more months".... that and the later follow up to me saying I wasn't looking for another traditional relationship but a partner to enjoy life and adventures with would be great... his lightning quick reply of "I'll be your male lesbian partner" .... well that witty reply struck a real chord and that pretty much sums it up. Fun, laughter, quiet times, respect, good beer and good conversation. Little annoying things can't stand up to having someone like that along for the ride. Hope your toe settles down!!

Laura-have a nice quiet weekend!

Sandy-11 is enough. You're Number !! Twice!! LOL Kind of funny that there are more than one of us consistent breakfast/lunch folks here but then again... this is a forum of extremely consistent women! Have a great week away!!

Elina-Life is too short for sub-standard beer unless it's being handed out free at an aid station and just used for hydration purposes. But even then... water tastes better. Hope the weather evens out to norms!! And I know you're noticing the wheels starting to turn for spring 2019. It is going to happen! Would love to meet all the Latvian folks and say nothing of what I know about them. 

Kathryn-today will certainly be better.. you now have that spare key so life is good!! I'm not going to try for the 50k.. silly! I'm going to run the 50k. Easy peasy. Lots of time to do it in.... 11 hours. Maybe we will stick together even and finish this thing as a team. Glory leg with the axes? Does Margaret know about the axes? And March 2019 does correspond with when I am starting to consider visiting DD during her semester abroad!! EFE maybe? We should find some race with wine or beer or both in Latvia. 

HK2-I'm stealing your thunder so that there isn't any for your race today! Love the meme for storm watches!!! Hope you made the most of your own personal warning!

Lizzie-I'm a believer in the idea that we end up attracting what we put our focus and thoughts on. Can be self-defeating or look like good luck to others. When I look back at so many things in my life, when I expected a bad outcome... it happened. When I expected a good outcome.. it happened... eventually at least. Look hard enough for negative things, complain enough about negative stuff... it will come to you. The opposite works too. Look for the good in the world, the things that make you happy and you'll find them. may not be the exact version you expected but it will be there.. like yummy cupcakes for you and really good beer for your bro... who may be a new hero of mine! LOL That salad sounds super yummy... LOVE avocados!! Yesterday sounds like a really, really good day for you... Great salad, great run, cake and beer! 

Margaret-thanks for pointing out the important stuff! LOL at the trail race being a tad long... next year they should clear out some of those trees to make it exact.. just for you (that was what the RD at North Country told Karen when she questioned the distance).  Awesome time for you.. you are fast!!! The trail looks ... well you all know me... gorgeous!!! Pines! Roots! Shade! Hills!  These are a few of my favorite things. Congrats on the award!

Happy Mother's Day to all who are mothers ... this is for you.....

Happy Mother's Day to all who have had mothers and know this to be true. But more importantly on behalf of those mothers who aren't able to put it into these words for whatever reason....

If she could, this would be what she would say to you, because at the heart of it, this is what every mom wants no matter what life has thrown at them and kept them from saying this to you because well... sometimes those words above do get in the way....

Lisa

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me!

Happy Mothers Day to all you moms! And pet moms!!! Smile

I slept for 9 1/2 hours and it was wonderful. Except I kept waking up thinking I was late for work! Ugh. Vacation is needed.

Heading about an hour north to my parents for a while today. Taking Ruger with me Smile Emerson wants to meet Ruger. HCBF is going to his moms. Should be a fun day!

Run4kupcakes - LOL - our local weather guy is really into doughnuts, and he put one of the watch vs warnings things up last week but it referred to doughnuts Smile MMMM strawberry cheesecake cupcake sounds YUMMY!!

Margaret - CONGRATS on an awesome race yesterday! Woohoo for the AG win and the 3rd place female win! Gorgeous photos as usual Smile I think your 70 degrees and East Coast 70 degrees is a bit different Smile Glad it wasn’t too hot out there. Love the swag!  That is something different! I had to laugh out loud at the Bernie name too, glad I wasn’t the only one Smile

Oh yes, bushy brew guy. My brother used to have very thick curly hair (kinda like Justin Timberlake) so they nicknamed him BUSHY! Smile Now that he is a bit older, his hair isn’t as thick and its receding a little Smile Shh, don’t tell him I said that.

Docket - I am soooo jealous of your schedullleeee.

Kilmisters - Good luck on the 10 this evening!! You should just record the game and watch it later like you have been doing. I won’t spoil anything I promise!! Who gets up at 3am besides me? LOL.

Have a great day everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have 13 miles tonight.

Lisa, glad you looked at the positive instead of stressing about something that's neither you nor in your control.  I have every other Friday off (which I prefer than Monday but I could switch to Monday if I wanted to).  They have it so that you work 9 of the 10 days per pay period.

Liz, enjoy the rest.

Damaris

Kilmisters

Lisa, you find the race and I will take care of the beer/wine/whatever Smile I mentioned the possibility to DH; his reaction ''oh, cute, so US ultra trail people will come here and create a long-distance runner cray-cray event?'' Uuuhm... Sounds about right Big grin

Lizzie, the issue w watching the next day is - having to avoid Twitter, FB, hockey forums (easiest part); texting all friends hockey fans in advance, and putting a small line of duct tape on the lower part of laptop screen (because otherwise you can see where the ''time marker'' is relative to the whole timeline in the video and can easily understand whether there will be OT or not).

82 degrees. Waiting for eve to get my 10k in.

I am rehearsing my presentation and just cannot squeeze under 15mins... Time given to me is 10mins, so since it will not be a TOO official of an event next week, I am just hoping it's not too big of a deal. Honestly don't want to delete anything that is currently there.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

LC Runs

Happy Mom's Day to all (cause our pets are our kids, too!)

5 miles with BRF and her hubby mid morning, it was a bit warmer than I like but we went later so they could go to church.  It worked out fine since then I could laze around this morning and not be rushed.  Heading to meet my mom and DD's for lunch in a bit, then I will catch my older DS soccer game later this afternoon.

Sandy - great 11 and enjoy the busy week!

Elina - wow 77 degrees is hot for a LR, especially when you're used to cooler temps.  Great Job!  I agree about the $$ for good beer!

Kat - UGH on the key and getting locked out.  Glad your dog sitter had an extra.

K - great run and I love the cupcake analogy!

Lizzie - My BF cooks the best burgers, mine are usually on the dry side.  I am into a new show on Netflix called "Safe", it stars the guy from Dexter except he is a good guy in this one, it takes place in the UK so he has an English accent.  We are on episode 5 of 8.

Margaret - awesome job!!

Damaris - have a good day!

Lisa - I love those cards, very true words!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

5k went well. I was hoping for rain to cool things off, but it held off until the drive home. It was humid, but in the 60s, so not horrible. Unofficially 26:10, which is fastest in 2 years, well tied exactly with the one 2 years ago. Somehow I ran the last miles in 8:11, which I am fairly certain is the fastest I have ever run the last mile, just need to speed up miles 1 and 2 now. Really small, all women's race, 6th OA, 1st (really 2nd) masters. They seemed to hand out the masters awards based on 10 year AG (so masters= 40-49, grand = 50-59, etc). 4th place was 60+, so usually she would have been 1st masters,

GatsbyBird, that trail looks beautiful and tough. I know I'd trip over those roots. Congrats on the OA award.

Lizzie, there was a doughnut warning at the race. Hope Ruger enjoys the visit.

LCRuns, my burgers tend to be dry too. I prefer ground beef cooked all the way through, so it's a bit of a trade off.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

HCK, Mmmm, cupcakes.  Hope the race went well and the weather was tolerable.  Just read, sorry it was humid.  Congrats on the stellar time.

Margaret, congrats on the race and what pretty pics.  So looking forward to meeting you!!!

Damaris, enjoy those miles!

Lisa, I would totally do the 50K with you, but I am pretty positive you will start out running more and faster than this lazy thing.  Even gimpy I bet you will do it!

Lizzie, don't you just HATE waking up thinking you are late.  Totally sucks.

Elina, hope it cooled off for you tonight to get a good one in.  Yeah, Mom was a little freaky.

Sitting here at work, bored, but had a good start.  Quite surprised actually it being Mothers Day and all.  Not my first choice of what I would want to do...  Killing time before lunch, where I will tip back my car seat and nap.

Really looking forward to summer, and beyond.  Lots of fun things.  May - Pinelands/Maine, July - Sandy/Austin and Mom visits, August - start my tattoo, September - Lisa/Hell (MI), October - Mom/Polar Bears/Canada and my GF visits, December - my 50th/Brazos Bend, March - Mom/Sri Lanka/Dubai (I hope this still will be a go.)  What cool things await me.  Even with the job crap out, I am a lucky girl.

Sigh, not much else to tell without boring the crud out of you all.  Maybe watch more ultra videos.  Sandy got me started yesterday.  In the middle of a Billy Yang one on Western States.

Hope all you mothers out there are having a lovely day and to those of us non-moms, enjoy!

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Happy mother's day to anyone celebrating.  I ran 8.3 with a RC friend this morning, now doing laundry and other chores.  One toe is feeling a little sore, like I jammed it during the race yesterday.  Not sure if the toenail will survive...

HCK, nice job at the 5k!  Congrats on the masters award.

Kat, you have some super awesome amazing adventures coming up!  Including one with us in less than 2 weeks!  Wheeee!  I just PM'd you with my info for PInelands.

Lisa, Latvia next year?  And what race(s) do you have in mind?  

Kilmisters, one good thing about ultra races is that there's usually good beer at the end.  Of course, there's also good beer at the pub down the road, which is much closer and easier to get to.

Damaris, hope you had a good run tonight.

LC, my RB didn't want to go until 9:30 so I had a lazy morning too.  My birds were all, "what are you still doing here, don't you have somewhere to go?"  

Lizzie, you really must have needed rest!  9.5 hours is a lot of sleep! Very sweet that little E wanted to meet his furry brother.

Hope that everyone else had a good weekend!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR