Womens Running

Play time WEEKENDS (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, I will try to weigh before and after a run to see what the results are. I  brought DD's scale up for her. (This was a problem when DS wanted me to provide an accurate weight of the load the car was carrying. How do you weigh a scale?!)

Liz, sorry there are issues with your mum. It is your wedding!

Race report:

First observation: 25K this one is not. The way the trails run mean that it’s not going to be an exact distance, this race doesn’t have out and backs that can be modified to make the mileage come out to the billed distance. The RD advised before the start that his Strava app had said the course was close to 17 miles. I think the trees confused his app, by my estimation it’s about 18. Not a big deal for me, I’m sure there were some faster runners complaining about the distance and a few first timers who thought this was not much more than a half marathon and were in for a rude surprise.

I considered the 50K but assessed my overweight, undertrained self and decided I didn’t want to get pulled because I didn’t meet the time cutoffs, nor did I want to make the aid station staffers have to wait a long time for one last straggler. Sensible decision, it turns out. I registered for the 25K, which started at 9 AM, rather than the 50K which started at 7 AM. I’d have had to do a very early start to avoid being the last one. Not that being DFL worries me, I’m not competitive in the slightest and I’ve had plenty of experience with that place, but I don’t want to make the nice folks at the finish line have to wait hours for my slow self.

Left DD’s home at 7:15 AM, drove a completely unfamiliar road up to Mt. Spokane State Park, with a stop to buy the mandatory state park pass. I coughed up $30 for the annual pass rather than $10 for a one-day pass, I figure DD can use it a few times during the year since she has joined the hiking group at her workplace. Also I’m planning to fly up for a less extreme 50K in October and that’s also in a state park which requires a park pass, but any race that takes place completely in a park named “Riverside” is probably not going to have an extreme amount of ascent and descent. I hope.

Arrived at Selkirk Ski Lodge, the start/finish, about 8:15, got my number, handed a happy volunteer the chocolate chip cookies and marmalade bars I had baked for postrace festivities, and hung around until about 8:50 when the RD, Dave, gave us some last minute briefing. The 50K had started at 7 AM so they were all out on the ski trails around the start – the 25K is on the second half of the 50K course. Dave marches us all down to the starting point and airhorns us off. I hung back and took the last place position right from the start, I knew I wasn’t going to have a speedy day. Not long after we started down the mountain the 50K leaders start passing us.

Lovely 4.4 to start. We run down, and down, and down the mountain to Bear Creek Lodge at the entrance to the state park. Wild raspberries are fruiting, I go easy on them because I don’t want to have too many and deal with the GI effects. But yum! This is all forested, some with big ferns and other damp climate vegetation, some small streams running down the mountain though the fire road/snowmobile trail we’re on has the streams piped under the road.

I get to the first aid station, don’t need a water refill though I am glad I brought my water bottle and belt because this is a cupless race. (No boob jokes please!) Grab one Dorito and head across the road and up the fire road. Not far and then we turn onto a trail which is listed as “Dammit Dave” on one of the signs that the race has posted at approximately 1 mile intervals. I find out why very quickly. This is a very steep hill. A couple of the “steps” are above knee height on me so I have to scramble up them. We climb, and climb, and climb. Nice wooded area, OK technical trail, but unrelenting uphill.

Then we get to a short horizontal trail, take that a little way, and start climbing again. I detour down the horizontal bit for a private moment in the woods, then resume the ascent. Wow this is tough. I am dodging not only 50Kers who are going faster than me but also mountain bikers coming down. Most of them are nice and thank me for stepping off the trail, and let me know how many more are in their group, but a few seem to assume that they have the right of way and hikers/runners/walkers should get off the trail or face the consequences. Grrr.

I keep on thinking that I’m coming up to the next aid station which is supposed to be at 8 miles, but I get past what I think is 8 miles and no aid station. I don’t hear anything either. Keep slogging uphill. Finally I hear music and almost immediately reach Aid 2/3. Oooh, they have watermelon. I love it! They also have bacon, which I don’t want, and various other goodies.

The next piece of trail is a 4 mile loop to the top of Mt. Kit Carson, after which we wind up back at the same aid station. I take off on this loop. There is a fork almost immediately, the trail markers tell me to go right which is longer but not as rugged. The trails come back together a half mile later, and one guy is coming up the more rugged trail. I mutter something about course cutters – I’m not so upset about that as I am by the fact that he is wearing speakers which are blasting his choice of music to everyone within a ¼ mile radius. I do not like wearable speakers. If I wanted to listen to music I’d have headphones on, I don’t want to listen to what someone else thinks is necessary to get him through the race. And why is music essential anyway?

Continue up the loop, which is pretty. I’m singing the theme to “Sound of Music” at one point because the flowery meadow looks so much like the one Maria is running up in the opening sequence. Up to the top of the rise, turn left, the trail gets almost to the edge and then pulls a 90 degree turn. I step off the course for 10 yards to see what it looks like. Oh WOW. Immense vista of the Spokane Valley. Snap a couple of pictures and keep going. The next sign reads “That’s a really stupid idea. What time?” which makes me laugh. Down a number of switchbacks, up a fire road, and I’m back at the aid station. They are flat out of watermelon, not surprising, so I grab a few Pringles and take off. I am advised that it is 3 miles to the aid station at the top of Mt. Spokane.

This section involves a lot of switchbacks. And by a lot, I mean 30-40. Up and back and up and back. I dodge a few more mountain bikers and greet a man who’s been checking the huckleberry bushes to see if they’re ripe. (They’re not. A couple more weeks, he thinks. At least now I know what a huckleberry looks like when it’s growing.) This is a really tough section, lots of climbing through areas that have been logged. At one point I hear something crashing through the brush, watch worriedly since I’m fully aware that meeting a bear is a distinct possibility, then realize that it’s a deer. I can deal with a deer a lot more easily than I can deal with a bear or a mountain lion. I make it to the top of the mountain, watching the incoming clouds with concern. I hear thunder a few times and am worried about lightning.

Aid station, finally! Refill of water, none of the food looks good to me. I’m not a fan of Oreos or beef jerky. 3.5 miles to the finish line, they say. (Uh, yes, if you’ve been keeping a tally, that WOULD be an 18.5 mile “25k”.) They send me down the trail. This part goes past the top of the ski lift, which I have never seen before since I have never been skiing in my life. OK so far. Then the trail turns a corner and the descent is on a black diamond slope. This loose soil and rock could give the infamous descent at Calico Ghost Town 50K a run for its money. I edge down slowly, zigzagging to avoid going straight down the slope and falling. Another runner passes me and we commiserate about the awful trail. Seems all the ski slopes here are black diamonds! Make it down that stretch, run down some less steep fire trail, then more very steep descent on a deeply rutted dusty path. I am afraid to run here because I don’t know what the dust is concealing. If I didn’t have to run down this road it would be gorgeous, though, grassy with lots of wildflowers and a little stream in the middle of the valley.

Make it down to the road that services the ski area. Several places where water runs across the path, though none that are deep enough that I need to wade, which is good because my shoes are coated with dust and I don’t want them to be covered in mud. And oh…no…the pink flags take us up a very steep uphill. If the previous climbs were “Dammit, Dave”, this one is “F You, Dave”. I ascend swearing. I pass two hikers who tell me it’s not too far to the finish and inquire if I have enough water. Yes I do, but thanks for asking. This stretch is a lot longer than I anticipated. I pass a large extended family which has come to pick huckleberries. My shorts and short hair get looks of disapproval, the women in this group are all wearing skirts below the knee and braided or pinned up hair – even the elementary school age girls. But they do show me how to tell if a huckleberry is ripe, which is something I didn’t know.

Traverse the trail, dodge the road, down another piece of trail, and then I finally recognize the last turn and shortcut trail which we were shown this morning. I am happy to get there. It’s a beautiful run but I’m ready to be done. Up the slope and into the parking area, now we are required to run all the way around the parking lot. If the last climb was “F You Dave”, this one is the “And the Horse You Rode In On” loop. I pass the turnoff that we’re supposed to make and am told to retrace my steps to do the turnoff. I ascend the turnoff whilst displaying a double bird to the finish line people. They all laugh. Finally I am done! Nearly 7 hours for this race, I’m not sure how much elevation this entailed but I would be surprised if it is less than 6000 ascent and the same for descent. My quads hurt! Pictures, offers of food, one volunteer informs me sadly that all the cookies are gone. No worries – that’s why I brought them! Glad they were appreciated. I chat with the RD for a short time and head back down.

This is not a race for those who want a lot of bells and whistles. No shirt, no medal, no big production. Just a bunch of people who want to run the trails. I can do that. We had a blast and I am very glad I did this race. It’s low key and a way to see a lot of a state park which most Americans, and even the majority of Washington residents, will never see. Nice experience!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me!

Slept until 8am this morning! I see a lot of naps in my future as well. We might be having dinner with HCF's parents tonight..we will see. Other then that, just the usual adulting on tap for today.

We had a great time at the boil yesterday. Bob really enjoyed it and the seafood is yummy! Emerson is so cute...he is trying to crawl but right now he is doing the army crawl Smile Adorable.

OH the photographer...she is it!! We spoke for an hour and she showed us her pictures..so gorgeous. We left and immediatly emailed the wedding planner to let her know that we wanted her. We will have the contract on Monday! A little money than we wanted to spend and I am thinking we could have haggled the price a little, but photography is one area that I don't want to skimp on. We have to look at those pictures forever. My mom is going to think we should have consulted her but...whatever. Smile We are excited!

We have 2 florist appointments tomorrow. I might change it to just 1. They are on separate sides of town at rush hour..ugh. I don't think we would make the second one on time.

Diane - One thing my mom is doing is kinda holding it over our heads that she is paying. I think if she continues, we aren’t going to accept the money. Its not worth it to be stressed for a year! Hope the 12 went okay! Did you end up going outside today?

Kathryn - Hope you had a good day at work yesterday!

Docket - Yuck, hope you are feeling a bit better today! Summer colds are the worst. Wait, its always Summer where you are.

Carol - Hope the hike with DH went well! I can understand the requirement as well. They might have had some cases in the past where some very out of shape people signed up!

Karen - I love the speaker idea you are doing with the group this year. I don’t feel like you had that many last year? So awesome! I would love to sit in the back while you did a talk. I can’t picture your introvert self doing that Smile BUT..I know you probably are so awesome at it. That is a lot of math for the sweat test. I am already lost. I would try it but I stay away from scales! I hope the long run goes well today!

Sandy - When I was first reading your post, I saw 25ish miles..and I thought that was what you had RUN! I was like, HOLY CRAP GO SANDY! Smile Still, biking that long is just as awesome Smile Hope you had a nice relaxing afternoon yesterday! Smile Oh, I am always forever tired and hungry. Today will be the worst. The rest day after I am done with a 60 mile week is usually the day I am the most hungry and tired. I am interested to see how your sweat test goes.

Laura - Congratulations on the 10K SPEEDY! That is awesome that you beat your time from last year! Maybe because you have more rest days now? Haha, kidding Smile Congrats on the AG win! I loved the photo you posted!! Smile Hope you and DD had fun!

Run4kupcakes - If you are ever successful with sneaking that food scale upstairs, let us know how much they weigh Smile

Margaret - Uh, I think you have earned the slacker title for a FEW WEEKS! Smile Are you just kinda taking it day by day as far as miles go? My peak week this training cycle is around 65. I have never done that much before so we will see how it goes. I was trying to get 4 60 mile weeks in this training cycle. The last one I did 2. Gorgeous photos as usual!! Smile I have a hard time with the bike seat as well.

Tessa - Loved the race report! You aren’t a fan of Oreos?! I will take your share. I am also surprised you have never been skiing! The area of the country you live in has some great areas to ski! Glad you had such a great time! Congratulations!! Smile

Happy Sunday!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

dhuffman63

Trails

Headache went away and I got the 12 in on the TM.  It's been storming since yesterday but we need the rain. Have 8 today but sadly won't be outside.  I've come to terms with the rain but won't run in t-storms...no shelter on the road.

Tessa that sounds like my kind of race...I've got enough tshirts and unless it's a buckle or truly unique I have a ton of race medals.  Not sure I'd like the Fing' Dave but I've got lots of cuss words I can use...right Lisa...lol.

Karen, I've done the sweat test...not your average person...I'm less than 100 lbs and don't sweat much...I lost maybe a lb once.  Course I really can't afford to lose any.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Sounds like a toughie Tessa, but pretty.  Glad you got it done.

Lizzie, glad Bob's boil was a success!!!  Mom is paying?  Boy, that is a hard one.

Diane, great on the 12.

Margaret, nice pics!!

Hi to everyone else on page 1.  No time for more personals, must shower soon...

Work was a yawner yesterday and I was absolutely pooped after.  I had one glass of wine when I got home and was too tired to get up and get another...  Until after an hour nap that was...    I was supposed to go to a meet up event, but damn, it was 100* out and they were sitting outside, "in the shade."  No thanks.

Work again today, likely to be busy just based on which location it is.

Have a great Sunday.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ran 6 last night to punish myself for missing OTF, lol.  I have 12 tonight.

Laura, congrats on the race!  Well done.

Carol, nice job on the hike.  Enjoy!

Margaret, congrats again.  Those are some great pictures.

Tessa, great job and RR!  I don't understand why there isn't watermelon at every water station of marathons or above distance.  It's delicious!

Liz, glad you have a photographer, yay!  Yeah, even a bit more money is worth it for your big day.  Enjoy the rest.

Diane, nice 12.  Enjoy the TM 8.  I have not run outside (except for the marathons) since March or April...

Kat, yeah, I wouldn't go outside for anything in that shit.  It's 97F here already at 10am, FFS.

Damaris

LC Runs

3.1 - Holy crud, I must have raced hard yesterday cause that was tough.  Also doesn't help that I waited until 10 am when it is 70 and humid 

Tessa - awesome job and you write such great RR!!

Lizzie - glad you had fun last night and YAH on finding a photographer!  I hope your mom settles down about trying to control everything.

Diane - Sweet TM run!!

Kat - hope work today is busier so that it goes faster!

Margaret - you are never a slacker, love the pics!!

Damaris - have a good 12!

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

59 minute out and back run yesterday (a little over 6 miles) and an 1 hour and 54 minute long run this morning (a little over 11 miles).  The weather has been very cool and humidity has been low.  So I decided to make it tough and do my hilly long run route this morning.  My legs were mad at me about halfway through.    It's been a pretty low key weekend, took the kids shopping yesterday.  Not sure what is on the agenda today.  I need to fast for bloodwork tomorrow morning, but nothing different than my normal routine since I eat dinner early and breakfast late.  

Lizzie, congrats on your first 60 mile training week!  Nice that it finished with an awesome run!  Ugh on the issues with your mom!  The money thing does complicate matters.  Glad you had a great time at the seafood boil!  Sounds so yummy.  Also cool that you found a photographer already!  Wow, it's coming together.  

Damaris, damn your hubby and his cold!  

Carol, so the hiking with DH  has not been going well?  

Karen, it really sounds like you are doing well at the group coaching and it seems to be a natural fit for you, even though it feels outside your comfort zone!  The sweat thing... I will lose at least 2 pounds when running long, and that's on a 10 mile run.  I probably don't drink as much as I should while running.  I get really thirsty afterwards!  As part of this training plan I have not been fueling on my long runs.  Not a huge deal, since I shouldn't be running more than 11 miles.  Yeah, it will be interesting to see how my November half goes.  The long runs aren't as long, but the run the day before is also the fastest sustained run of the week.  So I suppose there is the "tired legs" thing.    But I do think the plan has really helped me to get my fitness back to a fairly good level after being off for so long.

Sandy, nice bike ride!  People shouldn't hate us too much for the nice weather, we put up with a lot of crap during the winter.    Sounds like you are having a nice weekend!

Laura, awesome race!  Congrats!  Hope you enjoyed the show!  That was our activity for my bachelorette party.  

Margaret, you look happy in that photo!  You look pretty fresh for mile 30.  

Tessa, that sounds like a tough "25K".  Interesting about the women with the long skirts.  Religious thing?  Nice that they taught you about huckleberries though.  

Diane, nice miles on the TM!

Cathy

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just under 5 miles yesterday and 8 today. Tried to do a workout today 3k at marathon pace, 2k at HM pace, 1k at 10k pacec. DId ok with the first 2, last one was rough. I don't do well with fast & longer efforts in summer. DH is travelling next week, so hopefully I can do the kitchen scale experiment with no witnesses

Anonymous Guest

Laura, congrats on the 10K AG placement! That is awesome. And good that you got out there for a few more miles today.

HCK, I was surprised that the clothes didn't make any difference (first time I did it wearing clothes which were sopping wet and hanging off me when done, second time I weighed myself naked both times and let the sweat on my body dry before the second weighing). Both times said about 46 oz/hour. I hope you do check the before/after weight of you clothes - interested to see the difference.

Sandy, nice biking miles yesterday!

Carol, didn't you say awhile back that you were thinking about starting a running group in your area? Mine is part of a national organization, so there's a bunch of information and help online, with the other group organizers and with the president of the whole thing. You could start your own "chapter" in Michigan. There are a lot of them in TX, especially the Houston area since it started here, but they also have them in Florida, Boston, Ohio, San Jose, the PNW, etc.

Margaret, you should own the slacker title for this week. You definitely earned it! I think the bike seat is both finding one that is comfortable and also getting used to it. And padded bike shorts.

Tessa, nice job on the race and the race report. Any race that spends that much time in a ski area is probably hillier than I want to see!

Liz, yay on the photographer! Agree, that is something you don't want to go cheap on - they will be around forever. On doing the talks, for some weird reason, although I hate small talk and am super uncomfortable at parties and stuff like that, I am weirdly good at giving presentations. In various jobs, bosses would be worried about me doing them because I'm generally really quiet, don't speak up in meetings, etc. But give me a captive audience and apparently I'm good - no nerves, usually get some laughs and people say I'm good at it. Maybe because the bar is so low and people don't expect me to be able to do it.....but make the subject running related and I can apparently talk forever. On the other hand, I will be glad to have a few weeks off from talking about stuff after next Saturday. You are right, we did not have many speakers/seminars last year. I didn't know any better, and the person that was supposed to be the organizer and setting them up didn't understand she was supposed to be doing that.

Diane, I'm glad you were able to get the 12 done. Good luck with the 8 today - I probably should have done my run inside this morning.

Kat, I think the part where it doesn't cool down at night is the hardest part of summer. More than once I've thought about going somewhere in the evening, walked outside, said nope, and walked back in.

Cathy, nice runs this weekend. I can handle the odd number of minutes much better if the distances are a little over than if they are a little under. I don't know why. The plan has seemed to really get you back up and running strong pretty quickly.

I ran 13 this morning. I wanted more, but it was already 80 when i got up. I think the overnight low was 79. I drove to a closer park so I'd at least have some shade, took a lot of walk breaks, stopped back by my car twice to refill my water, and it was still miserable. Later this coming week the overnight low is supposed to get down to 70, so that will be my long run day. At least 16 this coming Thursday, maybe more.

Okay, I should probably eat something. And hydrate. I got home, took a shower and then just kinda crashed for the last couple hours.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Bikerchick1

Karen - Yes, I have been “talking” about trying to pull together something in this area.  There are a few runand Tri clubs, but our local one does not really seem to fit a lot of people.  I would love it if you had info about your organization.  I didn’t realize it was a national organization.  That is Great!

Tessa - Great RR!  You amaze me.

Liz - I can see where the $ part would complicate the mother/daughter issues.  Too bad it has to be that way Sad

Cathy - So good to see you getting these double digit runs again!!!

Diane - Glad the headache went away,

Laura - You mustbhave raced hard!!!   Which race was it?

5 this morning...I have been doing most of my runs alone lately, and am enjoying them!  With vacations, etc., RB’s have been out of town.

Carol

Anonymous Guest

Carol, I will PM you some stuff to look at. It's a lot of fun and really rewarding.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Bikerchick1

Karen - Thanks!  My last day of work is Tuesday, I am admitting to freaking out a bit........I’m happy, but...huge deal not to work after many, many years...so this might be a good thing to look at!

dhuffman63

Trails

Carol not sure how I'd adjust...worked since I was 12 (bagging horse shit and selling for people's gardens).

Got the 8 in and then we went out for Japanese.  I have to spend next week in KC doing an audit and have been stressing how to get my miles in.  The hotel only has a small workout area and I'm not comfortable walking in a strange area...I can take my mace tho so that should help.  Finished with 32 mile for the week.