Womens Running

What? Wednesday? (DAILIES) (Read 18 times)

I'm all better!! Must have been my body finally needing a serious rest after trying to fight it off for weeks, just asking for ONE day! Was kind enough to let me finish the AC 55K   Didn't get feverish or coughing fits, so that's good.  DH is still not feeling well, poor guy.

AC 55K RR:  Kats made it through the snowstorm from Phoenix.  WTG Kathryn!!  I met on the road near my home and she followed me all the way to Page.  We picked up bib/race shirt first and checked into hotel.  While waiting for Lisa, we got our running gear ready, with our drop bag for Page Rim A.S. at mile 23. We met up with Lisa at the expo where she picked up her stuff and had dinner at one of the local bar/grill..........with ALL the other runners, LOL!!  At least it seemed that way, HA!

Got up early to cheer on Lisa for her 50 miler at 6 am although we didn't see her.  It was around 22 degrees, BRRR!!  It is always so cool to see all the runners' headlamps bouncing along the still-darkened trail. We stayed warm in our vehicles until our 55K start time at 7 am.  My goal time was to finish between 4-5 pm, or 8-9 hrs.  Strategy is to run/walk/run, sit and eat at all the aid stations, enjoy the views, take pics and finish upright. Only ran about 12 miles the week of the race due to the body aches, but I felt rested. I made/took some hummus wraps and peanut butter wraps, some jerky, trail nuts, gins-gins and clif bars.

I stayed up with about 5 'younger' female runners till after the slot canyon portion.  We helped each other when we had to climb up some boulders to reach the ridges. The Waterholes slot canyon was absolutely amazing!  We all stopped and took photos, I took some videos.  After climbing the ladder to get out of the canyon, I was on my own.  After climbing up another ridge, it was a dirt road to mile 18 A.S (second pass) where I picked up my light jacket that I left.  Every now and then, I felt the chills when the breeze felt cooler in the open areas.  I didn't have my garmin but they had signs of the miles run and miles to next A.S. and to finish.  I spent about 10 mins at each A.S., sat and ate, hydrate, change in/out of light jacket/windbreaker, shake loose sand out of socks/shoes.  Although the snow from day before kept the sand runnable till later in the day when it warmed up.

I reached mile 21 A.S. and stomach is feeling upset.  I eat a couple of bananas, chips and gulp some ginger ale while sitting down.  Stretched and took off again.  About 1/2 mile, I got off the trail to puke!!   Felt so much better, LOL!!  Found my gins-gins which settled my stomach.  After climbing up and reaching Page Rim A.S. at mile 23 (first pass), I stuffed my light jacket in my drop bag and texted Kats. After some time, she finally texted me she stopped at mile 22!!

The Page Rim trail is a popular local trail.  I didn't know about this.  It's pretty flat, not technical at all, with a few short ups/downs.  The east side has the view of the power plant but a panoramic view of the distant mesas, buttes, and Lake Powell.  We have a out and back up a gradual sandy hill to the Lake Powell A.S. to register our time. I ate 1/2 bowl of the watermelons they had!!  Then a couple of bites of my wrapped hummus.  Then continued on the rim trail. This northern view is of Lake Powell, nice!  Then it winds south where we get a view of the Glen Canyon Dam, then southeast towards Page Rim A.S. again (second pass).  This part is not so scenic with the golf course and town, and I'm getting bored .........and knee is very achy and unhappy.  Every now and then, I stop and stretch, couple of close calls with cramping on inner thigh area.  This is the LONGEST 10K ever!  After reaching a bend, there's another!!

Finally see the A.S. tent and I do not stop as I run along the ridge where you can see the finish area.  One more climb down, sprinted across the sandy area and passed 2 other runners, up the walkway which opens to the FINISH!!  WOOHOO!!

Time is 9 hrs, 19 mins, a little over my goal time but I'm happy with it.  I probably  could have finish 30-45 mins early but I was satisfied with my effort. I'm use to running similar trails with lots of scooting on your butt down and climbing up rocky, sandy slickrock technical mountainous areas. I love it!! 

Kats greeted me at the finish and we sat down for awhile before getting some post-race pizza.  I got a really NICE ceramic mug instead of a medal.  Many of the trail races I run usually don't give medals, it's either a beanie, a pint glass or mug.

We drove back to hotel, showered and drove back to cheer in Lisa.  We missed her again!!  by a few minutes!!  But we all met up for dinner afterwards.

Kats left early the next morning for her plane tour, I slept in.  Got up congested, body aches but I jogged on the TM for 30 minutes to work out the kinks, lots of stretching, 5 min elliptical and bike.  Then drove home.  It was great to finally meet Kats and Lisa.    I will try to post some photos.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats, Diana!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

6.9 miles with 4 hard. Moved the workout from Friday because running fast in 40 mph winds isn't gonna happen.  Last mile was under 9 minutes, which hasn't happened on a training run in a long time.

Docket, glad DH is at home recovering. Hope you can get some rest.

AztoMn, congrats on the race. Seeing the pictures Kat posted, that looked hard.