Womens Running

Yeah Weekend Dailies. (Read 17 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Didn't work.  Did you put the picture link?  It has to be the jpg link address.  And into the map icon above, rather than the link one.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Hey friends! How it go? I ran 5 easy today with a few others. 5 of us this morning, including 2 that are coaching next year so I wasn't the only gross sweaty one at our coaches meeting. Which went well. I have a great group of coaches if I do say so myself. Then I had to drive way the hell over to the other side of Houston to pick up my Gatorade for the season. That took over two hours. DH is out running some errands and is supposed to pick up the van from storage and bring it home so we can start loading it up for vacation. I need to look at the fridge (and the size of the freezer) in there before I go get our groceries for the trip. Plus we have a couple small projects to do on it before we leave.

Kathryn and Lisa, hope things are going well out there. Just keep moving forward! That reminds me, I need to add nuts to my grocery list.

Liz, this is so exciting! And wow, just wow on that land. You can forge some trails in there and go trail running without ever leaving home! Are the houses custom or are you limited in design/choices? While custom would be nice, if they have certain floor plans and design options you can lock in a price that won't change.

Damaris, enjoy the 6.

Margaret, I better get moving on a house then! I have said I wish I'd been a runner when we lived in northern CA. If we end up with a place in Ashland, it's practically just really northern CA.

Laura, yay on getting out there this morning. Our insurance works the same with windshields. DH needs his replaced so I contacted insurance and they are sending Safelite out to our house Monday morning.

HCK, love it when a training thing ends early. Nice 7 last night.

Lori, what D and HCK said. Or if not facebook, I upload it to something like tinypic.com or imgur and then copy and paste the code into the box here.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

apparently I'm inept.  Lol

No worries. My photos don't usually look good anyway. I hope it tastes good though.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, not sure I'd say "this is practically just really northern CA" to residents of Ashland. I've been up there a number of times and a good many people do not want to acknowledge the existence of their southern neighbor. Mind you, many of the residents of the northern part of CA don't want to be associated with the likes of San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Los Angeles either...

No, Liz, no extra days. The hotel was expensive and I am swamped at work. I had to get a sub for Wednesday night's class as it was. I flew out on Saturday, arrived in London on Sunday midday, had meetings all day Monday and Tuesday, then flew back on Wednesday -- 4 PM flight from Heathrow which arrived in LA at 7 PM but lasted 11 hours. Endless afternoon. I force myself to stay up until bedtime when I get there, even though I haven't really had a night's sleep, so I can sleep and then get up for the morning in the UK. Also stay up on the return flight so I can go to sleep when I get home. Unfortunately that means I lose one night.

HCK, keep at it -- you're doing better than I am at posting pics!

Judy, "Taos hum"? Not sure what that is. All Karen and I heard were exclamations of delight as we ate at what had been recommended as Taos's best ice cream shop. And it was good ice cream...

And I now have a cold. Bah.

However, managed 5 miles this morning. I wanted to do more but I have so much at home and I was coughing up a lung by the time my run was over, so that was it for today.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Karen, busy busy busy, I see!

Tessa, grrrr.  Feel better.

Damaris

So here's a kind of cool thing.  Trail Sisters started an initiative to make races equally friendly to women as to men.  They are highlighting some obvious things, like equal prize money, but also some less obvious things, like providing feminine hygiene products at aid stations.  Western States signed the pledge, and when I picked up my aid station supplies today, tampons and pads were included with the other standard supplies.   WS is the kind of event that could do whatever the heck it wants, and it makes me happy that they're being supportive.  Trail Sisters is also a good group, I encourage everyone to check them out.  Even if trail running is not your thing, they have good articles and are a good resource on issues relevant to women runners: https://www.trailsisters.net

So, that trip to Auburn for supplies pick up and a detour to my Dad's for dinner was pretty much my day.

Karen, Tessa -- True, although Ashland is practically NorCal, I think OR would rather we stay on our side of the border.  One of these days they're going to start building a wall.

Lori, nice 5 miler.  Keep fiddling with the photos, you'll get it.  I put pics in a private album on FB too.  Or make them private so only I can see them on FB.

LC, I kind of miss rain.  Pretty sure we're done with rain until October.

HCK, hallelujah for being able to leave early on Fri.

For tomorrow, either 18 mile trail run or a bit less plus kettlebells.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Good Morning!! Rest day over here. I need it.

We had fun at my parents yesterday. Food was good and always good to see Baby E!

HCF and I walked the land yesterday and I just fell even more in love. Besides the bugs anyway. OMG I had a panic attack back there LOL. The lot is completely wooded right now so I went in with jeans and sweatshirt on but HCF had on a short sleeve shirt - he turned around and had ticks all over his shirt. I flipped. AHHH!! But the lot..AH-MAZING! here are two more pictures..just to give you an idea.

This would be our backyard view. Maybe a little more over to the left..but you get the idea. The lot is sloped so we would be higher up.

This is a view of where the house will be placed. Very pretty and SO QUIET!

Docket - For the potato salad I added - red potatoes, celery, onion, mustard, greek yogurt, hard boiled egg, salt and pepper and paprika. Simple but it was really good. Construction won’t start for a while! They told us 6-8 weeks just to get drawings. I am thinking 8 months.

Margaret - Glad the week turned out better than you had hoped! Hope you had a great time at your dads Smile How AWESOME about the trail sisters supplies. Thats really cool. I could have used that during GC!! HA. Have fun on today’s workout!

Run4kupcakes - This really was the longest week ever. Nice run last night! I upload pictures the same way.

Lori - 5 is better than none, right? Smile I want to see the cake!!

Karen - Nice run yesterday with the group! What was the story with the ducks?! Smile 2 hours to pick up Gatorade?! WTH. I hope its really good. LOL. Exciting about vacation!! The entire house is custom. So, we went online actually and picked out a floorpan we like (some random place online) and we made some slight changes. Little changes like adding a mudroom, makeup vanity in the bathroom, walk in kitchen pantry etc. I also wouldn’t mind a real open floor plan - kinda like your house, but I go back and forth with that. Sometimes I think its nice to have a little separation. Anyway, we ARE going to stay as close to that budget as possible. To be honest, I am a little scared. Just because I have never bought a house before or had to make tough decisions like countertops or paint colors.  It intimidates me! Especially a mortgage payment - I always pay HCF for half Smile

Tessa - Wow, you must have been exhausted! That was a busy trip. Nice miles and I hope you feel better! Maybe caught the cold while traveling.

Happy Sunday!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Anonymous Guest

Rest day for me today. I may go to the Y and lift weights (wut?) or do a kettlebell workout here. I'm going to try to get a longish run in tomorrow or Tuesday since I don't know how much running I'll get in on the trip. Especially W/Th/F when we'll be doing a good bit of driving.

Congratulations Kathryn and Lisa on the 50 mile finish at Mohican!! And for signing up (or getting yourselves signed up) for Rocky along the way.

Tessa, good point. I would never actually say anything like that to the people. I was referring to the climate, the trees, the mountains.......those things that aren't really different just over the border from one state to the next.

Margaret, that is a cool thing. I know Lisa has gotten pretty active in Trail Sisters, nice to hear your positive experience with them as well.

Liz, love love love the pictures. What an awesome place to build. Yeah, I'll be honest, when it came to picking all that stuff for this house, the builder had already spec'd out the colors/counters/cabinets/backsplash/etc. for the next one they were going to build, and we went with probably 90% of their choices. They looked good to us, plus figured they were going with colors and products that would sell well. I think you and HCF have an advantage when building custom, with his contractor experience and your property management experience, you will be great at keeping things on track and being able to communicate with the builder. Oh, the ducks - a short part of our route is crossing under a pretty major highway and running about 1/4 mile along the access road (on a walkway separated by concrete barriers). Loudest, ugliest part of the run, and in the next couple years the county is building a path from the park on one side to the running paths on the other side of the highway, but for now we run along the highway for a bit. We were coming back and a car stopped us telling us about a group of ducklings on the three-lane access road and urging us to help them (what the heck lady, you're in a car, maybe you could help). By the time we got to them, a guy had herded them to follow behind a car going slowly and was almost to the end where they could get off the road, but one duckling was still just hanging out in the fast lane. One of our runners hopped the barrier to try to get that one, which of course then started going the opposite direction and towards the highway itself. She eventually got him to the grassy part where he could go under the access road, and we all just choose to believe he did just that to meet up with his siblings.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 10 coming up.

For those that are not in FB or friends with Marjorie (Tessa, Judy), Marjorie tripped on one of her dogs and broke her nose. She had surgery a couple of days ago and is recovering well.

Margaret, that is very cool and about time kind of thing.

Liz, enjoy the rest day. yeah, never believe the initial estimates.

Karen, enjoy the rest or the weights (wut indeed).

Congrats, Lisa and Kathryn!!!

Damaris

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Quickish reply, on the phone.  Got to Lisa's with no problem, other than no sleep.  We then drove to Ohio.  Dropped our stuff off and headed to packet pickup.  Pretty mellow.  Did get some free beer and visited with a friend of Lisa's.  Decided to go get burgers for dinner at a dive restaurant with really good ones.  Crashed soon after.

Up at 3am and out the door at 4.  Drive was 40 min.  Decided to park near the finish and walk to the start. A mile away.  Sun came up a bit before 6 and we were off.    Rain was predicted for nearly the entire race.   We lucked out and it wa virtually dry till mile 35, then the skies opened  and we were utterly drenched until we were nearly done.

Really beautiful course.  Lush green surroundings, beautiful forest settings  Lots of fairly steep climbs over rocks and roots.  Definitely a challenging  course. One of the harder ones I've done.  Even some gnomes.

Finished the first lap, approx 26.5 miles in tolerable time.  Fixed some blisters and we headed back out.  Somewhat surprising, but I really wanted it.  Second loop went much much slower.  There were two tough areas of the race with step climbs - one af the start for about 3 miles, and one halfway for about 5 miles.  I DREADED the halfway part on my second loop, but made it well!!

We kept at it, until mile 35.  That is when the skies opened.  Not a little rain, not alot of rain, but buckets and buckets.  When we left the aid station at mile 35, I started to get cold and told Lisa I was done and wanted to drop at the next aid station 2.5 miles away.  Wss extremely upset and disappointed with myself.  As the miles went on, I warmed up and decided to soldier on.  12 miles remained.  I could do that.  I did, but whoa, did it take forever and ever.  We were walking through ankle deep puddles/mud for much of the last 15.

Lisa was an absolute trooper.  She put up with my extreme slowness and sometimes rather snippy responses.  Bless her soul.

So, we finished.  Sadly it took us (me) 24 hours.  Got our medals with no fanfare.  Went back to the hotel and napped for a few hours and are driving home now.  Feeling pretty happy I stuck it out and finished in less than stellar conditions on a tough course.

Guess that was longer than planned.

Cheers all!!

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Woot woot, Kat!  Love that you persevered even though the conditions sucked and it would have been so easy just to stop and say no more, thanks anyway, I'm done.  I know you had some blister problems after the last race.  How are your feet today?  You in for Rocky Raccoon?

Lisa, you are the best trail sister ever.

Lizzie, where there's woods, there are bugs.  Just make sure you have nice screened porch in your new place so you can sit outside and enjoy the lake and mother nature.  You think there are frogs in the lake?  I love hearing frogs, just something soothing about it.  Most importantly, what about a running route for you?  Have you scouted that out yet?  

Karen, a duckling rescue!  Some good karma right there.   Are the pups going with you on the road trip?

Damaris, enjoy your 10.

So I ran 7 to kettlebells, did the workout, then did another 12.  19 miles, woot!  Felt like at least a marathon, my legs are beat.  Mini taper this upcoming week then a 50k on Saturday.  Laundry and other chores on tap today.  Maybe a nap...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Margaret,  blisters were better.  I switched out shoes and that helped.  I got 3, largely because of the wet feet I think.   Yes for Rocky for me too!!!!!

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024