Womens Running

Weekendailies (Read 13 times)

Anonymous Guest

I ran 5 this morning, 1 easy, 2 MP, 1 tempo, 1 MP. This MP is a good bit slower than Boston MP - who knows, if I run it well, I could end up finishing faster.

Hot hot hot here. Probably our first 100 degree day. It was 77 when I ran this morning and that was the overnight low.

Not much else happening around here. Weekday, weekend, all the same.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job, Karen!

There was a race here and I'm sure many in my running group are out there fucking up their lungs. I'll be on the TM for my 12.

May be an image of text that says '150 100 200 50 300 Unhealthy Current Air Quality 11 AM EDT Jun 10 159 NowCast AQI PM2.5 Forecst AQI Today Tomorrow More Fire & Smol Moderate Moderate'

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

3.8 with strides. Actually got outside, air quality is greatly improved and the sky is actually blue. Sunlight is getting trhough too. Sounds like our deer population has increased. DH walkked out back last night to a deer nursing a baby deer in the back yard. This is why all plants with the exception of the grape are on the deck.

AnonymousGuest, that is a tough workout. Nice job.

Docket, you'd think with all the attention the poor air quality got, the race would cancel. Although after my experience at Salisbury and seeing what happening at Flyng Pig, I think most just DGAF about safety. I mean, they say safety is important, put their actions say otherwise.

ETA, I just went out to get strawberries (gotta buy those) and there were 2 bear sitings near where I bought them. Not surer if there are 2 bears or 1 bear moving around. The suburbanites are naturally losing their minds on FB.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Karen, shockingly we are just as hot here too.  HOT AF.  Wowza.  I did 12 yesterday and about melted at the end.

Damaris, bummer you AQI still sucks.  At least you’re used to your TM.

Kathi, I abhor snakes.  But not as much as bears.  I’d lose my shit too.

Like I mentioned, 12 yesterday, no fun.  RD today and 6 tomorrow.  Working FT job today and vaccine clinic tomorrow.  I had said I wouldn’t do any vaccine clinics this month or next, but nearly time and a half, I’ll suck it up.

6 tomorrow.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Karen, Nice speedwork, 77 would be too hot for me to move that fast.  100 is downright nasty.

Damaris, I can’t believe that a race would go forward when AQI is unhealthy. Except that I can, because RDs don’t want to deal with refunds or rescheduling. All about $$$.

HCK, how nice that your yard is a deer sanctuary.  Bear sightings?  Yikes. 

Kat, nice 12 yesterday. Hope work tomorrow is tolerable. At least the pay sounds tolerable. 

I did a hilly 30k for today’s LR. Good workout, only fell once. 

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think people check the AQ at all. Most runners I know in the NE and here were going out to run in 200-400 AQ which can cause cancer, COPD, and all sorts of bad lung things. People are stupid.

I have 5 later.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

I would argue ignorance over stupidity. If we had air quality like that here, I'd be posting articles/info on all my local running group fb pages. Not just what the AQI is that day, but what happens when you run or work out in it. Because it's not a regular thing like it unfortunately is on the west coast, people just don't know. Stupidity, on the other hand, is running the local 50k here yesterday, because we're all aware of what running in this heat is like .

Anyway, rest day for me today. Yesterday's run wasn't that bad - I adjusted paces for the heat and ran before the sun got too far overhead. For me, that was easier than a long easy run, when you're out there for hours no matter how slow you go. YMMV.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I know for a fact that my coach has been posting about the dangers of it yet two of her athletes here have continued to run outside. One even has asthma and ran in almost 200 the other day. She "claimed" she found conflicting information and that our levels in one website weren't as high as the other three. FFS.

I know one in these forums (not this group) that was told how dangerous it was and still went out when it was 250. He didn't care but rather thinks we need to be "tougher". I'm pretty sure if you are tough the PPM particles won't come into your lungs. 

Nice job in the heat! Big grin

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 with 10 x 200 plus strength training this morning.

I saw posts (not on here) bragging about running in NYC during the worst of this. I'm guessing there is an overlap of Fox News watchers and those who ran in the areas with the worst AQ. They were naturally against wearing masks outside. I find it hard to claim ignorance unless you were completely off line and kept all radio & TV off from Tuesday through Friday. Basically it was a banner on Yahoo, any weather site, local news stations, etc. Even then, if the pictures from NYC weren't filtered, do you really need someone to tell you it's probably bad to be outside when it is freaking orange out and you can't see very far? I did notice here the AQI numbers would fluctuate during the day, so you probably could find a lower reading to justify that it wass "safe".

Anonymous Guest

Well okay, then. With more information, I'm going to have to go with stupid!

In fact, perhaps we could call my attempted defense of the idiots ignorant......;

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

5 with 10 x 200 plus strength training this morning.

I saw posts (not on here) bragging about running in NYC during the worst of this. I'm guessing there is an overlap of Fox News watchers and those who ran in the areas with the worst AQ. They were naturally against wearing masks outside. I find it hard to claim ignorance unless you were completely off line and kept all radio & TV off from Tuesday through Friday. Basically it was a banner on Yahoo, any weather site, local news stations, etc. Even then, if the pictures from NYC weren't filtered, do you really need someone to tell you it's probably bad to be outside when it is freaking orange out and you can't see very far? I did notice here the AQI numbers would fluctuate during the day, so you probably could find a lower reading to justify that it wass "safe".

Then they would say it didn't feel that bad, like the PPMs can be felt.

Damaris

Such a fine line between ignorance and stupidity.  There's probably something of a sliding scale involving both, too.  And of course, there are many people who double down and stupidly remain ignorant despite the information and resources that are available.  Like Karen said, out here, we've had several years of experience with bad AQI.  Races and other events aren't held if it's unsafe.  It's sort of a fact of life now.  Clearly the fault of all the pansy-ass liberals out West.  

I did 10.5 easy miles with a couple RC friends.  Gray and foggy.  I don't think it's gotten above 60 this week.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lordy forbid we try to keep people alive! And yeah, you just described all Trump supporters, lol.

Damaris