Womens Running

Freezing Mondailies (Read 27 times)

Kilmisters

Thanks for suggestions, everyone; went to sports store and got myself these:

http://www.kinsmen.co.nz/images/kinsmen.co.nz/women-s-gloves-&-mittens-swix-split-mitt-swix-7D.jpg

Supposed to be long-distance skiing gloves thus the split, but they are so extremely warm and comfy that I don't really care - all the winter running gloves I've tried on during my quite lengthy ''research'' are not even close to being in the same league as these. Success Smile

7.5 miles today (had only 6 planned, but made a wrong turn and got a bit lost, oh well). First couple of miles were tough (coldest run since March for sure, a bit below 40 degrees), but it was fine after that. Had the groin muscle not complained, I'd be quite positive about Sunday, but now I don't really know. Time will show.

Off to watch NHL w DH; nice to have such early faceoff!

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Butts and guts kicked my BUTT. Geez. I always feel so out of shape in that class..was struggling. After the class one of my girlfriends came by and we just sat around and watched reality trash and then took a nap. I would say that is the perfect day off!

OH HCBF decided to work from the RVA office today. So he is home already Smile He still has to do some work but I am happy he stayed local. He isn't feeling real well. His mouth is still swollen from all the dental work and he is still on antibiotics.

I am icing my knee now and probably will start packing since i won't be wearing SWEATERS in Virginia anytime soon....I can go ahead and pack them for WI. I think the knee is a hamstring issue. I think I probably pulled it during Body Pump. Not sure why it took a few days to start to bother me..but that is the only thing I can think of that irritated it. We do a lot of dead lifts..and maybe I just over stretched or something. I overnighted a hamstring compression sleeve. I am going to try that out when I get it..just in case I need it on race day. This pain came out of no where! UGH. In the meantime..no body pump this week!

I am staying inside all day today. I am boycotting this awful weather. I doubt VA sees a Fall this year  This makes me want to move North.

Kilmisters - Frost?! Ugh I am so jealous!! As for gloves…Believe it or not I like mittens. The ones with the finger slots that also have the mitten top cover. That way if my hands start to get warm I can just pull back the top part. If that makes sense?

https://www.amazon.com/TrailHeads-Womens-Stretch-Convertible-Mittens/dp/B00FQPJCIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1507578022&sr=1-1&keywords=womens+running+mittens

OH the ones you bought will work! I have never seen them like that. Hmm interesting. Nice miles today! Maybe the groin was just a taper niggle? I hope so. Have a good night with DH Smile

Lori - Today is your Thanksgiving?! Wow, Happy Thanksgiving!! Can I come over and have some turkey?! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I used to go to Butts and Guts more but with training..it was a bit much..figured since I had a weekday off during taper I could squeeze it in Smile

Judy - Laughing at your DC comment to the nurse Smile like the companion category. Smile Hope the sink gets fixed soon!!

Kathryn - Congratulations again girl! You did it!!! Smile My miles are always a blur too..Smile I also always sleep CRAPPY the night after a LR or race. I am not sure why. Maybe you are so exhausted you can’t sleep? Not sure. Glad the pizza was yummy..you deserved it! I think you will be fine for MCM. Hopefully you won’t have to pee Smile When do you head home?

Diane - Wow, congrats on the 15 yesterday! That is awesome! Way to stick it out in 81 degrees - yuck.

Karen - I LOVE that picture of you yesterday. Be proud of those legs…thats one of my favorite parts about being a runner! The awesome legs hahaha. Seriously, you need to buy that picture! Nice job on the finish yesterday you baddass you. Oh yeah, I second Margaret, whats next on your goal list Smile

Sandy - I am crossing my fingers for MCM for you. Because…we are supposed to be warm here next week. Warm as in highs in the 70’s but the mornings still look in the 50’s. As long as the humidity isn’t around you should be good. Put me in the club of not sleeping well after a long run or race! I always have to take something to help me sleep. “Running your own race” I like that…I am going to remember that one! Nice job on the runs this weekend! I call that a win also..and the brunch afterwards…thats probably an even bigger win Smile Sounds like a fun weekend!! WOOHOOO for one more tough workout! Are you feeling ready to do another 26.2?! Do you run the marathon sans headphones?

Cathy - Humid this past week, huh?! NO. I will cry at the start line if it is still humid. LOL. I have been weather stalking every couple hours and have been noticing the temps going down. I really don’t mind the rain. Hopefully not a downpour though. Though..if it rains I won’t be able to use my headphones..so doing 26.2 sans headphones would be a new one for me. But I am not necessarily opposed to it. Do you run the race with headphones? Awe, pumpkin patch sounds fun! This weather is weird I hate it. If your foot is feeling good prior to the race will you keep it the half or are you going to drop to 5K regardless? Count me another one that hates math. UGH…hate hate hate math.

Margaret - Oh no about the fires!! Seems odd they are happening this time of year…is that common? Your run/walk with DH sounds fun! Smile I am with Sandy..you are a model patient! Not sure I would be the same. Yes, you are right about the IT band…I have had issues with it before and still wear a strap for it so I thought maybe it was somewhat related. But I looked it up online (of course because the internet is a great doctor) and its more hamstring. Weren’t you considering running in a crazy cool destination?? Thought you had mentioned it a few months ago. I forgot where, Brazil?

Ginny - Nice job on the 5K!! You did awesome! Hmm..80’s is warm. What is the weather like at start time? I say go for it..it probably won’t get to 80 until later in the afternoon. Don’t keep those legs under wraps! You  not only run but you work out with a trainer several times a week..I bet you have sexy legs Smile oh yes, I bought some sweaters..not like I can wear them anytime soon!

Tessa - That is exactly the reason why HCBF and I haven’t bought/carved pumpkins yet. In this heat..they wouldn’t last. IT SUCKS. You get tumbleweeds where you are?! News to me. I bet there are some tumbleweeds roaming VA right now..LOL..

Okay. Off to weather stalk...... Smile

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Oh I forgot something!

ITS RACE WEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK YYYEEEAAHHHHHH 

**Insert dancing runner in her underwear and running shoes**

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

woot woot Lizzie, go Lizzie....

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Arimathea

Tessa

Liz, September-October is usually our worst time of year for fires. This is the windy season. Santa Ana winds in southern California, I think they call them something else up north -- we all call them things that cannot be printed on this forum -- and hot, dry, windy weather combined with fuel that's dried out from a hot summer means fire danger. Chaparral, the brush that covers most of the hills and mountains in this area, is oily shrubbery and the stuff burns incredibly well.

Bad fires in the Napa-Sonoma area which is probably what's causing the bad air near Margaret, and a big one down here in Orange County that's blowing over south Los Angeles County. We can see the smoke from that one from our building. I don't think we're likely to have a bad one near us because, frankly, everything already burned this year or last.

And yes we have tumbleweeds. Miserable things. They are prickly and painful and a right mess to clean up.

Oh -- 6.52 on the TM at lunch, so average pace of just a hair under 10 mpm. (Like 9.59 mpm!)

Kilmisters

Oh I forgot something!

ITS RACE WEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK YYYEEEAAHHHHHH 

**Insert dancing runner in her underwear and running shoes**

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Same spirit/feeling here!! I know I shouldn't really be worried this time as it's hardly about PR/time goal, but still... Smile

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Starting dinner and have done nothing today except lunch and drinks with my friend.  Here is my RR.  Will do shoutouts once I have the meat cooking!

I ran the Chicago Marathon this weekend (once again!) and had a lot of fun.  It was a hot race, as Chicago has been famous lately for, but I was still able to improve on my post knee surgery times and inching closer to my old times little by little.  Managed 4:58:51, an 11 minute post surgery "PR" and closer to my best times of 4:34, which I have not been even able to see in 2+ years.  I really didn't expect to see a 4 until later this year, if at all, so I was really happy to have managed to break 5 hours once again.

As every year in the last five (5) years, I ran one of my favorite races in my favorite city.  The Chicago Marathon is an amazing race and I noticed that from the first time I ran the course (I DNFd that year) and every year since.  I am going for legacy status so that I can get guaranteed entry and I am one year short of it, so I hope to complete it next year (hoping they don't change the rules, ha).

For those that don't know this, an asshole hit my car in late December which resulted in a meniscus tear on my knee and arthroscopic knee surgery on January 31, 2017.  I was running 20 days after that and finished PT in due course.  Ran two marathons after surgery (Ottawa and RnR Seattle) and then managed to get my patella out of place at Orange Theory doing a 12 minute distance "challenge" Smile  Serves me right for thinking "I got this!", LOL.  I started PT right after that and, with 3 weeks until Iceland, I had basically the deepest taper in known existence.  Finished the marathon well and managed a 21 minute improvement post surgery, so hey, it worked!

Since then, between PT, Orange Theory, and training, the knee has been feeling good and I felt in my heart that I had a sub-5 hour in me already, but didn't know if I could pull it off at Chicago, the race I always do badly at.  It's always a race where I put a lot of goals into it and fail each and every one. So, this time, I decided to just not care about the result.  After all, I have another marathon next week, so worrying about a goal for Chicago would be stupid, right?  Went into the race not really caring about the time, so long as I finish.

We arrived in Chicago on Saturday around noon and had lunch at our favorite brunch place, Yolk, followed by the expo.  It was raining and super windy, not good weather to run a marathon, so glad the marathon wasn't that day.  Sunday would be warm but sunny and hopefully, not windy.  We got to the hotel after 6pm and managed dinner at Carmine's, one of our favorite spots in Chicago at 8:30pm and was in bed by 11pm, my normal bedtime.

Carbo Loading:

We were staying at the Congress, a hotel I love with the exception that at 5:22am on the dot, the loud speakers for the race started (last year they were loud and wouldn't let me sleep) but this year they were low.  Managed to sleep on and off until 6:30am and got ready.

I had brought my normal pre-marathon breakfast of two Krispy Kreme donuts and a Mtn Dew from Miami.  For someone that barely eats any carbs, the sugar rush is always nice!  Met with my friend and fellow INKnBURN Alumni, Andrea, got our picture taken,

and headed into the corrals at around 7:30am.  I was in the second wave, starting at 8am.

The pics are not all in but based on the ones I've gotten so far, I think I'm going to purchase them.  Here is one of mine from the corrals:

I normally hear the first wave go out but this year, they had a lot more security and different corral placings (the extra security was added after the Las Vegas mass shooting), so I heard only music unrelated to the first wave.  Talked to some people in my corral for a bit and finished my breakfast.  We started on time and I started around 8:13am or so.

Miles 1-13.1

Since I have the Detroit Marathon next week, my plan was to run/walk this race at an easy pace.  And of course, I did the opposite, ha.  The pace felt really easy and my knee felt amazing, so I continued.  I knew the race was getting warm quickly and I wanted to run as much distance as possible before the sun started to kill me.  I had a successful first half (haha, famous last words) and maintained a pace around 10:30mm crossing the HM point in 2:19 or thereabouts.  Texted my husband on a walk break that I was past the halfway point (last year I texted him at 10-11 and told him I felt like shit and wanted to quit, so I thought telling him I was doing fine was helpful Smile ) and he texted back, thought you were taking it slow?  Oops.

Miles 13.2 - 18

The second half takes us out of downtown and where there is no shade.  I was doing fine until Mile 15 or 16 where I got my first calf cramp.  I had been dealing with some calf cramps and calf tightness ever since Iceland and I had not been able to find out why.  I got some cramps during the Reykjavik Marathon but not as bad as today.  I had kept with my gels (every 4.5 miles) and took Gatorade and water at every water station, so it wasn't an issue with nutrition. It was also not an issue with pacing, since I ran Iceland super easy and still got them.  It's just something I need to figure out why it's happening in some runs of 5, 10, 15, and 26.2 miles without reason.

Here is the view of the amount of shade we had during this part of the course.

Man, I'm not short but this woman makes me feel like I am. Smile

Miles 19-26.2

I fixed my shoe hoping it would help the cramping/tightness and continued on.  The second time I got the calf cramp on the other leg was at Mile 21 in front of Chinatown and in front of the photographer.  I bet you that picture opportunity will turn out amazing. LOL.

I had to stop to stretch right there and then figured running would loosen it up faster and it did.  Continued on until Mile 23 where the guy in front of me was running while asleep (best way to describe it).  The guy probably had heat exhaustion, if not worse.  He kept tripping on the sidewalk, his head was to the side, and he was running like a drunk.  I asked if he was OK and forced him to stop and sit down where there was some shade.  Crossed to the aid station and requested medical to find him.  I didn't wait for them to get there but the guy told me he would not move from there, so I continued on.  I hope he didn't because he was close to passing out when I grabbed him.

It was hot!  I texted my husband on another walk break and told him about the cramps and he said, it's hot AF.  We're from Miami, so this is not considered hot where we come from but it was hot for running a marathon for sure.  I wouldn't even run a marathon in this crap; wait, I just did, ha.  It was sunny, it was hot, people were dropping like flies.  Above my music, I could hear the constant wailing of the ambulances driving near us all through the race.  Every time I saw a medical car they had someone on it.  People were laying on the side of the road like crazy.  I felt fine, but I was so slow in the last 5 miles, I thought I would never get to the Willis Tower, LOL.  It looked so far at Mile 24!

Somewhere around here, I look to the left and I looked at my friend and former coach Walter, on the side.  Managed to whisper his name and he saw me.  Gave me the biggest hug in the world and asked me how I was doing. Told him that I was fine, even though I started out too fast and had calf cramps and rambled some more until I continued running and left him talking by himself, LOL.  Marathon brain at its finest!  Sorry!

Anyway, I continued with the run/walk ratio I started with but, of course, the walks got slower, and the runs too, so the drop in pace was brutal.  I lost close to 20 minutes on the second half. I am sure I started out too fast, but I felt fine other than it was hot and I felt the sun was draining my chi.

The water stations got harder to manage.  People were there taking 3-4 cups, throwing water over their heads, walking in tandem. It took a while to get a cup and continue. You could see it was hot for sure.  I was taking two cups myself, one for drinking, one for throwing over my head.

As I got to Mile 25, I texted my husband I had one mile to go and when I passed the sign that says One mile to go, I dropped the walks. I ran straight through. I knew I had to run the last hill or I would lose the sub-5.  I was so tired at this point and wanted to walk the last two walk breaks but pushed on.  Didn't want to run the hill but I did.  How much do you want the sub-5 again, eh?  Lots!  Then run, bitch, run!  LOL.

As I am heading through the chute and listening to everybody's name (missed mine or mine was not mentioned), at Mile 26.18, I got a calf cramp from hell.  The finish line was right there, damn it!  I couldn't even move my knee so I ran the last 0.02 with a straight leg. I bet the finish line pictures will be awesome too. LOL.

I finished in 4:58:51, I had done it!  It's been two years since I was able to break 5 hours, between my blood pressure scare and meds and my knee surgery, so it was awesome to see that time especially on a hot day.  As I stopped at the finish line, I couldn't move an inch.  Two medics came to me and asked if I needed help.  Told them no, just a cramp, and started moving slowly.  Two more volunteers asked me the same as I headed down the medals.  Apparently, I looked beat, ha.

And when I got to the medals, the first person handing them was none other than Deena Kastor.  OMG!  She was so complementary to the finishers, so happy to be there and witnessing people achieving goals!  She truly is very nice. And of course, I gushed and got a picture. Smile

What a way to end a great day!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Glad Mondays are typically a rest from running day, cause it was miserable out. 75 dewpoint in October, yuck. Did an upper body & core DVD.

For the weather stalking for MCM, I think that is the same weekend as Baltimore, October 21-22? If so, highs are supposed to be in the low 70s. Not ideal, but an improvement over what it is today.

Kilmisters, those gloves look warm.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My calves are super tight.  can't wait for my massage on Thursday!

Elina, that weather sounds lovely.   Good luck this weekend!

Bertha, Happy Thanksgiving!  Hoping to see you on Sunday!

Lizzie, nice job on the speedwork.

Judy, LOL at the comment.  Hope you enjoyed the trail.

Kathryn, nice job on the race.  Glad you were able to finish and glad the leg is getting better.

Diane, awesome 15.

Karen, hope you had some nice easy miles.

Sandy, I finished when it was 76F, according to my husband.  With the sun that felt much worse, even for me that I'm used to worse.

Cathy, nice weekend (well, except the tornado).

Margaret, nice easy run!  Hoping the fires do not reach you.

Ginny, nice job on the race and congrats on the win!  Yeah, I wasn't except a 4: whatever yet.

Tessa, nice job on the run. Awww, kitties hate for people to touch their ears.  They get so snippy, ha.

Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Excited. Neighbor just hired me to get him through his first 50k (actually a 54k as it's an ~11 mile loop). The kid is talented and fast but just goes out and runs 7 minute miles 3-4 times a week. He said he did a marathon a couple years ago but he didn't know what he was doing. So he's come to the old lady for training - combining my old age and treachery with his youth and enthusiasm. This is going to be fun.

I ran four super slow miles this morning. Cold front comes through tomorrow according to the weather forecast. The dew point will be in the low 70s in the morning, but drop down to the low 50s over the course of the day, so my group's speedwork should be much more pleasant at the track tomorrow night. I'm planning on a few easy miles in the morning and then OTF. Depending on how the legs are recovering I may or may not run the track workout with them tomorrow night.

Reading through and seeing lots of "listen to Karen"......I like that . I knew you people were my favorites.

Sandy, I would have done the same if I woke up to steady rain. Well, I wouldn't have done all the chores, I would have played on the internet, watched TV, read a book. Impressed you can help with pre-calc. I was a grader for a differential equations class in college one year, and at this point I don't even remember what a differential equation is. Math was my thing - As through three semesters of calc and diff eq, and now, nothing.

Cathy, that's some crazy weather you're having. Get rid of those 80s before Liz gets there! I hope the test running goes well and you get to do the 5K with DD.

Margaret, what a fun run with DH this week. One year during Fleet Week we were sailing our boat back into the Alameda estuary and almost got swamped by the Jeremiah O'Brien. Couldn't figure out what they were doing there until we saw the Blue Angels right overhead, coming into the Naval Air Station to land. That was cool.

Ginny, huge congrats on the AG win! For the half, what's the temp at 10 or 11 o'clock supposed to be? And more importantly what's the dew point? If it's going to be oppressive humid, I'd skip it. Otherwise, I'd run it with no expectations and just maybe surprise myself.

Lori, on the one hand that's annoying that the slowest pace group is 4:30. On the other hand, you won't have a large group of people in your way at aid stations, or if you want to pass them.

Tessa, I'm not laughing at the confused and pissed off kittens getting ear medicine, really I'm not.

Liz, if your bad weather sticks around a couple more days it will be worse than TX. Did I mention our dew point is dropping into the 50s for a day or two? Guess who is getting her long run done Wednesday or Thursday?

Damaris, nice RR. I am tempted to sign up for Chicago next year. I saw the guaranteed entry requirements and now that I'm 50 I only need a 4:10.....I don't need the state but it sure does seem like a good marathon. Even with the crappy weather years, people keep going back to it. Oh, I saw a RW article about Jordan Hasay's race there yesterday. Part of the quote from her coach: "We said if it’s really too fast, run behind some guy at 2:22 pace. She didn’t do that. But in hindsight, it’s great. If she had done that, I don’t think she would have run as fast as she did. I told her, ‘I’m glad you didn’t listen to me. You ran with your own heart and guts.’ That’s how you become a great athlete… by going for it."

HCK, that sounds miserable. Worse than here. Glad you didn't have to run in that. It's one thing in the middle of summer, but in October, no. Just no.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

HuronHeart

Ran 8 miles Sunday with RB. It was perfect temperature for me, low 60s and cloudy.  And, I placed 2nd in my AG in the 5k on Saturday!  Won a growler which is cool.  Did not see AG win coming because I am a slow runner but checking the stats I see all the fasties ran the HM. Haha.  The HM this weekend is the international in Detroit.

Kilmisters, beautiful weather in my corner of the world. I'm not ready for cold weather and short days. You have a HM this weekend?

Bertha/Lori, Happy Thanksgiving!  Our next door neighbors at our cottage are from Windsor. It's a 2 hour drive for them depending on the bridge traffic. Good job on your 20 miler. It's been unusually warm and humid for this time of year.

Lizzie, Your marathon is this weekend?  You have really put in the work.

Judy, your DC sounds like a keeper. What type of trails do you run on, dirt or paved?

Kats, Congrats!!  Way to persevere. You are one strong woman!  Cooler temps for MCM may also help you meet your time goal.

DHuffman, 10 miles on the TM plus 5 outside? Nice job!  Especially after the Dragons Milk. I like beer but I drink sissy beer, usually Coors Light.

Gatsbybird, way to multi-task; run, spend time with DH and watch air show all at the sample time.

Ginny, woohoo on 5k win!

Damaris, Congrats! You should be so pleased! Lol at your mantra. Your surgeon and PT should use your recovery story for advertising.

Turtles, interesting about the toe spreaders. I swear my feet keep getting wider making it hard to find cute shoes with room to wiggle my toes. I like style but comfort is starting to win me over.

Bikerchick, I did run the Brucklaufe on Saturday.  I live in "thumb" area of Michigan. Beautiful area to live in.  We are one of the hidden jewels of Michigan and I do not work in advertising or tourism.

Karen, yeah for the 10 mile win!  Your freakish leg muscles are everyone's dream!

Arimathea, WW win, always nice to be down in the lbs.  Not familiar with St.Francis service, it must be a blessing of animals.

Kathy

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, it's OK, we all laughed at the kittens shaking their heads and looking pissed off at the cold drops in their ears.

Damaris, great race report! Thanks for taking care of the guy who needed medical attention. I only have one criticism. It is the Sears Tower. It will always be the Sears Tower. (Yes I work for a competitor.) I do admit that the theme tied in well when Willis merged with Towers Watson and the insurance industry promptly dubbed the new firm, Willlis Towers Watson, "The Towering Willy".

Elina, those gloves will work well if you are doing the Vulcan greeting "live long and prosper" and want to use the hand sign as well.

Kathy, yes, the service is a blessing of the pets. I think we had about 20 dogs ranging from tiny little ones to a massive Great Dane plus 6 cats -- all of them our family's. We foster kittens for the spay neuter project and then bring them back to the clinic when they reach 2 pounds so they can be fixed and put up for adoption.

Liz, is there a race this weekend? I would never have guessed.

6.52 on the TM at lunch, I had to get back for a conference call in the afternoon. It is difficult to time a call with participants ranging from the UK to Honolulu -- 11 hours difference!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Karen, that's awesome.  Yeah, listen to Karen.  And don't go out at the pace you told Karen you wouldn't go out from the get go.  LOL.  And yes, do Chicago!  It's a great race.

Huron, nice 8.  Right?  The surgeon should for sure.  But he was the one that said no running for 6 weeks. I started running in 3, lol.

Tessa, nice TM run.  And yes, I call it the Sears Tower but always get corrected into saying Willis, so I put the official name on it.  But I had to think for a bit what's it called now, ha.

Damaris